XY Pokémon That Don't Learn Attacks That Fit Them - Why Should They Learn Them?

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
(Yeah, the usual why-doesn't-[insert pokémon]-learn-[move]-? rant...)

*Please remember to explain why you feel said Pokémon should learn [insert move]. - Dedenne*

So, for starters:
-Delphox and Greninja - No Focus Blast! I know Focus Blast has bad acc. and all but not only do they lose important Fighting coverage, it really makes me wonder why GF thinks a magical bipedal fox and a ninja frog can't learn Focus Blast... For comparison, Zoroark and Politoad (other pokémon based on similar creatures) can learn Focus Blast, so, really GF?

-(Mega) Gyarados - No Crunch... This is not new but considering Gyarados has a Mega Evo that is part Dark, one would think they would finally give the more powerful version of Bite to the giant-mouthed-serpent... Its only physical Dark moves are, again, Bite and Payback which is only good if you go on the slower side and doesn't pair well with DD...

-(Mega) Mewtwo X - Again, another Mega Evo with no decent STAB for its new type. At least, Ampharos got Dragon Pulse in its learnset and Charizard always had Dragon moves in its learnset. One would expect they would give M2X Close Combat, but no... You have to stick with Drain Punch, which is decent but only available if you bring Mewtwo from Gen V (same happens with Zen Headbutt, which is stronger than Psycho Cut). Otherwise, you can only use Brick Break...

-XYZ Legends - Xerneas and Yveltal have the same stats and twin offenses. However, Xerneas doesn't learn Play Rough, the only physical Fairy move. Yveltal, on the other hand, only has Sucker Punch has a good physical Dark-type move but is always a risky move.
Also, even though Xerneas is a grounded pokémon Pokémon, for some reason, GF thinks it is not strong enough to learn Earthquake when things like Pineco or Glalie are perfectly capable of doing so.
As for Yveltal, it also doesn't learn Earthquake, probably because it's an airbone pokémon like Zekrom and Reshiram before it who suffer from the same problem. But again, when similar pokémon like Rayquaza, Lugia and Ho-oh can learn it, you know something is wrong at GF's HQ. In Yveltal's case, it is worse than Xerneas as it would have a move to cover its Electric weakness.
Last and definitely least, Zygarde learns Outrage and Dragon Tail as physical Dragon STAB to complement its boosting moves (DD or Coil). However, Fairies are now amongst us, so being locked into Outrage is not as awesome as it was. Plus, Dragon Tail is weak and has negative priority. On the other side of the spectrum, it has Dragon Pulse and (obviously) Draco Meteor but guess what? Its Sp. Atk stat is even worse than its Attack stat, so going mixed when you have two physical boosting moves is a waste... If it learned Dragon Rush (it's a bit of a stretch but not as much as suggesting Dragon Claw), it would be good to use on a Coil set.

That's it for now. I think there was some other pokémon I wanted to mention but I can't remember...

Comment yourselves now...

RE: Moves that Pokémon should get but don't - Gen VI Edition

Metalizard said:
However, Xerneas doesn't learn Play Rough, the only physical Fairy move.
I wouldn't exactly expect a graceful, live-granting being to play rough. I'd expect it to give life and fight when necessary.

Apparently Umbreon didn't get Moonblast. I call bullshit.

- Togekiss that can't learn Moonblast.
Given a Fairy type, i almost thought it can learn Moonblast at some point of time in Togetic or relearnable during Togekiss, but nope, so i stuck with Dazzling Gleam without secondary effect to abuse with Serene Grace.

- Delphox should be able to learn Dazzling Gleam (?)
Being all glamorous wizard, kinda weird it can't learn one. Nice Fairy coverage to add if it learnable.

don()shinobi said:
Metalizard said:
However, Xerneas doesn't learn Play Rough, the only physical Fairy move.
I wouldn't exactly expect a graceful, live-granting being to play rough. I'd expect it to give life and fight when necessary.

Xerneas learns Megahorn, Close Combat and Giga Impact by level up... Seems actually quite offensive to me for a graceful pokémon... I was surprised when I saw its learnset had the latter two moves... heck, even its stats, I thought it would be more defensive oriented judging by its look...

Speaking of Dazzling Gleam... It seems that pokémon related to gems and such are likely to learn it. Well, Sableye, an example of such pokémon learns it but Gigalith, another example, doesn't...

Ririka said:
- Delphox should be able to learn Dazzling Gleam (?)
Being all glamorous wizard, kinda weird it can't learn one. Nice Fairy coverage to add if it learnable.

It seems even more odd when one considers that Dazzling Gleam's Japanese name is Magical Shine (or something along those lines)

I feel that Delphox's moveset should definitely be revamped to include Dazzling Gleam.

RE: Pokémon That Don't Learn Attacks That Fit Them - Generation 6

Chestnaught withoutDrain Punch

Where the fudge is logic, when you need it?

I'm surprised no one posted...

INKAY CAN'T LEARN SURF.

Chestnaught can't learn shell smash, would be SO fudging awesome!!! ;/

one more I've seen

Our Overlord Goomy can't learn Acid Armor
Considering it is a move associated with the 'gooey' Pokemon, it doesn't seem too much of a stretch that Goomy could learn it.
(altho there is the possibility that its an Egg move for His Goominess and we haven't discovered it)

I found 2 more...
Tyrantrum can't learn any Fire attacks. This complaint may seem weird at first as it is not a Fire-type but when you consider that other Rock, Dragon and/or Dinossaur-like pokémon like Aggron, Rhyperior, Tyranitar and Druddigon can, it doesn't make sense that Tyrantrum can't spit flames or learn a single fire move, more specifically, Fire Fang. Unless it learns the Elemental fangs through breeding, Strong Jaw is a useless ability cause it only learns Bite and Crunch. There are other Pokémon which would make better use of that ability like, again, Tyranitar and specially Drapion which also has Bug Bite and Poison Fang besides all the other biting moves...

The second one is Dedenne, which is Electric/Fairy. It only learns Play Rough as a damaging Fairy move but its Sp. Atk is much better than its Attack, it doesn't even learn Dazzling Gleam... Wasted Fairy STAB...

Heliolisk can't learn Solarbeam. It can have solar power and solar panel type things around its neck but can't learn solar beam. It has a shallow move-pool overall.

Trainerhan1 said:
Heliolisk can't learn Solarbeam. It can have solar power and solar panel type things around its neck but can't learn solar beam. It has a shallow move-pool overall.

Yes, helioptile and heliolisk's movepool is terrible, I still can't believe they don't have solar power as their only ability... their whole schtick is that they generate power from sunlight, and they go and give them dry skin, which actually harms them in sunlight? or sand veil? so, they are supposed to do one thing with sunny day, but in practice, they need either sandstorm or rain dance? and they don't learn solarbeam, but they do learn grass knot? and don't learn sunny day for when they do have solar power? shameful; I think GF dropped the ball hard on this one.

The only thing that redeems them a little is dry skin+rain dance+surf+thunder but even then it isn't that good/cool a combo to replace solar power+sunny day+solarbeam.

Oh, also:

AMPHAROS DOESN'T LEARN F****** TAIL GLOW. F***

They gave ampharos the useless magnetic flux (awesome name, though) and ion deluge (again, awesome name) but they didn't give her f****** tail glow. And can't learn dazzling gleam by TM, also.
Game. freak. what in the everloving F*** were you thinking?

Clauncher and Clawitzer don't have Shell Smash. They are lobsters, and lobsters have shells. So why can't they learn Shell Smash?

ChillBill said:
Clauncher and Clawitzer don't have Shell Smash. They are lobsters, and lobsters have shells. So why can't they learn Shell Smash?

It's actually a carapace, or an exoskeleton. Not a shell like Cloyster and other bivalve-like Pokémon have.

Meowstic only learns one fairy type move. And it does 40 damage. So much for defense against dark types. Why can't it learn dazzling gleam? That follows their lack-of logic [Fennekin learns power up punch. I get why it's evos do, but.... just wat].

Delphox and dazzling gleam, we got that already

Only one physical fairy move. At least it's good, but... really?

Physical birds can't learn drill peck. I'm pretty sure birds know how to spin and peck at things. This should be on at least Staraptor and Talonflame.

I know this is about Gen VI Pokemon but can I just say (and I'm pretty sure this goes for a lot of us) THAT SCYTHER NOT LEARNING FLY IS THE STUPIDEST THING ABOUT ALL THE GAMES.

I also agree strongly with Umbreon not learning Moonblast and Delphox not learning Dazzling Gleam. It just doesn't make sense that they don't learn them to me. :/

Thunderbolt;
90 power, 15 pp, 100 acc, chance of para [ie good effect]

Wild Charge;
90 power, 15 pp, 100 acc, hurts you [ie bad effect]

What the heck? Either power up WC or take away the getting hurt part. Flame Charge doesn't hurt you. Just.... why....

I love how they ignore all of these blatant problems. DO THEY EVEN PLAY THE GAMES??? I mean really take any random pokemon fan and they could give you a list of all the things that don't make sense. Hell, I'm sure people would help them for free. Literally all they'd have to do would be to walk outside, find someone who plays pokemon, and ask them. Or, you know, GO ON ANY POKEMON SITE AT ALL. This stuff is all around them. I just don't understand how such a big company could be so dense. It would gain them money by simply getting some sort of PR position to research these kind of things. I almost want to major in graphical design and be so dam amazing that they hire me just so I can freaking tell them all of these issues.

^Well, apparently, from what I read somewhere, they even laugh about the fan complaints, so, yeah, it seems they don't really care...

@AscheRune: Actually, this is supposed to englobe all pokémon, I just called it "gen 6 edition" because we have new pokémon and new moves to add to the discussion...

Back