XY Pokémon Playthrough Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
RE: Pokémon X / Y : Playthrough Questions & Answers

Yeah, it's fine to post there, no worries. I wouldn't have linked you otherwise. :)

LePaix

Aspiring Trainer
Breeding issues

I'm trying to breed Spheal on Pokemon X but when I try things from the appropriate egg group the pokemon are incompatible. I've tried Dewgong and Lapras as breeding partners. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
RE: Breeding issues

LePaix said:
I'm trying to breed Spheal on Pokemon X but when I try things from the appropriate egg group the pokemon are incompatible. I've tried Dewgong and Lapras as breeding partners. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Have you checked that they're opposite genders?
When you deposit them in the daycare, what does the guy outside say about them?

NoDice

Pancham=PURE AWESOME

If the daycare man says "They don't seem to like each other much" it means they are compatible, but its going to produce eggs at a VERY slow rate. So, if this is the case keep trying.

If the daycare man says "They prefer to play with other Pokémon" it means they will NOT produce any eggs and are incompatible.

And of course, as Keeper of Night said, make sure that the female is Spheal (in order to get Spheal offspring), and make sure that Dewgong and Lapras are males.

LePaix

Aspiring Trainer

Ohhhhh. I feel like a dope. They are opposite genders, but when he said they didn't like each other very much I assumed that meant they wouldn't breed. Thanks everyone, I'll just try again and deal with it taking a little while.

Chocolate Death

I should be the Water Trial Captain now!

Wait, the key to breeding is having one be yours and another not caught or hatched by you. I don't know why, but this makes them breed like crazy.

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid

Chocolate Death said:
Wait, the key to breeding is having one be yours and another not caught or hatched by you. I don't know why, but this makes them breed like crazy.
there are several things that can help pokemon breed faster. First is having at at least one without your OT. Having the same OT doesn't matter as long as it's not yours. Second, if they're the same species, they're more likely to breed. Sadly, evolutions count as different species, so squirtle + wartortle doesn't breed as fast as squirtle + squirtle. Lastly, being borderline in relation, is egg group. Essentially if at least one egg group (some mons have 2) matches or is the ditto then an egg can be produced. The only exceptions are for two ditto egg group pokemon and for any pokemon in the "Undiscovered" group, of which both scenarios cannot result in an egg. An Oval Charm (At least see, if not have caught, all pokemon in all 3 regional Kalos pokedexes. Only one of the Kanto bird trio is needed, however.) can increases the chance of an egg being produced for all levels of how pokemon "get along" in the daycare, bar when an egg can't be produced, ofc.

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Pokemon Global Link

Not sure if I should put this here or in the other 2 X/Y threads. Earlier we had heard about the global link going mobile as well as the regular site. Has there been any new announcements about a possible mobile app? If so when is the app supposed to be available? Also are they going to make an app for tablets as well as the 3DS? Thanks XD.:)

EDIT: I have found an unauthorized Pokemon Global Link app for android. It works pretty good but the games lag but they do work XD. If anyone wants a link to the site please PM me. Thanks XD.:)

NoDice

Pancham=PURE AWESOME

iSharingan said:
Chocolate Death said:
there are several things that can help pokemon breed faster. First is having at at least one without your OT. Having the same OT doesn't matter as long as it's not yours. Second, if they're the same species, they're more likely to breed. Sadly, evolutions count as different species, so squirtle + wartortle doesn't breed as fast as squirtle + squirtle. Lastly, being borderline in relation, is egg group. Essentially if at least one egg group (some mons have 2) matches or is the ditto then an egg can be produced. The only exceptions are for two ditto egg group pokemon and for any pokemon in the "Undiscovered" group, of which both scenarios cannot result in an egg. An Oval Charm (At least see, if not have caught, all pokemon in all 3 regional Kalos pokedexes. Only one of the Kanto bird trio is needed, however.) can increases the chance of an egg being produced for all levels of how pokemon "get along" in the daycare, bar when an egg can't be produced, ofc.

Where was it confirmed that only one Kanto bird was required? I got the Oval charm and didn't save the birds for last so I cant confirm myself.

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid

I got it with all entries but zapdos and articuno (before bank). I know it works with only 1 bird.

Zielo

Caught 'em all.
Shiny Charm

Alright, I've looked everywhere, and there does not seem to be any detailed explanation as to what the Shiny Charm does and doesn't work with. Maybe with its own thread, we could get more answers.

Does it work with the Friend Safari? If it doesn't, then what is better, shiny hunting in the Safari or shiny hunting in any other grass patch?

Does it work with chain fishing?

Does it work with Pokeradar chaining?

Does it work with egg hatching? What about Mesuda Method?

By what percent/fraction does the charm actually increase shinyness by?

I think thats about it. Everywhere I looked seemed really unsure about what the Shiny Charm can and can't do. I just got mine yesterday finally, and I really don't want to be wasting its potential by spending all my time in the Safari if it doesn't even work there.

LLR

Vivillon Trader
RE: Shiny Charm

Zielo said:
Alright, I've looked everywhere, and there does not seem to be any detailed explanation as to what the Shiny Charm does and doesn't work with. Maybe with its own thread, we could get more answers.

Does it work with the Friend Safari? If it doesn't, then what is better, shiny hunting in the Safari or shiny hunting in any other grass patch?

I think thats about it. Everywhere I looked seemed really unsure about what the Shiny Charm can and can't do. I just got mine yesterday finally, and I really don't want to be wasting its potential by spending all my time in the Safari if it doesn't even work there.

Here are the odds of finding a shiny.

Base rate: 1/8192
Base rate with Shiny Charm: 1/2730
Breeding with MM in Gen 4: 1/1639
Breeding with MM in Gen 5: 1/1366
Breeding with MM + Shiny Charm: 1/1024

Base rate in Gen 6: 1/4096
Base rate in Gen 6 with Shiny Charm: 1/1365
Friend Safari: 1/512
Breeding with MM in Gen 6: 1/683
Breeding with MM + Shiny Charm in Gen 6: 1/456

Does it work with the Friend Safari? There are 2 statistical analysis done that suggest No the odds are fixed. But individual reports suggest otherwise.

Does it work with chain fishing? possibly. Have not seen odds or the answer to this one.

Does it work with Pokeradar chaining? possibly. Have not seen odds or the answer to this one.

Does it work with egg hatching? What about Mesuda Method? Yes.

Prince Dedenne

Elite Shiny Hunter
RE: Shiny Charm

Zielo said:
Alright, I've looked everywhere, and there does not seem to be any detailed explanation as to what the Shiny Charm does and doesn't work with.

None of us will ever know for sure until Game Freak gives us the info, (which will never happen) or the games are hacked into.

No one knows for sure at the moment. But my personal opinion with my experiences is yes.

It should,Pokémon that are obtainable through fishing are caught in the wild.

I would think so, I haven't used the PokéRadar since I received the Shiny Charm in XY, but since the Pokémon found using the radar are wild Pokémon, the Shiny Charm should work. But still, no one knows for sure .

That's the one question that no one can answer. It's a split theory, some will say yes, and others will say no. The Japanese version of XY state that the Shiny Cahrm increases the chances of encountering shiny Pokémon.... period. But other languages, like English, specifically state that the Shiny Charm increases the chance of finding shiny Pokémon in the wild. So at the moment, there is no certain answer as to whether the Shiny Charm works with breeding.

In X and Y, the odds of randomly encountering a shiny Pokémon are thought to be 1/4096. But with the Shiny Charm, the odds are thought to be around 1/1365.

Zielo

Caught 'em all.

Awesome, so I guess shiny hunting in regular grass is only worth it if you're after a specific pokemon then.
Now, as far as the MM method goes... I feel like the safari would still be faster at getting Shinies in the long run because you still have to take the time to hatch the eggs. Safari seems to go by much quicker in that aspect. But maybe ill give it a shot and play around with it for a while. Thanks for your answers!

Now all we really need to know is if it works with chaining in both fishing and radar.

Okay... Well there's the confusion again, everyone has different answers. x[

MtheW

What is MtheW? The world may never know.

To simplify it for you, I would say, if you want to dedicate time to searching for shinies with the shiny charm, only search in the wild because that's what the shiny charm actually says it works on. Other than that, we have no hard evidence that it works for anything else.

So any way you can find "wild" pokemon, it helps with the shiny rate.

LLR

Vivillon Trader

MtheW said:
To simplify it for you, I would say, if you want to dedicate time to searching for shinies with the shiny charm, only search in the wild because that's what the shiny charm actually says it works on. Other than that, we have no hard evidence that it works for anything else.

So any way you can find "wild" pokemon, it helps with the shiny rate.

That's true but the best shiny rates are in the Friend Safaris and with MM.

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star

I remember someone telling the charm barely affects chaining with the pokeradar. The odds are barely cut to the point that you still have to do the work, that your best odds cap at 1/39 instead of 1/40.

I can't remember what the math was exactly but from personal experience it doesn't affect it by much.

Fastest Chains (without charm)
9, 22 and 15

Fastest Chains with Charm
25, 30, 32

I have hit 40 with the charm and felt like it took about the same time without it.

Luck still playing a huge factor, there isn't a surefire way to tell if the charm actually does anything.

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member

As far as I can see the Shiny Charm makes the appearance rate cut in half than if you did not use it. At least that is what the dude says when you get it or something.:)

FoxFire

Fox Pokemon Rule!

According to Bulbapedia, the Shiny Charm does apply when breeding, and does combine with the Masuda Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.