'Phantom Gate' Scans and Translations! [9/10]

Gengar and mega gengar take up Golbats and Crobats image space. Zubat and golbat do the same too. Poor zubat was replaced with crobat.

I wouldn't mind a Zygarde Full art :)

though will there be a set after this? but before the new ORAS era?

i suppose Zygarde might be a Promo instead or in some half deck dealy or small mini set before the ORAS one

I think I have a prediction for the next 3 ORAS sets, though it's a bit sketchy...

ORAS1: Will be split into 2 sets in Japan, one based on each game, and will Feature 1 Primal Legendary and Mega Starter. One starter might be omitted, though.

ORAS2: Will feature Team Magma and Team Aqua Pokemon, which play similar to Team Plasma, with Tech cards to support each type. The 2 Mega's would be Camerupt and Sharpedo, obviously.

ORAS3: Will feature Fairy M. Gardevoir and Fighting M. Gallade.

I would prefer your predicted ORAS3 to come out before your ORAS2 myself. Gardevoir/Gallade is and their megas are much more important in my book than Aqua/Magma Pokemon and their support. For ORAS one we don't know for sure that any starter will be omitted. Granted all sets until this have had only two M. EX (bar the exception of M. Charizard EX because of the Japanese theme deck) but then again maybe with ORAS stuff they'll increase the number of M. EX Pokemon in a set.

Side bar: There are 34 unreleased EX Pokemon right now (ignoring the M. Metagross EX which we will have a version of in November and factoring in only one regardless of type) and that ignores any other new Mega Pokemon, we have heard there will be at least one more in the demo and of course the Primals (at least 2 and could be more) and even though they may not be concerned with getting all of them out before this generation of cards ends (though no one can prove that one way or another) it still wouldn't hurt them to increase the number of M EX's in a set.

I too would actually like a Zygarde EX. Sure it's not the most visually pleasing Pokemon but I don't care. I too wonder where Zygarde is, as it was mentioned earlier Giratina and Rayquaza were released before their 'games' (ie Platinum and Emerald). We're still looking at at least another six months after the release of ORAS before we get Pokemon Z or X2/Y2, whichever route they take. This assumes Zygarde is anything special in game, something we're only assuming based on the prcedent of the last few games.

God this set is so underwhelming. The only thing I want is two Lysandre's Last Resorts as Full Arts for my Pyroar deck.

Really? I actually felt this set is my favorite since XY! I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions.

I can see why people would like this. I mean I think all the Full Arts look really good, but Gengar and M-Gengar are kind of meh. If you want a bulky Fighting Counter go ahead, or if you want a Big Basic deck that attacks all major weaknesses go ahead. I personally will just stick with Mewtwo EX.

Also am I the only one that thinks that these are the best looking Full Arts we have gotten. The Supporters all look pretty top, and Florges is the only Okay looking Pokemon Full Art. Also does Manetric look a little off? Well the only set that matches the Full Arts is Flashfire.

I think my biggest disappointments with this set are

1. The artwork for Full Manectric and Full Art Gengar, the backgrounds are good but Manectric's head and Gengar's face is too big. They're not as bad as Charizard but still.

2. The fact they made Malamar an ex, I mean they might as well have made Rattata a full art, or Ninetales...

3. I don't like this ectoplasm thing they are doing

4. The holos, the Pokemon are so upclose that the holo effect is essentially like those "sky" holos from Black and White where they just put holo on te sky even though the sky was just in the corner. Also the artwork on some is terrible like Pyroar.

5. Kind of tired of these full art supporters with random names like Pokemon Center Lady, Lysandre's Last Resort and AZ. also not a huge fan of the artwork on some of them such as Lysandre, Korrina and in this set AZ and the other guy with the red suit.

Maserati777 said:

1. The artwork for Full Manectric and Full Art Gengar, the backgrounds are good but Manectric's head and Gengar's face is too big. They're not as bad as Charizard but still.

2. The fact they made Malamar an ex, I mean they might as well have made Rattata a full art, or Ninetales...

4. The holos, the Pokemon are so upclose that the holo effect is essentially like those "sky" holos from Black and White where they just put holo on te sky even though the sky was just in the corner. Also the artwork on some is terrible like Pyroar.

5. Kind of tired of these full art supporters with random names like Pokemon Center Lady, Lysandre's Last Resort and AZ. also not a huge fan of the artwork on some of them such as Lysandre, Korrina and in this set AZ and the other guy with the red suit.
You clearly haven't played the games. The names aren't random at all.

Maserati777 said:

Yea, I don't like Phantom Gate as much as Legendary Treasures, Furious Fists, or even Plasma Freeze, but I think that your arguement's are kind of invalid. The reason I don't like the set is merely the playability of the Pokemon, not the artwork. But really, Pyroar? Some of the best artwork in the set!

I don't play so I only care about the artwork. I prefer the single name full arts from Black & White to these new ones like Pokemon Fan Club, Pokemon Center Lady and Lysandre's Last Resort which sounds like a trainer card.

But I didn't much care for the portrait style artwork of Lysandre or the Korrina full art artwork either.

Its actually a good thing that a Gengar has finally debuted, it has been 17 sets since the last Gengar, and that was a PRIME. Now they just need to bring out Gastly and Haunter.

To each their own. Personally I don't think Trainer cards should be full arts in a POKEMON tcg myself, but others would disagree with that one, after all Nintendo seem to have been placing trainers in as a high of importance as the Pokemon themselves, maybe more.

I kind of like Manectric EX full art but can see the point about Gengar EX full art. I also kind of like the full art Malamar EX, I think it's the most interesting one in this set (again with the evil and kind of cool). Really to compare it to a Rattata full art...well again as I say to each their own, and I would see no problem with a Ninetailes full art.

I think some trainer names are random. Pokemon Center Lady (for us NA's, just call her Nurse Joy, sheesh). Battle Reporter, Fossil Researcher Pokemon Fan Club. All full art trainers and those are totally random names. At least Korrina, Iris, Lysandre/Last Resort (and did we really need two full arts of Lysandre?), Ghestis, etc. are real named full art trainers. At least items haven't gotten full art treatment, yet. Or Stadiums but that might actually look kind of neat admittedly.

I have to say I absolutely agree with this guy above me. I am so sick of seeing random trainer cards getting full arts. It makes no sense, it's like an artist was like "hey! I wanna make some extra money and I like to draw. Can you make this a full art pokemon card? THANKS!" And they did. >_> They could totally make the gym leaders the majority of the supporters but no, let's just make up some random person that's no even in the game, or let's just take this random trainer that they battle in the game. Ooh look! These crazy Pokemon fans look good for a supporter card! Let's make a Pokemon Fan Club supporter and then a full art version!

It was cool the first couple of times... They made N a full art. We all knew that card was going to be game changer and so it deserved a full art. Skyla was also used a lot so that getting a FA treatment made sense. These two are also kinda popular I guess so I can see why they'd do it. I don't get the random nameless trainers though.

I'm also not a fan of this set's full arts as... they may be named trainers but they are odd choices or weird artwork. AZ is ugly as sin. Xerosic looks like he's about to do a prostate exam... and Lysandre looks like he wants to play Beyblade. Bleh.

Which supporters are people that aren't even in the games? And which ones are random trainers that one battles in the games?

Pokemon Fan Club is a reprint of a card way back from Aquapolis, which was based on the actual in-game Pokemon Fan Club.

AZ is ugly because he's literally over 3,000 years old. It's part of his character.

Xerosic looks like a doctor because he is one. The gloves are in the games as a design element so they're in the card too.

Don't really know how Lysandre could be construed as "want[ing] to play Beyblade", but that's not really that important.

Overall, I think the all of the full art supporters in this set (as well as the sets before it) all look really good. It's not like other random supporters are being purposely excluded for having full art versions so that these ones can. Almost every supporter card has had a full-art print since full arts have been introduced, popular or not (e.g. Cheren). The artists that make these aren't just random people on the internet that ask TPC for some money in exchange for art. They're real artists that do various sorts of work professionally and choose to contribute art to the Pokemon TCG when asked, or even ask to be featured.

If TPC printed a supporter card for every gym leader, or even most of them, it would get incredibly bland and repetitive. Outside of the anime, gym leaders virtually no character development whatsoever, so their card's effects would have to be based on their types and what little we do know. I would much rather see cards printed for the story-relevant characters that actually do have a more fleshed out personality.

Overall, I don't really understand your opinions. I can't say they're wrong, because that would be silly, but I don't see the basis. Have you actually played the video games (genuine question)?

All I'm wondering is why they haven't done any Secret Rare reprints lately. Gold Escape Rope would be sick.

And can we get some sort of holographic Fairy Energy, please? Hell, it would be nice to see something like the Matrix Energies again.

I myself have played every single main game, several times. I don't object to the trainers themselves, merely their full art versions. Although when was the last time you played Plus Power or Defender on your Pokemon in the video game? When was the last time you used Gust of Wind/Pokemon Catcher on your opponents Pokemon in the video game? Being part of one Pokemon continuity doesn't necessarily mean it has to be part of the other(s).

Giving a random trainer card a FA is like (to use an earlier saying) making a FA Rattata. Really who do you remember fighting in the game more, some random trainer who is classified as a Pokefan or Gym Leader Skyla or Gym Leader Korinna (who in fact did a bit more than just that)? Some random Researcher (fossil or otherwise) or the villain of the game like Ghestis or Lysandre? Who do you remember having a conversation with more, some random Battle Reporter or Professor Juniper? If they're going to make FA of trainer cards at least let's make them someone who matters. Some random Pokefan or random 'insert team name here' grunt doesn't fall in this category, though I realize to date the latter haven't been FA. Even someone like Xerosic, is he really that memorable compared to someone like Bianca or Cheren?

And yes in case anyone is curious I would object to Pokemon Center Lady alot of less if they called her Nurse Joy (and if the artwork didn't look as creepy) but that's the anime side talking I suppose. Of course that is part of the reason I suspect Iris got a FA.

@Skullvarnish: There was one holo fairy energy that was released in the Sylveon collection.

@Auride: There have been some good FA trainers. I like Iris and Korinna for example and Fossil Researcher does have an Amaura and so it seems perfectly natural. But really, I thought Pokemon Center Lady (again they should have just call her Nurse Joy for our English sets) looks like she is working for/should be a patient in an insane asylum not a Pokemon Center and Pokemon Fan Club, particularly the little kid, just had creepy looking artwork. IMO though, if they had been doing full art trainers way back in the Wizards era I bet each of the Kanto gym leaders would have been made into FA cards (I assume you know about the Gym Hero and Gym Challenge sets, I know there are younger players who aren't quiet as aware of the older sets as the older players like me).

Maserati777 said:

Err.. Isn't Gengar all head?

In regards to FA random trainers..
Maybe there is a reason why they want us to like random people from the Pokemon World. And I think, in a way, we are also random trainers. Some of us are cool looking at first sight ;) and some others aren't (I'm joking here.. partially). Anyway, we can't complain with this set, because we didn't get random people, but main characters.. I think this would be fine in Fists. But yeah.. I get it. I rather have trainers from the challenge house and Elite 4.
** Note: I really liked Xerosic, specially in the after-game events.. with the Expansion Suit for Emma (Essentia, which I would REALLY like to have in a FA card).

Also. Although SUPER clunky and dependant on getting more Special Energies throughout the year, Jellicent's Meddling attack can be used to recover Special Energy cards and put spread them onto opponent's Pokes so that Aegislash-EX is untouchable.

Finally, I really like Venomoth.
Have your opponent potentially waste item cards, and when he finally KOs it, you play a Gethsis in their face on your turn xD It's a DAMN shame it doesn't even do 10 damage.. COME ON!

I believe in the Gengar full art Gengar is flying up so his face is puffed out rather then his normal look. I don't like his regular ex either where he's flying sideways.

And Manectric just look disproportionate like it's head is too big, also the pose is kind of boring, it'd look better if he was larger on the card but also standing. His regular ex looks good though.

I think the full art supporter thing happened in Flashfire where they started releasing random full art supporters, similar to Toxicroak, Emolga and Seismitoad but in trainer form. I forget which sets each one go with because they don't stand out. Unlike say Rayquaza, Celebi or Yveltal where I remember exactly what set they go with.

In Black and White you had Professor Juniper (Professor Sycamore anyone), Bianca, Skyla, Iris, Ghetsis so it was simple names. But they had cool poses. And I liked the cartoony artwork on them.

Lysandre and Korrina should have full arts but I don't like their artwork personally, I don't like the portrait style full art design. Also a lot of these new full art trainers look too real, not like Pokemon characters like AZ and Battle Reporter.

Back