'Phantom Gate' Scans and Translations! [9/10]

Oh please guys, if you like Pokémon and Pokémon games, you will like even a FA Rattata! Gengar is awesome, levitating in this ectoplasm corridor, and the trainers are pure beauty!!! Random people? Xerosic is from XY story. Lysandre is from XY story. AZ is from XY story.
Have you ever touched a real FA card? Among others, I have a FA Lysandre from Flashfire and it is pure ART. One of the best artworks from Ken Sugimori, plus the special holo treatment makes the card like a work of art.

Pikachu6319 said:
Although when was the last time you played Plus Power or Defender on your Pokemon in the video game?

Well, actually, if Wizards translated those cards correctly in the first place back in Base Set, they would have been named X Attack and X Defend because "PlusPower" and "Defender" are the Japanese names of those items...

@Frost: Hmm, hadn't realized that one. It does make more sense though for what it's worth I never played X Attack or X Defend on my Pokemon either. But maybe that's just my play style. It's been ages since I went into a gym/elite4/important battle without making sure my Pokemon were at least equal level to the highest Pokemon on the opposing party, and it was never worth it for random trainer battles.

@Realslim: I personally was fully aware Lysandre, AZ and to an extent Xerosic were from the storyline. I have no real issues with AZ. I had no problem with the original Lysandre though I don't think we needed him to get another FA card. To be completley honest I had forgotten who Xerosic was and what parts he played in the storyline, which proves at least to me how 'important' he was. I have not only touched a FA card but have several; Iris, Korinna, N, Ghestis. Battle Reporter and Colress (I don't count Pokemon themselves, those I make sure to get) and I would at some point like to get Skyla, Bianca, Professor Juniper and perhaps Cheren. I'm not too worried about Lysandre, because yes I admit the FA is nice looking and even appropriate given his character, but he is the bad guy and to me that makes a personal difference. The only FA trainer card I've gotten that wasn't in a random pack was Iris. Personally I would have loved to see a Cynthina FA, I have a deck based around her Pokemon after all. However as a long time tcg player, not just Pokemon but several others, I can tell you from experience there are cards one likse for playability, cards one likes for artwork, and cards one doesn't like for either reason. There are cards that one chooses to make sure they have because of or sometimes despite those reasons I mentioned and cards one never wants to have unless they're collecting everything. It doesn't matter how big a fan you are of the franchise itself. There are Pokemon Pokemon cards that I dislike either for the artwork or the attack(s) and abilites, sometimes even both.

Of course let's be honest here; the odds of them making a FA Rattata are just above zero, though if for some reason they did make one it probably would end up in my pokedex just for being a FA Pokemon card, proving my above statement. I should add that into the thread in general discussion about Pokemon that won't ever have a FA, lolz.

@Auride

"Which supporters are people that aren't even in the games? And which ones are random trainers that one battles in the games?"

I have never seen battle reporter from the games. The random trainers I am referring to are Pokemon Fan Club.

"Pokemon Fan Club is a reprint of a card way back from Aquapolis, which was based on the actual in-game Pokemon Fan Club."

Yea... doesn't mean there should be a full art of it though.

"AZ is ugly because he's literally over 3,000 years old. It's part of his character."

Doesn't make me like him any less. I'm pretty ugly myself but I don't get a full art. Hahaha just kidding, but I don't see the appeal in making him have one unless we get a Black Flower Floette in it, that I'd actually like. But as of now I think the art just looks bland and meh. Waste of an ultra rare slot.

"Xerosic looks like a doctor because he is one. The gloves are in the games as a design element so they're in the card too."

Oh I'm aware he's a doctor. I just don't know why they gave him a pose that looks like he wants to stick his finger in my... well I did say prostate exam so I'll leave it at that.

"Don't really know how Lysandre could be construed as "want[ing] to play Beyblade", but that's not really that important"

Assuming this link works

http://www.zerochan.net/1557616#full

He basically looks like he ripped the cord and the topspin is let loose. It looks really awkward. I would have preffered a hand drawn version of this.

http://resource.supercheats.com/library/pokemon-x/869.JPG

But perhaps that doesn't very "last resorty"...

"Overall, I think the all of the full art supporters in this set (as well as the sets before it) all look really good. It's not like other random supporters are being purposely excluded for having full art versions so that these ones can. Almost every supporter card has had a full-art print since full arts have been introduced, popular or not (e.g. Cheren). The artists that make these aren't just random people on the internet that ask TPC for some money in exchange for art. They're real artists that do various sorts of work professionally and choose to contribute art to the Pokemon TCG when asked, or even ask to be featured."

Well that statement about random artists wasn't meant to be taken so seriously (it was a stab at humor) but I'm glad someone's enjoying the new full arts. I don't like them, and I'm dreading the next trainer full art to be either Youngster... Tourists... Mr. Bonding... Male Swimmer... (GUH!!) Fisherman... (hey he taught us chain-fishing! He should get a full art! lol no) Looker... actually scratch that a Looker FA would be awesome. Battle Frontier Assistant... (I'm just being silly now) Ummm... but ANYWAY...

"If TPC printed a supporter card for every gym leader, or even most of them, it would get incredibly bland and repetitive. Outside of the anime, gym leaders virtually no character development whatsoever, so their card's effects would have to be based on their types and what little we do know. I would much rather see cards printed for the story-relevant characters that actually do have a more fleshed out personality."

Wait, so Fossil Researcher, Battle Reporter, Pokemon Center Lady, and Pokemon Fan Club have character development and are story relevant? Just kidding but those cards are mostly what I'm complaining about. I added some complaints about this set of full arts just so it would stay relevant to this thread, and I was mostly complaining about their artwork and pose. They are pretty decent choices for supporters. But what's wrong with a Grant full art?!?! It'd be cool no matter effect it was. And we never got a Professor Sycamore full art but that's probably eventually gonna happen. And we probably won't ever get a full art Malva either despite the possible link to Team Flare. I stand by my opinion though that instead of Fossil Researcher we could have gotten Grant (I know it doesn't make sense but just go with it!), instead of Battle Reporter it could have been Malva (since she's on the holocast thing), instead of Pokémon Center Lady we could have gotten... ...uhh... well... never mind I don't know... and instead of Pokémon Fan Club that could have worked for a lot of different characters... I'd say Looker.

"Overall, I don't really understand your opinions. I can't say they're wrong, because that would be silly, but I don't see the basis. Have you actually played the video games (genuine question)?"

I played 600+ hours in Pokemon and a little bit under 100 for the other games. So... I play quite a bit... I don't think you understand me in general (but let's be real here, no one does).

Complaint #1: Please stop with the NPC full arts. Nobody cares about them. ...unless they're female swimmer or Beauty then by all means keep doing them... :x lol but seriously getting tired of it.
Complaint #2: It was mostly for giggles and to stay on topic. I made fun of the artwork for this set's full arts. I don't particularly want them, nor do I wish to pull them out of my boxes but they are not bad choices to make full arts. Just keep itchy finger Doctor away from me.

So about how close are these Japanese sets to the eventual English version?
In other words was Rising Fist exactly like Furious Fists?

They're usually pretty accurate within reason. Every now and again we might get something before them. We have more cards in our sets because we get cards placed into our sets that were promos in Japan. Sometimes their numbering is different, I think Japanese full art cards are 'secret' cards in themselves and are numbered above the set number while our full art cards get the same numbering regardless or regular or full art. This was based on a comparison between our Furious Fists and Japan's Rising Fists and a long time playing/collecting Pokemon.

For the most part we get the Japanese set along with whatever deck product was released in Japan in conjuction with the set combined into our English sets, along with any appropriate Japanese promos. For example Furious Fists had two Pancham and two Clefairy cards because one came from Rising Fist and the other was an XY-P promo.

Sometimes Japan does two subsets at once and those tend to be the only times the English expansion split up what Japan did. HGSS and Unleashed, BW and Emerging Powers and Boundaries Crossed and Plasma Storm were all like this, to both reassign the sizes of the sets and to make sure there's something "playable" in both English expansions. Emerging Powers would have been even worse in terms of playability if they hadn't saved some of the Black/White Collection cards for it (like Catcher, Gothitelle, Thundurus, Tornadus and Beartic).

Frost said:
(like Catcher, Gothitelle, Thundurus, Tornadus and Beartic).

...Except that Catcher now requires a coin flip, making it inferior to Ninetales, New Pyroar, and Lysandre.

...Except that Gothitelle is now useless now that Trevenant is in the format.

...Except that Thundurus & Tornadus aren't that good.

...Except that Beartic has rotated out.

Anyone notice how pre-evolutions are becoming more playable? All of the Night Marchers are pre evolutions (Joltik, Pumpkaboo, Lampant). The entire Crobat line has snipe attacks and Golbat can also do damage when evolved. Blissey is terrible, but Chansey has an interesting 100 for CCC attack. Lastly, there's Loudred, that has energy press, similar to Deoxys Helix force only it costs CCC and you need no plasma energy.

Pikachu6319 said:
@Realslim: I personally was fully aware Lysandre, AZ and to an extent Xerosic were from the storyline. I have no real issues with AZ. I had no problem with the original Lysandre though I don't think we needed him to get another FA card. To be completley honest I had forgotten who Xerosic was and what parts he played in the storyline, which proves at least to me how 'important' he was. I have not only touched a FA card but have several; Iris, Korinna, N, Ghestis. Battle Reporter and Colress (I don't count Pokemon themselves, those I make sure to get) and I would at some point like to get Skyla, Bianca, Professor Juniper and perhaps Cheren. I'm not too worried about Lysandre, because yes I admit the FA is nice looking and even appropriate given his character, but he is the bad guy and to me that makes a personal difference. The only FA trainer card I've gotten that wasn't in a random pack was Iris. Personally I would have loved to see a Cynthina FA, I have a deck based around her Pokemon after all. However as a long time tcg player, not just Pokemon but several others, I can tell you from experience there are cards one likse for playability, cards one likes for artwork, and cards one doesn't like for either reason. There are cards that one chooses to make sure they have because of or sometimes despite those reasons I mentioned and cards one never wants to have unless they're collecting everything. It doesn't matter how big a fan you are of the franchise itself. There are Pokemon Pokemon cards that I dislike either for the artwork or the attack(s) and abilites, sometimes even both.
I play PTCG from the beginning, and I also have lots of full art cards (Trainers and Pokémon), and I love 'em all. I was talking about the artworks, not about the playability. I was only saying that this set contains these trainer cards, so, playable or not, these are the full art cards, and the artworks, to me, are awesome as always. When you pull one of these, you always say "wow", and even if characters like Xerosic are a little bit niche (Xerosic appears even in the Emma/Looker missions), these FA artworks are pure beauty, that's it.

GadgetJax said:
Frost said:
(like Catcher, Gothitelle, Thundurus, Tornadus and Beartic).

...Except that Catcher now requires a coin flip, making it inferior to Ninetales, New Pyroar, and Lysandre.

...Except that Gothitelle is now useless now that Trevenant is in the format.

...Except that Thundurus & Tornadus aren't that good.

...Except that Beartic has rotated out.

Were you around when these cards dropped?

Catcher was insanely overpowered, Gothitelle was the most effective lock at the time, Thundurus and Tornadus pretty made Zekeels and ZPST Tier 1. Beartic/Vileplume was an insane lock deck.

Also everything you said is irrelevant. He said that "Emerging Powers would have sucked if it didn't get the major cards of the set from Black and White Collection. Which is a true statement. Emerging Powers would kind of be a bad set if it didn't get these cards.

@Realism: Actually I don't always say wow, it depends on what it is and if I really cared in the first place about it. Just remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Again I say at least in my opinion Pokemon Fan Club and Pokemon Center Lady had creepy full art art work.

Has anyone ever considered how they choose their full arts, Trainer or otherwise? I think there has to be some sort of method. Popularity for the Pokemon has to have some sort of factor, though you look at like Skarmory or Emolga and clearly it's not all. Playability has to be some of it as well, as most FA trainers have had some sort of use in decks though again not necessarily the whole reasoning. I'm sure there are other factors we don't understand as well.

Okay in response to the 3 or 4 people that said "Pokemon Center Lady should be called Nurse Joy"
THEY ARE DIFFERENT PEOPLE
They don't even look the same!
The Pokemon Center Lady is from the games, and she is NEVER called Nurse Joy
Nurse Joy is from the anime, and not in the games
The TCG is based on the games and not the anime. Except for a few promos that were made based on Ash, and I think only released in Japan

Wigglytuff said:
Okay in response to the 3 or 4 people that said "Pokemon Center Lady should be called Nurse Joy"
THEY ARE DIFFERENT PEOPLE
They don't even look the same!
The Pokemon Center Lady is from the games, and she is NEVER called Nurse Joy
Nurse Joy is from the anime, and not in the games
The TCG is based on the games and not the anime. Except for a few promos that were made based on Ash, and I think only released in Japan

Finally, someone who agrees with me!

I as much as stated I realize it was an anime thing. But it sounds better (at least to me) to call her Nurse Joy than to call her Pokemon Center Lady. On the other hand, since they never named the 'Pokemon Center Lady', there is nothing stopping Nintendo from calling her that. Would be a bit of artistic liberty, yes. Most ccg's do that at least once, even Pokemon has done that with Delta Species Pokemon. But can you honestly tell me that you have any doubts that at least part of the reason Iris got a FA art card was because of her part in the anime?

Pikachu6319 said:
But can you honestly tell me that you have any doubts that at least part of the reason Iris got a FA art card was because of her part in the anime?

Still wish we got an Alder Card...

Pikachu6319 said:
I as much as stated I realize it was an anime thing. But it sounds better (at least to me) to call her Nurse Joy than to call her Pokemon Center Lady. On the other hand, since they never named the 'Pokemon Center Lady', there is nothing stopping Nintendo from calling her that. Would be a bit of artistic liberty, yes. Most ccg's do that at least once, even Pokemon has done that with Delta Species Pokemon. But can you honestly tell me that you have any doubts that at least part of the reason Iris got a FA art card was because of her part in the anime?
No, because Iris is wearing her Champion outfit. If she got it for being in the anime, she would've been wearing her normal/ gym leader outfit

They may not be the same person but it just seems uncreative or bland... like if they decided to make the shop guy a supporter. They just call him "Shop Sales Man"... or "Shop Owner" which doesn't sound that less blah.

Heck Pokemon Nurse sounds better.

GadgetJax, like I said I wish we got a Cynthia FA card. I know technically it was in the wrong generation but she did appear in B2/W2 and in HGSS...small parts but come on if you're going to give FA to small parters, this would still be better IMO. She's still a league champion that you either battle or get a good Pokemon from.

Wigglytuff, what Iris is wearing in the picture is beside the point. Why didn't we get a FA of Caitlin (who happens to be in the exact same set)? Or Shauna who is one of, if not the most, constant 'companion' in X/Y? I suspect it's because they don't have a big part in the anime. N had a little arc too in the anime, and he was our first FA trainer. Also keep in mind that the anime has a tradition of the last gen female making an appearance in the current gen anime and we have yet to see Iris, she could be wearing her champion outfit then though at this point it would just be a coincedence.

I'm surprised that they didn't go with "Pokemon Nurse" instead of "Pokemon Center Lady" since there was a "Pokemon Nurse" back in Expedition. Although maybe that's exactly why they chose the name they did, so they wouldn't have the overlap. Not that it stopped them when they had Ace Spec Computer Search vs. old Computer Search.

Back