Old Player Wanting Back in

RE: Old Geezer Wanting Back in

Check on youtube for decks, or check out the Championship decks you can buy, you can't play with them as they have a different back but they give you a feel as to how to build your deck. I don't play the TCG, but I don't discourage people just because I don't. More players the better, you'll find you're in the same position as 80% of us, we all came back for nostalgia and got hooked again lol

Why Mr. Mime and Eviolite. You're just letting them have a higher damage to be able to damage Mime. They can now do 30-40 instead of only 10-20.

SheNinja said:
Why Mr. Mime and Eviolite. You're just letting them have a higher damage to be able to damage Mime. They can now do 30-40 instead of only 10-20.

They can never do more than 30 damage total. The eviolite is there to deal with attacks that do 20-30. If you are playing a person who has attacks that can do 50 damage you obviously wont attach it. Eviolite is temperamental but can be amazing. Giant cape is great too.

Blastoise+Keldeo is Probably the Best "Cheapy" deck around. Keldeo goes for around $6 (promo) Blastoise goes for $8, Catcher goes for around $10+ and everything else is pretty cheap.

bulbasuar17 said:
Blastoise+Keldeo is Probably the Best "Cheapy" deck around. Keldeo goes for around $6 (promo) Blastoise goes for $8, Catcher goes for around $10+ and everything else is pretty cheap.

Yeah but the deck becomes significantly worse without Tbeach and those run 100+ now. If someone saw the beach mania coming they probably scored a nice profit haha

bagoly14 said:
SheNinja said:

They can never do more than 30 damage total. The eviolite is there to deal with attacks that do 20-30. If you are playing a person who has attacks that can do 50 damage you obviously wont attach it. Eviolite is temperamental but can be amazing. Giant cape is great too.

in open format, I crobat G + poison hypno laser + virbank city gym and BYEBYE mister mimes...

ashtavakra said:
bagoly14 said:

in open format, I crobat G + poison hypno laser + virbank city gym and BYEBYE mister mimes...

Yeah, crobat g = beats only mr mime
mr mime = beats a ton of decks :p

Mufasa804 said:
I'm from the Chicago area so if anyone knows a good place to go that would also be great.
Top Cut Comics (on Archer east of Harlem Avenue) has league play on Sundays. There are also several other locations in the metro area where you will find league play too. At TCC, there will be plenty of players there who can help you "jump start" back into the game. Also, ask players about their views on the current "top decks" and ask them to spread out 1 or 2 of their decks and explain their thoughts behind the deck. Between deck ideas you see online, as well as at the shop, identify a deck you'd like to try and borrow it for league play (most players carry 3-4 decks to league).

Afterwards, you can start getting the cards you want for your own deck. Keep in mind that proxies are perfectly fine at our league play; so you can experiment alot before you commit to the expense of an actual deck.

Look forward to seeing you at TCC in Chicago and welcome back to the game!

bagoly14 said:
ashtavakra said:

Yeah, crobat g = beats only mr mime
mr mime = beats a ton of decks :p

I wasn't insinuating the one and only achelle's heel.
any pokemon that states "placing damage counters" or gives out special conditions, goes right through mr mime.
Eviolite and Mr Mime both reduce damage, in the event a card reads to place damage counters, it would go right through. If I'm not mistaken. at least, that's how these things worked back in the day..

If we're talking open format, I don't know that you can beat Mewtwo from Majestic Dawn topped with Mewtwo LV X. That will take care of any big basics on the field. Since LV X prevents non-evolution cards from doing damage. You can also add Aerodactyl from Fossil which prevents cards from evolving, but that's likely to get gusted/pokemon catchered out.

If you put in a night maintenance, rescue scarf or super scoop up and add a couple Noble Victories Elgyem (attack which puts 2 basics on your bench) you can do pretty well.

Of course if they are running Machamp from Stormfront, they'll absolutely wreck you. But, unless they know what you're playing, why would they?

Sorry, /rant off

Saberx723 said:
If we're talking open format, I don't know that you can beat Mewtwo from Majestic Dawn topped with Mewtwo LV X. That will take care of any big basics on the field. Since LV X prevents non-evolution cards from doing damage. You can also add Aerodactyl from Fossil which prevents cards from evolving, but that's likely to get gusted/pokemon catchered out.

If you put in a night maintenance, rescue scarf or super scoop up and add a couple Noble Victories Elgyem (attack which puts 2 basics on your bench) you can do pretty well.

Of course if they are running Machamp from Stormfront, they'll absolutely wreck you. But, unless they know what you're playing, why would they?

Sorry, /rant off

Chaos Gym from Gym Challenge gives all trainers a 50% chance of failing and the opponents are then enabled to use them. I would just play that lol.

ThatPokemonCollector said:
Check on youtube for decks, or check out the Championship decks you can buy, you can't play with them as they have a different back but they give you a feel as to how to build your deck. I don't play the TCG, but I don't discourage people just because I don't. More players the better, you'll find you're in the same position as 80% of us, we all came back for nostalgia and got hooked again lol
I never left. I've been playing since set 2.

To the original poster get the new kyurem blastoise deck. That will be a good start.
bagoly14 said:
ashtavakra said:
Yeah, Mr mime won't phase my mewtwo unown z deck. ;)
Though hypno laser will be a problem.

Well I would obviously not make it a quad mime deck, gotta throw in some mewtwo ex/lv x and beams as well, maybe even rocky helmet or rock guard ace spec to just have a field day along with a 2-2 line of gardy. Open format is a blast.

If i were you i would get back into the game by making an appearance! Try running a troll deck, for example: Gardevoir Dermanitan!

Here's what you will need...

POKEMON:

4 Gardevoir NXD
4 Kerlia NXD
4 Ralts (its really up to you on this one)
4 Dermanitan Psychic NXD
4 Darumaka (up to you, try for a one with a low retreat cost)
1 Mewtwo EX

TRAINER:
4 Rare candy
4 Skyla
2 Level Ball
2 Ultra Ball
3 Professor Juniper
4 N
2 Energy Retrieval
2 Energy Search

ENERGY:
16 Psychic

PLAN:
The way you play the deck is you try to get a gardavoir on your bench by atleast turn 2, and from there or earlier you will try to get a darmanitan in play, from here you will play an energy search (unless you do have energies or you just dont have the energy search), Then you will use darmanitan's second attack with gardavoirs ability! You keep doing this until you get a mewtwo, from there stack all your energies onto mewtwo (or dont, it is really your preference)

SIDE NOTE
You may want to replace an N for a Victini, being the one with victory star, it will help out alot!

Oddish4Life said:
If i were you i would get back into the game by making an appearance! Try running a troll deck, for example: Gardevoir Dermanitan!

Here's what you will need...

POKEMON:

4 Gardevoir NXD
4 Kerlia NXD
4 Ralts (its really up to you on this one)
4 Dermanitan Psychic NXD
4 Darumaka (up to you, try for a one with a low retreat cost)
1 Mewtwo EX

TRAINER:
4 Rare candy
4 Skyla
2 Level Ball
2 Ultra Ball
3 Professor Juniper
4 N
2 Energy Retrieval
2 Energy Search

ENERGY:
16 Psychic

PLAN:
The way you play the deck is you try to get a gardavoir on your bench by atleast turn 2, and from there or earlier you will try to get a darmanitan in play, from here you will play an energy search (unless you do have energies or you just dont have the energy search), Then you will use darmanitan's second attack with gardavoirs ability! You keep doing this until you get a mewtwo, from there stack all your energies onto mewtwo (or dont, it is really your preference)

SIDE NOTE
You may want to replace an N for a Victini, being the one with victory star, it will help out alot!

I ran this deck and it is too clunky to work. What you want to run is straight darmaxitan eels with mewtwo, raikou, fighting stunfisk, vstar victini, and pokemon center + scramble switch.

That deck is a lot of fun to play and can beat tier 1 decks occasionally and beat tier 2 decks most of the time.

Returning from HGSS Undaunted

Hey guys, it would be extremely helpful if I could get a briefing on what decks are great and a legal set list. Thanks! =)

Good decks right now:
Darkrai EX/Sableye/Absol/Keldeo EX
Thundurus EX/Deoxys EX/Lugia EX/Kyurem PLF
Keldeo EX/Black Kyurem EX PLS/Blastoise BC/Beach
Cobalion EX/Klinklang PLS/Klinklang BLW
Rayquaza EX/Eelektrik NVI/Victini EX/Keldeo EX

Legal sets:
Black and White
Emerging Powers
Noble Victories
Next Destinies
Dark Explorers