ORAS New (Mega) Pokémon in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: Your Hopes and Expectations

It's cool that we're getting a lot of defensive Mega Pokemon this time around. There are a handful in XY, but out of those only Venusaur is truly viable.

Slowbro seems mediocre at first glance. The Mega evolution loses out on Leftovers recovery and one of the best abilities in the game. The best looking set is a Calm Mind tank, where Shell Armour's ability to avoid critical hits seems like it would be quite useful. Historically Calm Mind tanks are better on Pokemon with very few type weaknesses (Suicune, Jirachi), but maybe Slowbro's enormous defense will be enough to mitigate this.

Mega Audino is cool and I'm really happy that obscure Pokemon continue to get representation. I have no idea how well it will do. I'm envisioning it'll turn out like Chansey, namely a cleric/Wish spammer with great mixed bulk and no Leftovers recovery. A key advantage Audino will have over Chansey is the effective immunity to Knock Off, which is the bane of Chansey's existence. I have no idea how Healer works lol.

Cinesra said:
So does this mean we can expect Mega Slowking, too?

Where the shell just engulfs its entire head?

RE: New (Mega) Pokémon in Omega Ruby and Alpha SapphiYour Hopes and Expectations

bacon said:
Mega Audino is cool and I'm really happy that obscure Pokemon continue to get representation. I have no idea how well it will do. I'm envisioning it'll turn out like Chansey, namely a cleric/Wish spammer with great mixed bulk and no Leftovers recovery. A key advantage Audino will have over Chansey is the effective immunity to Knock Off, which is the bane of Chansey's existence. I have no idea how Healer works lol.

Healer gives a chance to heal an ally's status condition in a double/triple battle.

Whilst it does get Wish, I can't help but think that it'd prefer to have Regenerator or Natural Cure xD

RE: New (Mega) Pokémon in Omega Ruby and Alpha SapphiYour Hopes and Expectations

bacon said:
It's cool that we're getting a lot of defensive Mega Pokemon this time around. There are a handful in XY, but out of those only Venusaur is truly viable.

Uhhh....mega aggron

Mega audino looks pretty useless, but i can't be so sure. Mega slowbro looks like a tank.

bacon said:
Cinesra said:
So does this mean we can expect Mega Slowking, too?

Where the shell just engulfs its entire head?

That actually sounds cool... Like true counterparts... Mega Slowbro has the Shellder covering the body starting from the tail, while Mega Slowking would have the Shellder covering the body starting from the head... It would look a bit like a dress as professorlight says...

Such random picks for megas but I like that we're getting something from gen five now! Let's hope for a few more :D I hope the number of new megas rivals that in x and y and it doesn't end at like, 15. There are just so many megas I want to see! We still lack ice type megas, poison, etc.

With how they're picking megas I have no idea what to expect next AT ALL. Its exciting though, now I feel everything is possible and it won't be all gen 3 favourites (but I still want mega milotic). I know they can't do megas for everything, but I think it was said in one of their interviews that they'd like to have a mega for every Pokemon one day.

I totally want mega slowbro.... And I hope to see megas for another generation of starters this game. I don't really care which generation.... I'd prefer sinnoh or johto I guess, but gen five does need more.

I said "they'll probably do Mega Slowbro next" to a friend 2 days ago, and she thought it's really creepy it happened so soon lol.

Losing Regenerator, and even Own Tempo to Shell Armor is the most awful ability change we have seen so far, what a waste.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Mega Gallade. If anything, Gardevoir and now Slowbro, point towards Megas being more likely for the vanilla final stage of pokemon that got alternate evolutions later on that took the spotlight. The megas are them taking it back. (Vileplume, Poliwrath, Glalie)

IgnisMagister said:
bacon said:

Uhhh....mega aggron

Mega audino looks pretty useless, but i can't be so sure. Mega slowbro looks like a tank.

He said only a handful implyingmore than one but that only Mega Venusaur was actually viable. Mega Aggron has no recovery, passable at best special defence, a very low base speed and weakness to some very common attacking types.

Reggie McGigas said:
All I can say is:

Please be fake!

I like Mega Audino but Mega Slowbro makes me want to not buy the new games :<

Considering they were on the official Korean Pokemon website... I think that pretty much confirms their legitimacy.

I actually like Mega Slowbro, he needs more love <3

I guess since Audino, Lopunny, and Slowbro got Megas it looks like even forgettable Pokemon could get Megas. In that case Mega Mightyena or Mega Delelelewoop Kricketune. They could really use the buff to help make them stronger and help rise from obscurity.

Reggie McGigas said:
All I can say is:

Please be fake!

I like Mega Audino but Mega Slowbro makes me want to not buy the new games :<

Its okay, I'll take your mega slowbro for you :)

In Kanto I hope for Mega-Cloyster (/Water/Steel or Ice/Steel) (Because Shellder can Mega-evolve with Slowbro so why not Cloyster?), Mega-Rapidash Fire/Fairy or Fire/Flying (So she/he will be popular again :p) . In Jotho I hope for Mega-Dunsparce (Normal/Dragon or Normal/Bug), Mega-Shuckle (Rock/Bug) and Mega-Corsola (Water/Fairy or Water/Steel big coral cannons on her head xD.)

On the topic of mega Slowbro; no, just no. Not even getting into it's design, it's ability goes from dead useful (HA: Regenerator, restores 1/3 HP when switched) to Shell Armor (immune to critical hits, wow.). That's such a poor trade-off that for me, even with the stat boost the Mega will probably be completely inferior to it's base form.

Also: I'm holding out hope for Mega Milotic. I'm hoping that they're just waiting until they announce whether or not Wallace will be a gym Leader, E4 member, or bonus post-game trainer to also reveal Mega Milotic (Since its Wallace's signature Pokémon).

Just saying, I really want them to introduce megas for the dawn stone evolutions. I love both of their designs and they felt like improvements on hoenn pokemon that could be further improved if that makes any sense. So, please, Gamefreak, mega frostless and gallade.

I think it's hilarious how split everyone is between mega slowbro. You either hate it or love it... There is like almost no in between opinion. At least its doing its job by making us all talk about it! I feel so defensive about it too, there's a huge part of me that's like "I must train the most boss mega slowbro to prove everyone wrong". Its kind of ridiculous of me, you're all allowed to not like him, I just get so competitive. At least megas aren't forced and if you prefer regenerator skowbro over his mega, hopefully you'll be able to surprise everyone and gain the upper hand in battle because people will assume you're running his mega move set and strategy.

Anyway, Now that I feel any mega is possible, I want some gen 5 megas! The small OCD part of me wants them to spread the amount of megas more evenly across the board. On that note, gen 5 could use:

Galvantula: This was rumored to appear in X/Y but didn't, now I really want one! I think it should get a new and interesting ability.
The starters! Samurott and serperior could use a secondary typing upon evolution. Maybe water/fighting and grass/fairy (we already got our grass/dragon mega.
Braviary: with a pure flying type!
Volarona: doesn't need one but it would be awesome :)
Gothitelle: psyhic/dark, cause we were all thinking it anyway
Bisharp: maybe it could have an ability opposite to justified or something.

HRRlion said:
IgnisMagister said:
Uhhh....mega aggron

He said only a handful implyingmore than one but that only Mega Venusaur was actually viable. Mega Aggron has no recovery, passable at best special defence, a very low base speed and weakness to some very common attacking types.

Mega aggron is still pretty good with filter, stealth rock, and an amazing movepool. Mega Venusaur also has weakness to common attacking types too...But still m-venusaur is pretty good. I just think aggron is a good defensive mega too. :)

JiJi-T said:
In Kanto I hope for Mega-Cloyster (/Water/Steel or Ice/Steel) (Because Shellder can Mega-evolve with Slowbro so why not Cloyster?), Mega-Rapidash Fire/Fairy or Fire/Flying (So she/he will be popular again :p) . In Jotho I hope for Mega-Dunsparce (Normal/Dragon or Normal/Bug), Mega-Shuckle (Rock/Bug) and Mega-Corsola (Water/Fairy or Water/Steel big coral cannons on her head xD.)
Mega Cloyster would go back to ubers. It would be cool if it got a +30 speed base stat boost, while retaining the ability skill link.

Aerodactyl said:
Galvantula: This was rumored to appear in X/Y but didn't, now I really want one! I think it should get a new and interesting ability.
The starters! Samurott and serperior could use a secondary typing upon evolution. Maybe water/fighting and grass/fairy (we already got our grass/dragon mega.
Braviary: with a pure flying type!
Volarona: doesn't need one but it would be awesome :)
Gothitelle: psyhic/dark, cause we were all thinking it anyway
Bisharp: maybe it could have an ability opposite to justified or something.

Galvantula: YES YES YES
I think that the next starters we'd logically see Megas for would either be Johto or Sinnoh or even Kalos, since they've been neglected the longest (barring Kalos obviously)
I say Kalos because of the 3rd gen6 games returning to said region... considering we've had zero Kalos Megas it makes sense they've been saving them for this so there's a new wow-factor for the games
Braviary: I'd like to see it get Fighting/Flying (when it was first revealed I actually thought it was one xD) and hopefully get a new ability which turns Normal moves into Fighting moves. Also Mandibuzz should get one as well, as the 2 are gender counterparts
Volcarona: maybe this could be another Drought setter? considering its whole sun schtick it doesn't seem too far out (as opposed to Ninetales getting it who previously had nothing to do with the sun iirc)
Gothitelle: just give Reuniclus a Mega to go alongside and I'll be happy (Psychic/Ghost?)
Bisharp: this could be seriously interesting... I saw a fake Mega Bisharp that turned into a centaur, which is a really awesome concept

Back