ORAS New (Mega) Pokémon in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: Your Hopes and Expectations

RE: New (Mega) Pokémon in Omega Ruby and Alpha SapphiYour Hopes and Expectations

steffenka said:
I want this to happen:
mega_pelipper_by_steffenka-d7i34uf.jpg
Yes, I made the design myself, but I really want Pelipper to look either more like this, or more pirate'ish.
I think Pelipper should have more Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense, to make it more bulky(?), and maybe lower it's speed a little. Have it gain its HA: Rain Dish or Drizzle, and I think it could work :)
Amazing design!!!!! It looks awesome!!!! Hope when it happens it looks like that

RE: New (Mega) Pokémon in Omega Ruby and Alpha SapphiYour Hopes and Expectations

CMP said:
Teal said:
The thing is that you say that the overlooked branches got megas, while the opposite is true. Uh?
Competitive players non withstanding, I don't know anyone who prefers Slowbro to Slowking...to the target audience (10 year old children), newer is very often better, leaving the standard evolutions very much forgotten.

Actually, I hate Slowking and I'd much rather use Slowbro, even without a Mega.

Blob55 said:
CMP said:
Competitive players non withstanding, I don't know anyone who prefers Slowbro to Slowking...to the target audience (10 year old children), newer is very often better, leaving the standard evolutions very much forgotten.

Actually, I hate Slowking and I'd much rather use Slowbro, even without a Mega.

I'd have to agree! Even as a child, I loved the derpy look of slowbro, while I always thought slowking looked way more clown-ish.

Also, great idea for the Pelliper design Steffenka! Pelipper has never been a favourite pokemon of mine, but I love the edgier pirate design. Makes him more Badass and look less like he's ill:) I'd love to see a type combo that's weak, like Water/Flying, become more viable and powerful, especially on a pokemon ike Pelipper that a lot of people don't take seriously.

I have my favourites I'd love to see get Megas, but right now I'm actually more excited to see pokemon I never expected and that are under used get them. Pelipper would be a great choice! I would totally put it on my team.

Aerodactyl said:
I have my favourites I'd love to see get Megas, but right now I'm actually more excited to see pokemon I never expected and that are under used get them. Pelipper would be a great choice! I would totally put it on my team.
Am I the only one who yearns for mega Farfetch'd? He's got a very cool design but those stats are crap... I wish GF would pay some attention to him but apparently they're focusing in pokemon more popular for the time being.

Jaime Runt said:
Am I the only one who yearns for mega Farfetch'd? He's got a very cool design but those stats are crap... I wish GF would pay some attention to him but apparently they're focusing in pokemon more popular for the time being.

I personally don't yearn for mega Farfetch'd, but I definitely don\t think you are alone in wanting one. Lots of fans have been talking about Farfetch'd. I remember a lot of people wanting him to get an evolution in X/Y that would make him fighting/flying type, but then we got Hawlucha instead.

Then, I would have wanted a fighting/flying type Farfetch'd, and even now I think that would suit him. But I also wouldn't be opposed to just making him a pure flying type. We've never really had a pure flying type and I'd love to see one turn up anywhere! Don't know if they'd take away types with mega evolution. They've only ever added types or changed types.

By turning a Normal/Flying type to a pure one, you are basically asking for Normal to change to Flying and Flying to stop being secondary.

Gamefreak seems keen on not having a type switch places, but rather change/added/removed.

So for example when Trapinch (primary Ground) evolves, it doesn't turn into a Dragon/Ground (like Garchomp), but a Ground/Dragon, keeping it's Ground type in place for the whole line (although it may simply mean that Ground remains it's core type even though it gains draconic abilities to some degree).

So everytime someone comes up with the Normal/Flying--> Flying idea, you're asking for more than just losing it's secondary type, you're asking for it's type order to reverse (which has never happened so far, if it was okay, I'd expect at least some examples by now, like Golem turning from Rock/Ground into a Ground/Rock with evolution), and then to lose its now less prominent Normal type for no reason (which so far only happened with Bellossoms Poison type)

And then there is the issue with the Flying type as a primary type still being a somewhat mysteriously rare case (just Tornadus and Noibat-line)

I mean I'd rather they give us a bunch of regular pure-Flying pokemon first, so we get a clearer picture of what it takes to be a primary Flying type.

But mentioning Noibat, that reminds me.... With Altarias sound-affinity being fixed by giving it Pixilate (so it now has STAB with Hyper Voice etc BACK, after losing those for a Dragon STAB with regular evolution), Noiverns signature-move can get this fix with a mega the same way!

What I mean is, Mega Noivern keeping it's types, but gaining an ability that turns Normal type moves to Dragon-type and boosts them further (since the secondary type seems to be what these abilities seem to focus on every time)...a Dragonify ability or whatever it would be called, making it's Boomburst a force to be reckoned with (140BP + 50%stab + 1.3x ability= 273power special Dragon area attack!)..

I'm convinced they have this planned already from the moment they gave it Boomburst but not making the move a Dragon-type or giving Noivern Normal as a type.
We won't see it until at least the next Kalos instalment though (which sounds appropriate)

with stats along the lines of: 85 90 80 137 90 153

Does the primary type and secondary type actually effect anything in-game, or is just the order in which a dual-typed Pokemon's types are listed and nothing more than that?

Mitja said:
Teal said:
The thing is that you say that the overlooked branches got megas, while the opposite is true. Uh?

I'll give you Vileplume as Bellossom doesn't gain anything by losing the better of its types, but no one uses Poliwrath with Politoed having Drizzle, and no one uses Glalie with it's 80 across the board stats when they can use Froslass instead.
I was talking about Slowbro and Gardevoir... >_>

Seven is a Color said:
Does the primary type and secondary type actually effect anything in-game, or is just the order in which a dual-typed Pokemon's types are listed and nothing more than that?

It's just that.

Gamefreak cares about it, so I do too xD

Teal said:
Mitja said:
I'll give you Vileplume as Bellossom doesn't gain anything by losing the better of its types, but no one uses Poliwrath with Politoed having Drizzle, and no one uses Glalie with it's 80 across the board stats when they can use Froslass instead.
I was talking about Slowbro and Gardevoir... >_>

Ohhh my bad.

Yes, in practice, it works the same, but the use of Primary type and Secondary type is to indicate the main or more prominent/recognizable type of that pokémon. I also think that's very important. In fact, I think some pokémon should have their Primary and Secondary type switched.

About Noibat, I've wrote once in this forum about how I belive Noibat was not meant to be a Dragon-type, and instead a pure Flying that would gain the Dragon-type upon evolving into Noivern. Hence why Noivern is Flying/Dragon instead of the usual Dragon/Flying. You could argue that some pokémon have the same type combination with only the order reversed (e.g.: Golem and Rhyperior) but, even though I also don't think Flying should be used as some kind of sub-type, the truth is, it is (at least in GF's mind).
I'll just leave the link to my post about Noibat: Post

Now, there are only two cases (correct me if I'm wrong) where the Primary type is changed instead of the secondary type.
Onix -> Steelix
Swablu -> Altaria

Onix was probably unavoidable as Steelix was introduced a gen later, but Swablu and Altaria could have had Flying as their primary type instead of Normal and Dragon, as there is a type change occurring.

If you notice, they try to avoid this as much as possible. Take Skorupi for example. The only pokémon with Secondary Bug-type are Anorith & Armaldo (Fossil pokémon, which have the tradition of using Rock as the primary type - Carracosta's line being the exception, but that's a mystery for another post) and Skorupi itself. Why isn't Skorupi a Bug/Poison like all other Bug/Poison pokémon? Because there's a type change. Skorupi loses its Bug-type when evolving into Drapion which is Poison/Dark.
Skrelp is a similar case. A pokémon which lives exclusively on water, but is Poison/Water, not Water/Poison, again because it changes from Poison/Water to Poison/Dragon, when evolving. Why couldn't Skrelp be Water/Poison and Dragalge be Dragon/Poison? It seems GF doesn't like changing the Primary-type, that's why.

Back to Altaria, one of the reasons they weren't primary Flying is because only recently GF started to care more about the Flying-type, introducing Tornadus and such. It would make more sense as Altaria only has a Dragon-type because of its Peng origin, which is pretty unnoticeable in its design and I don't think that qualifies as a reason to have Dragon as primary-type. Also, wouldn't it make more sense for Rayquaza to be Flying/Dragon, as it is the Sky representative of the Weather trio? (Rayquza is a pretty good example of an actual dragon, though, so I'd probably leave it they way it is.)

But even now, they changed Altaria from Dragon/Flying to Dragon/Fairy in its Mega form. Had it been primary Flying, we now would have a Mega which changes the Primary-type, or maybe not as they could very well ditch the Dragon-type to avoid that... But GF likes hype, so a Fairy/Dragon would always sound cooler than a Flying/Fairy.

And let's not counting the amount of pokémon that can clearly fly but are not Flying-type. What's interesting is most of those pokémon are usually part-Dragon or part-Bug, so they always leave the Flying-type out in favor or another type when pairing with those 2 types.
All this leads to what Mitja proposed the other day about an airbone mechanic which I also believe could solve a lot of these oddities.

Skarmory is a strong Pokémon that is used a lot competitively as well. It has no evolutionary relatives, so I think that gives it a good possibility of getting a Mega Evolution. The design also has a lot of potential. Metal spikes.

It could get a nice speed boost and a higher defence/special defence. Metal is often used as a way to draw electricity, so perhaps Lightningrod would help to remove one of its weaknesses.

Romain said:
Skarmory is a strong Pokémon that is used a lot competitively as well. It has no evolutionary relatives, so I think that gives it a good possibility of getting a Mega Evolution. The design also has a lot of potential. Metal spikes.

It could get a nice speed boost and a higher defence/special defence. Metal is often used as a way to draw electricity, so perhaps Lightningrod would help to remove one of its weaknesses.

Especially since Mantine got a prevo and it and Skarmory are equivalents in GSCHGSS.

^That's hardly a good comparison... Mantine got a pre-evo (meaning a weaker form), which is the complete oposite of a Mega...

Metalizard said:
^That's hardly a good comparison... Mantine got a pre-evo (meaning a weaker form), which is the complete oposite of a Mega...

I know, but that's probably how GF will look at it.

Metalizard said:

she's probably getting at the fact they evolved Dusclops...to then give Banette a mega. Or giving Scyther an evo, but not Pinsir...releasing megas simultaneously for both of them anyway xD

EDIT: sorry blob55 ^^"

Romain said:

Oh dear God, if it gets Lightningrod, that would be ridiculous. With no Electric weakness the only thing it would be weak to is Fire.

Mitja said:
Metalizard said:

he's probably getting at the fact they evolved Dusclops...to then give Banette a mega. Or giving Scyther an evo, but not Pinsir...releasing megas simultaneously for both of them anyway xD

She.
Though, Mega Pinsir is better than Mega Scizor, despite having way more weaknesses.

I expect Mega Regi's, all with +100 boost to their respective defenses.

Mega Regigias must also have Speed Boost, with the moss having being burned away to reveal the hidden rockets on its legs.

98Greener said:
I expect Mega Regi's, all with +100 boost to their respective defenses.

Mega Regigias must also have Speed Boost, with the moss having being burned away to reveal the hidden rockets on its legs.

It has a rocket? IS it related to Golurk?

I would like to see Kingdra getting a mega, in which its blue gets darker and its fin expands down its body to look like the sail of a large ship. It would make sense to keep it Water/Dragon and give it +20 to all base stats except HP to retain its balance. As for the ability, I like the idea of Storm Drain, to fit the whirlpool theme of Kingdra, help it draw in Water attacks in doubles, and give it a way to boost Sp. Attack to make more use of its special movepool, which is wider than its physical.

In summary, a Water/Dragon mega with a 75/115/115/115/115/105 stat spread and Storm Drain is what I envision. It wouldn't outclass standard Kingdra's other options, but it would add to the seahorse's variety and also give a nice sailing ship-theme.

Back