Discussion Most Dissapointing TCG Set

My least favorite sets were the ones that I believe created disturbing Metagame trends after their cards were released. In that regard, Plasma Storm, Phantom Forces, Breakpoint and Next Destinies are my least favorite sets.

-Next Destinies introduced the 170-180 HP Pokemon-EX mechanic that ended up overpowering normal cards at the time, particularly the Mewtwo-EX craziness.
-Plasma Storm introduced the cruel Hypnotoxic Laser / Virbank Gym combo that haunted the format for a long time, with the annoying sleep flip that drove many players crazy. Colress and Colress machine were also OP here.
-Phantom Forces introduced Night March, the really OP trainers that reshaped decks, and the first card in many years to be banned in tournaments.
-Breakpoint enforced the HP gap and privilages even more with the Fighting Fury Belt and Max Elixir made more for big basics to use, and the 2 major Break cards were rather OP as well. Too many Normal Evolutions were starting to get singled out, less able to compete with the extra 40 HP given to basics, and Trevenant/Greninja Break sniping their lower HP.

Despite this... I must admit Base 2 was a really stupid move as well! :p

Primal Clash and Breakthrough just because there were cards that didnt need to be there (especially in Breakthrough)

New entry: Evolutions. Having a fourth helping of Base Set leftovers (after Base 2 and Legendary Collection) with the same artwork is not my idea of celebrating the 20th anniversary.

New entry: Evolutions. Having a fourth helping of Base Set leftovers (after Base 2 and Legendary Collection) with the same artwork is not my idea of celebrating the 20th anniversary.

Oh it is because of the same artwork it is the right way to celebrate. Leaving out important cards is why this set is a failure. The problem with reprinting is they often do it too soon. That's why base set 2 was hated. And even LTR and GEN reprinted cards too soon. And don't forget all those XY EX reprints, mew ex And Garbodor. Yuk! 9

I want holos like we had when we were kids -- not the crappy reverse holos we have now -- because it seems like a cheap cop - out.
The holo should be behind the pokemon!

I would consider a better way to celebrate an anniversary to a) not fill the set with a bunch of new EX and Break cards and b) not use the same old artwork that people who actually collected back in the day would still have. Pretty much, both Generations and Evolutions made this mistake, although Generations did new artwork for a few (but not all) of the reprints. I liked the way they did the nostalgia reprints in Gen 4, where it was similar but updated artwork. They should have done that again here.

Anything since Breakpoint because I hate, nay, loathe BREAK cards. Their only function is to decrease the value of cards you can pull. And they're also the ugliest design language in Pokémon TCG ever, visually.

If you transported me forward in time from 2001 to today to see a game table with a bunch of BREAK cards lying around, I'd tell you all to clear off those crappy cheap bubblegum stickers so I could see the cards lol

Also a shoutout to Primal Clash for the most un-fun and toxic card in the format: Rough Seas. Absolutely rubbish design, worse than Lysandre's Trump Card and should be banned.

I want holos like we had when we were kids -- not the crappy reverse holos we have now -- because it seems like a cheap cop - out.
The holo should be behind the pokemon!

I agree, the starfoil pattern needs to come back. We do have "proper" holo still, but without any pattern making them boring.

And I agree that reverse foil is second-rate to real holo. Except Team Plasma cards from the Plasma sets :)

Last edited:
Anything since Breakpoint because I hate, nay, loathe BREAK cards. Their only function is to decrease the value of cards you can pull. And they're also the ugliest design language in Pokémon TCG ever, visually.

If you transported me forward in time from 2001 to today to see a game table with a bunch of BREAK cards lying around, I'd tell you all to clear off those crappy cheap bubblegum stickers so I could see the cards lol

Also a shoutout to Primal Clash for the most un-fun and toxic card in the format: Rough Seas. Absolutely rubbish design, worse than Lysandre's Trump Card and should be banned.

I agree, the starfoil pattern needs to come back. We do have "proper" holo still, but without any pattern making them boring.

And I agree that reverse foil is second-rate to real holo. Except Team Plasma cards from the Plasma sets :)

I like the Break cards, I think they're a cool addition to collections. Especially considering they won't last very long, maybe not even into the next Gen.

69th post, I'm immature. I don't like Evolutions any better, only good cards are Starmie and Brock's Gust, Dragonite-EX is kind of eh, along with a cool Switch reprint, but other than that not much, maybe M Venasuar-EX, M Pidgeot-EX, and Raticate but I can think of nothing remotely competitive after this. The set feels like it was catering to nostalgia and collector's while giving no f**** about the competitive scene, ignoring or half-baking counters to threats in the current meta (incredibly disappointed with Rattata, an ability to block something that blocks abilities.) And other than that, I don't understand the point of Here Come's Team Rocket!, Imakuni?'s Doduo (I do like that one though,) and Exxegcutor as Ultra Rare's, they should have just been part of the set. The full art of the starters just being our Generations promo (they really should have just not printed them as promos in English,) and the random inclusion of a full art Pikachu-EX, and the missed opportunity of a Venasaur and Blastoise reprint, (those cards would have been really good in this format, but clearly that would make no money, and we don't have enough room or it in this set, literally remove some of the cards that don't have evolutions, and boom you have enough room.) Why no Jynx? I'm assuming pure laziness, or an attempt to keep it flawless to the Japanese release, instead of just using the English artwork, which already changed it. And nerfing cards that don't need to be nerfed. I still hate this set, and I doubt my opinion will change on this matter.

69th post, I'm immature. I don't like Evolutions any better, only good cards are Starmie and Brock's Gust, Dragonite-EX is kind of eh, along with a cool Switch reprint, but other than that not much, maybe M Venasuar-EX, M Pidgeot-EX, and Raticate but I can think of nothing remotely competitive after this. The set feels like it was catering to nostalgia and collector's while giving no f**** about the competitive scene, ignoring or half-baking counters to threats in the current meta (incredibly disappointed with Rattata, an ability to block something that blocks abilities.) And other than that, I don't understand the point of Here Come's Team Rocket!, Imakuni?'s Doduo (I do like that one though,) and Exxegcutor as Ultra Rare's, they should have just been part of the set. The full art of the starters just being our Generations promo (they really should have just not printed them as promos in English,) and the random inclusion of a full art Pikachu-EX, and the missed opportunity of a Venasaur and Blastoise reprint, (those cards would have been really good in this format, but clearly that would make no money, and we don't have enough room or it in this set, literally remove some of the cards that don't have evolutions, and boom you have enough room.) Why no Jynx? I'm assuming pure laziness, or an attempt to keep it flawless to the Japanese release, instead of just using the English artwork, which already changed it. And nerfing cards that don't need to be nerfed. I still hate this set, and I doubt my opinion will change on this matter.

XY: Evolutions seems to be a "collector bait" set. Kind of torn about that myself. When done properly, they give players with a solid card base a "vacation", players needing some good (or at least decent) Trainers another shot at them, plus please collectors and casuals alike. When done really well, as in way back with the Legendary Collection, they also are designed so that Limited Format events can actually work in Pokémon more like they work in other games (not firsthand knowledge on my part, FYI =P).

Not saying the set isn't disappointing, just that I can accept it being collector bait. I just wish it was more competent collector's bait. There are a few cards I think you may have missed, but not many. Oh, and Here Comes Team Rocket! at least means I can finally stop worrying about future releases (or re-releases) "breaking" Greedy Dice; Here Comes Team Rocket! counters it as Greedy Dice only works if it was taken while facedown.

I think the only thing I'm really looking forward to in this set is my collector's stuff, IE the new EX's and the BREAKS. Maybe some other cards will stick out but for now I can't really think of any except for Mew on lilypad. Maybe Nidoking as a holo.

I wonder if our set will even have the FA Venusaur EX, Charizard EX, Blastoise EX And Pikachu EX since we already got them in collections. I suppose it might be possible though if they're gold bordered secrets.

Sorry for the writing mistakes, but my phones keeps using Dutch autocorrect on English words. I wrote a lot, Don't have the energy to check the text...

Base set
Not anyone could hate that set! It is where it all begun! Minor flaw: incomplete evolution lines.

Jungle
Eeveelutions, Jungle fever? What's not to like? Well, the lack of trainer cards and the awful habit of WOTC to print holo's as non holos.

Fossil
Liked this set as well, but I was bummed that they skipped mew. And WOTC habit was bad!

Team Rocket
It was something different, what I liked. And I loved that we got the US only Dark Raichu. But I think that the introduction of [name] Pokémon came too soon.

Gym Sets
I was a happy collector when these sets van out. I am a big fan of Ken Sugimori and I loved all the art work.

Base Set 2
WOTC wanted mo money, so they printed this s*it. Still haven't found the urge to complete this set!

Neo 1
What a magical time it was. When the new Pokémon came out in Japan I bought my first japanese booster pack And the starter folder. I was so hyped. When the US set came out I bought all the first edition boosters I could find. And that payed off. Got almost all 1st editions. Flaws? I believe there are non! My favorite set to date. And it got slowking and sneasel. Oh yes the only flaw is that moo moo milk got an alternate print.

Neo 2
New eeveelutions! Yay! But it was my least favorite of the four Neo sets. Holo rare Magnemite? Come on.

Neo 3
Yet another Ampharos! Love! And Ho-oh And Celebi And the legendary beasts. What a treat! I really like this set! And the shining Pokémon where a nice addition too!

Neo 4
Don't like the dark and light Pokémon, but the Shinings made up for it! And it had Some of the best artwork. Love Light Arcanine!

Legendary Collection
Piece of **** like base set two, but the reverse holo cards make this set worth while.

Expedition
I did not like the E-card Era! Did not like it at all! I hated the yellow borders and I hated that these sets where almost impossible to complete. Expedition had also a major flaw: reverse holo holo's and rares where almost the same.

Aquapolis
The e-card drama grew bigger and bigger because WOTC began combining sets and I bought booster box after booster box and I went almost broke. I was still very young at that age!

Skyridge
This was a turning point for me. I completed Skyridge but the fun of Collecting was almost gone. I had no money to buy another huge set. And It wasn't as fun as it was before. I lost my love for Pokémon TCG.
Since this set holds so Many memories and is one of the rarest totday, I cherish it. But I really hated it back in the day!

Ex: Ruby & Sapphire
Again new Pokémon and Nintendo took over! I was happy and I wanted to give Pokémon another chance. I completed yet other set and BAM! Sandstorm came.

Sandstorm
It was really too much. After a few boosters I decided to quit. This was it. There were too many sets and they came too soon after one another. It was a decent set. But it didn't convinced me to keep collecting.

Dragon
My curiosity stayed and I bought a few packs. I had no luck, not luck at all. It was my cue to really stop collecting. And I really liked the Eon Pokémon and the dragon vibe. And with the knowledge I have today I know I shouldn't have stopped. Gold Stars were coming.

I GOT BACK IN THE GAME DURING THE PLATINUM SERIES, BUT I WILL CONTINUE MY REVIEW OF ALL SETS

Magma / Aqua
Don't like this set at all! Ugly card designs and awful Pokémon. It is one of my least favorite sets. Maybe that is the reason why - years laters - I had a hard time embrasing Primal Clash!

Hidden Legends
I know many people hate this set, but I like it. Of al the ex serie sets it is in my top 5 I think. Like the reverse holo idea introduced in this set. It makes me happy. And it got cool Jirachi and Dark Celebi cards!

Fire Red/Leaf Green
This is my favorite ex set next to unseen forces. It brings back a lot of nostalgia. It reminds me of base set. And it has amazing ex cards. For me it is also special since it is the first master set I completed!

Team Rocket Returns
Omg! Gold Stars. And expensive Ex cards! This was a heavy set to complete When I returned to collecting. But I liked it because of the dark feeling it has. I still need 4 cards though (zapdos ex, mewtwo ex, torchic gs and treecko gs)

Deoxys
I cried a bit when I discoved this set! Rayquaza gold star is so expensive and rare that I thought I would never be able to complete it. And I still haven't. But when I do I Will be really happy!

Emerald
For me this set has no theme, but since it has awesome ex cards, no gold stars, nice cards and I love the ex series reverses. So I am very positieve About this set. A financiel relief for me as a collector.

Unseen Forces
This is my most favorite set of the ex series. I love gen 2 and this set brings me back to that era, to that johto feeling. It makes me happy. It also contains the first gold star I pulled from a booster: entei. It is 100% nostalgia!

Delta Species
Due to the fact I stopped collecting and playing I missed out on the Delta Species Pokémon. And I didn't really get the concept. Why would oddish be water? Alolan Form preview? However, as a collector I liked this set because of the different treatment the delta holos got. I still haven't got the gold stars from this set. So this set still has my attention.

Holon Phantoms
When I got back in the game the second time - yes I quit twice - I found this set almost complete on internet and I bought it. It was a quick score and was on my way to complete my collection. Sinds it was the first set from the delta era it got, it is special to me. But since I never played with these cards, this era is al blurry and All sets look the same to me.

Legend Maker
This was a nice interruption in the mess that was delta species. I love this simple set.

Crystal Guardians
The title of the set gives me a very epic feeling and I like the delta species charizard and goldstars. However, this set feels like a mess. Do you wanna be in the delta era it not. It feels like it is already phasing out the delta Pokémon.

Dragon Frontiers
Oh no, the delta Pokémon are still in the game! And yet again a Dragon themed set in the ex-era! It feels like a filler to me. But people who played the set might think different. When I had to collect all the ex sets in the BW era most set felt the same to me.

Power Keepers
Speaking of fillers. This reprint set is the biggest filler of all times. However, I am generally positieve of this set. It gives me the back to normal feeling, it has lots of ken sugimori prints and holo energy. Like, like, like!

Diamond Pearl
I skipped the whole DP era. I did not like this gen on the DS and It didn't trigger me to go back into the TCG. This set was ok, I guess.

Mysterious Treasures
This set did not make any impression on me. Did not like it.

Secret Wonders
Gardevoir LVX was the only good thing for me as a collector!

Great Encounters
This is one of the few DP sets that felt right to me. I like the cards, the Pokémon and the overall feeling.

Majestic Dawn
When I got back in the game for the first time I bought a booster box of MD. I was a bit disappoited by my pulls, But I was happy with the eeveelutions being in this set!

Legends Awakend
Ok set! That's all!

Stormfront
Have no opinion of this set. DP era is a real blurr. Nothing really stands out. But I have never played these cards.

Platinum
Before I started collecting this set I already had most of the LVX cards and I was thinking of building a shaymin deck! Like the secret rares.

Rising Rivals
Love the Subset, But hate GL, C, etc cards. Blegh!

I GOT BACK IN THE GAME JUST BEFORE THE RELEASE OF SUPRÈME VICTORS, BUT MY RETURN WAS SHORT LIVED!

Suprème Victors
And I was back in the game! Bought tons of SV boosters, traded a lot, completed the set and it felt good. And because of the awesome SR cards and Charizard, I was generally happy.

Arceus
Why wouldn't I complete a set about the god Pokémon arceus? So I did! And I was hyped about the holo foil on the AR subset.

HGSS
The new TCG design was cool and I liked this era, But after completing HGSS I lost interest Again!

AFTER HGSS I QUIT AGAIN AND I FELT THAT POKÉMON TCG STILL WAS TOO EXPENSIVE! MY SECOND RETURN WAS AT THE END OF THE BW ERA, BUT I KEEP REVIEWING!

Unleased / Undaunted / Truimphant
For me these sets are equal. Love the design, the themes and the Pokémon. But nothing really stands out!

Call of Legends
Only interesting because of the special holo energy and the subset! A lot of legendaries. So That's good!

Black and White / Emerging Powers /Noble Victories
Three sets, a new generation. But Evert set has almost two cards per Pokémon. Lazy! And I really Don't like it. I'm glad I missed out on these sets when they came out!

Next Destinies
Finally the new EX Pokémon arrived and it was glorious. You see that this was the first yet out for FA's and some of them are more smooth that the ones from later sets!

Dark explorers
From this set on I really like the BW era. Especially because of the awesome alternate prints. But it also got Darkrai ex! Neat!

Dragons Exalted
Dragons, Ho-oh ex, Mew ex, what was not to like? And I got everything so cheap!

Boundaries Crossed
One of my favorite sets, because of Skyla, the gold border SR cards, and the overal set was nice.

Plasma Storm
Legendary birds, charizard and blastoise gold secret rares. A collector's treasure. But why no Venusaur? Strange choices.

Plasma Freeze
Golden Ultra Ball *cries* So pretty and neat! And I got one for less than 15 dollars. *cries again*

AND WITH THE RELEASE OF PLASMA BLAST I GOT BACK IN THE GAME.

Plasma Blast
The end of the plasma era. It was amazing. Virizion and Genesect ended up in my deck But I never got the chance to really test it. It was a very good set!

LTR
The set got my hyped because of all the EX cards and the Radiant Collection. I really loved this set, because I did't knew the older BW cards. But after I did it became a reprint bummer for me.

XY base set
The sixt generation is one of my favorites, it has xerneas and delphox. The xerneas full art was amazing and It has so many playable cards.

Flash Fire
After XY1 I decided to never stop collecting again. I missed so much and I had to pay the price for collecting the older sets. Returning to a League helped me being enthusuastic. I liked the second XY set, But it was a slight Charizard overkill.

Furious Fists
The Charizard boxen came out too early so I got many FFI boosters ahead of its release. Therefore I skipped booster boxes and bought single packs. It payed off. Besides fun to collect, it has also many Great cards like lucario ex and seismitoad ex.

Phantom Forces
It was the night march set! So couldn't like it more than I did. And m Gengar ex was awesome too.

Primal Clash
It reminded me a lot of the ex: team aqua and Team magma set! Therefore it wasn't my favorite. However, Gardevoir ex and the ancient trait cards made me very happy. Especially the AT reverses. Unfortunately M sharpedo ex and M Camerupt ex were skipped and nobody knows why....

Roaring skies
One of my favorite XY sets because of Shaymin and Rayquaza and the focus on flying type!

Ancient Origins
Hoopa! Hoopa! Hoopa! Hurray. This set had the perfect look and feel and very good cards. It also has beautiful shining Pokémon. A perfect set.

Breakthrough
I was not happy with this set due to the bad pull rates. Got awful cards in my booster box. Also the hype around mewtwo made me not like it. I have to admit: I know have a mega mewtwo deck!!

BreakPoint
Good trainers, greninja break. It was a solid set! I was very happy with my pulls!

Fates Collide
Alakazam was back and I had the best pulls ever! And it has Some potential good cards.

Steam Siege
Yeah!! I thought I had good pulls in Fates, But this was even better! With sycamore and volcanion secret rare. I love this set because of the mega Gardevoir, shinings, duaal types and all that stuff!!

Generation
This is garbage!

Added spoiler - Steffenka

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the writing mistakes, but my phones keeps using Dutch autocorrect on English words. I wrote a lot, Don't have the energy to check the text...

Base set
Not anyone could hate that set! It is where it all begun! Minor flaw: incomplete evolution lines.

Jungle
Eeveelutions, Jungle fever? What's not to like? Well, the lack of trainer cards and the awful habit of WOTC to print holo's as non holos.

Fossil
Liked this set as well, but I was bummed that they skipped mew. And WOTC habit was bad!

Team Rocket
It was something different, what I liked. And I loved that we got the US only Dark Raichu. But I think that the introduction of [name] Pokémon came too soon.

Gym Sets
I was a happy collector when these sets van out. I am a big fan of Ken Sugimori and I loved all the art work.

Base Set 2
WOTC wanted mo money, so they printed this s*it. Still haven't found the urge to complete this set!

Neo 1
What a magical time it was. When the new Pokémon came out in Japan I bought my first japanese booster pack And the starter folder. I was so hyped. When the US set came out I bought all the first edition boosters I could find. And that payed off. Got almost all 1st editions. Flaws? I believe there are non! My favorite set to date. And it got slowking and sneasel. Oh yes the only flaw is that moo moo milk got an alternate print.

Neo 2
New eeveelutions! Yay! But it was my least favorite of the four Neo sets. Holo rare Magnemite? Come on.

Neo 3
Yet another Ampharos! Love! And Ho-oh And Celebi And the legendary beasts. What a treat! I really like this set! And the shining Pokémon where a nice addition too!

Neo 4
Don't like the dark and light Pokémon, but the Shinings made up for it! And it had Some of the best artwork. Love Light Arcanine!

Legendary Collection
Piece of **** like base set two, but the reverse holo cards make this set worth while.

Expedition
I did not like the E-card Era! Did not like it at all! I hated the yellow borders and I hated that these sets where almost impossible to complete. Expedition had also a major flaw: reverse holo holo's and rares where almost the same.

Aquapolis
The e-card drama grew bigger and bigger because WOTC began combining sets and I bought booster box after booster box and I went almost broke. I was still very young at that age!

Skyridge
This was a turning point for me. I completed Skyridge but the fun of Collecting was almost gone. I had no money to buy another huge set. And It wasn't as fun as it was before. I lost my love for Pokémon TCG.
Since this set holds so Many memories and is one of the rarest totday, I cherish it. But I really hated it back in the day!

Ex: Ruby & Sapphire
Again new Pokémon and Nintendo took over! I was happy and I wanted to give Pokémon another chance. I completed yet other set and BAM! Sandstorm came.

Sandstorm
It was really too much. After a few boosters I decided to quit. This was it. There were too many sets and they came too soon after one another. It was a decent set. But it didn't convinced me to keep collecting.

Dragon
My curiosity stayed and I bought a few packs. I had no luck, not luck at all. It was my cue to really stop collecting. And I really liked the Eon Pokémon and the dragon vibe. And with the knowledge I have today I know I shouldn't have stopped. Gold Stars were coming.

I GOT BACK IN THE GAME DURING THE PLATINUM SERIES, BUT I WILL CONTINUE MY REVIEW OF ALL SETS

Magma / Aqua
Don't like this set at all! Ugly card designs and awful Pokémon. It is one of my least favorite sets. Maybe that is the reason why - years laters - I had a hard time embrasing Primal Clash!

Hidden Legends
I know many people hate this set, but I like it. Of al the ex serie sets it is in my top 5 I think. Like the reverse holo idea introduced in this set. It makes me happy. And it got cool Jirachi and Dark Celebi cards!

Fire Red/Leaf Green
This is my favorite ex set next to unseen forces. It brings back a lot of nostalgia. It reminds me of base set. And it has amazing ex cards. For me it is also special since it is the first master set I completed!

Team Rocket Returns
Omg! Gold Stars. And expensive Ex cards! This was a heavy set to complete When I returned to collecting. But I liked it because of the dark feeling it has. I still need 4 cards though (zapdos ex, mewtwo ex, torchic gs and treecko gs)

Deoxys
I cried a bit when I discoved this set! Rayquaza gold star is so expensive and rare that I thought I would never be able to complete it. And I still haven't. But when I do I Will be really happy!

Emerald
For me this set has no theme, but since it has awesome ex cards, no gold stars, nice cards and I love the ex series reverses. So I am very positieve About this set. A financiel relief for me as a collector.

Unseen Forces
This is my most favorite set of the ex series. I love gen 2 and this set brings me back to that era, to that johto feeling. It makes me happy. It also contains the first gold star I pulled from a booster: entei. It is 100% nostalgia!

Delta Species
Due to the fact I stopped collecting and playing I missed out on the Delta Species Pokémon. And I didn't really get the concept. Why would oddish be water? Alolan Form preview? However, as a collector I liked this set because of the different treatment the delta holos got. I still haven't got the gold stars from this set. So this set still has my attention.

Holon Phantoms
When I got back in the game the second time - yes I quit twice - I found this set almost complete on internet and I bought it. It was a quick score and was on my way to complete my collection. Sinds it was the first set from the delta era it got, it is special to me. But since I never played with these cards, this era is al blurry and All sets look the same to me.

Legend Maker
This was a nice interruption in the mess that was delta species. I love this simple set.

Crystal Guardians
The title of the set gives me a very epic feeling and I like the delta species charizard and goldstars. However, this set feels like a mess. Do you wanna be in the delta era it not. It feels like it is already phasing out the delta Pokémon.

Dragon Frontiers
Oh no, the delta Pokémon are still in the game! And yet again a Dragon themed set in the ex-era! It feels like a filler to me. But people who played the set might think different. When I had to collect all the ex sets in the BW era most set felt the same to me.

Power Keepers
Speaking of fillers. This reprint set is the biggest filler of all times. However, I am generally positieve of this set. It gives me the back to normal feeling, it has lots of ken sugimori prints and holo energy. Like, like, like!

Diamond Pearl
I skipped the whole DP era. I did not like this gen on the DS and It didn't trigger me to go back into the TCG. This set was ok, I guess.

Mysterious Treasures
This set did not make any impression on me. Did not like it.

Secret Wonders
Gardevoir LVX was the only good thing for me as a collector!

Great Encounters
This is one of the few DP sets that felt right to me. I like the cards, the Pokémon and the overall feeling.

Majestic Dawn
When I got back in the game for the first time I bought a booster box of MD. I was a bit disappoited by my pulls, But I was happy with the eeveelutions being in this set!

Legends Awakend
Ok set! That's all!

Stormfront
Have no opinion of this set. DP era is a real blurr. Nothing really stands out. But I have never played these cards.

Platinum
Before I started collecting this set I already had most of the LVX cards and I was thinking of building a shaymin deck! Like the secret rares.

Rising Rivals
Love the Subset, But hate GL, C, etc cards. Blegh!

I GOT BACK IN THE GAME JUST BEFORE THE RELEASE OF SUPRÈME VICTORS, BUT MY RETURN WAS SHORT LIVED!

Suprème Victors
And I was back in the game! Bought tons of SV boosters, traded a lot, completed the set and it felt good. And because of the awesome SR cards and Charizard, I was generally happy.

Arceus
Why wouldn't I complete a set about the god Pokémon arceus? So I did! And I was hyped about the holo foil on the AR subset.

HGSS
The new TCG design was cool and I liked this era, But after completing HGSS I lost interest Again!

AFTER HGSS I QUIT AGAIN AND I FELT THAT POKÉMON TCG STILL WAS TOO EXPENSIVE! MY SECOND RETURN WAS AT THE END OF THE BW ERA, BUT I KEEP REVIEWING!

Unleased / Undaunted / Truimphant
For me these sets are equal. Love the design, the themes and the Pokémon. But nothing really stands out!

Call of Legends
Only interesting because of the special holo energy and the subset! A lot of legendaries. So That's good!

Black and White / Emerging Powers /Noble Victories
Three sets, a new generation. But Evert set has almost two cards per Pokémon. Lazy! And I really Don't like it. I'm glad I missed out on these sets when they came out!

Next Destinies
Finally the new EX Pokémon arrived and it was glorious. You see that this was the first yet out for FA's and some of them are more smooth that the ones from later sets!

Dark explorers
From this set on I really like the BW era. Especially because of the awesome alternate prints. But it also got Darkrai ex! Neat!

Dragons Exalted
Dragons, Ho-oh ex, Mew ex, what was not to like? And I got everything so cheap!

Boundaries Crossed
One of my favorite sets, because of Skyla, the gold border SR cards, and the overal set was nice.

Plasma Storm
Legendary birds, charizard and blastoise gold secret rares. A collector's treasure. But why no Venusaur? Strange choices.

Plasma Freeze
Golden Ultra Ball *cries* So pretty and neat! And I got one for less than 15 dollars. *cries again*

AND WITH THE RELEASE OF PLASMA BLAST I GOT BACK IN THE GAME.

Plasma Blast
The end of the plasma era. It was amazing. Virizion and Genesect ended up in my deck But I never got the chance to really test it. It was a very good set!

LTR
The set got my hyped because of all the EX cards and the Radiant Collection. I really loved this set, because I did't knew the older BW cards. But after I did it became a reprint bummer for me.

XY base set
The sixt generation is one of my favorites, it has xerneas and delphox. The xerneas full art was amazing and It has so many playable cards.

Flash Fire
After XY1 I decided to never stop collecting again. I missed so much and I had to pay the price for collecting the older sets. Returning to a League helped me being enthusuastic. I liked the second XY set, But it was a slight Charizard overkill.

Furious Fists
The Charizard boxen came out too early so I got many FFI boosters ahead of its release. Therefore I skipped booster boxes and bought single packs. It payed off. Besides fun to collect, it has also many Great cards like lucario ex and seismitoad ex.

Phantom Forces
It was the night march set! So couldn't like it more than I did. And m Gengar ex was awesome too.

Primal Clash
It reminded me a lot of the ex: team aqua and Team magma set! Therefore it wasn't my favorite. However, Gardevoir ex and the ancient trait cards made me very happy. Especially the AT reverses. Unfortunately M sharpedo ex and M Camerupt ex were skipped and nobody knows why....

Roaring skies
One of my favorite XY sets because of Shaymin and Rayquaza and the focus on flying type!

Ancient Origins
Hoopa! Hoopa! Hoopa! Hurray. This set had the perfect look and feel and very good cards. It also has beautiful shining Pokémon. A perfect set.

Breakthrough
I was not happy with this set due to the bad pull rates. Got awful cards in my booster box. Also the hype around mewtwo made me not like it. I have to admit: I know have a mega mewtwo deck!!

BreakPoint
Good trainers, greninja break. It was a solid set! I was very happy with my pulls!

Fates Collide
Alakazam was back and I had the best pulls ever! And it has Some potential good cards.

Steam Siege
Yeah!! I thought I had good pulls in Fates, But this was even better! With sycamore and volcanion secret rare. I love this set because of the mega Gardevoir, shinings, duaal types and all that stuff!!

Generation
This is garbage!
Generations sucks hard. The only good things are the Radiant Collection (because adorableness), and the URs. The rest are just reprints.

Generations was far from disappointing. It let people get some decent pulls, good for collectors, newcomers, or people who just want some nice looking EX's.

Anyways, a set which was very disappointing is Black/White base set and Emerging Powers. Besides the gorgeous Reshiram and Zekrom full arts, the cards were simply...ugly. If people thought the Plasma sets had ugly CGI, the first two sets had such generic cards. Couldn't stand how a lot of the cards looked like. Thankfully Next Destinies-legendary treasures made up for it.

Evolutions is somewhat of a disappointment. I would have preferred for them to have released XY:Legendary Treasures in all honesty. Either that or postpone Sun/Moon TCG for later.

From what Ive seen though the GX set may be the most disappointing. The full arts look terrible and since thats what got me interested in the collecting the cards again that may be Rip.

At this point I can ignore the design of the card if t still has the textured ridges.
If you are reffering to the textured ridges found full arts there not that much obvious in the English versions since it appears that they aren't made with the same finish as the Japanese versions that seem to have countless amount of layers going by, looking far more intricately crafted.
If you are, you're the only opinon of these that I have so far stumbled across. ;)

Base Set 2. It added absolutely nothing new and was more of a cash-grab for WotC. The cards in this set are worth significantly less than their original counterparts, and you had a huge ugly logo on originally logo-free cards to boot. At least some of the Legendary Collection cards had increased value. (especially reverse holos)

Base Set 2. It added absolutely nothing new and was more of a cash-grab for WotC. The cards in this set are worth significantly less than their original counterparts, and you had a huge ugly logo on originally logo-free cards to boot. At least some of the Legendary Collection cards had increased value. (especially reverse holos)

The Legendary Collection also was (reportedly) re-balanced for Limited play (which I mentioned earlier), but you reminded me of another thing I found irritating about Base Set 2: it really should have been a re-release of Base Set through Fossil, released after Team Rocket. I know, I know, it was to combat scarcity, but then why not do another print run of the original sets? This was back when we had 1st Edition versus non-1st Edition to even cope with extra print runs. @_@

SM1+ Sun Moon Strengthening has to be on this shortlist. Reprints of cards that are barely 6 weeks old with poor pull rates. Even more cosmog. 3 of the GX cards were available in recent theme decks, and these are duplicated for SR and HR.

Yeah, Ray is part flying but no one looks at Rayquaza and say thats a cool flying type. Not that this is much of a thing but Mewtwo is also a 'flying' Pokemon. Its part of the reason I wanted bird to be its own type because many bird Pokemon don't fly and it separates them from things like Gyarados. When it comes to things like Pidgeot, Staraptor, Noctowl and other bird Pokemon, people see them as flying types. So while Rayquaza has a colorless card, its still a dragon Pokemon though I have to ask what do you mean by type refinement.
This may seem off topic but I had that same feeling for Tyrantrum being a Dragon type when it's only logic for making sense for the games for having a reasonable defensive and offensive typing. Of course, it really should be more of a "Bird" type then Dragon unless an 'Ancient' or 'Primal' type comes along one day to save all the loosely typed extinct inspired species together...

Back