Discussion Most Dissapointing TCG Set

Weavile GX

Nebby!
I personally don't like evolutions too. Half of the EXs where reprints and there where only a few playable cards.

Ken Masters

Aspiring Trainer
As a personal opinion i hate both Neo discovery and Next Destinies those were (for me) boring sets, even thou in both sets i got really nice pulls (for the time or maybe because i like the holo i got in those years)...not much to say or i don't know what else i can say appart not liking the art of some of pokemons i do love, the boring trainers in Neo d. ...

And i read someone said they hated E series..i love those i still use energies from that time (mainly Grass and Psychic) love the border desing of non E reader compatilble Holo rares and some art from those cards

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
As a personal opinion i hate both Neo discovery and Next Destinies those were (for me) boring sets, even thou in both sets i got really nice pulls (for the time or maybe because i like the holo i got in those years)...not much to say or i don't know what else i can say appart not liking the art of some of pokemons i do love, the boring trainers in Neo d. ...

And i read someone said they hated E series..i love those i still use energies from that time (mainly Grass and Psychic) love the border desing of non E reader compatilble Holo rares and some art from those cards

Yeah, the 3d art of Next Destinies was pretty bad. I have no idea who looked at that and said "yep, this is some quality art".

Jenna573

Lurking in the background for 20+ years!
Hmm... You know, I said Base Set 2 was my vote for worst set, but thinking about it, this thread is about the most disappointing set, not just purely garbage set. In order to be disappointed, you have to look forward to something first. Nobody really looked forward to Base Set 2. I personally was looking forward to XY Evolutions, however, and after the initial nostalgia factor was over, I realised that most of the set is unusable and the retro art style clashes so heavily with every other set that I actually find it to be really ugly now. With only a very small handful of decent cards, it is absolutely not worth it to buy packs at all, and the theme decks are a joke, even by international theme deck standards. I am authentically disappointed by XY Evolutions. :/

Otaku

The wise fool?
Nobody really looked forward to Base Set 2.

I was looking forward to it, at the time. ;)

The fact that Legendary Collection was so well liked (maybe even beloved) helped demonstrate that this kind of thing can be done and done right. Base Set 2 was either too early or too late for its intended purpose; instead of being happy to get copies of some of the Base Set Holo-Rares a bit easier (for play purposes, not collecting), I was lucky to not pull some of the same filler Rare cards I already had in abundance from actual Base Set and Jungle packs.

I am not trying to argue your real point, however; you didn't have high expectations for Base Set 2, but did for XY: Evolutions, so that set was more disappointing for you. The only reason it wasn't for me was because my expectations for XY: Evolutions were probably where yours were for Base Set 2. XD

JimiCobain27

Aspiring Trainer
I'd certainly have to put my vote for XY Evolutions as the most disappointing. At first, I was overcome with nostalgia and opening those first few packs really took me back in time, especially since I pulled holo Charizard in my first pack, but after only a short time, I got very tired of it, I realized that it ONLY seemed to exist for the nostalgia effect, since none of the cards are really worth anything, I'd be lucky to even get $10 for my FA Dragonite EX or FA M-Blastoise EX, and then you compare that to Sun & Moon that has valuable cards up the wazoo.

Then you have the "secret rares" which actually turned out to be painfully common, EVERYBODY was pulling Imakuni's Doduo and the Flying and Surfing Pikachu, if they're going to make super rares, it would be nice if they were actually slightly tricky to get, so that they're worth more than 25c each...

They tried to improve the attacks/abilities of the cards, but failed, since almost none of them are usable in the slightest.

So what do you get when you have a set full of non-usable and non-valuable cards? The answer is - utter disappointment.