Discussion Most Dissapointing TCG Set

Fossil for sure. Fossil is the smallest main expansion set with 62 cards (Jungle had 64). While Jungle had only one Trainer (Poke Ball), it wasn't a complete waste. There were cards like Scyther (top tier as hell), Clefable, Mr. Mime and Wigglytuff. Clefable could use one of your opponent's attacks for one Energy, but it had a pre-evolution in another set. Mr. Mime is frustrating as hell if you don't have things like Goop Gas Attack, FO Muk or status on your side.
What if I told you that every card in Fossil absolutely sucks?
Great answer and a unique opinon on a vastly loved set? Might I ask about more members, what about the legendary birds, Magneton and Raichu in comparison to their Base set originals, Hypno, Gengar and Dragonite in comparson to the meta that you tactically described so elegently?
Also in the Japanese Version there was Mew, that was reprinted of course twice (that happened also Jungle, Fossil, Rocket and Neo Discovery bar Umbre and Esp) into holofoil and non holo formats (except non holofoil Mew is an English exclusive) as a promo. I think it should had stayed in the set at the time but I don't think it did due to Fossil released out before the First Movie.

I was playing around this time.

Fossil was an incredibly weak set that felt more like 'filler' than anything else. We all knew what Pokémon still needed to be made and the set was absolutely underwhelming. I never saw the Fossil Raichu or Magneton outside of a binder. NO ONE wanted to use them. Locals or anyone online at the time. The bits got some use, but not a whole lot. Moltres was used very briefly in stall builds to deck an opponent out faster. Articuno got thrown into Rain Dance.

The cards that got the most use out of Fossil was Aerodactyl, Muk, and Ditto.

Sorry I'm reading as I go. I was about to delete my message once this conversation took a detailed turn since I had impatiently wrote that hence why I haven't deleted it yhet. ;)

Evolutions. The set did almost nothing for the Meta, the remakes of old cards honestly disappointed me with the exception of Ninetales, and as a general, it was sadly disappointing for me. Heck, even looking at old favorites like Hitmonchan didn't make me too happy. I really feel like they could have done much more with it.

-Asmer

I was playing around this time.

Fossil was an incredibly weak set that felt more like 'filler' than anything else. We all knew what Pokémon still needed to be made and the set was absolutely underwhelming. I never saw the Fossil Raichu or Magneton outside of a binder. NO ONE wanted to use them. Locals or anyone online at the time. The bits got some use, but not a whole lot. Moltres was used very briefly in stall builds to deck an opponent out faster. Articuno got thrown into Rain Dance.

The cards that got the most use out of Fossil was Aerodactyl, Muk, and Ditto.

II gave a detailed analysis of Fossil earlier this thread. The Short version is that the set wasn't very good, but that describes most sets. Not just old sets, not just new sets, but once you learn to view new and old metagames with a critical eye, you realize that what you once thought was balanced and wide open? I've had to take a hard look at the formats I celebrated as being that way for years, and I finally realized it was still like the top 10-20% of the card pool making up the competitive metagame.

Doesn't help that Base Set, when it wasn't filler, was basically broken. XD

Can I cheat and say my biggest disappointment is the lack of a Team Flare set. The missed potential and the gorgeous red borders now limited to 2 trainer cards in the rotating block just makes me sad.

Can I cheat and say my biggest disappointment is the lack of a Team Flare set. The missed potential and the gorgeous red borders now limited to 2 trainer cards in the rotating block just makes me sad.
I agree with this.

With how much attention Team Plasma got (and still gets to this day, for some reason), I was hoping we would've seen a similar series of Team Flare cards like the three Plasma sets had. :/

TPC ignored a lot of Gen 6's characters and stories in general. I still can't believe we never saw a Zinnia card.

-Furious Fists was a big faliure and only Mega Lucario was a hit while Mega Herracross was "Left Behind" without Mega Pinsir and Mega Scizor
-Phantom Forces finally brought full arts and spirit links! but it did not print full arts for Agieslash wich I HATE!!!

Do not diss the Diance ;). Seriously it is a good card and has a place in my post rotation fairy deck but it still seems a bit out of place for the set.
We actually don't have that many holes but you are right we're missing some Pokémon. Mega Abomansow, Mega Medicham, Mega Sableye, Mega Banette, Mega Latias, Mega Lopunny, Mega Pinsir, Mega Sharpedo and Mega Camerupt. These last two really bother me since they had new EX's in Primal Clash though I understand that was already a big set. To make matters worse though they could have made their megas secret rares in the Aqua/Magma set and dropped the ball on that one.

I 'miss' when Nintendo Of America had power to make English exclusive counterpart cards to later have to make the Japanese versions (e.g. Reshiram & Zekrom EX Full Arts #95/#97/103 from Next Destinies or Dark Raichu from Team Rocket #83/82 that wasn't used until Neo 2 - Crossing The Ruins... another 4 sets afterwards). However as a reminder for recent times this sentence can seem contradictory, since that all of the Full Art Mythical Collection XY Promos and the XYZ EX trio #022/#037/#038/036 were very much appreciated to debut as English exclusives. My point is taken upon the ideas that are taken from both of you, I find it irritatingly aesthetically (sometimes lazily) unbalanced how English cards decide to conglomerate together Japanese promos and deck cards irrelevent to the set's theme without having initiave about the aesthetic layout equality of the sets format to make new cards remniscent to the addendums (e.g. EX and Trainer cards without Full Art equivalents due to this reason and vice versa). I wanted a Full Art Aegidashi Tofu EX so much...

So for anyone not wanting the detailed explanation I realize I just spent a few hours typing (hey, gotta justify my screen name somehow)
Judging by that I think your icon should be changed for an Oranguru :p. I must admit I really would like that Alakazam (unsurprisingly) and Jirachi awards that you have. I wonder if you have to be perfect for every comment, having to make each one be brimmed with detail, logic and reason in order to get it or if its at least for a high correlation of comments. Lastly thank you also for making me learn alot about the TCG in this discussion. Fossil and Jungle was nowhere near in my guesswork for me to expect to see it on here!

Speaking of Generation 1, I used to think Evolutions was run of the mill to mediocre. However controversially I have had much fun opening packs, happening to be 50/50 on the luck side of things compared to other sets just which was reasonably bad luck. This is probably due to the fact of this set including more rares and a nice return to the Mirror Reverse Holofoil style as well as seeing old cards get the Reverse treatment that wern't included in Legendary Collection including multicolour Cheekachu, Raichu, Mew, Pinklefairy, Gastly, Haunter & Drowzee. I'm still scorned that about the Dratini, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Abra lines exclusion when as far as I know Uri Geller lost the lawsuit. If I could do anything about that matter, change Yungerer to my name or Aleister Crowley's then I swear I will...

Last edited:
I 'miss' when Nintendo Of America had power to make English exclusive counterpart cards to later have to make the Japanese versions (e.g. Reshiram & Zekrom EX Full Arts #95/#97/103 from Next Destinies or Dark Raichu from Team Rocket #83/82 that wasn't used until Neo 2 - Crossing The Ruins... another 4 sets afterwards). However as a reminder for recent times this sentence can seem contradictory, since that all of the Full Art Mythical Collection XY Promos and the XYZ EX trio #022/#037/#038/036 were very much appreciated to debut as English exclusives. My point is taken upon the ideas that are taken from both of you, I find it irritatingly aesthetically (sometimes lazily) unbalanced how English cards decide to conglomerate together Japanese promos and deck cards irrelevent to the set's theme without having initiave about the aesthetic layout equality of the sets format to make new cards remniscent to the addendums (e.g. EX and Trainer cards without Full Art equivalents due to this reason and vice versa). I wanted a Full Art Aegidashi Tofu EX so much...

Okay, hold on one second. I don't know anything about the Reshiram/Zekrom EX full arts. But Nintendo of America had nothing to do with Dark Raichu, that was done by Wizards of the Coast not Nintendo and took a lot to make it happen, it was in fact why Team Rocket was held back the way it was, so that they could include Dark Raichu in the set. Yes the Mythical stuff debuted as English first and then turned Japanese, but there are so many cards Japan gets that we have NEVER gotten and likely never will.

Some of the imbalance is not on America's part but Japan's. Not having an Aegislash EX full art for example started with Japan. Same with Vaporeon EX, Jolteon EX, and Leafeon EX as other examples.

I've never heard of Aegidashi Tofu EX, what the heck is that?

TPC ignored a lot of Gen 6's characters and stories in general. I still can't believe we never saw a Zinnia card.

Due to the 20th anniversary thing TPCi rushed a Gen1 celebration into the release of Merchandise and totally ignored Gen 6 and didn't gave it a proper Goodbye. I missed so many things...
- A Team Flare Set
- Focus on the Gym Leaders
- Lack of Mega Pokemon
- A Zygarde set
- Pokemon Z

Even Gen 3 got relatively more attention than Gen 6
(ORAS, Primal Clash, Roaring Skies, Double Crisis, and more)

• XY: Base set was 50/50. It was an introduction of Gen 6, but also a tribute to Gen 1 with mega Venusaur and Mega Blastoise. However, it was the best attempt of honouring Gen 6.
  • Flashfire was one big tribute to Charizard and didn't focus on a Gen 6 pokemon. The other main Pokemon was Kangaskhan. Also Gen 1.
  • Furious First was a tribute to a general favorite Lucario (gen 4). But still no Gen 6 EX card or main Pokemon.
  • Phantom Forces got M Gengar and M Manectric (again gen 3). Finally they gave Gen6 a little attention in the form of Flores Ex and Malamar Ex. Oh and let's squeeze Team Flares in all it glory also in this set, so we can forget all about Gen 6 for the coming sets. Although Gen6 got more attention, it wasn't their best attempt. It was hasty and minimal. If you give team Flare so little attention, you really do something wrong.
  • Primal Clash: Gen6? What is that? The focus shifts totally to Gen 3.
  • Roaring Skies: again a Gen3 set - focus on soaring (Latios) and M Rayquaza --> features of ORAS
  • Ancient Origins Oh crap, we forgot about Hoopa. Let make a tiny set and forget the whole thing.
  • BreakThrough: Let's start all over again. We (TPCi) lost control and need to focus again. We (TPCi) will introduce a new mechanic and make Pokemon great again).
  • BreakPoint: Nah, Gen 6 still sucks. Let's go back to black and white - Skyla, Garbodor, come back!!
  • Generations Oh no! We still love Gen1 too much! Let's give this set a full year of attention, and make it the worst set ever!
  • Fates Collide: Again a Gen 1 Mascot and let's lose the Break part in the name, because we lack creativity. We want something a bit more original... (ehm... even I lack creativity in the comments).
  • Steam Siege: At this point it was already clear that the 6th Gen was coming to an end. Volcanion was rushed into this set and got a movie. For a moment we thought that we finally got our dual types back, but this was already discontinued with evolutions / Sun & Moon.
  • Evolutions: And what is the best way to end the 6th generation, the XY era? Well, but a full reprint set of Generation 1 Pokemon. Oh wow!
Well. You see. It went wrong from the beginning. And, although I love Gen 6th. I see major flaws in the TCG and the Games. I seriously hope that Gen6 will get a proper set in the SM era. But I think no, since al the Alolan Pokemon are Gen1. What's up with that?

Due to the 20th anniversary thing TPCi rushed a Gen1 celebration into the release of Merchandise and totally ignored Gen 6 and didn't gave it a proper Goodbye. I missed so many things...
- A Team Flare Set
- Lack of Mega Pokemon
- A Zygarde set
- Pokemon Z

I do agree with you, however I think the whole purpose of Gen 6 was focused on avoiding gen 5 (everything new) and giving more attention to old Pokemon, mostly gen 1, to make them seen again instead of just throwing a whole bunch of new ones in. That's why they did Mega evolutions, So when you state that many of these Gen 6 sets focus mainly on old Pokemon that's not entirely true. They focus on there Mega forms, which technichally are Gen 6 features.

Still, I get your point. Gen 6 felt a bit rushed as far as the new Pokemon that were introduced. I think they always had the upcoming anniversary in mind when making the concept of gen 6.

Base set 2 was really unnecessary, Breakthrough has lots of useless cards (except for mewtwo) and Breakpoint has the f***ing garbodor, that makes the game boring.

I wonder if you have to be perfect for every comment, having to make each one be brimmed with detail, logic and reason in order to get it or if its at least for a high correlation of comments. Lastly thank you also for making me learn alot about the TCG in this discussion. Fossil and Jungle was nowhere near in my guesswork for me to expect to see it on here!

You're welcome. You don't have to be perfect but just make consistently good comments. As for the badge, you don't have to be perfect, otherwise I wouldn't have it. Unless they've been meaning to take it away but keep forgetting. ^^'

I don't think Gen 1 was pandered all that hard though. It was basically more "Charizard, Pikachu and Mewtwo" in your face with I guess the "other two" starter Pokemon that got caught in Charizard's invite. Like Gen 1 "pandering" was just those five Pokemon, unless I'm missing something and the whole gen got Charizard level attention. After all, Charizard was the only Pokemon stage 2 starter in Evolutions.

I just want my Latias EX but I stand by Roaring Skies being dissapointing.

- A Team Flare Set
- Lack of Mega Pokemon
- A Zygarde set
- Pokemon Z

Half agree and half disagree here. I am glad we didn't get a Team Flare set. I hated Team Rocket, I hated Aqua/Magma/Double Crisis, I hated Plasma. Maybe that's just me but I don't want to 'train' their Pokémon I want to 'train' my Pokémon.
Gym leaders are somewhat the same way but it would have been okay with me, but it's not the first time. We haven't had a proper gym set since Gym Heroes/Challenges. Only Fourth gen made any other attempt at it and it wasn't as good as far as I'm concerned.
I kind of get Megas but I think the way they handled it was wrong. I mean as EX's it was expensive to get a hold of many of them, it probably wouldn't have been as bad if they had been regular evolutions but it might not have been as playable since it's all based on getting out strong and powerful Pokémon ASAP it seems.
A Zygarde set would have been nice, like we've had some Pokémon in the past. I doubt we'll see this made up in gen 6.
I'm eager to see if the lack of a third part to the generation games will make a trend or if gen 5 is exception to the rule.

Okay, hold on one second. I don't know anything about the Reshiram/Zekrom EX full arts.

The Tao trio dragon Full Arts were originally from February 2012's Next Destinies (95 & 97/99) that were exlusively new added extras from there Japanese counterpart sets Psycho Drive and Hail Blizzard whom were out way before in September 2011. At the time Kyurem was the only one already published before in Japanese. Reshiram and Zekrom did not get their big in Japan breakthrough (158 & 159/BW-P) until their later release in August 2012 originating from the Premium Packs. It was extremely refreshing for me knowing that the English side of Pokémon could still have initiave to be creative and not always copy, collect together and paste everything that Japanese sets would publish.
But Nintendo of America had nothing to do with Dark Raichu, that was done by Wizards of the Coast not Nintendo and took a lot to make it happen, it was in fact why Team Rocket was held back the way it was, so that they could include Dark Raichu in the set. Yes the Mythical stuff debuted as English first and then turned Japanese, but there are so many cards Japan gets that we have NEVER gotten and likely never will.

Some of the imbalance is not on America's part but Japan's. Not having an Aegislash EX full art for example started with Japan. Same with Vaporeon EX, Jolteon EX, and Leafeon EX as other examples.
OH of course it was Wizards and not Nintendo Of America, bad mistake for me to make! I was thinking them at first because I thought this matter would had been a decision in their control and not Wizards since I believed they only would translate and publish what would be decided from another party. I heard about the Dark Raichu story to some extent a while back, not sure how it completely went or if it was to do with Mitsuhiro Arita or not. Could you please elaborate or link me anything about this story?

Of course the outbalance on Japan is obvious. There are so many cards that I wished took the turn to the West including the Vending Series, Masaki Mail-in's, Coro-Coro's, CD & GB (I pray that the sequel game can still hit our shores via DS along with the cards that had printed scans but never made it into physical form, the Garura Parent/Child Tournament Kangaskhan (my Holy Grail desire card fyi), the Tamamushi University "Hyper Test" Magikarp, Best Photo Contest, the Tropical Mega Battle Legendary birds, McDonald's, Happy Adventure Rally, T series, the VS era, Movie Event Commerations, Super Rare Card Set Get! campaign Rayquaza & Giratina EX'es, Art Academy XY-P Sableye and Gourgeist, Mario/Luigi Pikachu Collaboration and lastly but not least the brand new full art Team Rocket Case XY-P promo cards. Obviously most of these examples are from the beginning of Pokémon since it shows that there is thankfully a much more increased sync of dual language releases by individual promo cards these current generations.

Japan releases whatever they would want to make relatable to both metagame and collector interests, however its the lacking of English initiave to fill in blanks of missing addendum Promo's/ Full Arts noticed in conglomerating sets (e.g. 1 English set comprised of 2 Japanese booster boxes, decks and random inserted promos relevant) to order to sustain any fulfillment flow of a set's even completion that I feel a more averse, empty effect upon. There is much more oppertunity on their side to increase collectability then Japans to make profit and its a shame that if there were ever extension plans they never became finalised. Luckily compared to then, the difference in the gap synergy of translated cards over our shores now has decreased. Sorry if I'm being excessive but I must admit it was fun pointing out this unique distinction over it's history hence why I'm repling to you late-ish, that and this is the third attempt I'm at having to make this message haha.
I've never heard of Aegidashi Tofu EX, what the heck is that?
I made a joke assuming some people here would be familiar with Japanese cuisine... :p

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
The Tao trio dragon Full Arts were originally from February 2012's Next Destinies (95 & 97/99) that were exlusively new added extras from there Japanese counterpart sets Psycho Drive and Hail Blizzard whom were out way before in September 2011. At the time Kyurem was the only one already published before in Japanese. Reshiram and Zekrom did not get their big in Japan breakthrough (158 & 159/BW-P) until their later release in August 2012 originating from the Premium Packs. It was extremely refreshing for me knowing that the English side of Pokémon could still have initiave to be creative and not always copy, collect together and paste everything that Japanese sets would publish.

Ah I did not know that. Or maybe I did and forgot about it, either way the refresher is good lol.

OH of course it was Wizards and not Nintendo Of America, bad mistake for me to make! I was thinking them at first because I thought this matter would had been a decision in their control and not Wizards since I believed they only would translate and publish what would be decided from another party. I heard about the Dark Raichu story to some extent a while back, not sure how it completely went or if it was to do with Mitsuhiro Arita or not. Could you please elaborate or link me anything about this story?

You can find this by going to bulbapedia and looking up the Team Rocket expansion. Basically though Wizards created this card on their own and it took them six months to get Nintendo to approve it, Nintendo was holding out on it and had been pretty much against Wizards creating their own cards and Wizards couldn't or wouldn't release Team Rocket without Dark Raichu.

Of course the outbalance on Japan is obvious. There are so many cards that I wished took the turn to the West including the Vending Series, Masaki Mail-in's, Coro-Coro's, CD & GB (I pray that the sequel game can still hit our shores via DS along with the cards that had printed scans but never made it into physical form, the Garura Parent/Child Tournament Kangaskhan (my Holy Grail desire card fyi), the Tamamushi University "Hyper Test" Magikarp, Best Photo Contest, the Tropical Mega Battle Legendary birds, McDonald's, Happy Adventure Rally, T series, the VS era, Movie Event Commerations, Super Rare Card Set Get! campaign Rayquaza & Giratina EX'es, Art Academy XY-P Sableye and Gourgeist, Mario/Luigi Pikachu Collaboration and lastly but not least the brand new full art Team Rocket Case XY-P promo cards. Obviously most of these examples are from the beginning of Pokémon since it shows that there is thankfully a much more increased sync of dual language releases by individual promo cards these current generations.

Yeah I kept waiting for some of this stuff to come out too earlier, like VS cards and the vending machine cards. As far as the latter goes there was a set called I believe Jamboree that was planned by Wizards that would have at that time likely caught American and Eurpoean players up with Japan as well as released more exclusive cards but this set was blocked by Nintendo. Again this can be found on bulbapedia Some of this stuff could still be released, I mean who doesn't know who Mario and Luigi are after all. I actually do have some of these Japanese cards but not all and I do wish they had been released in English.

I made a joke assuming some people here would be familiar with Japanese cuisine... :p

Your mistake :p :rolleyes: lol.

My least favorite would have to be Roaring Skies. That set introduced Mega Ray (colorless), Shaymin, and a VS Seeker reprint:

Yay cards I "need" but can't afford!

EDIT: I would argue that Evolutions is a great set, but this is from a biased Gardevoir player :p

Back