Discussion Most Dissapointing TCG Set

While others had promising spoilers, but weren't as fun in actual gameplay. The latter was the problem with Primal Clash and Breakthrough.

This is how I feel about Fates Collide.

I was quite excited when I saw the spoilers but soon realised, after release, that there's only a handful of decent cards in there. It was also really disappointing not to see a new Fossil mechanic.

From what Ive seen though the GX set may be the most disappointing. The full arts look terrible and since thats what got me interested in the collecting the cards again that may be Rip.

At this point I can ignore the design of the card if t still has the textured ridges.

I'm going to go with Evolutions. For as much as TPC was hyping it up as the "20th anniversary of everything Pokémon" they spent an annoying amount of time focussing on gen 1. Yeah, I get that that's the actual gen turning 20, but do you think they'll even mention it when another generation turns 20? If they do, I'll be shocked. I don't like gen 1 all that much. The games are fun, but most of the Pokémon are bland or unmemorable, or I actually dislike some of them (Like Charizard, Tauros, and Magmar), so I would be skeptical of an entire set full of them. Then the set reveals itself and not only is a majority of the set borderline unplayable, there is no Venusaur or Blastoise line, there's a ton of incomplete evolution lines, and there's 7 Charizard cards. Oh, how I hate Charizard...
You spoke da truth. Have a cookie: (there was supposed to be a cookie emoji here)

Last edited:
For me, XY Roaring Skies was. I expected the set to have EX bird Pokemon in it and there weren't any. All we got was another dragon support set. I was expecting something and never got it, considering all the other sets were based on certain types of Pokemon. We also got no colorless support cards in the set. I always felt Pidgeot EX should have been dropped in that set and Talonflame EX should have been in Hydragon EX's slot. Staraptor EX should have been there as well.

If just felt like the set did nothing right.
Nothing right? Dragon support set? Have you even looked at the set list the dragon support is non existent all of the dragon Pokemon are trash even Mega Ray see little to no play because the cost is too high + discard. No colourless support? You got Winona for searching 3 colourless pokes you got altaria for negation of weakness and then you have rayquaza ex and mega ray arguable the best deck for the next format and a deck that on release was broken to all hell with lysandre's trump card additionally you got the best draw support card in the format (in my opinion) in Shaymin EX as well as Trainer's mail which makes all decks better and more consistent. Do I even have to mention sky field just to make mega ray even more OP

Nothing right?

Well, nothing was a stretch but in a set called Roaring Skies, I was expecting bird EX Pokemon.

Dragon support set?

The amount of Colorless support is lacking when compared to the Dragon support. We have Altaria (which is a VERY good card) but gets shut down completely by Zap Zone Zebstrika, making it useless and Winona, which is pretty much only good to get a turn 1 Altaria and Hoopa being a much better option to getting pokemon down since it doesn't use you supporter. Winona is still good though.

Have you even looked at the set list the dragon support is non existent all of the dragon Pokemon are trash even Mega Ray see little to no play because the cost is too high + discard.

Well, the Dragon type mega Rayquaza got a buff. 300 damage a turn is nice. With that, we got Reshiram, Double Dragon Energy, Hydreigon EX. The dragon types in the set in general are very strong. None of the non dragon colorless Pokemon are playable and are just filler.

No colourless support? You got Winona for searching 3 colourless pokes you got altaria for negation of weakness

Well, thats what 2 cards in a set that should have been made for colorless Pokemon AND none of them are playable because of better options. Imagine if Talonflame EX was in the slot of Hydreigon EX with the ability that gave colorless Pokemon -2 retreat cost. Imagine if one of the mega ray EX were mega Pidgeot EX who would have been a much better Pokemon to drop in a set themed for flying types or if the Reshiram served as a way to energy accelerate energy for the colorless type. What if DDE was a energy for the colorless type, like all theme sets before it and after it? What if Sky Field only worked for the colorless type? It would balance decks now for sure!

and then you have rayquaza ex and mega ray arguable the best deck for the next format

Rayquaza is still a dragon and not a Pokemon people really look at as a flying type rep. It just has a card of both typing, like Charizard EX.

and a deck that on release was broken to all hell with lysandre's trump card additionally you got the best draw support card in the format (in my opinion) in Shaymin EX as well as Trainer's mail which makes all decks better and more consistent. Do I even have to mention sky field just to make mega ray even more OP

Shaymin EX and Trainers' Mail aren't colorless support cards. Neither is Sky Field. Yes a colorless Pokemon can use it, but so can the Electric, Fairy, Darkness and some other type I can't think of. This is why I was disappointing in this set. I expected birds and other flying Pokemon but all we got were dragons. A bird EX Pokemon would have been really nice to have in this set.

Well, nothing was a stretch but in a set called Roaring Skies, I was expecting bird EX Pokemon.

I get what you're saying, but since we are discussing it... "Roaring Skies" sounds more like a Dragon than a bird thing to me. I mean, not a lot of roaring birds in my experience. I think the set was pretty well split between Dragon and Colorless Types, myself... or at least was intended to be. If there is something to be disappointed in I would say it was how we got Double Dragon Energy for Dragons and Winona for Colorless Pokémon, but no Dragon Supporter or Colorless Pokémon exclusive Special Energy.

Oh, and since I think Shaymin-EX is ultimately bad for the game, yeah that disappointed me.

I've only started playing/collecting back when last rotation hit, so my picks are rather limited, but Fates Collide is the set for me at this point. I should not pull the same Rare three times in a row twice when I grab 6 random packs from a freshly opened box at my locals....

I get what you're saying, but since we are discussing it... "Roaring Skies" sounds more like a Dragon than a bird thing to me. I mean, not a lot of roaring birds in my experience. I think the set was pretty well split between Dragon and Colorless Types, myself... or at least was intended to be. If there is something to be disappointed in I would say it was how we got Double Dragon Energy for Dragons and Winona for Colorless Pokémon, but no Dragon Supporter or Colorless Pokémon exclusive Special Energy.

Oh, and since I think Shaymin-EX is ultimately bad for the game, yeah that disappointed me.

That could be what they were going for but it was a flying type theme set so I was expecting a few bird EX Pokemon. They can do do it better for sure.

The amount of Colorless support is lacking when compared to the Dragon support. We have Altaria (which is a VERY good card) but gets shut down completely by Zap Zone Zebstrika, making it useless and Winona, which is pretty much only good to get a turn 1 Altaria and Hoopa being a much better option to getting pokemon down since it doesn't use you supporter. Winona is still good though.

Well, the Dragon type mega Rayquaza got a buff. 300 damage a turn is nice. With that, we got Reshiram, Double Dragon Energy, Hydreigon EX. The dragon types in the set in general are very strong. None of the non dragon colorless Pokemon are playable and are just filler.

Well, thats what 2 cards in a set that should have been made for colorless Pokemon AND none of them are playable because of better options. Imagine if Talonflame EX was in the slot of Hydreigon EX with the ability that gave colorless Pokemon -2 retreat cost. Imagine if one of the mega ray EX were mega Pidgeot EX who would have been a much better Pokemon to drop in a set themed for flying types or if the Reshiram served as a way to energy accelerate energy for the colorless type. What if DDE was a energy for the colorless type, like all theme sets before it and after it? What if Sky Field only worked for the colorless type? It would balance decks now for sure!

Rayquaza is still a dragon and not a Pokemon people really look at as a flying type rep. It just has a card of both typing, like Charizard EX.

Shaymin EX and Trainers' Mail aren't colorless support cards. Neither is Sky Field. Yes a colorless Pokemon can use it, but so can the Electric, Fairy, Darkness and some other type I can't think of. This is why I was disappointing in this set. I expected birds and other flying Pokemon but all we got were dragons. A bird EX Pokemon would have been really nice to have in this set.
The rayquaza im talking about is the colourless one with emerald break the dragon one hasnt seen any major play neither has any of the dragon support because its not viable its too slow and clunky compared to the support colourless got.

The rayquaza im talking about is the colourless one with emerald break the dragon one hasnt seen any major play neither has any of the dragon support because its not viable its too slow and clunky compared to the support colourless got.

Thats the one I'm talking about. Rayquaza is still a dragon. Doesn't matter what type they make it for the TCG.

Thats the one I'm talking about. Rayquaza is still a dragon. Doesn't matter what type they make it for the TCG.

*checks Rayquaza's Type in video games*

Yup: Dragon/Flying. ;) I mean there are dragons which do not fly... not just in Pokémon but in myth, and some traditions handle the term much more loosely than in western culture. I think I get what you mean, but that just means you need to join my Taxonomy In Pokémon Stinks Club*. C'mon everyone: ask for TIPS. ;)

*Kind of out of it right now, but if not clear... this isn't a real club. =P The way Types work in Pokémon is either over or under complicated and needs serious refinement, but by now we ain't getting it as even small changes are a big deal thanks to it applying to over 700 (probably soon to be over 800 or maybe even 900) Pokémon.

*checks Rayquaza's Type in video games*

Yup: Dragon/Flying. ;) I mean there are dragons which do not fly... not just in Pokémon but in myth, and some traditions handle the term much more loosely than in western culture. I think I get what you mean, but that just means you need to join my Taxonomy In Pokémon Stinks Club*. C'mon everyone: ask for TIPS. ;)

*Kind of out of it right now, but if not clear... this isn't a real club. =P The way Types work in Pokémon is either over or under complicated and needs serious refinement, but by now we ain't getting it as even small changes are a big deal thanks to it applying to over 700 (probably soon to be over 800 or maybe even 900) Pokémon.

Yeah, Ray is part flying but no one looks at Rayquaza and say thats a cool flying type. Not that this is much of a thing but Mewtwo is also a 'flying' Pokemon. Its part of the reason I wanted bird to be its own type because many bird Pokemon don't fly and it separates them from things like Gyarados. When it comes to things like Pidgeot, Staraptor, Noctowl and other bird Pokemon, people see them as flying types. So while Rayquaza has a colorless card, its still a dragon Pokemon though I have to ask what do you mean by type refinement.

Triple Colorless Energy?

Triple Colorless Energy?

That sounds mildly broken. Turn 1 M Ray, almost guaranteed? No way.

This is why RSK is fine the way it is. Colorless types don't need any more support. They already benefit from being completely splashable in any deck, due to their color-neutral Energy requirements. Why should they get type-specific support, on top of that? At least TPCI recognizes Colorless as a type, unlike WotC.

Back on topic, Arceus was quite the letdown, considering the playability of the preceding three sets. Platinum gave us both the core of every SP deck, in Crobat G, Poke Turn, Energy Gain, and Power Spray; the card that made evolutions viable in the SP era, Broken Time-Space; the only fossil line to be competitively viable since Cradily ex, the Rampardos line; and it even gave us a new family of donk decks (and non-donk decks), based around Skuntank G, featuring either Toxicroak G, Muk, or Mightyena (Toxitank being the most popular). Rising Rivals gave us the best card in the format, Luxray GL Lv. X, and it saw use in decks of all varieties, alongside both SPs, in Dialga G and Infernape GL, as well as non-SPs, with Beedrill; as well as the fourth Trainer in the SP Engine, SP Radar. And in case anyone thinks SPs were broken, Speedrill was probably the BDIF during that period, since it was fast enough to beat even the decks built around Basics. Supreme Victors added more firepower to the SP arsenal with Garchomp C and Blaziken FB, alongside some decent non-SPs, like Primeape and Garchomp. In comparison to those, what did Arceus give us? The ultra-gimmicky Arceus deck, which was built around hitting for weakness with extremely weak attacks, failed to catch on, due to complicated Energy lines and a lack of raw burst damage. Charizard went unused at the time, but saw some use beyond that with Typhlosion Prime and Ninetales. Those were the only two actual archetypes to emerge from the set, with Porygon-Z G seeing minor use as a tech, and Expert Belt probably making the biggest splash, essentially allowing you to turn anything into an ex. If the only card to see serious competitive success from a set was a Tool, I'd say the set was lacking in pretty much every other way.

~SS

That sounds mildly broken. Turn 1 M Ray, almost guaranteed? No way.

This is why RSK is fine the way it is. Colorless types don't need any more support. They already benefit from being completely splashable in any deck, due to their color-neutral Energy requirements. Why should they get type-specific support, on top of that? At least TPCI recognizes Colorless as a type, unlike WotC.

Back on topic, Arceus was quite the letdown, considering the playability of the preceding three sets. Platinum gave us both the core of every SP deck, in Crobat G, Poke Turn, Energy Gain, and Power Spray; the card that made evolutions viable in the SP era, Broken Time-Space; the only fossil line to be competitively viable since Cradily ex, the Rampardos line; and it even gave us a new family of donk decks (and non-donk decks), based around Skuntank G, featuring either Toxicroak G, Muk, or Mightyena (Toxitank being the most popular). Rising Rivals gave us the best card in the format, Luxray GL Lv. X, and it saw use in decks of all varieties, alongside both SPs, in Dialga G and Infernape GL, as well as non-SPs, with Beedrill; as well as the fourth Trainer in the SP Engine, SP Radar. And in case anyone thinks SPs were broken, Speedrill was probably the BDIF during that period, since it was fast enough to beat even the decks built around Basics. Supreme Victors added more firepower to the SP arsenal with Garchomp C and Blaziken FB, alongside some decent non-SPs, like Primeape and Garchomp. In comparison to those, what did Arceus give us? The ultra-gimmicky Arceus deck, which was built around hitting for weakness with extremely weak attacks, failed to catch on, due to complicated Energy lines and a lack of raw burst damage. Charizard went unused at the time, but saw some use beyond that with Typhlosion Prime and Ninetales. Those were the only two actual archetypes to emerge from the set, with Porygon-Z G seeing minor use as a tech, and Expert Belt probably making the biggest splash, essentially allowing you to turn anything into an ex. If the only card to see serious competitive success from a set was a Tool, I'd say the set was lacking in pretty much every other way.

~SS
That comment I made earlier was entirely sarcastic. I wanted to point out their really isn't much you can do with Colorless, maybe a Heal Energy, but I do love colorless types. Favorite Pokemon in the TCG.

I've gotta say Fates Collide for me personally. I've just had the worst luck in my pack openings and the cards within the set aren't really much to go home and brag about either. I haven't busted enough of Steam Siege to have an opinion but I heard pull rates were even worse.

I dont know, maybe evolutions. I mean, seriously, how many charizards can you fit in 1 set! also, other than mega pidgeot or maybe mega slowbro, there aren't any cool cards that i would like to collect form this set.

I dont know, maybe evolutions. I mean, seriously, how many charizards can you fit in 1 set! also, other than mega pidgeot or maybe mega slowbro, there aren't any cool cards that i would like to collect form this set.

I have bias for Evolutions because of Pidgeot EX and the Zapdos reprint but out side of those cards, I do have to agree. This set is mainly a Charizard throwback set, once again. I would have loved to have Energy Trans Venusaur and I guess Rain Dance Blastoise. It would also be nice to get a way to discard tool cards as well.

I have bias for Evolutions because of Pidgeot EX and the Zapdos reprint but out side of those cards, I do have to agree. This set is mainly a Charizard throwback set, once again. I would have loved to have Energy Trans Venusaur and I guess Rain Dance Blastoise. It would also be nice to get a way to discard tool cards as well.
Hey, you have Rattata, which doesn't actually work the way it should be since it relies on an ability and overly complicates a simple card!

Back