(MORE INPUT NEEDED see post 126) - Does Pokemon Need to go Back to Basics?

RE: Does Pokémon Need to go Back to Basics?

Release the spoilers. That way we can all let you know what we think should be changed or tweaked. Plus, those that are interested could test with them a bit and let you know about our results.

Okay. We're taking this very slowly. It will probably be a couple weeks before we have the set finalized, at the earliest. So if anybody else has an opinion, now is a good time to say so.

If we opt not to release the spoilers, is anybody interested in helping to test out the cards beforehand? You get an early look at everything we're making, and it would hopefully be a lot of fun. Let me know what your top accomplishments in the TCG are if you're interested.

What kind of medium would you be testing these cards on? PlayTCG? Skype? Some other form of video chat?

Gah, I would love to test the cards beforehand. but I play almost completely online and as such have little to no top accomplishments worth listing. :l I'll look forward when its released to a greater amount of the public if that's the case.

We'd most likely use PlayTCG with proxies (if there's a Ludicolo in the set, you use Ludicolo from AR or whatever set it was as the proxy). If that proves to be too cumbersome, we could use Skype or Redshark since that has a better way to proxy.

I think it would be fun if we had a special group of testers, and then hid attributes of them inside the cards as little "thank yous". :)

So, we would have a ban list in addition to new cards, correct? Personally, I think it would be a good idea to limit some cards that are only OP in large numbers (for example, draw trainers) in addition to banning the completely broken ones.

Cinema said:
Take Emboar: It's ability allows you to attach as many fire energies as you want per turn. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what would go well with that. Obviously you're going to play it with powerful fire pokemon.

Or Forretress LA. :p

I also think the design as a whole and the artwork is lacking these days I tend to collect more so than play so I like a card with good artwork but they are lacking these days I do agree though with what you are saying

So, we would have a ban list in addition to new cards, correct? Personally, I think it would be a good idea to limit some cards that are only OP in large numbers (for example, draw trainers) in addition to banning the completely broken ones.
It would be sort of like the Palace Format then, right? They have an effective limited/banned list in addition to DP being the oldest legal set. A very interesting idea.

sillykyle said:

Or Forretress LA. :p
We're talking about re-creating the game from the ground up. We're not taking into account the current format or any cards that have ever existed up to this point. We're basically creating our own Base Set.

If anybody has any particularly well-designed cards, feel free to post them here or whatever. Or if they're buried in Fake Creations somewhere, you can just give me the link. Keep in mind that the power level is the same as it was in the ex sets, so 120HP cap, etc.

I would be interested in testing, if possible. Should I pm you about it?

Would we be using the Dragon type? Would we even be using the Dark and Steel types? Personaly, I would like it if we used all of the already released types, and a poison type. I've been gunning for a poison type for a long time now. Mostly because poison and psychic make no sense lumped together.

I'd also be happy to help test the set. I've been playing for 12 years, so I like to think I know pretty well what a healthy metagame is.

I would so volunteer my time to make a couple of fake-cards art wise

pokemonjoe said:
I would be interested in testing, if possible. Should I pm you about it?
Yeah, those interested in helping to test should PM me their top accomplishments in the real TCG.
dirupti said:
Would we be using the Dragon type? Would we even be using the Dark and Steel types? Personaly, I would like it if we used all of the already released types, and a poison type. I've been gunning for a poison type for a long time now. Mostly because poison and psychic make no sense lumped together.

I'd also be happy to help test the set. I've been playing for 12 years, so I like to think I know pretty well what a healthy metagame is.
Yeah, we are using the dragon type a little. It offers interesting design space since there's not another type quite like it and we can even make a Dragon Energy eventually. We are using Dark/Steel types as well, but just without the basic energy for them (we have a lot more special rainbow-type energy to make up for this).
4te said:
I would so volunteer my time to make a couple of fake-cards art wise
Great! Can you PM me an example of card(s) you've made in the past?

(Did you get my PMs Celebi?)

Honestly, I really think this set will work! I'm very excited about it.

I would like to help test. This sounds really interesting.

Hey guys, me again. I have been working on a mini set, but I haven't thought all of it through yet, so i'd just like to share some of the mechanics I've been using, and what i've been thinking.

Example 1:

{DRG}{D} Bred, Hydranite (Dragonite Hyredgion.) 130

Dragon pulse {DRG}{DRG}{C} 60

Black Hole {D}{D}{DRG}{C}
Swith your opponents active pokemon with one of his/her benched pokemon, and do 50 damage to it.

Retreat: 4 Weakness: {F}/{DRG} Resistance:{DRG}

Ok, next bred pokemon:

{F}{P} Bred: Golchamp (Golurk Machamp) 120

Poke-Power Self Confident;
If Golchamp is the only bred pokemon on the field all of malurk's attacks do 10 more damage.

{F}{F}{C} Quad Punch 20X
Flip four coins. This attack does twenty damage for each heads.

{P}{P}{F}{F} Ghost Punch
This attack does 50 damage to target pokemon.

Retreat: 3 Resistance: {L} Weakness: {P}

Next Bred:

{G}{W} Swadrill (Swampert beedrill) 110

Poke-body Drill Defense
When this pokemon is dealt damage by your opponents active pokemon deal 10 damage to that pokemon.

{W}{G}{W} Hard Slap 50

{W}{W}{G}{G} Drill Splash 20
This attack does 30 damage to two pokemon of your choice.

Retreat: 3 Resistance:{W}{G} Weakness: {R}{L}

Last Bred:

Manephlosion (Manetric Typhlosion) 110

Poke-Power Energy Storm
If this pokemon is on your bench you may attach an extra {R} or {L} energy on your turn.

{R}{R}{L}{L} Flash-Burn 70
The defending pokemon is now burned.

Retreat: 4 Resistance:{W} Weakness:{F}

The only stage three at the moment:

Magnedrone, Stage 3 120

Poke-power Probe
Flip a coin when magnedrone attacks. If heads, that attack hits for weakness.(Except for benched pokemon.)

{L}{L}{L} Volt Burst 50

{L}{L}{L}{L} Electromagnetic Pulse 50
This attack does 20 damage to two pokemon.

Retreat:4 Resistance: {F} Weakness: {R}

Some other cool stuff:

{D} Bisharp 60

Poke-power Suprise attack
Once during your turn when you play bisharp to evolve a pokemon you may bring your active pokemon and all cards attached to it into your hand. Bisharp is now your active pokemon.

{D}{D} Dark Slash 20

Retreat: 2 Resistance: {P} Weakness: {R}

Next pokemon:

{L} Electevire 100

{L}{L}{C} Lightning cannon 10x
this attack does 10 damage for each energy attached to this pokemon.

{L}{L}{L}{L} Thunder crash
BENCH ATTACK: this attack does 60 damage to your opponents defending pokemon. This pokemon is now your active pokemon.

Retreat: 3 Resistance: {M} Weakness: {F}

Last one:

{C} Keckleon 60

Poke-Power energy sap
Keckleon can use energy attached to the defending pokemon as if it was attached to itself.

{G}{W}{F}{DRG} Energy Burst 50

{L}{R}{M}{D} Energy explosion 50

Ok, before I sum it up, I'd like to talk about two mechanics i will be adding to these as well as the one's i have in this set.

Bench Attack: A bench attack is where a benched pokemon may use an attack that hurts your opponents defending pokemon, allowing all sorts of nasty suprises, but the pokemon that used the bench attack is now your active pokemon.

Dangerous Draw: this is pretty much an ability I've been meaning to add where you can draw an extra card at the expense of damaging the pokemon using the ability by 20.

Suprise Attack: this is a little similar to bench attack, except you return your active to your hand, and move one of your benched up. this is mainly just if you really need to refresh an attacker, or if you just want to mess your opponent up a little.

Self Confident: I feel this is definately a cool and interesting power. Pretty straight forward, but extra damage is nice.

Stage 3: Stage three's are the second "Elite, or EX " type pokemon in this set, just a bit more powerful, and while you may not want to evolve into one, the do give perks.

Bred: The bred mechanic is if you have two pokemon in play, say Golurk and Machamp you may discard them both and play Golchamp. Bred Pokemon are the first "Elite" or "Ex" type pokemon in the mini set with pretty much the same goal as stage three's.

Energy Sap: This is a pretty cool ability. Simple, and efective.

Berserk: Berserk is an ability/mechanic that allows the pokemon to do more damage depending on how much damage counters it has. A fairly normal mechanic.

So, this set of ideas brings three major mechanics: Bench Attack, Stage Three's, and Bred Pokemon, which is think are pretty good.

I think, i would like weakness to go to +30 damage weaknesses, just because with weaker pokemon a times two weakness would kill tons of stuff.

READ: This post is just an example of what I have been thinking of. I know some of it is probably really OP and wrongly worded but this is just to give an idea.

It would help if you guys could start looking into the future with this. Creating sets is fun and all, but I'm almost positive none of you have any idea what you want to do after the sets are completed. Maybe I'm wrong; or do you guys just think you can create a TCG simulator site with a wave of your magic wand?

When creating a new mechanic, you make the game more complicated. This isn't always bad, but you really have to weigh the benefits of the new mechanic against the level of complexity it adds to the game. I feel like you're just making new mechanics because you can.

The bench attack thing, while cool, could just be a Poke-Power that ends your turn for the same effect. The difference between the two is so minimal it makes no sense to add a new mechanic for it. You also risk bridging the gap between the bench and the active, since the only really difference right now is that cards on the bench can't attack.

Stage 3 and Bred Pokémon are a lot like previous game mechanics - LEGENDs and LV. Xs. It seems as though it would make more sense to simply re-introduce these mechanics with slight twists than to create completely new mechanics.

Also, many of your attacks and abilities are pretty bland. The cards seem like they're mostly just attackers built to do big damage in certain situations. There are a couple pretty cool ideas though; especially Energy Sap. Make more stuff like that and you're golden.

Update: I'm done drafting the first 100 cards. So that's a set. I did make a solid 20-25 reprints or spiritual reprints. I'll try to avoid this in the future, but I felt it was important to start the format somewhere to avoid making mistakes like the real Base Set had. I think it's important to release two sets at once to start the game off in order to give players more options, though. I'll be sending PMs out to the people who volunteered for beta testing shortly, though. I see no reason they can't start testing the first set right now.

The Yoshi said:
It would help if you guys could start looking into the future with this. Creating sets is fun and all, but I'm almost positive none of you have any idea what you want to do after the sets are completed. Maybe I'm wrong; or do you guys just think you can create a TCG simulator site with a wave of your magic wand?
That's a goal for very far in the future. I want the game to take off in real-life situations first. I want people to start playing with the cards at leagues and between rounds at tournaments. This makes a statement to the card creators about the current state of the real game and allows people to have fun at the same time. I'm hoping it will take off with a combination of front page support from PB, official PB sponsorship in other ways, and by getting people to signature advertise it on other Pokémon TCG sites. I'm basically taking a slow but steady approach. Even if the game only gains a small following, I feel I'll have done my job.

After all that's done, I'd look into creating a TCG simulator. Those who want to play online with the cards before then can use Redshark proxies, Skype, or play on PlayTCG with a more complicated proxy system (Hydregion NV = Hydregion from my set, etc).

Back