None
This is why we don't use Mariokart TV
2chdo8.png

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
Bazinga001 said:
2chdo8.png

That's a Youtube goof. They took a Ubisoft video down for copyright infringement. It was on Ubisoft's channel. There were also shenanigans a while back that had some Russian dude (I think, memory is hazy) taking down loads of official videos through copyright loopholes. Youtube is hilariously bad when it comes to that stuff.

I'm sure everyone has seen Wave-Hopping (Hop-Snaking is the lame name) by this point. Opinions? [For the unaware, watch some World Record Time Trials; it's the weird little hop thing they all do that gives them a bigger boost]

Bazinga001

None
SotS said:
Bazinga001 said:
2chdo8.png

That's a Youtube goof. They took a Ubisoft video down for copyright infringement. It was on Ubisoft's channel. There were also shenanigans a while back that had some Russian dude (I think, memory is hazy) taking down loads of official videos through copyright loopholes. Youtube is hilariously bad when it comes to that stuff.

I'm sure everyone has seen Wave-Hopping (Hop-Snaking is the lame name) by this point. Opinions? [For the unaware, watch some World Record Time Trials; it's the weird little hop thing they all do that gives them a bigger boost]

Trust me, I know how bad YouTube is when it comes to keeping uploaders happy. Their interface for removing the copyright claimed song is very easy to use though. I slipped in some royalty free music, and I would suggest those who use Mario Kart TV to do the same. Unless it's Rainbow Road 64. Because that music is boss.

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
bacon said:
Yeah, agreed with the pack problem. I think for me it's more down to the fact that I suck, but the 2,500+ players seem to bank on getting an early lead. When they don't get that, they tend to get mediocre rankings. It's partly items and partly the coin system, in that the early lead gets first pickings of the coins and that collisions happen way more often at the back of the pack so it's harder to collect them.

So I think the early lead thing reeeally stacks in favour for fast vehicles and heavy characters. Bad acceleration doesn't seem like an issue as boosts are everywhere in this game.

I mean I'm not that great at the game either and I have 2,500+ player rating. The rating system doesn't really tell you who's necessarily better at the game. It's more of a time spent playing kind of thing like it was in 7. In Wii, you would gain and lose a huge amount of points, but in the last two, you don't lose very many points at all. So it's really not a huge like difference kind of thing. All players should be doing their best to get the lead because it's the most consistent way of winning races, regardless of rating.

But yes, you're right. Speed is so king in person v. person races and weight is also very important as well. But the fastest setups aren't necessarily the best like in Time Trials because you do get hit by items no matter how good you are, so you need decent acceleration. That's why I mostly see the lower tiers from the super heavy like the Metals and Rosalina, DK, Roy, etc. They have a good balance with the other stats and enough speed to get out in front.

dmaster out.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
How does one add friends to this game? I am online and wish to see some pokeybeach pals.

Emperor

???
PMJ said:
How does one add friends to this game? I am online and wish to see some pokeybeach pals.

Press the home button. On the gamepad; there should be a row of icons. Press the orange square icon with the smiley face. You can add people's nintendo IDs there.

Mine btw, is Rednaxela35 if anybody is interested. In game, I go by the name Spark if anybody has seen me.

Heavenly Spoon

Back???
Advanced Member
Mine's HeavenlySpoon.

Also, I got the game today. The courses seem fun enough and the gameplay seems business as usual, no complaints here. I probably won't be able to play it much these next few weeks, but feel free to friend request me and whatever else you kids do nowadays.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
It turns out the rumors about the Mercedes-Benz DLC for Mario Kart 8 was true after all, although from what I've heard it seems to be a Japanese exclusive to help promote the GLA Mercedes-Benz over in Japan. This kind of product placement does leave a bad taste in my mouth, I mean what's next Kid Icarus wearing Nikes?

TrainerLoganPoke

Aspiring Trainer
Card Slinger J said:
It turns out the rumors about the Mercedes-Benz DLC for Mario Kart 8 was true after all, although from what I've heard it seems to be a Japanese exclusive to help promote the GLA Mercedes-Benz over in Japan. This kind of product placement does leave a bad taste in my mouth, I mean what's next Kid Icarus wearing Nikes?

Well at least we can trust nintendo to send it overseas if it is too good. Personally I don't mind either way because it's free and nintendo was probably paid a lot of money.

TrainerLoganPoke

Aspiring Trainer
I think we can expect some dlc. Especially since birdo feels so prominent in some of these courses and dry Bowser pretty much has a course designed after him. If we get dlc characters we probably should expect nabbit since he seems to be the dlc mascot.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
That stupid dinosaur-looking thing from mario u game is such a weird character that I would not be surprised if that image was real and these guys are all in. He'd be this game's Honey Queen.

That said, if the image is real, why is the cursor on Donkey Kong? You'd think the guy would at least show us the new guys.

Although I would be stoked if this is real and Birdo and Kamek are in this game now.

bacon

!!!!!
I think it's more likely to be fake. I want it to be legit so bad though. I don't exactly care for those new additions, but when you have barrel scrapers like Baby Rosalina (shots fired!) I'll take what I can get.

What characters / karts / etc are working out for you guys?

I tried maining heavy characters with max speed karts for a bit, but I just make too many mistakes with the poor handling / unfamiliar course layouts and it wasn't a consistent way to win.

So then, I tried out Toad with max speed kart / slick wheels / maximum accel glider. The lower speed wasn't as punishing as I thought it would be because the added control makes it far easier to gather coins and execute short cuts. With Toad, I found things much more consistent, but in the sense that I would consistently place 6th-4th because I just didn't have the raw speed to catch up to the leading heavies, even when playing damn near flawlessly with nothing going wrong. A nice way to demolish 150 cc / Mirror mode, but doesn't quiiiite cut it with the online players.

I don't think I need as much control as Toad offers, so I'll probably experiment with the slightly faster medium class and see where that takes me. I think that the "metagame" is shifting towards mediums / semi-heavies based on what I've seen the top players use. Most people seem to be using max speed karts / wheels, but I'm wondering if some off-road capabilities might average out to superior performance on the pick-&-mix selection of courses. This is particularly true of the under water stages.

I'll stick to karts for the time being, but I hope to venture out to the bikes eventually as those seem a bit more technical and interesting!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I mostly use Rosalina with the cat kart, purple wheels, and bowser kite. It seems to be a good combination of speed and control for me. Hubby's been a bit more adventurous, but I don't think he's settled on anything yet.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Daisy + the bug car with the eyes

The car has high acceleration but low speed. The middleweight class gives it some much-needed speed without sacrificing the ability to turn corners

Daisy because she is da bess (obviously but I am just being clear for the sake of being clear)

Heavenly Spoon

Back???
Advanced Member
I'm using Daisy with the Sport Bike and Slick Wheels (Gotta go fast!). I somehow got used to using the monstrosity that is the Bowser Bike (Flame Runner in the US) in MKWii, and this set-up seems to mirror it quite well. The inside drift sort of compensates for the lack of control the fast tires give, and Bike + mid-weight means my acceleration doesn't hurt too much. I feel it's a nice trade-off between raw speed and acceleration, while completely neglecting weight and off-road. It does pretty well online, especially on relatively hazard-free courses with tight turns (N64 Rainbow Road <3).

Also v
PMJ said:
Daisy because she is da bess (obviously but I am just being clear for the sake of being clear)

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Single player:

Baby Rosalina
- Circuit Special
- Retro Off-Road
- Bowser Kite

Speed is worthless in single player because of rubber banding. Also you get hit by everything anyway so you might as well catch up to first fast enough to win.

Online:

Rosalina
- Comet
- Slim Wheels
- Plane Glider

gotta go fast

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member