Mario Kart 8 Discussion

For those of you who have been living under a rock! The newest Nintendo Direct aired yesterday and it was solely about Mario Kart 8! They announced new characters, showed off some new courses, described some of the newest items, revealed a Wii U bundle, and even a Club Nintendo promotion (US)! Watch the video below if you haven't seen it yet. And if you have seen it already... watch it again!
Mario Kart 8 Direct

(New Characters!)
Pink Gold Peach
30_pink_hover.png

Baby Rosalina
17_babyrosetta_hover.png

To all of you guys who said that they need to buy a Wii U for this, the bundle is only $40 iirc. I'm actually kinda sour because I'll be getting the game anyway, with a Wii U and in the bundle you get another free game as well (wind waker HD, Pikmin 3 or Super Smash Bros.) and I've bought a wind waker HD console already, so it turned out to be a worse deal than if I waited. I'm honestly comsidering getting the bundle and just selling the Wii U whkch comes with it for like $50 getting some kind of profit, at least.

I hate how they put those ugly Koopalings nobody cares about into the game. They take way too much space from the character rooster and lessen the variety of playable characters. >_> The Bee Queen for example was really funny last game although almost nobody played it (I would play her but I like lightweights like Yoshi).

Pink Gold Peach is the most... I just can't. It doesn't even make any sense. Pink and gold are both colors. How can you be-- aaargh.

Koopalings are fine in my book. I also wouldn't say that nobody cares, seen as how there's tons of people out there nostalgic about them. (Though I'm not really, since Super Mario World was way past my time.)

Celever said:
To all of you guys who said that they need to buy a Wii U for this, the bundle is only $40 iirc. I'm actually kinda sour because I'll be getting the game anyway, with a Wii U and in the bundle you get another free game as well (wind waker HD, Pikmin 3 or Super Smash Bros.) and I've bought a wind waker HD console already, so it turned out to be a worse deal than if I waited. I'm honestly comsidering getting the bundle and just selling the Wii U whkch comes with it for like $50 getting some kind of profit, at least.

You mean this bundle? You aren't getting a Wii U for less than $100 MSRP, much less $40 for system + game. Ever. lol

(Or am I just reading your post wrong?)

I get "Pink Gold". It sounds good. It's understandable what they mean. I like it. A heavyweight princess for those who like to play heavyweights and princesses. :p Also baby Rosalina. <3

I like to play heavyweights and princesses. :D I loved playing Rosalina in MKWii mostly for that reason, also because she's cool. I'll probably play around with Pink Gold Peach a bit, too.

In MK7 Rosalina is a Cruiser though (mid-heavy), and we can assume she stays so. Pink Gold Peach (just realized that Peach can also be used as a color name... Peach Gold Peach would have been golden!) will obviously be heavy. ... well that's if they keep the five classes instead of three (I really hope so)... A wiki says there will be three but is that really confirmed?

If there are five classes, I really wish Lakitu would become Light (it's Feather in MK7).

Ironically, Rosalina (& Lakitu & Bowser Jr.) is my favourite Mario character but she is the only princess that is not Light (my favourite class) in MK7. >__< Also sad to see that Bowser Jr. is not included. But those damn Koopalings? WTF! Bowser Jr. is their leader?! >__<

Three weight classes are confirmed for the game. Check the Mario Kart 8 website.

Also the best bundle for Wii U is the Mario and Luigi one, then get this game as well. For $330 you get four games and the premium console (regularly a $250 dollar value, and each game is $60. So you save $160).

This game is looking so damn good, it's not even funny. I've boarded the Kart 8 Hype Train and I'm getting off on May 30th after I arrive at my destination in awesome racing land.

I honestly could care less about the new characters. For me, it's always been about the courses, and so far, the lineup looks way better than 7's did (although I won't know for sure until I actually race on them), but the game is looking absolutely gorgeous all the same.

dmaster out.

dmaster said:
This game is looking so damn good, it's not even funny. I've boarded the Kart 8 Hype Train and I'm getting off on May 30th after I arrive at my destination in awesome racing land.

I honestly could care less about the new characters. For me, it's always been about the courses, and so far, the lineup looks way better than 7's did (although I won't know for sure until I actually race on them), but the game is looking absolutely gorgeous all the same.

dmaster out.

What I've seen from the courses (attempting to avoid the news; not on account of spoilers, but that I don't want to get too hype), I've gotta' agree. Though I'm still bummed that Wario Colosseum from Double Dash!! didn't make it in. The course could lend itself so well to the anti-gravity concept.

What Retro courses would everyone here liked to have seen? Or did your favorite make it in?

Man I wish my family could get this but we got the wii at the last year or two of it's cycle so we probably won't for a while. Personally this already has my favorite bowser castle course design wise so it really is a shame. Do you guys think that it will have any more characters to announce or is this it?

This character roster, right now, is actually pretty bad. It is:
Koopalings
Babies
Main Cast (Mario and the like)
Random metal things

This is truly disappointing for me, because just by introducing a few characters from past games it could be much more diverse. See:
Koopalings
Babies
Main Cast
DK Family (Where is Dixie, anyway?)
Random Metal Things
Enemies (IK that Koopa is in already, but he is p much a main cast. However, he would fit into Enemies much better. Also, Paratroopa was so good in MK:DD!!. Me want :c)
Bosses (Petey Piranha, King Boo, Bowser and Dry Bowser. There is more that they can do with this concept, though)

I'm probably forgetting something here, but anyway. Just by re-adding characters from previous games the roster would be so much better. Literally the only hope we have of getting some of these characters back is DLC, because it is already May, the month which this game is going to be released on, and E3 is in June. I'm hoping that Nintendo left some unannounced characters in there to surprise us, but seeing as how they have revealed literally everything else about the game I don't think it's very likely. However, like I said, the only way to get Birdo and Dry Bones back is DLC, but Nintendo is gonna have to make a whole lot of it to include everything.

But it should totally happen. We want more courses and characters, or even vehicle parts. Do what you did with Toadstool Tour! ;o;

SotS said:
Pink Gold Peach is the most... I just can't. It doesn't even make any sense. Pink and gold are both colors. How can you be-- aaargh.

As is Peach! So it's "Colour Colour Colour". Anyway, I remain indifferent to the characters because as long as they have Koopa Troopa and Daisy, I'm fine.

This game looks visually stunning and I love the track designs. It's a real shame that I won't be playing it though because it's still a waste of money to buy the Wii U just for one game :(

Anyway, I've seen enough of each track (check out GameXplain) to rank them, with my thoughts on each.

NITRO TRACKS
16th: Sweet Sweet Canyon
100px-Sweet_sweet_canyon.jpg

It's a testament to Mario Kart 8 that my least favourite Nitro Track is still pretty darn good. Sadly, it just doesn't do it for me, and the generic concept may contribute to that. The soda underwater segment seems a little tacked on, and there's nothing that stand out in the track design. Yet there's still a crazy amount of attention to detail!

Visuals: 7
Design: 5
Concept: 4

15th: Twisted Mansion
100px-Twisted_mansion.jpg

Twisted Mansion has so much potential. Yet I feel it's wasted a lot. The Boo Haunted House concept can lend itself massively to many ideas, such as teleporting mirrors and trapdoors, yet a large part of the track is submerged underwater, which seems startingly out of place. Plus gravity is overused in this track, and many areas, including the underwater segment, seem boring. But the Boo Statue Hazards are pretty cool (if not so intimidating).

Visuals: 6
Design: 5
Concept: 7

14th: Water Park
100px-Water_park.jpg

Generic name, isn't it? Once again it's a case of great concept, middling execution. A water-themed amusement park seems like a fantastic idea, but when the track only includes one memorable ride, that looks cool from afar but seems very normal when riding on it, you kinda feel let down. Also it needs more hazards!

Visuals: 8
Design: 4
Concept: 8

13th: Electrodome
100px-Electrodome.jpg

It's visually uninspiring and overall a very simple track for a third slot in the Star Cup. There's nothing special about it, but I do commend its inventive use of both lighting and anti-gravity.

Design: 6

12th: Mario Circuit
100px-Mario_circuit_new.jpg

It's a very simple, visually stunning track with a great way to convey the anti-gravity. Being a Mario Circuit track, there's nothing elaborate going on, just a mobius strip that allows for some skilled racing to come into play. Plus it's a mobius strip.

Visuals: 9
Design: 7

11th: Toad Harbour
100px-Toad_harbor.jpg

This simply looks like a fun track to race on, due to the multiple paths, rockin' hazards and a concept that seems very modest when surrounded by extravagant mountains and sugar-filled canyons. You can actually picture yourself in this San Francisco-esque town, which adds a whole lot of depth to the course. There's also an amazing amount of detail put into the track. The main negative, in my opinion, is the fact that the beginning looks almost identical to Shy Guy's Bazaar.

Design: 8

10th: Rainbow Road
100px-Rainbow_road.jpg

The amount of hate directed at this track so far is quite astonishing. Sure, there was potential for so much more due to the endless use of anti-gravity, but the concept of a space station is fantastic and it's refreshingly short for a Rainbow Road course. I admit it's a little underwhelming and some design elements could have been integrated into the course (I'm looking at you, Blooper spaceship), but otherwise, this still blends the fun of racing as well as the challenging aspect of Rainbow Road very well.

Design: 6
Concept: 9

9th: Bone Dry Dunes
100px-Bone_dry_dunes.jpg

It's not a stand out track by any means, and from a visual perspective it looks a little dull, but I love the concept of racing on bones (though they could have included the elements a little more), and the overall track design is also pretty darn impressive.

8th: Cloudtop Cruise
100px-Cloudtop_cruise.jpg

It looks very impressive and some design elements are fantastic. The thundercloud segment looks both challenging and immensely fun to race on while the inclusion of the beanstalk and the airship is intelligent. But so much more could have been made of the airship, and the resemblance to Sky Garden is uncanny, and so the track concept becomes a lot less original.

Concept: 6

7th: Dolphin Shoals
100px-Dolphin_shoals.jpg

Yay, dolphins! The concept is a little bland but, when outside the water, it looks stunning and I feel that racing on the track is gonna be fun. Some design elements are awesome, including jumping through the rings and racing along the eel, but other elements are almost copied directly from Wario's Shipyard, such as the underwater pipes, which detract from the concept's originality.

6th: Shy Guy Falls
100px-Shy_guy_falls.jpg

This is starting to look like a fan-favourite, and with good reason. When you compare this with Yoshi Falls, you can see how far Mario Kart has come over the years. The use of anti-gravity is very effective, and it's visually appealing, but the potential for alternate paths hasn't been fulfilled, and there is minimal use of the waterfalls which the name boasts.

5th: Bowser's Castle
100px-Bowsers_castle.jpg

I think this captures the vastness of Bowser's castle much better than any other track of the same name, but from an originality perspective, it seems hindered by concepts used in previous iterations. The Bowser punching-statue is reminiscent of Bowser Castle Wii, and aside from that, none of the rest of the track stands out too much, However, hazards are abundant, which I'm a huge fan of, and it looks absolutely stunning.

Visuals: 10

4th: Thwomp Ruins
100px-Thwomp_ruins.jpg

From a design perspective, this track is one of the best in the franchise. It's also visually stunning, and while the concept isn't exactly special, it's a welcome sight. The multiple paths, threatening hazards and great use of anti-gravity, flying sections and underwater sections make this track one of the best nitro tracks.

Design: 10

3rd: Mario Kart Stadium
100px-Mario_kart_stadium.jpg

'Bout time we had a full-blown go kart stadium in the franchise, eh? This is the best starting track of the franchise, showcasing the anti-gravity in all its glory. It looks like a very fun track to play on, and the atmosphere conveyed is beautiful. As is its visuals.

Design: 9

2nd: Sunshine Airport

1st: Mount Wario

Visuals: 10
Concept: 10

I'll update this later when I have more time.

SotS said:
dmaster said:

dmaster out.

What I've seen from the courses (attempting to avoid the news; not on account of spoilers, but that I don't want to get too hype), I've gotta' agree. Though I'm still bummed that Wario Colosseum from Double Dash!! didn't make it in. The course could lend itself so well to the anti-gravity concept.

What Retro courses would everyone here liked to have seen? Or did your favorite make it in?

I'd have to say the only problem I have with the Retro courses is the clear bias towards Mario Kart 64 with a whopping 25% of them being in this batch which is far too much and doesn't give enough attention to the other versions IMO. That and they picked a pretty bad course from Super Circuit. I would have loved to see Ribbon Road or Cheese Land in HD glory.

dmaster out.

xxashxx said:
Man I just saw the video for this game the other day and it was pretty epic. I like how you now can drive sideways or upside down and I like how you can fully customize your car. Similar to how you could in Off Road Racing for the SNES. Although the customization for that game was more in depth but Mario Kart comes pretty close compared to that game. I also like you you can now use up to 8 items if you get the Super 8 item. Does the Super 8 item always give you the same 8 items? In the video it looked like it did but I was not sure.:)

Yes, like the 'Lucky 7' item in Mario Kart 7, the new 'Crazy 8' item gives you the same items everytime, except, it now inludes one additional item being a coin.
Crazy8.jpg

IT COMES OUT TOMORROW

Get hype. Who's getting this? I want some hot sexy day one racing.

My husband and I are buying a Wii U and MK8 on Saturday. We'll probably get some other games too at some point, but this is the first game that's come out that we've actually felt is worthy of buying the console for.

I want to play this but it's not like I would have time to play this for like two months and it's not like I would get a WiiU for thisasad+dfplsfyx.c

I'll probably play it at a friend's place though.

PMJ said:
IT COMES OUT TOMORROW

Get hype. Who's getting this? I want some hot sexy day one racing.

omg PMJ I have it I have it me meeeeeeeeee

I'm loving this so far. Everything just looks fantastic. I am absolutely terrible though and get so confused with some of these levels haha.

Back