Finished Mafia 53: Twilight's Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your point on bbninjas- can’t see it indicative of alignment. For him it is the start of the game so it is read to me more like fresh eagerness to play.
Yeah, it's true, bb has been in the game for so little time.

I think Keeper is not too careful with his role staying hidden from scum can be indicative, but it can also just mean he doesn’t find it too bad to let scum know not to kill him. I think what you and Zone are looking for is the idea that as town you would prefer to sacrifice yourself to kill scum (he claimed being a bomb role, right?). That would be my preference too, but I can’t tell if it’s something any townie would prefer, as keeping yourself alive can also be considered a priority, because as town your only confirmed town from the beginning is yourself.
This is something I don't understand from Keeper and I hope he could clarify it. If his role is truly a bomb, which I understand it makes some kind of damage to the one/s that kill him, why would he openly tell it here so the scum doesn't kill him? I mean, if that role is true, I'd prefer keeping it in secret and try to get nightkilled to make damage to scum, which is the main goal of a townie. Right?

What sort of reason could anybody give to convince you that their info is better kept away from scum?

For like a millionth time, it depends on how sensitive the info is.

I asked if the indie was a threat to the town and PMJ said "The independent player is not considered a threat the town needs to eliminate in order to win."

Interesting, indeed... Now I guess we can concentrate on actual scumhunting and not worry that much to the indie, since from that I'll assume our wincon can be achieved simultaneouly or aren't mutually exclusive.

I mean, if that role is true, I'd prefer keeping it in secret and try to get nightkilled to make damage to scum, which is the main goal of a townie. Right?

This is actually right and I find it odd for various reasons. The fact that Keeper said this could very well be a reason for us to keep him alive as well and the only way we can confirm his claim is by "risking" a player getting bombed. But then again, it's a relatively dumb move, which is actually throwing me off.

kGE0hxi.png

It is 7 to lynch. Numbers in parentheses represent the post number of the vote.

Professor_jplap - Celever (475)
@Camoclone - Ability Effect (473), NP (477)
NP - Jabberwock (498)
@GM DracLord - bbninjas (514), Jabberwock (550)

Not voting: Keeper, scattered, Drac, Camo, Mariano, Luis, jplap, Zone

This is current as of post 562. The player with the most votes is tagged. Reminder that if two or more players are tied for most votes at the end of the day, there will be no lynch.

Day 2 ends Sunday, August 26, at 4 PM CDT (Timer) or whenever someone is lynched.

Camoclone: like this post to confirm receipt of your role PM. Also, go find the global warning post (it's linked in the OP) and like it to show you have read and understand it. You have until the end of day 2 to do so, or you will die a horrible, screaming death.

Last edited:
I think Keeper is not too careful with his role staying hidden from scum can be indicative, but it can also just mean he doesn’t find it too bad to let scum know not to kill him. I think what you and Zone are looking for is the idea that as town you would prefer to sacrifice yourself to kill scum (he claimed being a bomb role, right?). That would be my preference too, but I can’t tell if it’s something any townie would prefer, as keeping yourself alive can also be considered a priority, because as town your only confirmed town from the beginning is yourself.
I already explained that being open about my claim allows me to easily give out whatever info I can get without having to worry about anything else. I have no reason to keep the bomb part of my ability secret, since it just makes scum think twice before killing me. If they keep me alive it's obviously better for town, so I can keep looking into Farewell abilities and alert of dangerous ones or abnormalities (like Jplap's, who has his hidden, though I suppose if he's going to be MK'd anyway then we don't need to worry about him).
If they do kill me then they do it knowing that they'll lose a member. Or they assume I'm lying about that front, which works out too. Mind games.

This is something I don't understand from Keeper and I hope he could clarify it. If his role is truly a bomb, which I understand it makes some kind of damage to the one/s that kill him, why would he openly tell it here so the scum doesn't kill him? I mean, if that role is true, I'd prefer keeping it in secret and try to get nightkilled to make damage to scum, which is the main goal of a townie. Right?
I believe I hit most of these points already, but claiming one ability or the other doesn't put me in an ideal situation. Claiming ability seer would get me NK'd immediately, which is no good, even if I do explode. Not claiming just means I have to talk without using any evidence I have which is simply boring. I rather play this way.

This is actually right and I find it odd for various reasons. The fact that Keeper said this could very well be a reason for us to keep him alive as well and the only way we can confirm his claim is by "risking" a player getting bombed. But then again, it's a relatively dumb move, which is actually throwing me off.
There's really no need to prove my bomb claim. I could even still be bluffing about it, WIFOM with the mafia. But we can prove my other ability, or at least gain use from it.
Problem being, I'm getting the feeling that most Farewell abilities are detrimental to town. And revealing them just gives mafia targets to go after to impede us during the day.

For like a millionth time, it depends on how sensitive the info is.
I don't see how. It's not a spectrum; either it's sensitive enough that you want to keep it away from scum, or it's not. Without knowing the information beforehand, what reason would you accept and be convinced that it's the former and not the latter? (Yes, I'm asking the same question over and over. It's because you're not answering it.)

What Luis is suggesting, and what I agree with, is that the town set Roz up to be lynched, and did not execute the push fairly.

I don't see why the town is so focused on Keeper's bomb claim right now? Whether or not Keeper's telling the truth has grand implications for the mafians (NOT the town), and so it is the mafian's problem.

My initial reaction to responses to my Day 1 comments; Keeper, while firm in his justification of the Roz lynch, still seemed to acknowledge a few areas where evidence wasn't significant enough (a good sign that he's thinking things through). Celever, on the other hand, actively defended against virtually every single point that I made -- even if that point did not relate to him (a sign that he's not playing progressively). Speaking of which...

Let's see what I have...
-> Celever and you are strong town in my eyes because you are scumhunting with progression in your mind.
Why do you think Celever is scumhunting with progression? I agree that scattered is, but I can't equate how scattered and Celever are playing.

--

Celever did also respond to most of my points as if I was using those points to get someone lynched (i.e. "this is weak", "why is this that indicative?" etc). Those points were initial suspicions, NOT solid scumtells. They are mini flags that put people on my radar -- however, if I was to see any of those points as solid evidence to lynch someone over, I will absolutely respond to the relevant aspect of Celever's posts. (I am also conscious of invoking any back-and-forths like in the past, since they are never beneficial.)

If people have specific questions they want to ask me, please tag because I have low activity right now and will miss things.

I asked if the indie was a threat to the town and PMJ said "The independent player is not considered a threat the town needs to eliminate in order to win."
Good news: NP is proud (probably) and we don't have to search for indie anymore.
Bad news: You are dead to Celever. Post #457.
I already explained that being open about my claim allows me to easily give out whatever info I can get without having to worry about anything else. I have no reason to keep the bomb part of my ability secret, since it just makes scum think twice before killing me. If they keep me alive it's obviously better for town, so I can keep looking into Farewell abilities and alert of dangerous ones or abnormalities (like Jplap's, who has his hidden, though I suppose if he's going to be MK'd anyway then we don't need to worry about him).
If they do kill me then they do it knowing that they'll lose a member. Or they assume I'm lying about that front, which works out too. Mind games.

I believe I hit most of these points already, but claiming one ability or the other doesn't put me in an ideal situation. Claiming ability seer would get me NK'd immediately, which is no good, even if I do explode. Not claiming just means I have to talk without using any evidence I have which is simply boring. I rather play this way.

There's really no need to prove my bomb claim. I could even still be bluffing about it, WIFOM with the mafia. But we can prove my other ability, or at least gain use from it.
Problem being, I'm getting the feeling that most Farewell abilities are detrimental to town. And revealing them just gives mafia targets to go after to impede us during the day.
On one side: Fair point...
On the other side: Stupid mind games...
In other words: Your point makes sense, so I will aim at anyone else that I can get for now.
Did you read Celever's posts?
First it was a slip, then it was constant denial, then it was a contradiction, then he admitted defeat? I won't deny that the possibility of a scum among the eevee-voters is high, but how the hell are we supposed to think that eevee was town if he behaved like that!?
It was very situational and even at the last minutes, no one thought that eevee was town. At least, I sure as hell didn't.
@Luispipe8, did you read this? Please respond if you do.

RE: The GM Drac wagon.

I did say I was busy with work for most of Day 1. Plus with so little info obtain (Do remember I'm not like you guys, I don't know how to do a in depth analysis) I can hardly suggest whom to lynch..

- I'm more used to having Celever around rather then all the other named you mentioned (when I think back SM should be included with Cel)...
- I never remember Cel ever attacking me early on. I don't think we were ever both scum members at any game.

*The bolded statement also can be apply when I'm a town. At this moment not a single player give off the Scum Vibe in my guts hence I don't really felt like putting my targets yet

-- GM Drac was able to determine who shouldn't be lynched in his eyes - even though similar skills can be used to determine who at least is slightly suspicious. I don't see Drac's low activity, or claimed lack of skill, as valid justification for not scumhunting.
-- I don't think people understand the significance of the lack-of-commitment tell. If you do not commit to a lynch, then the town has minimal information on you, based on that lynch's flip. Scum can't get dirt on you if you don't commit. This is how Drac classically floats to the late game as mafian - and I picked up on it a few times while playing as scum with him. It's both a scumtell AND a metaread - not just a metaread.

@GM DracLord; you had a list of people who shouldn't be lynched Day 1, but somewhere in Day 2 you said that you read everyone pretty neutrally. What changed?

Why do you think Celever is scumhunting with progression? I agree that scattered is, but I can't equate how scattered and Celever are playing.
The fact that he wants jplap's question to ask things about scum over NP's indie question sounds progressive to me. That, and many other reasonable posts of his, including Post #529.

-> ...hm? Possible threat... Hey, is anyone going to talk about the NK? If the indie is harmful, then there ought to be two doctors, right?
Good news: NP is proud (probably) and we don't have to search for indie anymore.
Bad news: You are dead to Celever. Post #457.
Everybody ignored it, but at least it was true...
So I assume that we have confirmed that a doctor prevented the NK? ...huh, now I also wonder whether a Roleblocker can prevent the NK... Oh well. It is less relevant than the current gameplay.

If they do kill me then they do it knowing that they'll lose a member. Or they assume I'm lying about that front, which works out too. Mind games

Yeah that’s what I thought you were thinking. Sorry if I missed you already saying that. Anyway, you say it’s more fun to play with your role being out there. I think it’s cool, but we need more than this. Assuming Jplap is going to get modkilled, who do you think is the best player to look into right now? Even if you don’t like to scumhunt (which I only guess from the way you play) it’s helpful to just point to that player, so others can look into him.

So far I haven’t voted. The players I consider at the moment:

GM Draclord - I need more time to see how he play, as I said, but it’s a good choice if I end up with no alternatives.
Ninja Penguin - If he keeps avoiding Jabber’s question about Mariano, but that is unlikely to happen.
Jplap- in case he will post but without answering my question.

All the others are still not clear, but I do need to reread more posts.

Everybody ignored it, but at least it was true...
So I assume that we have confirmed that a doctor prevented the NK? ...huh, now I also wonder whether a Roleblocker can prevent the NK... Oh well. It is less relevant than the current gameplay.

I am starting to put you on my scum list. This post asking for the existence of a doctor is unnecessary at this stage to town. Also, you acknowledged that. Could be a way to cover up and prevent further questioning of your motives. One thing that works against that theory is that you did that “wondering about stuff” posts throughout the game so far. Can you look at what I wrote recently to Keeper and point out players that you think might be good to look into aside from the current cases?

Assuming Jplap is going to get modkilled, who do you think is the best player to look into right now? Even if you don’t like to scumhunt (which I only guess from the way you play) it’s helpful to just point to that player, so others can look into him.
I think it's less that I don't like to scum hunt and more that I like to do so later in the game when I have more information to pull from. Obviously I'm not as aggressive as other players, so I don't function that way early on.
With Jplap being hidden I can only assume he's scum, but did we ever get confirmation from PMJ that his inactivity will be addressed?

My other reads are low. I was suspicious of Aqua's behavior yesterday but because he was subbed out I'm taking Luis in with a new light, so that's aside for now.

I am keeping an eye on NP though. But that's almost purely because of his ability which isn't indicative of alignment alone. Him saying he also has an idea of what it does, though, makes me curious.

I think it's less that I don't like to scum hunt and more that I like to do so later in the game when I have more information to pull from. Obviously I'm not as aggressive as other players, so I don't function that way early on.
With Jplap being hidden I can only assume he's scum, but did we ever get confirmation from PMJ that his inactivity will be addressed?

My other reads are low. I was suspicious of Aqua's behavior yesterday but because he was subbed out I'm taking Luis in with a new light, so that's aside for now.

I am keeping an eye on NP though. But that's almost purely because of his ability which isn't indicative of alignment alone. Him saying he also has an idea of what it does, though, makes me curious.

Yeah, with NP I think I am waiting for Celever. I think he made a post about him going to tell what were the scummy things he picked up from him during their wall fight D1. Seems like you, Jabber, and Celever (maybe others I forgot) think he is scummy but not for similar reasons.
So it would be interesting to see similar points for a change.

@NinjaPenguin - are you in V/LA? Why haven’t you commented on Jab’s following question?
I'm suddenly really busy and tired and not at home like ever so what I'm posting is quite literally me using up about a half of my true free time. That being said, tomorrow is the weekend so I'll catch up then and wallpost and stuff and answer this question you've mentioned.

I am starting to put you on my scum list. This post asking for the existence of a doctor is unnecessary at this stage to town. Also, you acknowledged that. Could be a way to cover up and prevent further questioning of your motives. One thing that works against that theory is that you did that “wondering about stuff” posts throughout the game so far. Can you look at what I wrote recently to Keeper and point out players that you think might be good to look into aside from the current cases?
-> Oioi. I simply stated that I have become curious as well about that question. I did not say anything about talking further about it.
-> Rather, if you want a question for jplap, then why don't you wait for his answer to your question? You're not the only one who's curious to know why jplap wants to make enemies with Celever.

As for my suspicions... To me, jplap's action this night is equal to buddying up with NP. I mean, both NP and Celever had consented that they would be fine with the question of "Did any town had any connections with scum?" yet jplap asked a question that favors NP's paranoia. However, basically helps scum more than town -as stated by Celever.
To sum it up: jplap is my top suspect for said reasons.

Actually I still wanted to point my FoS on Quaking but now that he is subbed out, I guess waiting for any response from Camo is "the best option" for now. (Sarcasm to Luis. The best option is not to wait, but to act.)
Then there is Luis whose discussion with Keeper seems... normal to me. Although I still want his answer on the eevee-case.

My next target would have been NP, because of jplap, but... it could have also been jplap trying to pocket NP, so I doubt it. If anything, I am actually interested as to what Celever will say to jplap. Also, I still want Celever's answer regarding the ought-to-be-confirmed amount of scum.

The case on Drac... To be fair, the fact that he saw everyone equally sounds rather odd if you think about the three aforementioned people. But anything aside from that, still not much.

That's a selfish way of thinking. You say that claiming it early on helps to keep you alive, which is true in case you are town, but scum will kill other townies instead of you. What makes you think that the nightkilled townie has not a better ability than yours? In that case, town can lose a more valuable ability than yours. If you think the town as a team, you'll realise that it's far better if scum attacks you.

Claiming ability seer would get me NK'd immediately, which is no good, even if I do explode
Again, your explode ability (in case is true) must be used on a scum member. How? Getting nightkilled! That way you help the town. Or aren't you interested in helping the town?

I don't see why the town is so focused on Keeper's bomb claim right now? Whether or not Keeper's telling the truth has grand implications for the mafians (NOT the town), and so it is the mafian's problem.
No. It is important because that way a scum Keeper sets up the field to not getting lynched and acts as an excuse of being alive long in the game with the tell "scum don't kill me because they know the consequences".

I'm sorry, but I can't think of that action coming from a person who wants the town to win the game.
##VOTE: Keeper of Night

1. Yeah, of course, it's al a bluff/mind game stuff, but my point is that, if or when you're in the spotlight for whatever reason then we'd actually give it some thought and it'll get trickier the later in the game we go. Since we don't know the specifics of the bomb (if there's one) and you'd definitely not share it, we might as well think that it's not necessarily an anti-scum bomb, but it can kill anyone in your bus, since we'd be discussing your role as town or mafia. See my point? It's not something to lynch you for and definitely I'm not building a case around it, it's just that a bomb claim is just too gutsy and too risky for everyone to play with or play around, and not only to scum but to town as well. It's all a huge mess of mental games mumbo jumbo.
2. Jeeez, is it that bad? Then we'd need to be extra careful with our lynches. If we're going to get punished WHILE losing a townsman then we better try to avoid it.

I don't see how. It's not a spectrum; either it's sensitive enough that you want to keep it away from scum, or it's not. Without knowing the information beforehand, what reason would you accept and be convinced that it's the former and not the latter? (Yes, I'm asking the same question over and over. It's because you're not answering it.)

Hmm... probably something similar to what Keeper did, a claim that's actually believable and enough info to support it. Definitely not just a "gimme info, plz"; at least some logical reasoning as to why that info being shared is for our best interest.

@Luispipe8, did you read this? Please respond if you do.

Oh. Quite frankly I must have skimmed through it xD Like I said I /do/ agree that Roz was not contributing to his case at all with how cryptic he was acting, and heck, I probably would have voted for him somewhere along the way. But everyone instead of thinking things through and in cold blood just simple stomped over him in order to get a lynch going. Just like ninjas beat me to say:

What Luis is suggesting, and what I agree with, is that the town set Roz up to be lynched, and did not execute the push fairly.

Then there is Luis whose discussion with Keeper seems... normal to me. Although I still want his answer on the eevee-case.

There was my answer xD

Again, your explode ability (in case is true) must be used on a scum member. How? Getting nightkilled! That way you help the town. Or aren't you interested in helping the town?

This, though, is a really good point... If I was Keeper I might as well claim something stupidly attractive for the scum and let them kill me.

This post is a response to the case on Drac, and I implore everyone to read it:
As for who I think should be lynched? ##VOTE: GM Draclord

The fact that Drac stated who shouldn't be lynched, but not who should, is solid evidence for the classic lack-of-commitment that always shows through in Drac's play as scum. That this is already apparent is quite telling.
You've literally made a case with a foundation of lack-of-commitment. On Day 2. At the start of it, too, in your first post (or string of posts which was just one big post separated into smaller bits to be more stomachable). That's literally already flawed. So good job with that one.

And even if it weren't flawed, and I don't like using meta but this is a meta-read so I'm providing an equally shabby meta-defence, is Drac being non-committal at the start of the game might be how he plays as mafia, sure. It's also how he plays as town. In most games he's in he says at the start of Day 1, "Day 1's not my thing, I'll keep up with the thread but be more useful tomorrow", such as what Athena, PMJ etc. often did as well. Just because he didn't put a disclaimer at the start of the day this time, doesn't mean anything.
bbninjas said:
NOTE: There is some subtle buddying with Celever as on both parties [future reference]:

- GM Draclord not wanting to lynch Cel for experience (despite NP, Jabber and scattered all being very experienced too)[/quote]
You heard it here first. Not wanting to lynch someone is buddying. And this is a very misleadingly worded bullet point because you heavily, heavily imply that I was the only person Drac didn't want to lynch for experience. But no -- he put Keeper on that list too, and while yes, NP, Jabs and scattered are all experienced players, they're at least a year and a half, 2 years younger than me Drac and Keeper on this site, who were the 3 oldest and most experienced players at the time. Do I think experience is a good reason not to lynch someone? No. Was it Day 1? Yes. Does Drac ever play much on Day 1? No. Is it therefore characteristic of his several years of play on this site to have made a post in that vein, regardless of alignment? Yes, absolutely. I don't think there's any way you don't know that because you must have played in dozens of Day 1s with Drac, and this happens nearly every time. Just usually no one picks him up on, because it happens nearly every time. He's not an RVS player. That's fine.

The fact that you've made this contrived point in this misleading fashion is very scummy. Like, by far the scummiest thing you've done this game and, arguably, that anyone's done besides Eevee. This is steering the town off a bridge by what I could only assume is "talking in absolutes" (which is a scumtell according to you but I'm still not sure what you meant and you didn't clarify it).
bbninjas said:
- Celever's lack of interaction with GM Drac, despite having picked fights with virtually everyone else
Folks, here's a list of "virtually everyone in the game besides Drac":

Virtually everyone in the game besides Drac:
3. NinjaPenguin
10. roz_the_eevee Spike (Town) - Lynched Day 1
12. Professor_jplap

I knew we were having activity issues on this site, but I didn't realise things had gotten this dire. Damn.

Not that you actually made a valid point that is worth responding to, but for the sake of it: I respect Drac tremendously as a player and think he's one of the best players we have on this site. This comes with the downside of me always having trouble reading him. So I don't see what motive I would have for drilling into him Day 1 when I wouldn't be able to glean much from his reactions. The only times I've had success at reading Drac is by looking into patterns, and patterns are rendered worthless if you guide the player in question in specific directions. Some players you get information by grilling, and some you get by letting them lead their own course. Drac, in my experience, is the latter, and I dare you to find a game in the last year where my behaviour has contradicted this ethos.

Finally, why you've attempted this case at all concerns me. At the end of the day the only thing you've said that you're saying could indicate he's scum -- the first quote bubble in this post -- is solely a meta-read, which we all know is weak. And not only that, but it's an incorrect meta-read, because you're stating that something that is pretty intrinsic to his playstyle is somehow something he only does as mafia. That's flagrantly untrue. To flesh out this hokey "case", you added a "note", which I know is one of your strategies where you flesh out your posts with information to make the content of it seem more professional and appealing, while having a disclaimer present so that if anyone says "that's not scummy tho" you can say "I didn't say it was" (and how I know that is you've already done it this game with your FoS, adapting the definition of FoS to suit your needs away from the traditional definition). So the note of the buddying with me, which was also presented by you misleadingly and beyond that is not uncharacteristic of Drac anyway, is not something you're trying to say is scummy, despite including it in the same post as your case, right? Not that it would matter if it was because it's also untrue at best, but you accept that that doesn't indicate Drac's mafia? Cos if anything that's a read on me using the assumption that Drac is mafia, derived from a hokey metaread which has an untrue foundation.

The new players who have supported this case are fine. They don't know Drac's play that well. The more experienced players, if there are any (I haven't studied the more recent parts of the thread too extensively yet) will be cast into a suspicious light by doing so, however. This is not a hard case to see the many holes in if you've played with Drac before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back