Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

That wouldn't be the first time we've gotten artwork that spanned multiple sets. Look at Gligar from Roaring skies, then Golurk from Ancient Origins

Yeah, I had noticed that before. It's one of the reasons that made think of this Chikorita/Fennekin case.

-----------------

btw, this is yet another card which shows the portal between the twin worlds featured in these sets. Probably the collision between the 2 worlds that started in this set is what causes the awakening of the Psychic Kings in XY10. Just theorizing....

From the looks of it poor little Trubbish was just abandoned by his owners... okay... but at least he's not slowly dying from agony in the crippling heat like Shellder :rolleyes:

Really hyped for Time Puzzle!

Also really looking forward to using two Time Puzzle to grab two Time Puzzle and looping for 10 minutes!

M-Scizor also looks really good. May have to buy a box or two...darn it all!

One day I don't have internet access and the whole set is revealed.

Atleast I got one prediction right for the set, that was the Meganium line being printed.

Kanoko Eo, draws a stage 2 card, something that happens rarely if not ever, but the card is unplayable

I thought the Drowzee was prepping up with mudbath and sparkle hoping to evolve and then turn gold into a break pokemon.

Time puzzle takes us back to dp stormfront trainers.

I think with this Garchomp, there is a good possibility alongside Hawlucha from FF and perhaps some additonal 1 energy big hitters (non EX) that we may see more people using no EX pokemon whatsoever in their decks. It takes more skill to win that way interms of balancing your deck.

This must be the 'Bring back the Pokemon that haven't been printed in a while' set. Also Heatmor's translation is missing the '100' after 'HP.' Small, unimportant, but I noticed it :p.

I wanted to point out a cool thing about the Trubbish; it's illustrated by OOYAMA, the same guy who illustrated the infamous Bilingual Exeggutor and Ooyama's Pikachu from back in the day, though that was really neat that he came back <3

I think Darkrai ex could pair nicely with hypno more because u can play float stone rush in retreat zoroark then malamar because u have to attach an energy to it for the turn but its more simple to pull off. Dakrai with a muscle band will just be like sceptile ex/ariados only hitting for that magic 180 number. Quite a small set with only 2 megas compared to breakthrough and no full art supporters first time since the xy base set. Overall, ho-oh is the best full art in this set and i do not care if it's playable or not I want it in real life :p

For those who don't want to read through every single card text!
For those who want to argue about what artwork or card text was good or bad! Debate is encouraged :)

Standout cards for artwork:

- Chikorita, Kriketot (so epic), Suicune, Geninja break (that water shrunken is so cool), Hypno (creepiest artwork ever), Trubbish, Honedge, Aegislash, Sudowoodo, Garchomp, Shiftry, Darkrai EX, Pangoro (Oh man. This is awesome), M Scizor EX, clefairy (hypno plz), Ho-oh ex, espeon ex fa, Scizor ex fa, gyarados ex fa secret rare (Almost reminds me of ancient trait cards)

Overall impression: There is even more standout artwork than those listed above. Amazing artwork for this set. 9/10 (One off for that Seismetoad. Just. The worst.)

Standout cards for playability:

-Kricketot (pretty powerful for grass decks. Can search for an entire vileplume line, for example)
-Durant
-Slowbro (Odd win condition. Could see it in night march or archie’s decks)
-Slowking (multiple could be quite disruptive)
-Suicune (110 is actually pretty solid for 3 energy. Not the worst ability)
-Manaphy EX
-Frogadier/greninja/greninja break (cool combo with lots of options)
-hypno (could work with darkrai ex)
-garbodor
-garchomp
-darkrai ex (rip honchkrow’s nightmare mambo. you will be dearly missed)
-raticate break (ariados was made for this. Run with absol for grass type KO’s?)
-time puzzle
-max elixer (ugh)
-fightign spirit belt (ughhhhhhhh)
-Delinquent (I don’t think it’ll be as good as you think it will)

Overall impression: nothing really that crazy. Raticate break and Greninja break will be really excellent in my friend group’s unlimited variant format. Nothing too format altering overall that I can see. 6.5/10 -didn’t hate it. The cards are interesting, at least!

Just curios if I'm reading this right. Playing one time puzzle allows you to look at the top three cards of the deck. Playing two time puzzles, at the same time, allows you to draw two cards from your discard.

If that is right, wouldn't that make getting two time puzzles in your hand to play at the same time a bit awkward? I believe judge and red card might hinder this card a bit.

This must be the 'Bring back the Pokemon that haven't been printed in a while' set.

Almost. I was actually going to point out this earlier: while Shellder and Cloyster haven't appeared much in the TCG, they at least appeared in the first XY set... Those 2 spots could have been used for Seel/Dewgong which haven't appeared in card form for 6 years now...

Does that Chikarita mean Delphox BREAK in the next set which would name sense. But will it be Psychic for Mega Alakazam, or will it be fire. Anyway, the full arts look amazing.

Edit:Either that or Chikarita is looking in a PARALLEL CITY which fenniken is in. (it is even in a city) This practically confirms Delphox BREAK in the next set (and chesnauht was in breakthrough, greninja is in breakpoint, so Delphox may be in the set after breakpoint which comes out in japan on March 20 something-ish (I forget:p))

Last edited:
If that Kricketune is translated correctly I see potential. For one colorless you can add more damage to your main attacker's attacks.

Also the Gyarados FAs look alright but it's not as beautiful as I thought. I'm also happy to see a Fighting type Garchomp, and it's pretty useful. A few strong energy, also fighting stadium will make sure all EX are kill

- Zebstrika can OHKO Yeltal and Lugia for one DCE. Insane.
-Darkrai would be good in a Fairybox deck, with a lot of Double Dragon and rainbow energy. (Giratina, Mew in expanded), and Malamar to send the active to sleep and also give more Darkness energy. With a sleeping active, that's 160 and 170 with fighting spirit belt.
-Time Puzzle would be an awesome two or three-of in a deck that runs teammates. When one of your Pokemon dies, and all your good stuff is in the discard, you can teammates for two time puzzle and "reverse teammates" for whatever you want. Also, nice synergy w/ Psychic mind reader.
-Manaphy seems like a good subtsitute for Old Darkrai in Fairybox in standard.
-Ho-Oh would be nice in a Fairybox that runs 3+ Rainbow energy, or a Volcorona deck.
-Garchomp's art looks brutal. It looks like Gallade BKT is already obsolete.
-Fighting spirit belt can give any EX the power of a Mega. WHY.
-Reverse valley is OK. Ten isn't so much for types that already do so much damage (dark), or already have so much defense (metal).

After seeing all the Basic Pokemon buffs, I thought we would get something to help evolution or BREAK. Nope. Wasn't this suppose to be EX vs. BREAK vs. Mega or something? I fail to see that in this set.

So with Time Puzzle can you take a lead then perform the infinite loop until time is called, going for the win in the 3 extra turns to take the series?

Back