Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not entirely sure. You have to have some reason to play them. I think TPCI is keeping that in mind, what with both of the non-EX Pokémon not being very special.
Azumarill hits Fire- and Dragon-types for Weakness. Neither of these types are super prevalent in the meta game as of now (although following the release of Volcanion-EX they certainly could end up so, or perhaps the more recent Delphox).

Shiftry takes down a sub-type of Psychic and a sub-type of Water. A lot of popular Water-type Pokémon are weak to Grass as of now, so that's a bonus and a definite counter to Greninja BREAK, but most Psychic-types in general are weak to Psychic instead of Dark, such as Alakazam-EX and Wobbufett. Shiftry could certainly be a good, strong counter against Night March, and both of the decks he'd be useful against are in a serious need of a solid counter.
Volcanion-EX is also not that overpowered in terms of weakness, only really dealing with threats like Vespiquen and Vileplume.
I'd say your best piece if evidence would be Mega Gardevoir-EX. Not only is this card broken to begin with, especially in Expanded, but it also swings for weakness against things like M Alakazam-EX, Lucario-EX, and such things.

But all that being said, I still totally see what you're saying, and all of my evidence is very case-specific so it could certainly be made null by the next reveal (if they released some sort of Fighting/Psychic-type?).
Cheers!
We have a fighting/psychic type in golurk (aor) which also has an attack that can oneshot anything with weakness. So i dont think we will get one in this set.

Bulbakool

Aspiring Trainer
... Because it would suck for a lot of Pokemon to miss getting a shiny card if thats how they are deciding them. I did say that....

Read up.

You mean the set made for dragons right? I mean, they got all the support. There wasn't a single EX bird Pokemon in the set in which Pidgeot EX and m-Pidgeot should have been in but all we got were dragons and cards to make them better.
Well they have left out a lot of Pokemon out of certain things. They're not afraid to not give a lot of there Pokemon special treatment. Pidgeot had been left out in the cold for the longest time. And by that judgment every type that doesn't have its actual second typing as its own type is left out. Gengar comes to mind as ghost and poison is represented by the psychic typing

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Well they have left out a lot of Pokemon out of certain things. They're not afraid to not give a lot of there Pokemon special treatment. Pidgeot had been left out in the cold for the longest time. And by that judgment every type that doesn't have its actual second typing as its own type is left out. Gengar comes to mind as ghost and poison is represented by the psychic typing

It could be something that they do. Adding a flying type would be nothing but a type, since it would still use the same colorless energy setup. I say add the rest of the types. Flying is more unique than ground/rock or bug/grass. They could make rock/ground a different type from fighting and make it work.

They also could make gengar psychic/grass.

Bulbakool

Aspiring Trainer
It could be something that they do. Adding a flying type would be nothing but a type, since it would still use the same colorless energy setup. I say add the rest of the types. Flying is more unique than ground/rock or bug/grass. They could make rock/ground a different type from fighting and make it work.

They also could make gengar psychic/grass.
Well poison I feel is the more unique one along side ghost. I don't think flying has that much going for it cause like you said it'll just be a type that functions the same as colorless. Gengar being psychic/grass makes no sense. I understand that some poison types have been grass. But that hasn't been the case lately and some of those that have been like that are usually animal based like arbok

crystal_pidgeot

Well poison I feel is the more unique one along side ghost. I don't think flying has that much going for it cause like you said it'll just be a type that functions the same as colorless. Gengar being psychic/grass makes no sense. I understand that some poison types have been grass. But that hasn't been the case lately and some of those that have been like that are usually animal based like arbok

Thats like saying dragon shouldn't have a type. Types dont need their own energy types to be possible. Poison type if it happened could have its energy represented by both grass and psychic, if rock/ground get a type, they can just use the fighting energy so I dont see how its odd for a flying type to use colorless as an attack requirement considering dragon disproved what you're say by once being exclusively the colorless type while using odd energy and now have their own typing while still using the current energy pool and still using the odd energy.

Poison is largely related with nature, which is represented by grass in the TCG but purple is normally associated with poison as well. Gengar isn't a psychic type but is always shown as such in the game. Ghost are also associated with psychic energy. Gengar could be represented by one of three types in the TCG but since flying is something important to Pokemon, it would make sense for the type, since many pokemon fly.

Johto King

A typhlosion fan
Because that's what everyone is doing right now, I'll list what types I think need to separate the most.

1. Rock/Fighting (What does a rock have to do with a fist?)
2. Flying (As Crystal_Pidgeot said, flying is important to Pokémon, its the third most common type, ater Normal and Water)
3. Ice
4.Poision
5. Bug
6. Ghost

Bulbakool

Aspiring Trainer
Thats like saying dragon shouldn't have a type. Types dont need their own energy types to be possible. Poison type if it happened could have its energy represented by both grass and psychic, if rock/ground get a type, they can just use the fighting energy so I dont see how its odd for a flying type to use colorless as an attack requirement considering dragon disproved what you're say by once being exclusively the colorless type while using odd energy and now have their own typing while still using the current energy pool and still using the odd energy.

Poison is largely related with nature, which is represented by grass in the TCG but purple is normally associated with poison as well. Gengar isn't a psychic type but is always shown as such in the game. Ghost are also associated with psychic energy. Gengar could be represented by one of three types in the TCG but since flying is something important to Pokemon, it would make sense for the type, since many pokemon fly.
But dragons do have an energy. The dragon special energy that serve as any energy. They kept them as they were because they're suppose to be these over powered Pokemon that require all sort of energy. Flying has always been the secondary typing. Thunderous was the first mono flying type and the noivern line is the first mon to have flying as its primary typing. Flying is really only seen as a bonus as most bird Pokemon are normal types. I think ground and rock should be the first to separate with fighting as they don't really share any similarities with fighting. Poison I think should be after as they have type advantage against grass so I would much rather have poison as its own.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
... Because it would suck for a lot of Pokemon to miss getting a shiny card if thats how they are deciding them.
Not every Pokemon got:
- A Shining Card (see: Shining Magikarp)
- A Pokemon ex (see: Chansey ex)
- A Pokemon Star (see: Pikachu Star)
- A Pokemon Lv.X (see: Garchomp Lv.X)
- A Pokemon-EX (see: Gardevoir-EX)

Really, the only thing every Pokemon has got in the TCG has been a card depicting them. Every special Pokemon card has never been given out to every Pokemon, why would Shiny Pokemon be any different?

Not to mention your case for a Flying-type isn't even that strong to begin with.

maxies_glasses

Angry Nerd Dewott
Its weird how the Gardevoir-EX card doesn't feature a shiny Gardevoir, but the Mega Gardevoir-EX does. The illustration on the Gardevoir-EX card isn't really that good either. I'm also looking forward to the Xerneas card. It has such an adorable illustration. So does the shiny Azumarill card.

alexander

Aspiring Trainer
I hope Xerneas break and Yveltal break get abilities that allow for either more energy withdrawl decks to set up your bench and active or more damage for your bench and active if you already have energy and do damage to your opponent with a high hp card or reducing card like diancie ex for fates collide or hard charm from XY base.
There are many things that they could with xerneas break and yveltal break think this would be the best.

crystal_pidgeot

But dragons do have an energy. The dragon special energy that serve as any energy. They kept them as they were because they're suppose to be these over powered Pokemon that require all sort of energy. Flying has always been the secondary typing. Thunderous was the first mono flying type and the noivern line is the first mon to have flying as its primary typing. Flying is really only seen as a bonus as most bird Pokemon are normal types. I think ground and rock should be the first to separate with fighting as they don't really share any similarities with fighting. Poison I think should be after as they have type advantage against grass so I would much rather have poison as its own.

Flying also have advantage over grass, which also has advantage over fighting and bugs. DDR is a special energy that can only be on dragons but there isn't a basic dragon energy. Flying is anything but normal.

Not every Pokemon got:
- A Shining Card (see: Shining Magikarp)
- A Pokemon ex (see: Chansey ex)
- A Pokemon Star (see: Pikachu Star)
- A Pokemon Lv.X (see: Garchomp Lv.X)
- A Pokemon-EX (see: Gardevoir-EX)

Really, the only thing every Pokemon has got in the TCG has been a card depicting them. Every special Pokemon card has never been given out to every Pokemon, why would Shiny Pokemon be any different?

Not to mention your case for a Flying-type isn't even that strong to begin with.

I was never trying to make a case for flying. It was just a statement since I would like to see a shiny pidgeot card and since they are only making dual type pokemon shiny, it would be nice to see other dual type pokemon get a shiny and since the flying type is on a lot of pokemon, it would be nice to see it.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
I was never trying to make a case for flying. It was just a statement since I would like to see a shiny pidgeot card and since they are only making dual type pokemon shiny, it would be nice to see other dual type pokemon get a shiny and since the flying type is on a lot of pokemon, it would be nice to see it.
That's a much different statement than you said previously.

So this pretty much confirms that flying is getting its own type? Would suck for a lot of Pokemon to miss getting a shiny card.

sagen888

Shine on you Crazy Diamond
That's a much different statement than you said previously.
I'm really trying to understand what he is trying to get at but I can't quite get it either. In terms of this news, nothing here is alluding to any sort of additional typings whatsoever, and crystalpidgeot's arguments are making little sense to me. I feel that it is nice to be enthusiastic towards something, such as flying type-pokemon, but it shouldn't be to the point where desire for something gets in the way of reason. It really throws these comments sections off, and I'm sure lots of us would like to talk about the actual news at hand. That said, I agree with the earlier poster who said that this artwork seems a bit disappointing as a hollow. A shiftry break would be pretty cool though!

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Guys, the posts are starting to get a bit off-topic. If you want to keep talking about new TCG-types, feel free to create a new thread to continue the discussion :)