Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
it's definitely a shiny Shiftry. There's more of a red shading to it on the card rather than brown.

Also I am starting to feel like this set is a "broken meta clean-up" set. So hopefully they do a few things right and make this support Non-Mega evolutions better.

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
Aw man, another Shiftry already? I don't even really like that Pokémon. Though I feel bad for those who do like Shiftry, because yet again they get one that is not very playable.

And if they do print more dual types in each set they should seriously nerf weakness. Or else I think it might be broken.

Bulbakool

Aspiring Trainer
I rather like this shiftry although I kinda wish I
His second attack was a bit better. And also I think it does 60 more damage not 40 cause when you look at the card it says 60 on it

Edit: now that I think about it. Shiftry could be one of the break cards in this set as well as azumaril. Maybe shiftry can have some useful ability that'll help its attacks

AgentMFilms

The Anti-Meta One
And if they do print more dual types in each set they should seriously nerf weakness. Or else I think it might be broken.

I'm not entirely sure. You have to have some reason to play them. I think TPCI is keeping that in mind, what with both of the non-EX Pokémon not being very special.
Azumarill hits Fire- and Dragon-types for Weakness. Neither of these types are super prevalent in the meta game as of now (although following the release of Volcanion-EX they certainly could end up so, or perhaps the more recent Delphox).

Shiftry takes down a sub-type of Psychic and a sub-type of Water. A lot of popular Water-type Pokémon are weak to Grass as of now, so that's a bonus and a definite counter to Greninja BREAK, but most Psychic-types in general are weak to Psychic instead of Dark, such as Alakazam-EX and Wobbufett. Shiftry could certainly be a good, strong counter against Night March, and both of the decks he'd be useful against are in a serious need of a solid counter.
Volcanion-EX is also not that overpowered in terms of weakness, only really dealing with threats like Vespiquen and Vileplume.
I'd say your best piece if evidence would be Mega Gardevoir-EX. Not only is this card broken to begin with, especially in Expanded, but it also swings for weakness against things like M Alakazam-EX, Lucario-EX, and such things.

But all that being said, I still totally see what you're saying, and all of my evidence is very case-specific so it could certainly be made null by the next reveal (if they released some sort of Fighting/Psychic-type?).
Cheers!

vaporeonH20

Aspiring Trainer
Aw man, another Shiftry already? I don't even really like that Pokémon. Though I feel bad for those who do like Shiftry, because yet again they get one that is not very playable.

To be honest by nerfing weakness might actually be a good way to also minimise the power creep and have balanced point where new evos with weakness like in DP era and old pokemon EX with time to weakness are in the same format finally and can compete before rotating out EX without it just dominating. Although right now they've already have set with Pokemon EX so maybe after the entire new XY series. And with decks like Greninja it'll still be difficult to have much evo decks still.

And yeah they need to have more variety in pokemon. Even if some pokemon are more popular i prefer more variety and cards that have not been printed for awhile get some exposure. Theres like 2 shiftry in XY-onwards already, so many gardevoirs, malamar, yveltal, darkrai, mewtwo and others, and the playable cards are usually the same pokemon.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
So this pretty much confirms that flying is getting its own type? Would suck for a lot of Pokemon to miss getting a shiny card.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
I'd put Flying right up there with types like Ghost and Ice in the "will never get its own type" camp. To be fair, I don't feel ANY new type is necessary, or would actually benefit the game, but there is definitely more of a case for Bug, Poison or Rock/Ground to get their own type than Flying. Flying provides the sole source of weakness diversity to several types, notably Darkness and Lightning, which would otherwise entirely be weak to Fighting. Also, considering we got an entire set devoted to Flying-Type Colorless Pokemon (Roaring Skies), it seems fairly obvious they never plan to branch it off.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
That half-white text is going to be annoying for image fakers. I hope you know how to use layer masks!

There's no need to make a fake image. When this set releases in English, you can get a digital version of it in TCG Online :D

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Actually, I don't see layer masks being necessary. You can just rasterize the type, split the layer in half down the diagonal line, and invert the colors of half of it.

Have yet to test this, though. Might not get a perfectly crisp dividing line the way I want to.

Spectre_Makoto

Elon Musk is Steve Jobs' Nobody!
The basic Volcanion has pretty nice synergy with its EX version. Discard energy with the EX's ability while also adding damage. Then use Power Heater for Potentially 140 damage for one Energy while also accelerating Energy to your Bench. It makes for very nice early game pressure and good energy cycling.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
There's no need to make a fake image. When this set releases in English, you can get a digital version of it in TCG Online :D
I mean for customized fake cards (usually using fan art and made-up attacks).
fake_alexpoke_e_card_by_karite_kita_neko-d6xlpih.png

TheUltimateAbsol

Truth or Ideals? It's all Black and White to me
Let's just hope there isn't some sort of Shiny Stunfisk that has a viable attack.
Fighting/Electric Type WOULD be a real big problem

Pipotchi

Aspiring Trainer
Imagine if they printed dual type Reshiram too. Blacksmith then slap on a double dragon energy for speedy high energy cost attacks :0

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
How does this confirm that flying would be getting its own type? I mean I would love that but this doesn't show any signs of that.

... Because it would suck for a lot of Pokemon to miss getting a shiny card if thats how they are deciding them. I did say that....

I don't think any of this news alludes whatsoever to what you just suggested...

Read up.

I'd put Flying right up there with types like Ghost and Ice in the "will never get its own type" camp. To be fair, I don't feel ANY new type is necessary, or would actually benefit the game, but there is definitely more of a case for Bug, Poison or Rock/Ground to get their own type than Flying. Flying provides the sole source of weakness diversity to several types, notably Darkness and Lightning, which would otherwise entirely be weak to Fighting. Also, considering we got an entire set devoted to Flying-Type Colorless Pokemon (Roaring Skies), it seems fairly obvious they never plan to branch it off.

You mean the set made for dragons right? I mean, they got all the support. There wasn't a single EX bird Pokemon in the set in which Pidgeot EX and m-Pidgeot should have been in but all we got were dragons and cards to make them better.