Is there alien life?

Do you believe in alien life?

• Total voters
ice arceus - internet, books, other people's opinion too i have found that all of them(apart from scientists[they just like to prove things wrong]) say that alien life exists.

tidas said:
apart from scientists[they just like to prove things wrong]
They just like to TEST things to see if they're actually true, instead of assuming they are based on at best dubious sources.

You can assume that there is life on other planets, but you can't claim you know. It's perfectly acceptable to say that you, based on your current understanding of the universe, think that the possibility of there being life on other planets is highly likely (and I wouldn't disagree with you), but making baseless claims like "alien life does exist" is not.

Anyhow, discussions like this always remind me of this one particular quote. I think it was first uttered by Carl Sagan, but have not been able to verify this. Quoted from Douglas Adams in this case:
"There are two possibilities: Either there is life out there on other planets, or there is no life out there on other planets. They are both utterly extraordinary ideas."
Lovely quote that is, and so very true as well.
To think that we are the only life in this vast cosmos would be massive, imagine how precious this little ball of life would be.
If however there is life (or intelligent life, if there is none, you can just re-aply the above statement), that would be downright awesome, to find out what they are like, their chemical compositions, their structures, functioning, etc. Imagine...

However, I do think the odds of us ever encountering this life are beyond small. If we want to meet them, we'll most likely have to be the ones to make the first steps, and even then it'll take centuries before we'll even come close.
For now, Earth is all we have...

YakobTheRed said:
I saw this and thought of you guys.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7805069/Titan-Nasa-scientists-discover-evidence-that-alien-life-exists-on-Saturns-moon.html
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/07/has-life-on-titan-been-discovered-no/

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
About abduction stories... why is it always the crazy people who get abducted?

I've always entertained the notion that Aliens abduct the crazy people on purpose because nobody is ever going to believe them lol

bacon said:
I've always entertained the notion that Aliens abduct the crazy people on purpose because nobody is ever going to believe them lol
That is sooooo true. :)
Aliens come from hundreds of light-years away just to abduct some crazy people.

tidas said:
ice arceus - internet, books, other people's opinion too i have found that all of them(apart from scientists[they just like to prove things wrong]) say that alien life exists.
Just to add, and a message to everyone else. You won't seem very believable when you cannot link us exactly to the sites you've been on, give us the titles of the books you've read and whose opinions you've heard in this case.

You write make pages of why life does or doesn't exist, but if we cannot verify you resources, what are the chances we would believe you?

Ice Arceus said:
That is sooooo true. :)
Aliens come from hundreds of light-years away just to abduct some crazy people.
That's such a waste of resources, so I don't think it would be worth the time and energy for some other form of intelligent life to go and abduct someone that got dropped at birth and then just take him or her back home. The logic itself makes all of these stories highly unlikely.

As for whether or not I think aliens exist, I think they do. It's probably more likely for them to exist then for them not to.

Oh, and remembering something I heard from Stephen Hawking, if intelligent aliens do indeed exist and find us, it probably won't be too great for us, because there's a chance of aliens being more advanced than us, and if they find us, it'll be like Columbus and the native Americans. And you know how that turned out.

Oh, and if the universe has a limit, what would you find at the end?

Mr. Random said:
Oh, and if the universe has a limit, what would you find at the end?
The universe has to be finite. How could something be infinite when it was finite before? Since the Big Bang the universe is still expanding, you can expand how much you want but you'll never reach infinity.

Back to the question, it would be the same question as 'What was there before the Big Bang? Except for a singularity, nothing. Would you ever get outside our universe? No, because time and space don't exist (yet) outside the walls of our universe (I'm not taking into conclusion that other universes or a multiverse don't exist).

Anyway the answer I would give you would be, we don't know exactly. But the best explanation would be simply nothing.

Yes I believe there is alien life. Our proof is Bela, AKA Holy Star.

Ok, really seriously, no one knows. But I believe there can be life in other galaxies. I'm having an open mind on this.

kawaii_Mew said:
Yes I believe there is alien life. Our proof is Bela, AKA Holy Star.

Ok, really seriously, no one knows. But I believe there can be life in other galaxies. I'm having an open mind on this.
Why wouldn't there be? :P As long as the planets have the right conditions there's a very high chance life will form there too.

I kinda believe there is life on another planet. I don't believe that Earth is the only planet in the Universe which harbours life. There's estimated to be billions of galaxies, each containing billions of planets. It just wouldn't make sense for Earth to be the only planet which harbours life.

Reshiram_and_Charmander said:
No, no life could live on another planet for many reasons.
Why couldn't they? What are your reasons that made you think that this is true? Please explain it to us.

It's a little big and kinda long, I know. But If you read it you might also think that stating that we are the only life in the universe, is quite arrogant :)

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4340/universe.jpg

Just too big. x_x

And even still, with the largeness, of the universe, it's still very possible that we're the only ones around.

I say that its can be easily possible that their could be aliens. Heck, aliens could be on this forum right now, seeing if our pokemon fans our able to intrude thier invasion....

Zyflair said:
Just too big. x_x

And even still, with the largeness, of the universe, it's still very possible that we're the only ones around.

Please clarify. Do you mean all life or intelligent technologically advanced life?

aggiegwyn said:
I say that its can be easily possible that their could be aliens. Heck, aliens could be on this forum right now, seeing if our pokemon fans our able to intrude thier invasion...
Yep aliens are on this forums as we speak lol. But yeah I believe that we need more powerful technology to actually look more further into space if we see a Planet that might have a fair amount of distance from the sun.

Ice Arceus said:
But yeah I believe that we need more powerful technology to actually look more further into space if we see a Planet that might have a fair amount of distance from the sun.
From the Sun? That small star with 4 earthish planets, 4 gas giants and a whole lot of rocks circling it?
You might not know this, but we've found quite a bit of exoplanets by now (very recent science, very exiting!), I don't think there are planets circling the Sun which don't know about yet, and I'm including large moons with that as well. I hope you didn't mean what you're saying, because if yes, you should really try to learn some stuff about astronomy.

Stronger telescopes seems nice, but to detect life is almost impossible. From the moon, life on Earth is barely noticeable, from any other planet in our solar system you'd have to have quite a big telescope, anything beyond that is pretty much a lost cause. There are no clear pictures of Pluto yet, and all the very large pictures of the gas giants are either from probes and the likes photographing them, not from Earth-based or Earth-orbiting telescopes. If we can't even detect surface features on gas giants in our solar system, how do you expect to find life on planets circling stars lightyears away?

And that's hoping they live on the surface, the atmosphere isn't too thick and they actually send out some form of detectable lightwaves...

Back