Pokemon Interesting Pokémon Facts

Bulbasaur may be the first Pokemon in the R/B/Y (and National) Pokedex, but Rhydon is the first in R/B/Y's data. This could explain why so many Pokemon's icons in Gen1 is a Rhydon, and why this is also used for Subsitute.

A kabuto is an actual animal, also known as the Japanese rhinoceros beetle ("kabuto" literally means helmet in Japanese). However, the Pokemon that was clearly based on the actual kabuto beetle is Heracross. Kabuto itself is based on a trilobite.

Ho-oh was the first Gen2 Pokemon to be shown in any media, appearing in the very first episode of the anime, albeit unnamed. It was also the first legendary Pokekmon to appear in the anime, if you don't count Mew and Mewtwo in the opening.

The Dream World was likely planned before Gen5. In Gen3, a scientist in the Devon Corperation office mentions that he is working on a device that would visualize a Pokemon's dreams, but hasn't gotten it to work yet.

Pokemon Crystal is the only main series game to have different system requirements than the other games in its generation. While Gold and Silver are also playable on an original Gameboy or Gameboy Pocket (though not in color), Crystal can only be played on a Gameboy Color or GBA.

Ash is PokeJesus. That's why he doesn't have a father. Arceus came to Ash's mother in a dream and.... are you actually still reading this?

98Greener said:
Guys.
Okay, guys, GUYS.
I figured something out that is TOTALLY unreal.

THESE GUYS:

sina-and-dexio-greetings-route-4.png

ARE THESE DUDES:

pkmny691.JPG

I don't know how, or why, but I can just FEEL it.
It's TOTALLY REAL GUYS.

Way to state the obvious there

Girafarig, Eevee, Ho-Oh, and Alomomola have something and common, guess what that would be.

My Little Keldeo said:
Bulbasaur may be the first Pokemon in the R/B/Y (and National) Pokedex, but Rhydon is the first in R/B/Y's data. This could explain why so many Pokemon's icons in Gen1 is a Rhydon, and why this is also used for Subsitute.
The data number (or hex value) of each Pokémon offers us some other interesting glimpses as well, since they were allegedly roughly sorted in order of creation. A lot of the early designs are based on Rhydon (Kangaskhan is #002, Nidoking #007), which isn't too surprising since Rhydon featured quite prominently in the early concept art (along with other early concept Pokémon like Gengar and Lapras, although these went through some noticeable changes). The first Pokémon not to look like Rhydon at all is Clefairy at #004, which might explain why it was considered as the mascot: it was created at the very beginning, while Pikachu is only #084. I think it might've felt a lot more familiar to the designers.

Shigeki Morimoto also claimed there were originally supposed to be 190 Pokémon, which seems to fit the data as well, since there are 39 hex values which correspond to MissingNo. The 66 remaining hex values lead to far more random and unstable Pokémon. The Gen II Hex values don't seem to give an indication which Pokémon were cut, though, as the MissingNo. hex values were largely filled with baby Pokémon and Steel or Dark Pokémon, which sounds like obvious first additions when thinking of a sequel, but don't really sound like they'd be Pokémon removed from the original games.

The unused default name for Red in the English Generation I games is Ninten while Blue's is Sony.

Several Pokedex entries for Slugma mention that it doesn't sleep. However, this is contradicted by its Emerald entry which states that it sleeps near magma.

Seven is a Color said:
Several Pokedex entries for Slugma mention that it doesn't sleep. However, this is contradicted by its Emerald entry which states that it sleeps near magma.

Yeah, pokedex entries tend to contradict each other anyway.

Fun Fact: No pokedex entry until Fire Red for Charmander in the games says that Charmander will die if its tail flame goes out. Most entries these days state that if the charmander is weak the flame on its tail will be weak and if it is strong the flame will be strong. After that no pokedex entry until Pokemon Y said it.

Did you know that Nidoking looks a bit like this guy and Volcarona looks a bit like a giant moth?

Did you know that Hydreigon's Japanese name Sazandora may be a slight reference to King Ghidorah?

Hydreigon may have been based on the Yamato No Orochi but it may have also gotten inspiration from King Ghidorah and the Hydra too.

In Red/Blue the first and second team Team Rocket uses Ekans, Meowth, and Koffing, which real life counter parts, a snake, a cat, and poison, can all kill mice.
Pikachu is the mouse Pokémon.

NameBlank said:
In Red/Blue the first and second team Team Rocket uses Ekans, Meowth, and Koffing, which real life counter parts, a snake, a cat, and poison, can all kill mice.
Pikachu is the mouse Pokémon.

Isn't that sort of... random? xD

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSJAwndDTds[/video]

In the generation 1 games, Scyther and Pinsir are both considered Rival Pokemon. Both are Bug Types, version exclusives, and found in the Safari Zone. In generation 2, Scyther was given an Evolution in the form of Scizor, while Pinsir didn't. Pinsir and Heracross were considered Rival Pokemon from then on. This seems strange at first, but consider this: Scizor and Heracross were both planned to be in the Generation 1 Games, but were removed. It is possible that Heracross and Pinsir were planned to be Rival Pokemon from the very start, but since Heracross was removed along with Scizor, Scyther filled that gap.

I blew my own mind today...

Delivered. It's a pretty simple word, isn't it? Well while I was waiting to be picked up I started saying random words in my head in a Spanish accent. Let's say "delivered" phonetically as if we were Spanish:

De-Lee-Bear-Ed

Why am I telling you this?

delibird.jpg

Take out the last e and it is literally Delibird! :eek:

This also makes sense since Delibird is Santa's deliverer, so yeah. Coincedence? Probably :x

No, Delibird was intentionally named after the word delivered. If you've seen the anime past the second generation, Team Rocket's delivery service is done by a Delibird. Its also based on Santa (and a penguin), and its tail is actually a sack that can hold things. And its signature move is Present.

If you count mega Pokemon as separate Pokemon then over 50% of dragon Pokemon are legendary or mega Pokemon.

The longest four and the heaviest three Pokemon (including Mega Evolutions) have debuted in the Hoenn Region:
Wailord, Mega Rayquaza, Mega Steelix, Primal Kyogre
Primal Groudon, Groudon, Mega Metagross

Seven is a Color said:
His Goominess said:
Mega Altaria is the only dual type to have a completely different type combination from its first form (Normal/Flying->Dragon/Flying->Dragon/Fairy)

In R/B/Y, its possible to totally miss out one of the Gyms (iirc its the Saffron Gym but I'm not 100% sure) until you get to the badge check gates
You could also do that with Winona in R/S/E.

It's Vermilion. Both that and Fortree allow you to use fly, which isn't required for game completion.

Due to a glitch, psychic was immune to ghost in Gen 1. The anime led us to believe that Psychics feared ghosts, but no.

Shadosharpedo said:
Due to a glitch, psychic was immune to ghost in Gen 1. The anime led us to believe that Psychics feared ghosts, but no.

Wrong.

The only ghost move in GEN 1 was Night Shade, which is a fixed damage move (always deals damage = the user's level) and therefore didn't apply weakness, YET it affected Psychic types. Same is true for Dragon and the only single move it had in GEN 1

I'm not certain it was a glitch or if it was intended; Lick is indeed the only Ghost-type move apart from Night Shade in Gen I, and Psychic-types are immune to it, but whether this was done on purpose or if it was a programming mistake is something I can't say for sure.

-Professor Oak was originally going to be fought in Red and Green, since the beta reveals that his Pokémon had higher levels than the Pokémon that Champion Gary/Blue already has.
-If you do not wish to count the beta above, Professor Sycamore is the first main series Pokémon Professor that can actually be fought throughout X & Y.
-Lisia, a famous Contest Star in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, happens to be the niece of the Sootopolis Gym Leader, Wallace.
-The Kalos Starters, as well as their evolutions are all based off various RPG player classes. (Chespin, Quilladin and Chesnaught are based of paladins. Fennekin, Braixen and Delphox are based off mages. Froakie, Frogadier and Greninja are based off thieves.

I'm not 100% sure of this but i remember reading that Mega Mawhile is the only Pokemon that goes even further beyond the Maximum attack stat.

Back