XY How big would you like the 6 Gen region to be?

I want it to be huge. Because this time the region will actually be, you know, unexplored. I can't stay away from spoilers for the life of me, so the worldwide release was just amazing news. It used to be that I hoped it wasn't too big because it would all be spoiled and I would have a "been there, done that" feeling the whole time.

I'm hoping for a decent sized map. I want diversity the most. I want it to feel like a living world... Heck, I think it would be cool if the world was more "player involved" than just the HMs. For instance, the vine swinging part in the trailer looks like it would be cool if it were in the map and not just a gym if that's the case. I'm curious about what they'll do for items on the ground... Are they going to be flashes of light, or maybe treasure chests like Pokemon Colosseum/XD? I'd really like for them to bring back the "Pokemon follow you" thing back...

As large and dense as possible.

Xous said:
I'd like this region to be the largest one ever (I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who would want a small region), but I'm always worried about space (data) issues when it comes to how large a region can be... Since this game is more graphically demanding than all other main-series handheld games (I'm assuming, I can't imagine it's not), could it mean the region's size must suffer to allow for more room for everything else? Or do Pokémon games actually not use up all of the space they have available?

Pokedex 3D Pro has 3D models of 649+ Pokemon, and it's apparently 375 MB. Do some crazy rounding up, and we'll put that at a nice fat 1 GB. I don't believe Nintendo has ever used the 8 GB card, but they have used the 4 GB for Kid Icarus. If the need calls for it, I'd easily see the 4 GB card being used for XY, leaving lots of room for stuff.

Ideally, I'd like a large map with plenty of cities, towns, and other locales to explore! However, I'm less concerned about size than I am about NOT having another linear region. Unova was great, and provided the first large city in the Pokémon handheld games, but had a huge drawback its linearity. I understand from interviews it was purposely designed that way (for new players), but as this gen feels like the Gen II to Unova's Gen I, I'm hoping for a more complicated map. Makes it feel much more like I'm playing in a real world, ya know?

Only time will tell, but I have high hopes for a decent-sized region!

Something as large, or perhaps larger, than hoenn, and very diverse. I liked the whole volcanic area, oceanic area, Mainland area, and shore area, with 3-4 cities each. There were 15-16 cities in that game! My favorite part of a pokemon game as a new release is exploring the world within the game (aside from monster catching, training, pokedex filling, etc), and for the first time as a 3d world, I would love that world to be massive. 30-40 routes, 20, cities, 5 diverse environment types, lots of post game legenderies to find, but please, keep the new number of added pokemon under 150 this time. Having all those unova pokemon was great, but Nintendo started to go into inanimate object territory, like vanillish and trubbish, so I don't know if game freak can handle that much, despite most pokemon being designed by a different team each generation.

I dunno, I kind of assumed that it would be one region based off France. The pokemon world is large and diverse - they didn't cram Japan into one region, why would they do that with France?

I would like to see a region based off Northern France and the bottom of England. The pointer is around where Paris is:

dn7Kw.jpg

It allows for sea routes and travel to another area.

Will it be possible to have downloadbale content? Like new pokemon, routes or trainers?

oakbark said:
I dunno, I kind of assumed that it would be one region based off France. The pokemon world is large and diverse - they didn't cram Japan into one region, why would they do that with France?

I would like to see a region based off Northern France and the bottom of England. The pointer is around where Paris is:

dn7Kw.jpg

It allows for sea routes and travel to another area.

Will it be possible to have downloadbale content? Like new pokemon, routes or trainers?

From the pic, it seems to be that Southern England will be more like the areas in Sinnoh than a part of a region.

I guess it depends on what they use as a template. They've based regions off whole Japanese islands, and more recently off a small area of New York. So a new region could encompass a small part of France, or a chunk of Europe. Depends!

oakbark said:
I guess it depends on what they use as a template. They've based regions off whole Japanese islands, and more recently off a small area of New York. So a new region could encompass a small part of France, or a chunk of Europe. Depends!

No, New York isn't linear like that, they made it linear because people were complaining about getting lost.

On the issue of region linearity, if you look at the games nowadays, you'll notice that they're constantly pointing out to you where you're supposed to be going, so the idea of having a linear region is kind of redundant in that regard. So I was thinking, what if they could take advantage of this to help less skilled players? On that note, I have an idea that could solve this linearity issue once and for all. What if they had some kind of Key Item like the Fame Checker that records conversations relevant to the storyline? Then whenever you get stuck, you could use it and it would give you a hint as to where to go next? For instance, if it were in BW2, it could record your conversation with Professor Juniper about her wanting you to talk to Drayden in Opelucid City. From there, all it would take is a quick look at the map to figure out how to get to Opelucid City and then you know exactly where you need to go. They could also do the same thing with sidequests, although hints toward sidequests would be in a separate section since they're not important towards the storyline.

I want it to be really small. Ruby and Sapphire were my two favorite games partially because you could beat the game so quickly. I, and many other people, lose interest if the game takes too long to beat.

Bolt the Cat said:
On the issue of region linearity, if you look at the games nowadays, you'll notice that they're constantly pointing out to you where you're supposed to be going, so the idea of having a linear region is kind of redundant in that regard. So I was thinking, what if they could take advantage of this to help less skilled players? On that note, I have an idea that could solve this linearity issue once and for all. What if they had some kind of Key Item like the Fame Checker that records conversations relevant to the storyline? Then whenever you get stuck, you could use it and it would give you a hint as to where to go next? For instance, if it were in BW2, it could record your conversation with Professor Juniper about her wanting you to talk to Drayden in Opelucid City. From there, all it would take is a quick look at the map to figure out how to get to Opelucid City and then you know exactly where you need to go. They could also do the same thing with sidequests, although hints toward sidequests would be in a separate section since they're not important towards the storyline.
Uh... it's linear so children who can't read (English) won't get lost really. You know, in many places the games are released in a non-native language. Anyone who can read (English) will never get lost in a Pokémon game. That item wouldn't help anyone.

GHJamesGH said:
I want it to be really small. Ruby and Sapphire were my two favorite games partially because you could beat the game so quickly. I, and many other people, lose interest if the game takes too long to beat.

Hoenn isn't that small, in fact it's pretty big, especially with the ocean. Kanto and Unova are pretty small.

Teal said:
Bolt the Cat said:
Uh... it's linear so children who can't read (English) won't get lost really. You know, in many places the games are released in a non-native language. Anyone who can read (English) will never get lost in a Pokémon game. That item wouldn't help anyone.

Still, the option would be helpful to some I'm sure, you wouldn't have to use it if you didn't want to. I often forget where I'm supposed to be going in a new Pokemon game if I'm busy and can't play for a few days.

Aquapulse said:
GHJamesGH said:

Hoenn isn't that small, in fact it's pretty big, especially with the ocean. Kanto and Unova are pretty small.
Are you KIDDING me?

BW + B2W2 VS RS + Emerald:
Unova has 20 towns, Hoenn has 16.
Unova has 72 routes + landmarks, Hoenn has 61.

Teal said:
Aquapulse said:
Are you KIDDING me?

BW + B2W2 VS RS + Emerald:
Unova has 20 towns, Hoenn has 16.
Unova has 72 routes + landmarks, Hoenn has 61.

Huh. It's felt pretty small journey to me. xP

Teal said:

Words cannot describe how stupid a decision that is. It helps no one to dumb down the games for the sake of a peripheral audience. If there's so many of these people complaining about games not being released in their native language, that's a sign that they need to start making them in that language. If not, then it's the player's fault for playing a game they clearly won't be able to understand.

Hoenn felt so big cause of how large the routes were especially the water routes. I felt Hoenn was exceptionally well paced in my opinion so was Unova.

Bolt the Cat said:
Words cannot describe how stupid a decision that is. It helps no one to dumb down the games for the sake of a peripheral audience. If there's so many of these people complaining about games not being released in their native language, that's a sign that they need to start making them in that language. If not, then it's the player's fault for playing a game they clearly won't be able to understand.
It's not the player's fault if games won't get translated into their language... but yeah I think that it's really stupid too.

Teal said:
It's not the player's fault if games won't get translated into their language... but yeah I think that it's really stupid too.

It's a sad reality that Game Freak can't serve the needs of every single person around the world, so if not enough people demand a localization of the games into their language, it won't happen. If they live in a place where Pokemon isn't popular, then it is their fault for dragging down the games' quality to suit the needs of a minority of fans.

Back