XY How big would you like the 6 Gen region to be?

Bolt the Cat said:
It's a sad reality that Game Freak can't serve the needs of every single person around the world, so if not enough people demand a localization of the games into their language, it won't happen. If they live in a place where Pokemon isn't popular, then it is their fault for dragging down the games' quality to suit the needs of a minority of fans.
This is not about Pokémon. This is about videogames in general. Normal videogames are only released in about 7 languages: Japanese, Korean, English, German, Italy, French, Spanish. Chinese, dunno.

Bolt the Cat said:
On the issue of region linearity, if you look at the games nowadays, you'll notice that they're constantly pointing out to you where you're supposed to be going, so the idea of having a linear region is kind of redundant in that regard. So I was thinking, what if they could take advantage of this to help less skilled players? On that note, I have an idea that could solve this linearity issue once and for all. What if they had some kind of Key Item like the Fame Checker that records conversations relevant to the storyline? Then whenever you get stuck, you could use it and it would give you a hint as to where to go next? For instance, if it were in BW2, it could record your conversation with Professor Juniper about her wanting you to talk to Drayden in Opelucid City. From there, all it would take is a quick look at the map to figure out how to get to Opelucid City and then you know exactly where you need to go. They could also do the same thing with sidequests, although hints toward sidequests would be in a separate section since they're not important towards the storyline.

Not sure about that, but I could see them making the Town Map really fancy, with markers of where you have to go and where sidequests are.

Something I liked about Hoenn and the older Gens, is that the bad guys and rivals appeared occasionally, yet you still had the freedom to explore the region on your own. Unova was awful in that regard - you had Cheren, Bianca, Gym Leaders and Team Plasma interrupting you every second step of your journey. At times, I felt smothered by their presence everywhere.

It wasn't the linearity of Unova that I hated - it was the way everything you did was pre-organised. In Hoenn, you met your rival/bad guys rarely. I could explore Rustboro and Dewford and Slateport and not run into someone every two seconds forcing me to do something. In fact, up until after Slateport you only meet some grunts and your rival twice I think. It made me feel like I was actually exploring. Unova was Cheren battle, Bianca battle, N battle, Plasma battle continuously.

oakbark said:
Something I liked about Hoenn and the older Gens, is that the bad guys and rivals appeared occasionally, yet you still had the freedom to explore the region on your own. Unova was awful in that regard - you had Cheren, Bianca, Gym Leaders and Team Plasma interrupting you every second step of your journey. At times, I felt smothered by their presence everywhere.

It wasn't the linearity of Unova that I hated - it was the way everything you did was pre-organised. In Hoenn, you met your rival/bad guys rarely. I could explore Rustboro and Dewford and Slateport and not run into someone every two seconds forcing me to do something. In fact, up until after Slateport you only meet some grunts and your rival twice I think. It made me feel like I was actually exploring. Unova was Cheren battle, Bianca battle, N battle, Plasma battle continuously.

I can see that for BW1, but not BW2. BW1 went overboard because there were 3 rivals: Cheren, Bianca, and N, and they all popped up quite often meaning you were constantly harassed by one or more of them. BW2 only had 1 rival, and he wasn't as bothersome despite appearing about as much as the others.

True, they did rectify it a little with BW2.

I prefer an even more hands-off approach though, like in Hoenn or Johto. It takes away from the fun when your rival or an assistant 'leads the way' with every little event that happens. Even if the routes are linear, if you get to figure things out on your own it's still quite fun.

oakbark said:

I prefer an even more hands-off approach though, like in Hoenn or Johto. It takes away from the fun when your rival or an assistant 'leads the way' with every little event that happens. Even if the routes are linear, if you get to figure things out on your own it's still quite fun.

Well as long as they feel players are getting lost throughout the region, they'll probably keep doing that.

oakbark said:

I disagreed. Hugh's a pain in my neck. Screaming and all. Gawd.

Aquapulse said:
I disagreed. Hugh's a pain in my neck. Screaming and all. Gawd.

Yeah, I preferred when rivals were people you battled occasionally on your journey, as opposed to BFFs with baggage.

Back