Ho-oh EX Variants

Linadra said:
I honestly don't have that bad of a time with Blastoise when I run a Tornadus focus.

Tornadus EX was a pretty nice answer to the Blastoise deck before Plasma Storm released.

But now that it has, the deck doesn't have an answer to Black Kyurem EX destroying Tornadus in one shot.

dmaster out.

Mora said:
What does have an answer to Black Kyurem..? Other than Rayquaza and Garchomp.

If you are gutsy you could try and go for a Zoroark BW counter to it. IDK how well it would work with Catcher but its something. Kinda.

Mora said:
What does have an answer to Black Kyurem..?

That's kind of my point...

This deck has nothing to even stand up to it IMO. At least Darkrai can potentially snipe/Laser to soften it up and take it out with minimal losses.

dmaster out.

venasour x said:
If you are gutsy you could try and go for a Zoroark BW counter to it. IDK how well it would work with Catcher but its something. Kinda.

That's awesome. I doubt it would be viable, but that's still awesome.

dmaster said:
That's kind of my point...

This deck has nothing to even stand up to it IMO. At least Darkrai can potentially snipe/Laser to soften it up and take it out with minimal losses.

dmaster out.

I guess non EX Pokemon would help the prize trade, but why would they create a card that can take OHKO's on everything without also giving us some way to counter it. It seems like everyone will either be playing Black Ballista because anything else doesn't cut it, or Klinklang because it doesn't care that Black Kyurem can OHKO everything. What are other decks doing to prepare for Black Kyurem?

What I'm saying is this deck (in particularly) has no attackers that can currently deal with it. Yeah, normal Pokemon can 2HKO it, but they are weak against most of the other decks, Mewtwo does nothing, etc. Other decks either have something built in, or have enough raw power to overwhelm the Blastoise deck as a whole and other decks as well. I'm not even dealing with the other decks right now (why would I be in the Ho-Oh thread...). I'm only dealing with Ho-Oh and how it fares in the current meta. So far, I'm not seeing enough reasons to continue with this deck anymore as I've posted in here quite a few times and have not gotten anything even reasonable or viable.

dmaster out.

The only real straight forward counter to BKEX is Giratina EX or Baby Ray or should I say the Dragon's "Shred" attack. The only problem is sharging it up in time. The Energy Switch for this deck will be much more conserved, along with the Ace Spec (your choice). What's worse, if you manage to OHKO one BKEX, another will most likely be right behind it, so play it right.

dmaster said:
I'm not even dealing with the other decks right now (why would I be in the Ho-Oh thread...). I'm only dealing with Ho-Oh and how it fares in the current meta.
dmaster out.

My point was, if Black Kyurem really is this terrible monster it's been made out to be (which I think it it), it seems like it would make all EX's (bar things like Klinklang) unplayable and not just Ho-Oh. It's relevant to analyze what factors make other decks viable despite having the same basic problem as Ho-Oh--attacking with EX's (some of them being Mewtwo).

Guys, Black Kyurem is not an issue for Ho-Oh as much as it is Keldeo. Running 2-3 Bouff + Cathering it unprepared can really dent them, and get rid of consistency. IDK though.

MrGatr said:
Guys, Black Kyurem is not an issue for Ho-Oh as much as it is Keldeo. Running 2-3 Bouff + Cathering it unprepared can really dent them, and get rid of consistency. IDK though.
That's why they only drop it when they take a KO.

dmaster said:
Linadra said:
I honestly don't have that bad of a time with Blastoise when I run a Tornadus focus.

Tornadus EX was a pretty nice answer to the Blastoise deck before Plasma Storm released.

But now that it has, the deck doesn't have an answer to Black Kyurem EX destroying Tornadus in one shot.

dmaster out.

An eviolited Tornadus with Aspertia has 210 health, but that's with hoping that you have your stadium up instead of theirs. (Which isn't that big of a hope)

The deck never really had that much room for Stadiums before but that is one option I guess if you can fit it. My lists didn't even have that much room for Eviolite before (and it would be hard now especially considering it's a lesser used and severely weakened card now that Laser is out).

dmaster out.

Linadra said:
dmaster said:

dmaster out.

An eviolited Tornadus with Aspertia has 210 health, but that's with hoping that you have your stadium up instead of theirs. (Which isn't that big of a hope)
I'd rather have Virbank as a stadium, as it's not just good in that one unlikely scenario. Aspertia no longer will make Darkrai 3HKO you, as most lists are running Dark Claw and/or HTL.

Virbank would be decent if you could fit Lasers as well. Good luck with that and still keeping it consistent lol. (Feel free to prove me wrong come States. ;p)

I actually prefer other Stadiums over Virbank in most decks that play Lasers not named Darkrai. That way, you can abuse your opponent's Virbanks if they play it while still having counter Stadiums to opponent's Virbanks should you want it or even opposing Tropical Beaches. I will admit Aspertia is really only good against Blastoise and that's still factoring in that you need Eviolites too.

dmaster out.

I played my Ho-Oh list against a Darkrai Virbank Mewtwo list and beat him. I ran 3 Aspertia to counter his Virbank and it worked well. I must say that I have yet to test it against a BKEX though...

venasour x said:
I played my Ho-Oh list against a Darkrai Virbank Mewtwo list and beat him. I ran 3 Aspertia to counter his Virbank and it worked well. I must say that I have yet to test it against a BKEX though...

Just playing around in leagues and smaller places.. I've yet to run into someone who ran BKEX correctly (meaning that they put him out BEFORE he could get the KO in and I was able to knock it out with him only taking 1 prize card) but I know that will change come states.

I only run 2 Aspertia, do you run lasers as well or what?

r0naLd222 said:
so is it really not advisable to run this deck now?

I guess it depends on who you ask.. I still run mine with success.. but I guess we'll know the answer after States.

Back