Has this ever really happened to you with someone?

o0Flint0o

Aspiring Trainer
Ok here's the deal;
The other day, I was out at the comic book shop during a weekly Pokemon League. The first person I see that wants to play is a kid who looks like he's in middle school. This kid was pretty...well...RUDE. Well, he describes a lot of things as a "Moron". I mean, it's nice he's not cursing or swearing...But calling things a moron? I still feel it's no better.
Anyway, we start. The first time he shuffles, I cut his deck, of course. In the process, he says, "Don't touch my cards!". He plainly knows what I was doing, since I saw him battle other people. (Although, he didn't do all of this) Next, I feel he was acting dumb. He plays two energies in one turn (Without any acceleration!), and when I say what he did wrong, he said, "You can't?" and looked at me funny. When I pick up his card to see what it says real quick. (He was going a bit too fast for me.) Again, he says "Don't touch my cards!" and continues to go with his turn as I look at the card, so I got lost when I put the card down.

Weirdly, it was nearly the same situation with my friend when he battled him.

I'm not used to these kinds of situations. I don't want to be rude back to anyone in general; it's not really in my nature.
This wasn't during any tournament either, so there were no judges to say anything or give any penalty.
Well, have you guys ever had a bad experience like this?

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
Does "picking up and looking at the other player's cards without asking" count?
I've had that a few times.

I'm going to guess your age division is Seniors or something? My company is usually Masters and Juniors since I'm a League Leader, and most of us tend to be well-behaved; I haven't really seen much poor card etiquette lately (but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

o0Flint0o

Aspiring Trainer
We don't really divide each other in age division in my league...Everybody just battles anybody, basically. I read that after June 9th, 1997 is included in the Masters division. (I don't completely know if that is true though, it's from a Virginia pokemon site.)
And well, I don't think picking up someone else's card when they play it is rude...

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Not asking before picking up your opponent's cards isn't exactly a commonly-done thing unless you know the guy really well. I, as well as everybody else I know, always ask before searching the opponent's discard pile, reading a card, etc. I usually even do this with my close friends.

Depending on what he was "describing as moron", that could be viewed as rude or not. I've described things as far worse than that, but not when it's uncalled for.

It seems like it was just a bad situation in general. If you're bothered by the guy, don't play him again.

o0Flint0o

Aspiring Trainer
Huh. I guess I should ask first.
Well, in the optimistic way, that's one more step to a better community.

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I probably would have done the same thing too if I were at a tournament since I never go anyway LOLz. Anyway it all depends on who your opponent is really. Some are much more picky than others. You are bound to run into them from time to time. He was probably just starting out too XD.:)

[email protected]

Aspiring Trainer
I'd ask before I touched someone's cards. When we play, on occasion if it's a new card we might not have seen, il ask 'do you mind' and if they're ok with it, take a look.

Milky

4 Mewtwo 4 Revive 48 Energy 4 DCE
Mewtwo DCE.

Thanks for making my Mewtwo more powerful by breaking the rules and attaching more energy to your pathetically weak rogue deck.

Curious, what deck was he using?

I only get mad if they riffle shuffle or potato mash my cards. Then we have a problem.

Spidy

Aspiring Trainer
Milky said:
Mewtwo DCE.

Thanks for making my Mewtwo more powerful by breaking the rules and attaching more energy to your pathetically weak rogue deck.

Curious, what deck was he using?

I only get mad if they riffle shuffle or potato mash my cards. Then we have a problem.

i was playing someone once at a tournament, offered for them to cut, they shuffled instead(which i have no problem with, he has the option to shuffle my deck)

but he had to be the roughest shuffler ive seen

all i could do was just be like "think you could be a little less rough with MY cards?"

Secret Pikachu

Aspiring Trainer
I would imagine that it's a bit rude to handle someone else's cards without asking. With that said, it seems like the person you were playing was a bit rude. Either they were trying to pull a fast one or they just didn't know how to play when they attempted to attach more than one energy during their turn. The best thing you can do at this point is to never play with him again!

Shiningmilotic

dipped my hair in the wild berry skittles rainbow!
lol yeah that happens a lot in my league. There are only a few players that are close to my age so the rest are little kids who really dont know what they are doing LOL they get all excited over a holo jolteon card and a few have thrown a fit at me for winning a battle or not trading my ex cards with them. Some kids will ask to see my deck in the middle of battling someone or blare out what kinda cards I have in my hand when im battling. Most of the kids dont really know you cant do that so I dont mind, but one kid in particular is a fat 12 yr old and he thinks hes all BA at pokemon. He steals people's cards all the time and is super-rude saying he wants to punch this little boy at my league in the face because he had a fake card ( like a little boy could tell the difference, come on he was 5....) He tries to be all big and tough but he is just a pest -_- He looooves to steal cards its ridiculous. Being 20 and a responsible adult, I had a little "talk" with him and he was still so rude to the little ones at my league, I mean like the really little ones it pisses me off so I usually stay around the little kids and keep an eye on them while their parents shop ( league is at a walmart) Theres also another girl who will cry if you trade her a common card and she wants it back 2 months later or if you dont wanna trade her at all -_- she is like 11 and is usually very nice but if she doesnt get her way she gets really annoying with the whining and crying. lol some of these kids make me sad but I enjoy my league, its always interesting and you never know who is gonna show up.

Milky

4 Mewtwo 4 Revive 48 Energy 4 DCE
That's interesting, my league is typically a gathering of all the players that really separate the rubble from the actual marble. These are the sorts of people you have to really look out for, they can turn your 7-0 streak against all the little kiddies and their Dakrai variants at BR into 6-1 2nd place spots. Thy really turn a lot of the luck portion of the game into strategy and experience, and that is incredible especially considering Pokemon is not a skill oriented game. Granted, there are very few children with water decks that haven't any energy acceleration and they're fun to play against, but none are whiny, steal cards, cry if you trade with them and they regret it or bloat out the cards in your hand, although you do get the occasional "Woah, he has 4 Mewtwo EX Full Art!

MrGatr

Goin Rogue Baby :DDD
There's a kid like that at our league, he rarely shows up, but he cheats horribly. I don't know if having you older bro make decisions form you when you're almost 13 is illegal but it ought to be.

But I have had some major issue's with kids cutting my deck, that's why I quit playing kids in the Juniors division or inexperienced Mastres/Seniors, and play the older guys at my league who are generally much nicer.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
o0Flint0o said:
We don't really divide each other in age division in my league...Everybody just battles anybody, basically.
That's also the same situation in my league. I'm just saying that most of the people who go to my league are Masters or Juniors...although one of the Juniors is graduating to Seniors this year, and I wish him well. (He's the coolest Junior I've ever met.)

For Juniors, they're...well, relatively well-behaved, but we also try to teach proper game etiquette at League as well. There's even a 5-year-old regular at our League, and although he's a little silly, he still has good game etiquette.

It's mostly something that needs to be taught - if no one ever tells you how to be respectful, odds are you won't do it on your own unless you want to. And, for Seniors and Juniors, that doesn't happen often.

tanker

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly I see letting your opponent pick up and look at your cards as a part of the game and I have no problem with it, but some poeple are REALLY picky about it so I usually as.

Torterror

Worlds biggest Gardevoir fan!
o0Flint0o said:
We don't really divide each other in age division in my league...Everybody just battles anybody, basically. I read that after June 9th, 1997 is included in the Masters division. (I don't completely know if that is true though, it's from a Virginia pokemon site.)
And well, I don't think picking up someone else's card when they play it is rude...

What league do you attend in VA? Richmond?

cannonballkuriboh

Aspiring Trainer
It doesn't matter what game you play-people will be rude. It's just a matter of taking a breath, reminding yourself that you only have to deal with it for a few more minutes, and proceed to play as hard as you can for the satisfaction of taking the win.

I personally ask permission to read anything my opponent has, and if they are going to fast, I will ask them to take me through their turn step-by-step so I can catch up. I know it can be time consuming, but making sure that everything is in order is crucial to making sure the game is played fairly. One thing I've actually done (which did annoy the guy I was playing) was sit there and 'tank at the end of his turn, going over every move he made in my head, just to make sure it was all legit.

If you think that they're purposely being shady, just don't play them. If it's a tournament (where you don't have that option), watch them like a hawk, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Secret Pikachu

Aspiring Trainer
@cannonballkuriboh: That is some great advice!

I haven't played any TCG matches against anyone other than my girlfriend and one of our friends, however I don't think you it should be frowned upon to look at another player's cards as long as you ensure that they are okay with it beforehand. Also, try not to make it a big hinderance on the game; don't spend several minutes reading the cards in play/their discard pile, etc.

Hopefully if you are polite and respectful to others, they will be polite and respectful to you!