Harry Potter Discussion Thread

Prisoner of Azkaban book and movie hower favorite characters in movies were Snape and Bellatrix awesome actors. Book fave character was neville.

Edit: neville was too young to deserve a capitol leter :p

Have any of you guys heard of the 'Ron is Dumbledore' theory?

If not, google it and check it out. it blew my mind the first time I read it, and some parts make a lot of sense. That said, there are a couple holes, but for the most part it's solid and there isn't any damning evidence against it. Since Rowling doesn't really mention anything to affirm it, it probably wasn't her intention, but it's still a cool theory nonetheless.

Scizorliscious said:

If not, google it and check it out. it blew my mind the first time I read it, and some parts make a lot of sense. That said, there are a couple holes, but for the most part it's solid and there isn't any damning evidence against it. Since Rowling doesn't really mention anything to affirm it, it probably wasn't her intention, but it's still a cool theory nonetheless.

Actually, Rowling specifically debunked the rumour/theory on her website in 2005: "Your inventiveness knows no bounds, and I do not mean that sarcastically; these theories open up exhilarating new vistas of possibility… but they’re wrong. Could it be that by speculating that Harry/Ron becomes Dumbledore, you are seeking reassurance that neither dies young?"

It's a fun "theory" to read (just like the Ash in a coma Pokémon anime theory), but definitely not true, as said by the author herself.

Scizorliscious said:

That requires Time Travel, De-aging, and Amnesia.

De-aging
We know Ron lives to be in his late thirties. If he time traveled then, you would think the Dumbledore family would notice the oldest son is in forties, when he should only be a child.

Amnesia
Then when he gets back there, he would have to develop Amnesia. How else can you explain Dumbledore repeating his mistakes - allowing his sister to die? not stopping Tom Riddle? allowing Harry's family to die?

I would hurl an insult at that theory, but I feel the need to bang my head against the wall.

Helena Bonham Carter. 'Nuff said. :3

No, seriously, she's a damn GENIUS as Bellatrix, definitely my fave character.

Book 2, 4 and 7 are the best ones. Also, as movies, they're the best ones.

British actors/producers are amazing, I've never seen such well executed movie adaptions as I have with the HP series. I read all of the books back in the day and was never disappointed after watching their film counterparts as I am when reading/watching say, Percy Jackson or something.

Bellatrix/Helena UGH just marry me. Such an extremely gifted actress. I hate Umbridge's guts but admittedly she had perfect acting too. And of course, who can hate Maggie Smith?

My all time low of the series was when the old Dumbledore actor, Richard Harris, passed away and they had to recast. He made the most perfect Dumbledore you could ever ask for, and instead of the new guy they should have gotten Gandalf to play Dumbledore, imo.

RE: Harry Potter official discussion thread

Reshiwott said:
Nearly finished Prisoner of Askaban a second time, Goblet of Fire next :3

Second?

I must have read the entire series more than 20 times.... I lost count at 19 whilst on Order of the Phoenix, and whenever I'm bored it's just like 'wheres the Philosopher's Stone again?'

Anyways, my favorite book is a tie between Chamber of Secrets or Goblet of Fire.

My favorite magical animal in the series is a 3 way tie between the Basilisk, Buckbeak or Aragog.
I love all the secrecy surrouding the Basilisk, Harry keeps on hearing its voice but has no idea what it is
Buckbeak is just plain awesome
Aragog I really like; he's a giant sentient spider. (I love spiders) He also provides crucial info to Harry and Ron in CoS, even if he does then tell his children to eat them.
Thats one of the things I love more about him; even tho he's portrayed to be antagonistic (and thats like the most obvious part of the film), in the grand scheme of things his info proves immensely crucial.

My favorite character is Bellatrix. She's an evil psychotic fighter capable of supreme evil. I also remember somewhere that J.K Rowling confirmed that she only married Rodolphus out of Blood Status; the real love of her life was indeed Voldemort.

I also love the Cho X Dudley theory. Google it.

Favorite character:
Draco or Hermione. (It would definitely be Draco if Emma Watson didn't exist). Let's leave it at that.

Favorite House: Slytherin for life <3
I even have a Slytherin shirt.

Favorite Movie: Half Blood Prince.

Favorite Book: Hmm...Half Blood Prince again probably.

and as weird as this sounds, I get super emotional whenever I read the series, PARTLY because of all those nostalgic feelings, but also a large part because whenever I read anything related to hermione, I think of Emma Watson, and then I just lose it (I'm that in love with Emma Watson).

My favorite character? Snape as a kid.

Favorite house? On Pottermore I got Gryffindor, but I prefer Ravenclaw.

Best book and movie? Prisoner of Azkaban. Deathly Hallows Part 2 would've been cooler if it followed the book.

omahanime said:
Scizorliscious said:

De-aging
We know Ron lives to be in his late thirties. If he time traveled then, you would think the Dumbledore family would notice the oldest son is in forties, when he should only be a child.

Amnesia
Then when he gets back there, he would have to develop Amnesia. How else can you explain Dumbledore repeating his mistakes - allowing his sister to die? not stopping Tom Riddle? allowing Harry's family to die?

I would hurl an insult at that theory, but I feel the need to bang my head against the wall.

Ron COULD have de-aged - we see his brothers try to age themselves in the fourth book, there's no reason it couldn't work backwards. Alternatively, Dumbledore's past is hazy; it's not necessarily true that everything stated in the book was the complete truth. If Ron had traveled back in time, he could have created a fake past and fake memories in others (eg Bathilda Bagshot) to make sure his being there appeared natural.

Dumbledore/Ron would HAVE to repeat his mistakes for fear of creating a paradox. If he saves Harry's parents or stops Riddle, young Ron would not have any reason to go back into the past, meaning Dumbledore COULDN'T have saved Harry's parents or stopped Riddle. Ron knows everything works out in the end, so he goes back in time to keep it that way.

I guess what I'm saying is that
omahanime said:
is true in that, yes, it requires time travel and possibly de-aging, which are both perfectly legitimate in Harry Potter. Instead of amnesia, Dumbledore could be perfectly aware of what's happened/going to happen and just be there to make sure it does for fear of creating a paradox.

Artemis said:
Scizorliscious said:

Actually, Rowling specifically debunked the rumour/theory on her website in 2005: "Your inventiveness knows no bounds, and I do not mean that sarcastically; these theories open up exhilarating new vistas of possibility… but they’re wrong. Could it be that by speculating that Harry/Ron becomes Dumbledore, you are seeking reassurance that neither dies young?"

It's a fun "theory" to read (just like the Ash in a coma Pokémon anime theory), but definitely not true, as said by the author herself.

Right, so it's not Rowling's intention to have it read that way, but I'm still a fan of the idea. Certainly not canon, but it would make a good fanfic.

Books are always better than their movie/tv counterparts, but one thing I liked with the HP movie's literary license, was removing the part where Harry breaks up with Ginny.

I always thought it was pointless, and unnecessary heartbreak. Like Voldemort doesn't already know you like Ginny? Like Voldemort wouldn't want to kill her because of her father? Like Voldemort would no longer want to kill her because Harry "broke up" with her? Voldemort knows that Harry is compassionate and that he'd still care even if he broke up with her, if something were to happen to her.

So what, really, was the point of breaking up with her if it served no purpose but [temporarily] hurting Ginny's feelings, if he just married her in the end anyway?

PS. Ginny <3
(Newton's 4th Law of Physics: "Redheads are hotter than their non-redhead female counterparts.")

Very very exciting news!

Warner Bros have announced that they are making a new film series based on J.K Rowling's HP spinoff, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them!
It will neither be a prequel or sequel to the HP series, it will take place before Harry's story. (its either 7 years or 70, can't quite remember :p)

I personally can't wait, I really really want to see more of the Basilisk (and the Acromantula)

P.DelSlayer said:
Very very exciting news!

Warner Bros have announced that they are making a new film series based on J.K Rowling's HP spinoff, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them!
It will neither be a prequel or sequel to the HP series, it will take place before Harry's story. (its either 7 years or 70, can't quite remember :p)

I personally can't wait, I really really want to see more of the Basilisk (and the Acromantula)

Dude I can't wait. I'm so excited and i just can't hide it.

I would like to see Voldemort's rise to power, but I don't think this movie will include it. /:

zappy800 said:
Serperior said:
I would like to see Voldemort's rise to power, but I don't think this movie will include it. /:

Wait is it a movie or is it a TV show?

I think this is a film series.

I think this is pretty much confirmed not to include any Voldemort.
It takes place in New York, 70 years before Harry's story. I'm pretty sure Voldemort would not be in 1920s New York, I think he would've probably only been a child at the time of this film.

However, a potential movie series with Voldey's rise to power and everything would be amazing.

P.DelSlayer said:
zappy800 said:
Wait is it a movie or is it a TV show?

I think this is a film series.

I think this is pretty much confirmed not to include any Voldemort.
It takes place in New York, 70 years before Harry's story. I'm pretty sure Voldemort would not be in 1920s New York, I think he would've probably only been a child at the time of this film.

However, a potential movie series with Voldey's rise to power and everything would be amazing.

So basically we get to see american wizards cool. Obviously they are going to a different school or at least went to one.

P.DelSlayer said:
Very very exciting news!

It would be much easier to do a sequel.

Familiar said:
P.DelSlayer said:
Very very exciting news!

I think that the series ended on a good note; everything was fine, they all got married and had children, the end.

I think that making the story of FB&WTFD standalone to Harry's story was the best choice - in the book of FB&WTFD, there are like, no people from the story we all know and love. It would be introducing a totally new cast, with no one from the old cast.
The only person who could feasibly come into this film who we already know would be Luna Lovegood; this is only because she marries Newt Scamander's grandson. However even this seems like a very huge stretch.

Making it standalone was possibly the best choice they made with this series.

P.DelSlayer said:
Familiar said:

I think that the series ended on a good note; everything was fine, they all got married and had children, the end.

I meant was it would be easier to do any type of sequel in the present than do wardrobe and props for 100 years ago.

Back