General Writing Discussion Thread | Current Topic: NaNoWriMo

RE: Writer's Lounge

regigigas said:
Lol I know right? They're both really messed-up stories...and I wrote them on the notepad thing...
There's no shame in using a "primitive" text editor. The simpler, then better, imo.

I've been using the same MS Word 2000 program that I've had since my family got our first real computer at the end of 1999. I've just reinstalled it in different PCs.

I use WordPad and MS Word for my writing. That word-count tool in MS Word is awesome... Saves me lots of time.

Oh good, now I don't feel so archaic and old-school for using Word 2003 for everything.

@DNA: The older Word programs were what I used on PCs in my high school anyways. I didn't see a point in upgrading when the newer ones were basically the same anyhow.

I originally started with Word 97, then my mum bought a copy of Office 2003, so I figured I might as well. It's the same, it just looks cleaner. But I know that some people tend to use Office 2007 and up, so I went and downloaded the patch that allows me to read the newer Office files. No big deal, really.

Besides the word count tool, I have never really found a reason to use any MS Word product.

Don't forget spell check silly :p

I prefer MS Word 2012 (I get it from my school for projects) it is helpful for the navigation, and better button style.

Anyways, I need someone to scrutinize every detail of my new Chapter for All Is Fair In Love And War quickly, I think it's ready to go.

Martini said:
Anyways, I need someone to scrutinize every detail of my new Chapter for All Is Fair In Love And War quickly, I think it's ready to go.
Just post it if you're done proofreading.

I was wondering something today when I was finishing Chapter Two of Biohazard. Is it bad to skimp on the description of side characters (i.e. ones that don't seriously impact a story)? I realize that I actually do this a lot, especially when a character that only appears once as a filler.

I tend to. My usual rule of thumb is that whoever interacts with the main characters should be given a description.

If the character doesn't matter and only appears once or twice, I generally skimp. Why bother describing them in elaborate detail if you're probably never going to see them again?

In my most recent project (you‘ll see it soon), I‘m skimping a lot on descriptions. I have an excuse, however, because it centers on events and setting rather than characters.

In general, though, I feel every character deserves at least a short sentence of description.

I guess I can't feel too bad about just making quick references to Pelipper without talking about what they look like in Biohazard then, especially since they have a brief cameo in chapter two. I was just concerned since I basically broke my cardinal rule about description by only referencing their species and nothing else.

Pokemon are a bit of a different story, because if you know the species, you don‘t need a description. In this case, I would only mention it‘s a bird with a large bill.

Has anyone ever contemplated of adding in a critiquing system for writers seeking to get feedback on their story?

Back