General Writing Discussion Thread | Current Topic: NaNoWriMo

RE: Writer's Lounge

Guy89 said:
In December and January, I'm planning to start proofreading , editing, and posting it here.

I'll keep an eye out for it then when you do finally post it.

In all honesty, I had no idea about National Novel Writing Month until CH mentioned it to me last year. However, I have no interest or patience for it, since I've spent the better part of three years trying to complete Feral Twilight and Biohazard, and yet still have to get either past Chapter Five. >_<

I probably wouldn't do it ever in my life because you cannot rush perfection. If you try you end up with garbage.
Sarcasm aside...yeah, I don't like to rush my writing. I have no deadlines to meet, and I want to spend as much time as I can to make my stories the best they can be.

Ok...
Apollo I would need to get you to help me get a copy of my ms word doc online....
(It has pictures, and GFX, for good looks ;D)

@everone else....
I wouldn't ever do it
for reasons unknown

If it's a story/update/essay/etc. for here, you'll have to copy-and-paste the text portions into a new post or thread. The images you'll have to save as separate files on your computer, upload to an image hosting site like Photobucket, and then link them with image tags in the exact spots where they were supposed to be in the MS Word doc. Otherwise, there's nothing else I say that would probably be of much help. (Well, there is the option of uploading files as Attachments to posts, but it's not recommended since it's more of a nuisance than its worth.)

So I was talking to Shining Raikou about how I wanted to be a writer and how my dad is opposing that. My dad thinks that I'm going to fall flat, that it's too much of a risk to pull off. He told me last night to pick a college major "that makes sense." So Raikou showed me this speech made by Elizabeth Gilbert, the author of Eat, Pray, Love. So I watched it and I felt a lot better about trying to become a writer. So what do you guys think? Is it worth trying to make writing your career?

Here's the speech: Elizabeth Gilbert on nurturing creativity

First, Eat, Pray, Love is an amazing book/movie. Second, you should totally go for whatever career you want. A lot of times people won't agree with whatever you'd like to be, but if you enjoy it and it's what you want to do, it's your choice.

NVM, I just deleted the gfx part...
It didn't work anyways...
DUMB MS WORD!

@The topic @ hand
My mom wouldn't ever say that I shouldn't write!
She actually likes reads all of my work, and kept one of my books from first grade...
She's like freaky proud of my creativity, probably because my siblings can't write!

EDIT:
He guys, you should all check out the games, there in my sig!

One problem with taking up writing as a career is that you might not always make a lot of money at it. This is something I've actually been told by people for years, including a few published writers I've met and one of my college professors. If you're not going to find something to supplement it (probably on the lines of writing articles for newspapers/magazines/etc.), then it may as well be a side thing rather than a career.

Unless you know you're good (without being arrogant, which is the hard part), prepare a life of suffering. I think the problem with having a career of art is that there's essentially no "middle." You either become one of the most prominent people of the world or you face harsh, unrewarding, obscurity. As much as I'm sure writing is your passion, get a backup plan. Find something that you don't mind doing and make an available path for that as a career as well. So if you can't seem to get a hit with publishers over some time, you still have a financial net to fall on with your other occupation.

I'm debating one what theme to use for the next haiku contest that would be good for Thanksgiving, but ones that come to mind are all religious-based and might not go over well because of that. Does anyone have suggestions that might be better?

Indian-like haiku. Not sure if that exists, as I don't know a lot about haiku. (No offense) ;)

Apollo the Incinermyn said:
I'm debating one what theme to use for the next haiku contest that would be good for Thanksgiving, but ones that come to mind are all religious-based and might not go over well because of that. Does anyone have suggestions that might be better?

Do something with food. No one hates food.

:D

@LPG: Haikus are perhaps the simplest form of poetry since they only use the alternating "five-seven-five" syllables per line format, but were initially supposed to just be about nature (as carried over from their Japanese origin). Different adaptations and modifications have been made over time, particularly within American versions of the poem style.

Anyways, food or traditions might work. Indian-themed ones might be a stretch, unless they're about giving thanks to the Earth for bountiful harvests or something on the lines of that.

I agree with Hatman. Or maybe you could do something like what you specifically do at Thanksgiving that isn't directly considered "religious"-like (like sitting at the table and waiting to be served, or how you feel after you eat your food), but food is definitely an option.

I still say we do traditions, because Japanese actually have haiku's about their family traditions.

Food is a decent idea. Here's a site that lists poem topics: http://www.best-poems.net/poems_topics/index.html

MrGatr said:
I still say we do traditions, because Japanese actually have haiku's about their family traditions.

I may do one followed up right away by the other since Christmastime comes up immediately after Thanksgiving. Though I know not everyone celebrates them both, it may be wiser to do food first and then traditions since Thanksgiving usually brings big meals to mind more than traditions. I'll think it over a bit more, though.

Back