News First 'Sun & Moon' English Set News!

Assuming Giratina-EX rotates out next September(along w/ DDE), until Rayquaza colorless w/ energy scooping skills comes about come SM2(?), Lurantis-GX, in my opinion, will be the new energy-retriever for charging up Primarina-GX's Bubble Beat attack as an alternative to DDE, as long as Rainbow Energy serves as the Grass, so that the deck is still in balance...

^ And stage 1 + no turn loss on evolution w/o a special tool, unlike Mega Manectric-EX, which does lose turn w/o spirit link = No problem, unlike Arcanine BREAK, which is a Stage 2 that can't be rare candied in order to materialize...

Do you think that my opinion is a good analogy for this set in terms of cards to watch for?

Why does EVERY FEMALE FA have to be from my favorite illustrator? Now I'm gonna have a rough time getting a Lillie FA.... WHY.

Is anybody else getting Ghost Rare vibes from the HRs? because I am. Let's just hope that the pull rates aren't the same in international releases.

Also, I expect this new SR Ultra Ball to usurp PLF's because of the art. Hell, the price is already dropping in some places.

Okay quick rant here: why do they insist on so many secret rares? It's already ridiculous with all of the full arts, which also apparently are receiving multiple versions with these HR things. I swear it's getting so difficult to keep on. Part of me is starting to question staying with this. I hope time proves me wrong.
This. I see no positives in all of this nonsense, as a collector with a limited amount of money to spend on cards. HR's just seems utterly pointless. They only exist because people go crazy over ultra rares, soooo... let's include even more because "More money, please." (I personally think HR stands for Hidden Rare, though I suppose that's not much different from Secret Rare. But then again, HR's barely seem much different from the regular full arts, so I suppose it's fitting.) Unless GX's are like Primes, taking the place of the reverse and having about 5 in a booster box, and full arts becoming more common--which, given TPCi's track record with ultra rares since Next Destinies, that won't happen--I guess I'll just get my usual one booster box of this set in English and forever give up on the thought of ever completing this set.
When you tought that CP6 had too many ultra rares, and then you see this. Talk about some major Ultra Rare Overload.

Honestly, these Hyper Rare cards feel totally unncecessary. Actually, maybe the regular Full Arts are the unnecessary ones. Like, GX pokémon already look like FA cards so, they could have made only one of the 2 variants instead to prevent this influx of ultra rare cards.
It's interesting though that the HRs have a rainbow coloring. The Rainbow game references keep piling up. (inb4 Rainbow Necrozma form)

As for the gold energy cards, my guess is there's a Metal one for Collection Sun, it just wasn't revealed yet. (seems obvious, Metal for Solgaleo, Psychic for Lunala). So, my guess is these gold energies will appear throughout the SM sets, with the types related to set mascots being the ones chosen to be included (similar to the specific-type special energies from XY). As an example, the next japanese sets focus on Tapu Koko and Lycanroc, so I expect the gold energies present to be Lightning and Fighting. Or course, I'll have to wait and see if there's indeed a Metal one in Collection Sun to sustain this.

Finally, and regarding energy cards, why the hell doesn't the english set include the basic energy cards? Theme deck exclusives, I guess.
All of this too. And I was going to say the exact same thing about there most likely being a SR Metal Energy in Collection Sun, given that the Psychic Energy is #73, right after the FA Switch. (It would be odd starting with Psychic Energy if the set contained all or even "half" of the energies.)
____

Putting aside the stupidly asinine amount of ultra rares, the rest of the set looks nice and interesting. And I absolutely must have that Lillie full art; the artwork is gorgeous. Very pleased with the artwork on Team Skull Grunt, as well. And, aesthetically, I prefer how secret rare Item/Tool cards look in BW and XY much more than these full art Items. These just look empty. Like there's art on this entire card, and it's all shiny and supposed to be impressive and whatnot, but then there's a small blurb on it for the effect of the card, like they almost forgot. "Oh! Right! It does something too, I guess. Better add that text."

Last edited:
I don't like the border on the full arts but it is nice they might bring back textured full arts . Though they probably didn't need to make two versions of each.

I just noticed that there is the espeon and Umbreon GX's but there is no Eevee in either set to accompany them. What if they forget to reprint Eevee?

I keep updating and I keep getting cooler and cooler info, Lurantis GX HR is amazing looking

and now that next ball SR is out ughhhhhhhhh. Ive never felt the need to buy so many cases, I need all these cardsssss. I am gonna say I was right with the secret rare before the switch, and now I expect to see SR metal energy

I just noticed that there is the espeon and Umbreon GX's but there is no Eevee in either set to accompany them. What if they forget to reprint Eevee?
Pretty sure eevee just haven been shown yet since theres one in the english set.. plus there is 6 eeveelution gx card that need evolving

I love the new trainer design! What do you guys think of the new card-art style in general? What era had the best card design?

TPCI Combos!
1. Solgaleo GX+ Lunala GX+ Rainbow, Psychic , Metal, and Psychic energy (if its not all SR you're doing it wrong) + Max Potion
2. Lunala GX+ Espeon GX or any big Psychic/Colorless pokemon + Max Potion
3. Alolan Dugtrio + Sharpedo
4.Vikavolt + Dragonite for constant 130 (clunkier than just playing FTC Aerodactyl)
5. Toxapex + Poison Barb to poison anything that doesn't switch with a Trainer card or just not attack.
6. Tsareena + Red Card or a casual Ilima to three + FOGP + Devo Spray to eliminate your opponent's hand.
7. Lurantis GX has no obvious partners in the set, but M Venusaur is always looking for a friend, especially one that acelerates energy T1. Speaking of T1 energy acceleration, shout out to AOR Volcarona who's now completely outclassed in Standard decks with grass energy.
8. Tauros GX + DCE + Rimbombee to play around with Outrage's output and remove chip damage the opponent tries to do.
9. Ilima + Oranguru as a safety net.
10. Sunsteel Strike + Professor Kukui to get stage 2 GX OHKOs
11. Trump GX + Team Skull Grunt (I personally think Gumshoo's ability is very strong for a disruption deck playing stuff like EVO Raticate, hammers, Team Flare/Skull Grunt, Red Card, Silent Lab, Captivating Pokepuff, Delinquents, etc, since it can tell you when and how to disrupt the opponent hand, what energy to discard based off of what they immediately have in hand, whether its safe to Lysandre stall, etc)

Does Poliwag have a typo for Hydro Pump? It says it does an extra 30 damage per Water Energy, but the card itself has "x10" in the text as if it means "times 10" for something.

-Asmer

2 diffrent Stage 2 Pokemon in one deck. Good luck.

While I typically would agree, the fact that Dratini can simply search for all of his/her evolution line (and another Dratini itself) means isn't quite as bad as it could be. That said, I would love to see how clunky the deck would be as a whole. Sounds like a very fun concept, though.

-Asmer

Dragon Prayer actually seems interesting despite being an attack. It'd be a bit slow but it could be a nice generic option for energy acceleration.

Last edited:
Back