News First 'Sun & Moon' English Set News!

All cards and translations are now up! Please let me know if you notice any mistakes; it's been a very long long and tiring last few days. :p
Hey Athena, Trumbeak line is missing info, and I know we can at least make out the damage on it. Are you waiting for the text?

Hey Athena, Trumbeak line is missing info, and I know we can at least make out the damage on it. Are you waiting for the text?

It must have just gotten overlooked somehow. Whoops! Getting the translators on it.

That Golduck sounds dang nasty. I need to figure out some nice partners for it. Maybe including it in Waterbox? Starmie EVO?

Pokemon: 14
4-4 Golduck SM1
2-2 Starmie EVO
2-2 Octillery BKP

Trainers: 36
4 Bursting Balloon
2 Float Stone
4 Trainers' Mail
4 Dive Ball
4 VS Seeker
1 Professor's Letter
2 Ultra Ball
3 Energy Retrieval
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
2 Lysandre
2 Professor Kukui
1 Fisherman
1 Teammates

Energy: 10
10 Water

Maybe something like this.

Last edited:
That Golduck sounds dang nasty. I need to figure out some nice partners for it. Maybe including it in Waterbox? Starmie EVO?

Pokemon: 14
4-4 Golduck SM1
2-2 Starmie EVO
2-2 Octillery BKP

Trainers: 36
4 Bursting Balloon
2 Float Stone
4 Trainers' Mail
4 Dive Ball
4 VS Seeker
1 Professor's Letter
2 Ultra Ball
3 Energy Retrieval
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
2 Lysandre
2 Professor Kukui
1 Fisherman
1 Teammates

Energy: 10
10 Water

Maybe something like this.
IMO you should be playing four level ball. Ultra ball isn't even necessary.

Am I just being a newbie or is that Masquerain one of the best cards in the set? Setting it up on your first turn with FoGP sounds like a staller's wet dream. The fact that the attack does damage at all and it has a free retreat cost too is simply amazing. Definitely putting a 2-2 line in all my grass decks.
It looks way too slow and minimal in its effect to actually do anything. Moving one energy won't matter when your opponent can just attach another and KO the masquerain.

All cards and translations are now up! Please let me know if you notice any mistakes; it's been a very long long and tiring last few days. :p
Primarina discards from the active, not from any.

Last edited:
IMO you should be playing four level ball. Ultra ball isn't even necessary.
True enough when this build doesn't run Shaymin. Probably need Super Rod too to recycle your ducks.

Passimian also seems pretty nice, like a less fragile Gyarados. Perhaps with some FFBs and Strong Energy?

Last edited:
Passimian also seems pretty nice, like a less fragile Gyarados. Perhaps with some FFBs and Strong Energy?

Every time I look at this set I see another card to interest me. 4 Bridget, FFBs, maybe a Wide Lens for the first attack? Could be simple and straightforward and able to afford the deck space to focus on consistency.

It looks way too slow and minimal in its effect to actually do anything. Moving one energy won't matter when your opponent can just attach another and KO the masquerain.
How many Pokemon can do 90 damage with just one energy? I suppose something like Gyarados could work, but I'd go as far as to say that Masquerain is a hard counter to Gyarados, because if you're able to give away a couple prizes, you can move all their DCE to a non-attacker like Mr. Mime, and after that, they literally can't do anything anymore. I don't really understand what's so slow about it either. You play FoGP, plop a Surskit on your bench, evolve it, attach any energy to it and bam, there you go. It's definitely not going to do much late in the game when your opponent has 3 energy on every Pokemon, but if your opponent goes first and puts a non-attacker on their bench, Masquerain could easily give you a few enemy-attack-free turns.

Looks like the only interesting thing about this set is burn coming back and full art ultra ball, everything else ehh.

This. I see no positives in all of this nonsense, as a collector with a limited amount of money to spend on cards. HR's just seems utterly pointless. They only exist because people go crazy over ultra rares, soooo... let's include even more because "More money, please." (I personally think HR stands for Hidden Rare, though I suppose that's not much different from Secret Rare. But then again, HR's barely seem much different from the regular full arts, so I suppose it's fitting.) Unless GX's are like Primes, taking the place of the reverse and having about 5 in a booster box, and full arts becoming more common--which, given TPCi's track record with ultra rares since Next Destinies, that won't happen--I guess I'll just get my usual one booster box of this set in English and forever give up on the thought of ever completing this set.

All of this too. And I was going to say the exact same thing about there most likely being a SR Metal Energy in Collection Sun, given that the Psychic Energy is #73, right after the FA Switch. (It would be odd starting with Psychic Energy if the set contained all or even "half" of the energies.)
____

Putting aside the stupidly asinine amount of ultra rares, the rest of the set looks nice and interesting. And I absolutely must have that Lillie full art; the artwork is gorgeous. Very pleased with the artwork on Team Skull Grunt, as well. And, aesthetically, I prefer how secret rare Item/Tool cards look in BW and XY much more than these full art Items. These just look empty. Like there's art on this entire card, and it's all shiny and supposed to be impressive and whatnot, but then there's a small blurb on it for the effect of the card, like they almost forgot. "Oh! Right! It does something too, I guess. Better add that text."
My guess is that HR could stand for Hyper Rare.

Has anyone else noticed the oddly high amount of support for Poison in this set?

Yeah...

...Exacerbated by an Alolan Rattata that can Wally(reprinted in Generations, so that card has another season after the current one to soak up the Standard spotlight) into an Alolan Raticate w/ Dark Design, which does a similar job to Dark Explorers Sableye(the one w/ Junk Hunt), only that it requires 1 DCE to use, and unlike Junk Hunt, which nets you two from discard(which Dark Design does not draw from), it nets you a maximum of any 5(8 if Sky Field is up) from deck(none of them have to be from the top of deck), and those "any 5 from deck" could contain a trace of poison that can be applied against you...

^ On a related note, those five cards could also consist of a Lurantis-GX, a Rare Candy, and a Lunala-GX, and unless the hand is disrupted in any way, shape or form(whether by N, Judge, etc.), one side of the field could get set up quickly... If using Dark Design, unless the hand is forced to shuffle those cards back in, the move could be a signal of a quick opposing side set up before your side can get set up if it's not already...

"
#43 Dragonair – Dragon – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Dratini

[C] Dragon Prayer: During your next turn you may attach as many energy as you like from your hand to your Pokemon."

:O :O :O

Looks like my prediction of there being a regular stage 2 with 170HP coming up was wrong.

Would you folks enjoy the day where there are pokemon cards with over 300HP?

Or perhaps an extra tier to level up in addition to current state?
Basic>stage 1>stage 2>stage 2 GX>stage 2 GX2 (GXultra or GXmax, call it whatever you want).
Then make 'extra sweet rare candy' to jump from stage 2 to GX2.

Has anyone else noticed the oddly high amount of support for Poison in this set?

Yup, and with the return of the Burn status effect too, I see this as a more subtle way to push evolution decks over basics than just providing more of those cards. If status effects are everywhere in the next meta, it's always going to be much easier to evolve out of them than to switch or heal.

MY EVALUATIONS!

Disclaimer: Sorry for my very long comment because I evaluate every single card in SM1. Peace!
  • Pinsir - Seem decent
  • Susrkit/Masquerain - Nothing too special
  • Lurantis GX - I like it. New energy accel for Grass maybe most decks. Maybe we'll see Basic Lurantis in SM2.
  • Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree - Nothing too special
  • Morelull/Shiinotic - Good Grass Searcher! Since the #RiseOfTheEvolutions is developing.
  • Paras/Parasect - Fury Cutter was a good damage trade.
  • Poliwag - Hydro Pump wasn't a good attack for Poliwag. We aim OHKOs here.
  • Poliwhirl/Poliwrath - Wrath's First Attack was Split Spiral Punch. Quaking Punch is item lock attack.
  • Bounsweet/Steenee/Tsareena - Seems pretty decent though. Does Bounsweet learn Splash?
  • Corsola - Nothing too special
  • Torkoal - Nothing too special
  • Arcanine - Ok.
  • Crabominable - too tanky! The ACs are horrible!
  • Bruxish - First attack was vulnerable to N/Ilima. If the attacks attaches 3 energy to any Pokemon, that will be great!
  • Psyduck/Golduck - NTS except Psyduck was the fave of the YouTuber that I've watched on YouTube.
  • Chinchou - I wish the attack will be its ability. It's a waste of 1 turn
  • Lanturn - NTS
  • Shellder/Cloyster - NTS
  • Grubbin/Charjabug/Vikavolt - Good Energy Accel. Sadly, we're spamming Rare Candy in the set, which is saved in the brink of rotation, to get out of the play.
  • Lapras GX - Ok! The attacks are worst
  • Togedemaru! - Ok
  • Wishiwashi - A OHKO bait? I think School Form was in SM2.
  • Dewpider/Araquanid - Anti-Volc ability!
  • Alolan Grimer/Alolan Muk aka Rainbow Muk - Blocks Shaymin's ability but Garbodor still wins the ability block.
  • Pyukumuku - Seems OK. It reminds me of Voltorb (XY).
  • Drowzee/Hypno - Hypno was his first time being Uncommon in the English Set?
  • Bats - we finally use Crobat BREAK!
  • Cosmog/Cosmoem - Ok!
  • Lunala GX - The ability is good, the attacks are expensive
  • Solgaleo GX - 230 for 3 Energy, why not?
  • Espeon GX - The attacks are too common in my sight but the gameplay impact was what I am worried
  • Roggenrola/Boldore/Gigalith - NTS too much. First evolving Stage 1 reaching 110 HP?
  • Mareanie/Toxapex - #PoisonBait
  • Sandygast/Pallosand - 50 for 4 Energy wasn't that great for The Mountain
  • Makuhita/Hariyama - NTS
  • Alolan Meowth/Alolan Persian aka Weird Persian -NTS
  • Alolan Ratatta/ Alolan Raticate - Raticate's attack was too risky
  • Passimian - NTS
  • Umbreon GX - Ok! The GX wasn't OK for me
  • Carvanha/Sharpedo - OK
  • Alolan Diglett/Hairy Dugtrio - Seems too decent
  • Sandile/Krokorok/Krookodile - NTS
  • Snubull/Granbull - NTS
  • Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite - I love the design the Dragon-type cards! These will be my bae-leef. BTW, Nair's attack seems impactouos.
  • Skarmory - Ok!
  • Spearow/Fearow -NTS
  • Cutiefly/Ribombee - So cute even the HP becomes cuter.
  • Tauros GX - all attacks are just for 1 DCE but it has #DamageIssues. Maybe a Secret Base will help it.
  • Eevee - a reprint ability from Furious Fists!
  • Kanghaskhan - Holo Kanghaskhan is back?
  • Pikipek/ Trumbeak/Toucannon - newest receipent of "Burned Comeback Award".
  • Spinda - NTS
  • Stufful/Bewear - NTS
  • Lilipup/Herdier/Stoutland - Herdier's ability maybe great but the rest aren't
  • Oranguru - We found a Shaymin Substitute! Maybe greater than Octillery.
  • Yungoos/ Gumshoos GX - OK
  • Energy Switch/Crushing Hammer/Energy Retrieval/Great Ball/Potion/Poke Ball/Switch/Rare Candy/Ultra Ball - Never absent in the TCG
  • Repel/Pokemon Catcher - could be a sub for Lysandre and Escape Rope?
  • Rotom Dex - Seems OK!
  • Timer Ball - Good! Evos makes a use
  • Exp. Share - #RainbowRoadForTheNextFormat
  • Hau - Just Draw 3 cards?
  • Prof. Hipster Kukui - I always thought that this will be the same as Syca but its not. Seems OK, I will use it
  • Ilima - better sub for N/Sycamore?
  • Lillie - Ok but no Nebby
  • Team Skull Grunt - Seems decent
  • Poison Barb - Good for Toxapex's Venoshock
  • Big Malasada - NTS much
  • DCE/Rainbow Energy - never absent
  • Nest Ball - very impactouos card
  • FAs - still exist even though GXs had their " Regular" ones.
  • Hyper Rare - I don't think we'll get that in English. Because HRs are just like SRs making it harder to find in booster packs. One thing I least like HRs are GXs with the same art but glossy. I think the pull rate of the HRs are I think 0.75 - 1.5%. SRs were 1-4%.
  • SR Ultra Ball - Another one?! Better than the SR in Plasma Freeze?
  • Other SRs - Cool!
  • Energy Cards - Weird that they are absent in this Base Set. Maybe the Evolutions Energy Cards is the reason.
  • In a whole - I give it 7.8/10. Because some of the cards aren't too anticipating. But I planned to build a SM-on deck in the future.

Back