News First 'Sun & Moon' English Set News!

silversalamence10

Top Hat Regulator
Not gonna lie, when I first saw it, I kinda laughed at the Secret Rare Psychic Energy.
Trivia: One of the Secret Rares in both sets have been a Secret Rare in a previous set. (Ultra Ball and Switch)
Also, I should've figured that the last GX was gonna be Espeon when Umbreaon GX was revealed.

MystikX

Aspiring Trainer
The alternate version of the Umbreon GX, Espeon GX ..ect resemble Ghost rares (looks like a mirror from certain angles) from YuGiOh!, I like this ~

Example of a Ghost rare:
303430.jpg

Fitting when you consider Ghost Rares are called Holographic Rare in Japan, just like what they're called here seemingly.

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
That Crobat looks really dangerous, both attacks. It will see a lot of play for speed players.
Dragonite and double dragon energy might be another one.
Alolan Muk is at war with Garbodor for ability disabling.
We didn't need a ultraball full art, since there was a secret rare ultraball in one previous set.

I'm looking at the set list and see there is another poliwrath line which is always good for me, and also Wishiwashi (probably single form though).

Ceraphrim

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I m confused are there going to be two different booster boxes ? One for sun and one for moon ?if so if I buy a case will it be 3 and 3 or just a solid sun or moon?

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I for one am glad to see the dumb cards like Sycamore and DDE not get reprints. Sad DCE can't be used with only colorless Pokemon. Sad to see it come back again as is.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Hmmm...

Not sure what to make of most of this yet. Trying to figure out if Oranguru is begging for as much abuse as I think it is. Of course I need to be clear; at first I thought it was bad since it only allows you to draw until you have three cards in hand. You'll have to play your hand down to zero or one cards for that to really be worthwhile... but then I remembered "Oh yeah, this is a Basic Colorless Pokémon and looks like we'll still have many potent Items sticking around."

I m confused are there going to be two different booster boxes ? One for sun and one for moon ?if so if I buy a case will it be 3 and 3 or just a solid sun or moon?

Japan is getting these cards as two sets plus theme decks and promos. Outside of Japan, most of these cards will likely be released as a single expansion. S'just how the-powers-that-be do it for some reason.

Vexen_IV

The Paul Heyman to Giratina-EX's Brock Lesnar.
I for one am glad to see the dumb cards like Sycamore and DDE not get reprints. Sad DCE can't be used with only colorless Pokemon. Sad to see it come back again as is.
That's because you hate everything that is currently in the meta and want to see everything that is good to gtfo. I'm not surprised that you like it in the slightest.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
That's because you hate everything that is currently in the meta and want to see everything that is good to gtfo. I'm not surprised that you like it in the slightest.

I don't really hate it. I'm just glad to see the game going into a more skill based format. Players now seem way too content with "draw as many cards as possible to maybe get the OHKO" and that is what has been killing the game for people. Its like you're losing to luck with the common excuse to why an opponent couldn't KO you being "I missed the cards I needed so I can't KO it."

Players need to know what it was like before BW hit the scene. The next thing I hope goes with it is the Expanded format.

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
THERE'S A PARAS in there. I want it.

I was going to go after Primarina deck, but then I say the Decidueye card was drawn by Kouki Saitou...

Polaris

Espeon GX could be really strong, its second attack is great if you can pay the cost, which isn't too bad. Maybe make a deck using it and Solgaleo GX to move energy and max potion? It has a versatile GX attack too.

silversalamence10

Top Hat Regulator
We didn't need a ultraball full art, since there was a secret rare ultraball in one previous set.

...and also Wishiwashi (probably single form though).
Yeah, Ultra Ball was a Secret Rare in Plasma Freeze.
and as for Wishiwashi, I also think it'll be the solo form, and I reckon the school form will be a GX or something.

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
vikavolt + dragonite repeatable 130 dam course you need to stage 2 setup

shiinotic + Skyla/forest of giant plants makes for a decent grass engine that we can add various line like beedrill, decidueye-gx, mega venasuar, or lurantis-gx.

could see umbreon-gx and espeon-gx in a deck with the eeveelutions in ancient origins that add extra types to stage 1 poke

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
When you tought that CP6 had too many ultra rares, and then you see this. Talk about some major Ultra Rare Overload.

Honestly, these Hyper Rare cards feel totally unncecessary. Actually, maybe the regular Full Arts are the unnecessary ones. Like, GX pokémon already look like FA cards so, they could have made only one of the 2 variants instead to prevent this influx of ultra rare cards.
It's interesting though that the HRs have a rainbow coloring. The Rainbow game references keep piling up. (inb4 Rainbow Necrozma form)

As for the gold energy cards, my guess is there's a Metal one for Collection Sun, it just wasn't revealed yet. (seems obvious, Metal for Solgaleo, Psychic for Lunala). So, my guess is these gold energies will appear throughout the SM sets, with the types related to set mascots being the ones chosen to be included (similar to the specific-type special energies from XY). As an example, the next japanese sets focus on Tapu Koko and Lycanroc, so I expect the gold energies present to be Lightning and Fighting. Or course, I'll have to wait and see if there's indeed a Metal one in Collection Sun to sustain this.

Finally, and regarding energy cards, why the hell doesn't the english set include the basic energy cards? Theme deck exclusives, I guess.

Last edited:

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Putting the fact that these Hyper Rare cards are totally unncecessary, why did they make those for Gumshoos and Lurantis instead of Solgaleo and Lunala??? Get you stuff together PCL.

It's actually pretty likely that there are more HR cards, based on open numbers available if nothing else. I would expect all the FA Pokémon-GX to get the, and possibly the Supporters too.