Bewear The TERRIBLE

Rogue TCG Player
The only deck that fits to your description is Lost Box featuring Sableye, Cramorant and Comfey. Other than that, nah. It benefits 2-prized ones most of the time
I'm not talking about just the meta. Off meta, there are plenty of options for one prize basic decks that need the free retreat. Like mad party, the new Silver Tempest Pika Team ( Pikachu, Dedenne, Morpeko, Togedemaru) & even ditto/spiritomb, among other more competitive single prizers. 😉 (Although pokestop might work better for ditto decks..) You can even play Mew/ Amazing Jirachi/ Shining Fates Manaphy/ Celebi for the ability after every knockout, just before attacking with a VSTAR/ ex.

But i guess the new ex basics are having only 1 energy retreat to match that stadium. 🙂

Last edited:

Bewear The TERRIBLE

Rogue TCG Player
ex's seem worse than V. A bit too slow in setup.. :confused: Looks like the old Ex cards as well, so feels kinda regressive to be honest. Although, it does have that nice sparkle. Was so hoping for Terastal items.. 😣

Beach court is interesting though. Looking forward to use that stadium for one prize basic decks. 😁👍
The art is actually quite good upon closer look. Love the dynamic background that envelopes the entire card, following its specific type theme. Also, its kind of a very refined upgrade to the old frame-break EX Classics. 😃👍

Last edited:

Soysaucey

Aspiring Trainer
I wanna see the kalos starters get tera cards like arcanine but with their secondary type. So dark fighting and psychic. I think that would look sick

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Let's face it, Professor's Research and Boss's Orders will not go away anymore. The name change and the fact that this is their 3rd regulation mark already shows that.

And I hate that. It's just lazy design on their part, they should to give us more puzzly ways to draw cards, make us work for it, build engines, etc, not have a "dump your hand, here's a new one" red button in the formof a card. Boss is even more egregious, gust effects should be unique and more rare, maybe give each type a different way to access the effect, maybe grass has to run a stage 1 line that gusts when it evolves, while water has a supporter that let's you gust at the cost of putting 3 water from your discard back into your deck, maybe dark has a pokemon with an attack that gusts before doing damage if any of your pokemon got knocked out last turn, etc. So many interesting design spaces that they could tap into, and we're left with "the scenarios here are, you either draw boss, or you don't" zzzzzzz....

Last edited:

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
I love the Arcanine card, I think the graphic design is sick, and they managed to hide the stupid hat almost entirely, the crystal look is pretty sick without it actually. Also love that they'll have Ancient Traits, so now I'm curious to see them with different types, that will 100% be sick. Magnezone Miraidon looks like an obvious "builds itself" deck for day one, with one mon being the payoff and the other one being the setup, should be solid. The new frame is ok, I don't like the different shade of color on the upper and left side of the card very much, but nothing insulting. Still think the BW/XY era frame is the best one ever. Wish it would come back.

PS: almost forgot, how haven't anyone talked about Beach Court being just a reprint of Skyarrow Bridge?

Last edited:

Chicken008

Aspiring Trainer
Seems like they wasted the Terastal concept. Delta species or a type changing tool would have been my thought for the concept.

TrumoN

Aspiring Trainer
I thought terastalazing mechanich would've been much more of a thing...its just like the "pokemon with a holding berry" or "alpha/omega/delta extra effects" some years ago...
I was waiting for tera to be like lvl X mechanics... or at least a generic tool that grants a type change to any mon, having 1 for each card colour...this is just a waste...

pokemon tcg is rellying on classic ex play with immense power creeps to stay relevant :(

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Looks like the old Ex cards as well, so feels kinda regressive to be honest.
I will say I'm actually quite glad Ultra Rares have gone back to a more enclosed, card-body format. I was never a fan of GX's and V's which look just like... Much more bland Full Arts. GX's barely even look like a Pokemon card, frankly- These do. Them looking like EXs personally makes me happy as I am a huge fan of them. I'm quite a fan of them resembling this, but with the slightly transparent card body, and the new foil that seems very exciting.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Seems like they wasted the Terastal concept. Delta species or a type changing tool would have been my thought for the concept.

It is that... It's just that Arcanine has a fire hat, but mons with different hats will have the types of the hats.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
I thought terastalazing mechanich would've been much more of a thing...its just like the "pokemon with a holding berry" or "alpha/omega/delta extra effects" some years ago...
I was waiting for tera to be like lvl X mechanics... or at least a generic tool that grants a type change to any mon, having 1 for each card colour...this is just a waste...

pokemon tcg is rellying on classic ex play with immense power creeps to stay relevant :(

The Ancient Trait route is a good design choice, it doesn't matter that it has been done before, it brings an additional layer of design space to cards. lvl X is cool but you can't have all at the same time, I think for lvl X to make sense again they would have to first tone down the numbers, otherwise would we have like, 400hp lvl Xs from stage 2s? And the tool idea is a bad design choice for many reasons, first, you have one for each type, then what? That's what you get for the entirety of an era? A tool for each type? And how do you balance it? It's too swingy, if it's too weak and/or tool removal is too prevalent, what's the point, and if it's too good, it would come down to who draws the tool vs who draws the tool removal, etc. The tcg iteration is more than fine as is.

TrumoN

Aspiring Trainer
The Ancient Trait route is a good design choice, it doesn't matter that it has been done before, it brings an additional layer of design space to cards. lvl X is cool but you can't have all at the same time, I think for lvl X to make sense again they would have to first tone down the numbers, otherwise would we have like, 400hp lvl Xs from stage 2s? And the tool idea is a bad design choice for many reasons, first, you have one for each type, then what? That's what you get for the entirety of an era? A tool for each type? And how do you balance it? It's too swingy, if it's too weak and/or tool removal is too prevalent, what's the point, and if it's too good, it would come down to who draws the tool vs who draws the tool removal, etc. The tcg iteration is more than fine as is.
how about a once in a game thing, like v astro or gx attack. every final stage mon having a tera type (whether ex or not) that you can choose to switch to... I thinkg it would be a crazy idea full of versatility just like the tera in regular game

dineinunes

Buzzwole Appreciation Account
It is that... It's just that Arcanine has a fire hat, but mons with different hats will have the types of the hats.
People are failing to realize that pokémon can also terastalize to their own type. There seems to be an idea that terastalization only gives the pokémon a type it doesn't have and that just because we saw ONE terastal card with an identical type then every terastal cards will be the same and the whole mechanic for the next 3 years will be just that.

Nintenfreak

Aspiring Trainer
I will say I'm actually quite glad Ultra Rares have gone back to a more enclosed, card-body format. I was never a fan of GX's and V's which look just like... Much more bland Full Arts. GX's barely even look like a Pokemon card, frankly- These do. Them looking like EXs personally makes me happy as I am a huge fan of them. I'm quite a fan of them resembling this, but with the slightly transparent card body, and the new foil that seems very exciting.
Thank you! As long as we have to have big dumb ugly two prize cards, I'm glad they're gonna look less ugly.

By the way, dunno if it's been said, the reason Smoliv doesn't line up is they moved all the evolutions of old Pokemon to a block near the end. Not sure why, they've never been quite consistent with it.

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
How on earth are mid-evo Pokemon still so weak? Flaaffy gets 90 HP, a [C][C] Retreat Cost and attacks that would be bad by 2012 standards? lmao

new card layout is nice though
This Flaafy is printed with consideration of the Dynamotor Flaafy still legal in current Standard. Though I agree, once rotation comes again this one is exceedingly useless.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Love the design of the Gen 9 cards. I say pretty close to SWSH era but different hints of design.

NOTE: I'm mentioning the evo lines for some Pokemon not being announced, but I assume that people who got the game already beat the game, and witness how bad Geeta's team is. Anyway, 2 weeks since the game released, you all guys been aware of these atm. Okay? Good.

Smoliv/Dolliv/Arboliva - knowing its a Stage 2, it's not good. Hopefully Arbo don't fail us, that sissy got attached to me.

Lechonk/Oinkologne - I predict that its just a pretty crappy Stage 1 like Dubwool in the past.

Pawmi/Pawmo/Pawmot - Stage 2, but I assume the 3rd ex era will be a new breed of meta and make Stage 2s viable. They have a new way to cheat Stage 2s or get 'em out easily, to stay relevant in the meta or else, it's just a meta dominated by basics.

Riolu/Lucario ex - pretty bland....even for Stage 1. C'mon, man. 3/3

Arcanine ex (T) - Terastals are basically built-in Bench Barrier, huh. They really degrade Manaphy as times go by. Anyways, if only we have an EASY way to get 3 Fire Energy, turn 1, my opinion will change because atm, it's bad. 3/3 90 HP on a Growlithe tho, man.

Mimikyu ex - *yawn* Lugia is the best deck atm, we must have a good way to smack-a-doodle Lugia, and Mimikyu isn't one of them, and Fairy is gone for good. 3-4 Geodudes

Koraidon ex - I said on wozie's video that Koraidon will be a needed answer for F types, and Koraidon didn't fail us. F desperately needs a decent energy accel. I can now use this on H. Arcanine now. 5 Geodudes

Miraidon ex - setup mon? Okay, then. The main atks on both is pretty basic, nothing too special. 4 Geodudes

Professor's Research (Sada/Turo) - oh look, strange Professors. Well, Professor's Research is here to stay, I guess? What will happen to Boss' Orders tho?

Ultra Ball - looks like we'll return to the Ultra Ball playset meta soon.

Nemona - Hau never gets old.

Ampharos ex - at least you have EVS Flaaffy, right? The attack still bland and lack of wow factor, eh. 2/2/3-4

Beach Court - what's the good basic deck atm, Sableye? Oh, it might make Comfey bonkers. 3-4

Sprigatito/Floragato/Meowscarada - it seems we'll have one in the set proper, right? This one is from the starter decks.

Fuecoco/Crocalor/Skeledirge - waiting...

Quaxly/Quaxwell/Quaquaval - waiting...
Lugia will drop down to tier 2 or 3 after rotation. It loses too many cards to remain a powerhouse. I'm honestly shocked that you even thought it was worth mentioning. While Aurora Energy might get a replacement, losing Powerful Colorless Energy, Quick Ball, the Amazing Rares, Capture Energy, Oranguru... It's just murdered by rotation.