First “Scarlet ex & Violet ex” Cards Revealed: The Beginning of the Gen 9 TCG!

ex's seem worse than V. A bit too slow in setup.. :confused: Looks like the old Ex cards as well, so feels kinda regressive to be honest. Although, it does have that nice sparkle. Was so hoping for Terastal items.. ?

Beach court is interesting though. Looking forward to use that stadium for one prize basic decks. ??

ex's seem worse than V. A bit too slow in setup.. :confused: Looks like the old Ex cards as well, so feels kinda regressive to be honest. Although, it does have that nice sparkle. Was so hoping for Terastal items.. ?

Beach court is interesting though. Looking forward to use that stadium for one prize basic decks. ??
The only deck that fits to your description is Lost Box featuring Sableye, Cramorant and Comfey. Other than that, nah. It benefits 2-prized ones most of the time

I actually really like the style of these cards it’s like a mix of Gen 5/6 and Gen 3 which are two of my favorites eras of the tcg

Very neat! Both box legendaries are more support than nutty attackers which is a nice change of pace. Also excited to see Tera ex's that change types.

My only gripe is that this isn't a soft reboot; I was hoping the new regulation block would drop HP and damage so that 70HP basics aren't obscenely weak. The fact that a 2 prizer can with *no issue at all* turn 2 (or 1) KO an evolving basic is a personal problem of mine. Even Buzzwole GX, which was maybe the game's biggest DPS increase in almost a decade, needed Diancie Prism and a Strong Energy to KO an evolving basic with Jet Punch (Zorua being the obvious exception). I get that the game needs record-breaking numbers to sell cards; and that most 2/3 prizers are balanced with each other, but the 1 prizer has been left in the dust for years. With the exception of support Pokemon like Inteleon, Bibarel, Frosmoth, etc, most 1 prize attackers since Lost Thunder all revolve around doing something weird to ramp up to high numbers. Nowadays, decks like Lost March and Mad Party don't even do enough damage to justify the setup effort needed to reach any semblance of high damage! I hope TPCi either lowers the 2 prizer health/damage pool down the line, or increases the stats of 1 prizers to restore balance.

Last edited:
Very neat! Both box legendaries are more support than nutty attackers which is a nice change of pace. Also excited to see Tera ex's that change types.

My only gripe is that this isn't a soft reboot; I was hoping the new regulation block would drop HP and damage so that 70HP basics aren't obscenely weak. The fact that a 2 prizer can with *no issue at all* turn 2 (or 1) KO an evolving basic is a personal problem of mine. Even Buzzwole GX, which was maybe the game's biggest DPS increase in almost a decade, needed Diancie Prism and a Strong Energy to KO an evolving basic with Jet Punch (Zorua being the obvious exception). I get that the game needs record-breaking numbers to sell cards; and that most 2/3 prizers are balanced with each other, but the 1 prizer has been left in the dust for years. With the exception of support Pokemon like Inteleon, Bibarel, Frosmoth, etc, most 1 prize attackers since Lost Thunder all revolve around doing something weird to ramp up to high numbers. Nowadays, decks like Lost March and Mad Party don't even do enough damage to justify the setup effort needed to reach any semblance of high damage! I hope TPCi either lowers the 2 prizer health/damage pool down the line, or increases the stats of 1 prizers to restore balance.
It's great that we now have 80HP starters and a 90HP Growlithe, but I'm still not convinced that this will be enough to offset the ridiculous power of 2 prizers. Cmon, we're talking 10HP.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what they're going to do for Boss's Orders this generation. Five versions for each of the Team Flare captains? I'd rather they do individual things for cards based on each of them. Either way with all of the great designs for the supporting cast in Scarlet and Violet, I'm looking forward to what they do for full arts for them and all of the teachers etc., too.
Likely will be Penny since she's the actual leader of the team.

Oh damn didn’t expect them so fast tbh, power creep make me a bit sad, I expected them to slow down meta and let Pokémon without rule box shine more, but still hyped to see some new mons and I hope my fav too. I assume to see more rare candy this meta
I pray for aggron ex playable
And I wish for dragon type rebuild this gen

It's been said multiple times, but in the games, most Pokemon's Tera type is one of their normal types, and Pokemon whose Tera types are different types are rarer. So this Tera Arcanine being Fire type is completely normal. There will definitely be cards with more unique Tera types in the future.

I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing here. I was really afraid the card layout would be too similar to the BW/XY era, since I REALLY dislike those layouts, but the card layouts are actually quite nice. I really dig the fact that the background for the card text is a lighter color, the two-tone thing is really appealing. My only complaint is the metallic squiggle between the Weakness/Resistance and Retreat Cost looks kinda bad, and I'm not crazy about the little lines on the side of the trainer cards.

Interesting there are no Dragon-types. It probably doesn't mean anything, but it makes me think there's a chance they'll do what the SwSh era did and temporarily exile them for some reason. I know this is very unpopular, but I personally hope they're retiring the Dragon-type altogether. I've never really liked it existing in the TCG. Colorless Dragons are more appealing to me, the plain white background looks far better with the multiple energy type costs Dragons tend to have than the gold one does, and I'm just a fan of keeping things simple when it comes to TCG types (hence I was quite happy when Fairy type was retired).

The first ones will probably be like this:

906 Sprigatito
907 Floragato
908 Meowscarada
909 Fuecoco
910 Crocalor
911 Skeledirge
912 Quaxly
913 Quaxwell
914 Quaquaval
915 Lechonk
916 Oinkologne
917 Tarountula
918 Spidops
919 Nymble
920 Lokix
921 Pawmi
922 Pawmo
923 Pawmot

Interesting there are no Dragon-types. It probably doesn't mean anything, but it makes me think there's a chance they'll do what the SwSh era did and temporarily exile them for some reason. I know this is very unpopular, but I personally hope they're retiring the Dragon-type altogether. I've never really liked it existing in the TCG. Colorless Dragons are more appealing to me, the plain white background looks far better with the multiple energy type costs Dragons tend to have than the gold one does, and I'm just a fan of keeping things simple when it comes to TCG types (hence I was quite happy when Fairy type was retired).
They didn't reveal any Darkness or Metal type pokémon either, does this mean they will retire those types too? No.

Is it officially confirmed that Terastalized Pokémon only have bench damage barrier? Or will the ability be different for each Pokémon? Would love to see a variety.

Reactions: Bid
Tbh you are right, and dragon decks cant exist without certain supporters and items, retire or rebuilding is needed imo

Is it officially confirmed that Terastalized Pokémon only have bench damage barrier? Or will the ability be different for each Pokémon? Would love to see a variety.
Don't think we'll know until we see another one. If they indeed all have it, that'll be a let down as all it does is save bench/deck space over running Manaphy (at least until it rotates), and even then you might still want to run Manaphy for your non-Terastal Pokemon. If it does do different things, then we basically get a variety of "second abilities" that bypasses Path to the Peak.

That miraidon ex with Regieleki vmax and flaaffy (with energy acceleration) might be something good.
You summon your mons turn 1 and with 2 miraidons ex you can have a full bench in turn 1.
Turn 2 you can do 280 damage with miraidon if you have 2 Regielekis vmax on your bench.

Looks like a fun deck to play.

The frame style reminds me a bit of B&W, with ex'es look a lot like XY EXes. Overall, looks pretty nice.

So far, none of the cards showcased is crazy, and that's great. Definitely powercreeped in numbers since SM, but that's not necessarily bad for Standard. A bit sad that we're still stuck with Professor's Research instead of something more balanced and interesting like Cynthia, but that by itself doesn't mean the format will be ridiculously fast. Future looks hopeful.
Maybe they'll reprint Cynthia with a card like Nemona's Resolve? You know, because she's the final battle of that story

I was hoping tera Pokémon would be a lv X or break style mechanic but ancient traits work too, really like the lighter darker colouring of the type colour this generation

I'm wondering what they're going to do for Boss's Orders this generation. Five versions for each of the Team Flare captains? I'd rather they do individual things for cards based on each of them. Either way with all of the great designs for the supporting cast in Scarlet and Violet, I'm looking forward to what they do for full arts for them and all of the teachers etc., too.
I think they should do a set effect for each boss but for their respective types

Back