First “Scarlet ex & Violet ex” Cards Revealed: The Beginning of the Gen 9 TCG!

The frame style reminds me a bit of B&W, with ex'es look a lot like XY EXes. Overall, looks pretty nice.

So far, none of the cards showcased is crazy, and that's great. Definitely powercreeped in numbers since SM, but that's not necessarily bad for Standard. A bit sad that we're still stuck with Professor's Research instead of something more balanced and interesting like Cynthia, but that by itself doesn't mean the format will be ridiculously fast. Future looks hopeful.

Love the design of the Gen 9 cards. I say pretty close to SWSH era but different hints of design.

NOTE: I'm mentioning the evo lines for some Pokemon not being announced, but I assume that people who got the game already beat the game, and witness how bad Geeta's team is. Anyway, 2 weeks since the game released, you all guys been aware of these atm. Okay? Good.

Smoliv/Dolliv/Arboliva - knowing its a Stage 2, it's not good. Hopefully Arbo don't fail us, that sissy got attached to me.

Lechonk/Oinkologne - I predict that its just a pretty crappy Stage 1 like Dubwool in the past.

Pawmi/Pawmo/Pawmot - Stage 2, but I assume the 3rd ex era will be a new breed of meta and make Stage 2s viable. They have a new way to cheat Stage 2s or get 'em out easily, to stay relevant in the meta or else, it's just a meta dominated by basics.

Riolu/Lucario ex - pretty bland....even for Stage 1. C'mon, man. 3/3

Arcanine ex (T) - Terastals are basically built-in Bench Barrier, huh. They really degrade Manaphy as times go by. Anyways, if only we have an EASY way to get 3 Fire Energy, turn 1, my opinion will change because atm, it's bad. 3/3 90 HP on a Growlithe tho, man.

Mimikyu ex - *yawn* Lugia is the best deck atm, we must have a good way to smack-a-doodle Lugia, and Mimikyu isn't one of them, and Fairy is gone for good. 3-4 Geodudes

Koraidon ex - I said on wozie's video that Koraidon will be a needed answer for F types, and Koraidon didn't fail us. F desperately needs a decent energy accel. I can now use this on H. Arcanine now. 5 Geodudes

Miraidon ex - setup mon? Okay, then. The main atks on both is pretty basic, nothing too special. 4 Geodudes

Professor's Research (Sada/Turo) - oh look, strange Professors. Well, Professor's Research is here to stay, I guess? What will happen to Boss' Orders tho?

Ultra Ball - looks like we'll return to the Ultra Ball playset meta soon.

Nemona - Hau never gets old.

Ampharos ex - at least you have EVS Flaaffy, right? The attack still bland and lack of wow factor, eh. 2/2/3-4

Beach Court - what's the good basic deck atm, Sableye? Oh, it might make Comfey bonkers. 3-4

Sprigatito/Floragato/Meowscarada - it seems we'll have one in the set proper, right? This one is from the starter decks.

Fuecoco/Crocalor/Skeledirge - waiting...

Quaxly/Quaxwell/Quaquaval - waiting...

Could be mechanically fun to have 1 random "ancient trait" and 1 random type per terra card. But it would be kind of hell to pull the one you want.

So Terastal has nothing to do with typing in the TCG? Bummer.
You know that there are two types of Terastalizing, right? Pokémon don't always terastalize to different types. We are seeing one card reflecting that. In the future (or even in this set) we might get Terastal cards of pokémon with a type different than the regular. Don't jump the gun.

The frame style reminds me a bit of B&W, with ex'es look a lot like XY EXes. Overall, looks pretty nice.

So far, none of the cards showcased is crazy, and that's great. Definitely powercreeped in numbers since SM, but that's not necessarily bad for Standard. A bit sad that we're still stuck with Professor's Research instead of something more balanced and interesting like Cynthia, but that by itself doesn't mean the format will be ridiculously fast. Future looks hopeful.
Let's face it, Professor's Research and Boss's Orders will not go away anymore. The name change and the fact that this is their 3rd regulation mark already shows that.

One thing I didn't like and I hope will not be a trend is the fact that we're getting "duplicate" cards like Professor's Research and Nemona. This will only inflate our sets even more.

One thing I didn't like and I hope will not be a trend is the fact that we're getting "duplicate" cards like Professor's Research and Nemona. This will only inflate our sets even more.
I'm wondering what they're going to do for Boss's Orders this generation. Five versions for each of the Team Flare captains? I'd rather they do individual things for cards based on each of them. Either way with all of the great designs for the supporting cast in Scarlet and Violet, I'm looking forward to what they do for full arts for them and all of the teachers etc., too.

Yeah I was hoping they'd soft bring back Delta with Tera types, like a Fire type Barraskewda or something
this is absolutely the way the mechanic will work going forward. arc has a fire crown and completely "loyal" attacks. It'd work as any type and tera being only bench protection makes no sense unless they are also available as other tera types (colorshifted)

Back