Games Fire Emblem

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
The dancer probably either joins your side or the side you don't choose.

The anime aspects seem kinda generic urban fantasy which is almost always bad in anime, but that doesn't really say anything about the quality of the game nor its story.
Athena said:
  • There appears to be a male Pegasus Knight?!
If you mean the character with red hair shown from the White version box art, I thought that was a tomboyish girl.

Now that I've rewatched the SMTxFE trailer and looked at the comments and on the FE subreddit, I can see the FE influence now with some of the classes, enemies (the floating head's name is Gangrel), and possibly some character analogues like Tiki and the blue haired chick being Lyn. The game is expected to get a mature rating according to the trailer, so I guess it'll be darker than the music would have you believe.

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
Mr.Muffin said:
I am going to continue playing as the Female character. Why do female avatars always have better designs. Also which side has the Dancer? Because that might sway my decision.

SMTxFE has really, really saddened me. From playing Persona 3 FES and watching some clips of older games the anime aspect of SMT is always down played while in this game it is way too over played. This game is full to the brim with High School anime tropes. In the live chat I was in no one knew what game this was, and when this announced we all agreed to pause and look for Fire Emblem reference before the release. All we could find was Tiki, and we came to the conclusion it was closer to Devil Survivor(Not a main series SMT :C) because it is the most anime SMT game, apparently....

SMTxFE is like an anime'd Persona meets an anime'd Fire Emblem. And that's saying something considering both of those are anime as insert-word-here.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Ah, derp Cinesra, I guess you can tell I'm just so used to people questioning if the game still exists. :p Also, because A) I know a total of absolutely 0 about SMT (nor Persona), and 2) I'd always heard that that the gameplay of the game was going to be more SMT than FE anyway, I guess I didn't question the content of the trailer at all. >_> Just assumed it was a bunch of stuff I didn't understand--but, oooh, is that Tiki?-- sort of thing. I'm looking forward to playing it, though, since it should be cool. Perhaps not knowing anything about SMT will be a boon in this case since I have no expectations.

I'm still more hyped for FEif, though. It seems really amazing and I love how much content they're throwing at us. Seeing that they're basically developing 2+ separate games for us (depending on how much new content that 3rd path is), I'm willing to wait until 2016 for everything to be localized and such... so long as it's not too late into 2016. >_> Hardest part will be avoiding spoilers.

Also, dancer chick seems to be important enough that she'll likely be a major player on either side. They seemed to showcase her having both a light and a dark appearance, so that might be related to the paths somehow.

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!
But it is coming out this summer in Japan! It better be a lot of translation.

King Xerneas

Icy Goth
Honestly I'm so divided on which side to choose. Nohr has the increased difficulty as well as an interesting plot line with some pretty snazzy looking characters, but Hoshido has some really cool looking characters and that samurai dude who I don't want to be the one responsible for his death (as seen on the trailer).

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Mr.Muffin said:
But it is coming out this summer in Japan! It better be a lot of translation.

It's usually been about a year between releases before. It *is* a lot of translation/localization work, considering all the copious amounts of game text, plus supports, and the voice acting, etc. Considering that this game is actually 2-3 games worth of content, yeah, it's a pretty ambitious task. Given the rise in popularity of FE since Awakening, I wouldn't be surprised if more manpower was going to be put into getting the localization done faster, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how long it takes. I'd place my bet on February of next year, but I wouldn't bet much.

As far as sides go, I definitely plan on getting/playing both, even if they're separate or whatever; I honestly don't care. I'll probably play the Hoshido side first since it's the "easier" side and I like to mess around and learn the characters and have fun before I get serious about trying to optimize.

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!
It is going to be hard no matter what version you play first because you are going to have to kill one of the characters you were friends with in the other AU version. I think that will make the game better for a lot of people, but ehhh...

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I'm really hoping they don't release two versions of the new Fire Emblem here. Honestly, it's just kind of confusing how they're releasing it in Japan at this point. Apparently there's three paths that you'll be able to choose? Are they releasing two separate digitally or will there only be one there (I saw some stuff talking about it online but I'm still not sure)? And if you buy one of the two retail games, you're locked into the choice and you can't do the other path at all unless you download the others? Just what a mess lol.

This is how I would do it. Release one game. Have the two other paths as DLC (I'm not sure if I totally like the concept of making them DLC in the first place, but if you want all the paths you have to do this regardless...). And just call it at that. Two versions is just a mess (and will further confuse, or at least it does to me) and it only works for things like Pokemon because of exclusives and trading. The stories are always the same lol.

dmaster out.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
There are 2 main paths, Hoshido and Nohr. Each path is its own separate story with the same amount of content as Awakening, but the main character is the same in both, and the first 5-6 levels are the same (likely minor tutorial-like levels before the main campaign begins). Some gameplay differences that have been shared are that the Hoshido path will be more akin to a traditional FE game and easier, whereas the Nohr path will be more difficult and complicated. We also know that grinding is more prevalent in the Hoshido path and not in the Nohr side, so it's likely that the Hoshido path will have a world map and grinding encounters whereas the Nohr side will not, probably playing more like the earlier FE games where you simply went from chapter to chapter (though we could see a return of Arenas too, of course).

In Japan, each path has its own separate game for the retail version. You buy the Hoshido path or the Nohr path. The first 6 levels are the same and then it automatically goes into the campaign mode that matches which version you bought. The path you didn't choose is available as DLC for half the price of the retail game (so effectively you get 2 main paths for the price of 1.5). The digital distribution is a bit different in that there's only one version to download, and when you hit the fork in the game at chapter 6, you pick which side you'd like to play as, then you can download the other as paid DLC again later. The reason they are separate games is because, well, they're separate games. You'll see some of the same characters throughout, but enemies on one side will be your fighting comrades on the other. The actual plot and gameplay objectives will be completely different between either version.

Less is known about the "third" path, aside from the fact that it will be another option to play through the game and will be available as DLC. Japan will also be releasing a special edition retail game pack that will include 1 cartridge with all 3 paths (not sure if the third path is actual on the cart or if its a free download or whatever).

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
No idea if anyone here is interested or not, but pre-orders for the new Fire Emblem TCG are up on AmiAmi now. They're selling cases of 16 packs for ¥4,990 and 2 different starter decks for ¥1,160 each (or ¥6,890 for a case of 6 decks). Because I am a humongous dork, I ordered a case of packs and one each of the decks. They're just so beautiful looking!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I will likely be listing doubles in my Trading and Selling threads here in case you or anyone else are interested! :D

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Some more information on the Cipher TCG if anyone's interested:

1) The first series is the one being released this July and the cards will feature characters from 11/12/13 (Archanea games and Awakening). There are at least two more series being planned. Series 2 will feature characters from FEif, and Series 3 with characters from FEif and 9/10 (Tellius).
2) There will be download cards in the Series 1 products that will unlock characters in the Japanese versions of FEif. The two decks give a Masked Lucina (for the Awakening deck) and a Prince Marth (for for Archanea deck), and the Booster Box gives Pegasus Knight Minerva (and alternate version of Minerva from Archanea who appears in-game as a prepromoted Wyvern Lord). It is unknown how these characters will be available outside of Japan, since it's unlikely that Cipher will be released internationally, but it'll probably just end up being regular DLC of some sort.
3) The game itself looks really cool; I wish we would get it in English. :< As it stands, I don't think I'm committed enough to playing it to try and attempt it by memorizing the cards and/or printing translation cheat sheets, let along trying to convince my husband to do that same. :U
4) This post over on Dengeki Online explains a lot of the game rule info in Japanese, but it also has some photographs of a bunch of the Series 1 cards at the bottom too, which is pretty neat.

King Xerneas

Icy Goth
Also if you guys haven't heard, our mysterious dancer now has a name.
Be4n45e.jpg

(Her name is Aqua if you couldn't tell)

StudiousThug

Aspiring Trainer
Amazing. Kingdom Hearts x Fire Emblem confirmed???
Not at all. However, Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei is supposed to be an incoming thing...
...and for whatever reason, it looks like it's going to be playing more like a Persona game than anything else.

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
Not at all. However, Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei is supposed to be an incoming thing...
...and for whatever reason, it looks like it's going to be playing more like a Persona game than anything else.

Was a joke, but internet, so it's all good haha.

I think SMTxFE has passed the point of Persona. It just walked right over that to go straight for anime cliches to the extreme. I love me some Persona, but even it tries to keep its own identity so to speak.

...This is totally how veteran Fire Emblem fans feel about Awakening and if's direction, isn't it?

StudiousThug

Aspiring Trainer
Was a joke, but internet, so it's all good haha.

I think SMTxFE has passed the point of Persona. It just walked right over that to go straight for anime cliches to the extreme. I love me some Persona, but even it tries to keep its own identity so to speak.

...This is totally how veteran Fire Emblem fans feel about Awakening and if's direction, isn't it?
I know a fellow who's been playing since the fourth one released. He goes by the name of Endgame. He's been bashing the series since Sacred Stones, saying that FE8 was when the series departed from the true Fire Emblem spirit. Granted, he's a troll, so I would take what he says with a grain of salt.
(If you've ever heard of the meme "Hot Skitty on Wailord Action"... this guy is the one who created that.)

What do you think about Awakening and If?

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
Personally, I loved Awakening. I know it has fanservice, I know it's an entirely different style from every game before it. But apparently I fall in the new market they're after, as I can't make myself play the older titles even though I own four (including oft-considered "one of the best" in Path of Radiance). If is looking to be just as good, so for now it also gets a positive from me.

StudiousThug

Aspiring Trainer
Personally, I loved Awakening. I know it has fanservice, I know it's an entirely different style from every game before it. But apparently I fall in the new market they're after, as I can't make myself play the older titles even though I own four (including oft-considered "one of the best" in Path of Radiance). If is looking to be just as good, so for now it also gets a positive from me.

Surprising, what you said. Before meeting you, I had yet to hear a good thing about Path of Radiance.
Awakening was my first FE game, and I love it. The series' other games are good stuff, though.