BW/BW2 EV Training Guide

Um, not really. 255 times 2 is 510, so it is a number that makes sense, if only a little.

And 255 makes sense because that's a common number in computers and games. Stuff to do with 256 being a power of 2. Binary stuff. Bit stuff. Stuff.

So let me get this straight, let's say I go and fight off a Pokemon thy gives off +2 of an ev and the active pokemon is holding an item that gives me +4 in that same EV and he also had pokerus, he would get a total of 12 correct? And if the rest of my team held exp share would they all get the 12 EV's? Or just the 2 from the KO'ed pokemon. Would yet gain 4 if they all had pokerus?

You're correct on all the parts. With a Power item and PokeRus, the active will get 12 EVs. If anything had a EXP. Share, they'd just get 2, or 4 with PokeRus.

A few things I want to confirm:

It's common to start a battle with a weak Pokemon and then switch to a stronger one to split the experience gained between the two. If both have Power Items and PokeRus, and were going against something that yielded one EV, would they both get 10?

And does the answer to that also apply to double battles? Do both Pokemon get 10 when one KOs something that yields 1? Or only the one that KOed it?

A Great Guide. I never knew much about EVs before I read this guide, But now I am EV training my own Mixed Sweeper. (Metagross Hp-80 Atk-124 Sp.A- 252 Spd-54)
So.. Thanks.
-Reshiwott-

Chariblaze said:
If both have Power Items and PokeRus, and were going against something that yielded one EV, would they both get 10?

And does the answer to that also apply to double battles? Do both Pokemon get 10 when one KOs something that yields 1? Or only the one that KOed it?

As long as the Pokemon get EXP from the battle, they get the EVs that the KOed Pokemon provided.

So yes to both questions.

Thank you!!

While thanking someone is polite, it doesn't add anything to the discussion. PM'ing or sending a Profile Comment would be better.~KA

Thanks for the guide. Lately I have started to do move sets but I didn't know how EVs work. Once I get Black 2 I will start EV training my Seadra that I just caught.

I just want to point out a few things:

First, if a pokemon already has EVs in a stat when you start to give it vitamins, you will not be able to use all 10 on it. If the EV value is 91 or greater, the Vitamin will not work. for this reason you should ALWAYS use vitamins first to speed up EV training.

Second, EVs are gained through use of the Exp Share as well. The pokemon will not benefit from Power items on other pokemon, but it will still receive the normal EVs it would it from battling the pokemon. These EVs gained through the Exp Share are still subject to Pokerus doubling though. To illustrate this consider the following: Only one pokemon (holding a power item) actually battles and the other 5 have Exp Shares and are below level 100. All 6 pokemon will receive the normal EVs from battling the specific pokemon, however only the pokemon who actually battled will see any extra EVs from the power item it holds.

Third, Once a pokemon reaches level 100, it will become unable to gain EVs through battle since it no longer gains experience. Vitamins and Wings will still work, though.

Lastly, the Dojo in the new Join Avenue of Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 has a way to EV train stats. If done this way, it is possible to fully EV train a pokemon that has no experience (in other words, one that has never battled) as well as pokemon already at level 100. the number of EVs given is denoted by the level training you pay for (for example: Lv. 4 Speed training gives 4 Speed EVs)

Anyway, excellent guide. Keep up the good work.

This is awesome, you should make a list of all the pokemon where you can EV train to get the specific values.

A very good guide indeed. Let me add some information as well:
(These are strictly BW2)
Join Avenue:
Restaurant: Sells EV raising meals with levelling of the shop.
Beauty Salon: Grooms Pokemon, raising friendship and reducing their EVs. These groom sessions become available with levelling of the shop. Note that a full-friendship Pokemon can't undergo these sessions. Preferably use them on unfriendly Pokemon e.g. trades, and before using the EV-reducing berries.
Flower Shop: Sells EV-reducing berries in sets of four with levelling of the shop.
Market: Sells vitamins at lower prices.

Useful NPCs:
A Pokemon Breeder on Route 5 sells a random set of 5 EV-reducing berries every day for 200.
Bianca: When you call Bianca on the Xtransceiver she can tell you if a Pokemon has max EVs or not, as well as if it has max EVs on a specific stat. This is more helpful when you want to maximize a stat rather than distributing EVs on many stats.

Hope I've helped!

ChillBill said:
A very good guide indeed. Let me add some information as well:
(These are strictly BW2)
Join Avenue:
Restaurant: Sells EV raising meals with levelling of the shop.
Beauty Salon: Grooms Pokemon, raising friendship and reducing their EVs. These groom sessions become available with levelling of the shop. Note that a full-friendship Pokemon can't undergo these sessions. Preferably use them on unfriendly Pokemon e.g. trades, and before using the EV-reducing berries.
Flower Shop: Sells EV-reducing berries in sets of four with levelling of the shop.
Market: Sells vitamins at lower prices.

Useful NPCs:
A Pokemon Breeder on Route 5 sells a random set of 5 EV-reducing berries every day for 200.
Bianca: When you call Bianca on the Xtransceiver she can tell you if a Pokemon has max EVs or not, as well as if it has max EVs on a specific stat. This is more helpful when you want to maximize a stat rather than distributing EVs on many stats.

Hope I've helped!

The Beauty Salon drops the EVs by 255, so they are set to 0. So you'll want a few so you can drop all the stats.

Actually, only the sessions at lv 8-10 drop the EVs to zero. There are others who don't reduce it so much, but are cheaper.

Salon lv1: by 50
Salon lv2: by 100
Salon lv3: by 255

Updated with Join Avenue shops. All of them.

argh

EDIT: also noted the berry salespeople. Thanks ChillBill!

spiritomb said:
Where is the section/guide dedicated to IV training.

IV Breeding is a completely different topic if you mean that. That is where you have parents pass down IVs with Power Items on stats that are 31s.

If you mean EV Training, which I think you do, you want to check this post for a list of what EVs each Pokemon provides.

spiritomb said:
Where is the section/guide dedicated to IV training.

Bit unrelated, but here's my guide. :D

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-chariblaze-s-guides-to-breeding-and-ivs

I don't know if there''s anything to update it for with BW2, but it hasn't been, yet. Someday.

Back