Diabetes

NyJonesy26

He's Watching.
I was diagnosed a few days ago with type 1 diabetes. My freedom to eat whatever, whenever is gone. Luckily we caught it before it got life-threatening. Do you think you or someone you know could be at risk for/have diabetes?

It's not Diabetes, but a couple weeks ago our family found out that my Grandpa ("Papa Pringles") had Cancer, he was told he had 3-6 months, but they discover a couple days ago that it's not the bad.

I'm still worried, but supposedly it's not REAL bad, I mean it is cancer, but as everyone keeps saying Cancer isn't a death-sentence like it used to be.

At first he couldn't eat but a couple nibbles a day, but a couple days ago he ate 6/2 Pizzas from Cicis. xD

Ohhhh boy. Well, you guys know I have a LOT of medical problems, but diabetes is not one of them thankfully. However, my cousins both have type 2 diabetes, and my Grandmother had type 1, so it runs in my family quite a bit.

There was this kid at my school with diabetes. I don't think it really affected him though, as everyone hated him when he didn't have it. This kid is literally person and has a bunch of anger management problems. I avoid him as much as possible.

My neighbor Robert has diabetes too, but I'm not exactly sure if he's dead or not. He was a nice guy, and he didn't have any anger management problems.

If anything, you will be eating healthy now, thus your body will be able to function better.

I have many friends with diabetes, but I don't usually have any medical conditions except for a flu and a cold every year, and maybe some strep throat, and cuts.

I'm very sorry to hear that NYJonesy, I know it can be quite a shock.

I don't have Diabetes now, however my Grandparents on both sides have it (Type 2 I believe), my parents are at a very high risk, and as I'm an only child so am I.

I have a good friend who is 14 and has type 1, most of the time he's the smartest in my class. He has a pump, so doesn't have to give himself insulin shots (I really suggest you get a pump, I know it is a bit expensive but it makes life easier).

A good family friend of ours daughter has type 1 diabetes, she's perfectly normal. She acts, she models, in fact I think she's the poster girl for Type 1 Diabetes in Missouri, she to has the pump and is perfectly normal.

Medical diagnosis can be a shock to your system I know, last year my grandfather was diagnosed with a deadly form of Bone Cancer and died 3 days later, so just thank God that you and the doctors caught it early :)

My mom is diabetic, and recently I've been checking my sugar levels and have noticed mine going up as well. I haven't officially been diagnosed, but with a fasting blood sugar of 140 after sleeping, and 180 or so after eating....I think it's safe to say that I do have it. The bad thing about it is the fact that my mom still eats like crap despite this. When i was away at college, I actually had control of what I ate, but now I don't. If it's in the house, it's what I'm stuck with. She even mentioned we'd start buying real food when I came home. It's been a week, and as of now...nothing.

My friend has diabetes, and he always has to have his blood sugar level checked before he eats anything, and I mean anything... He can't do many physical activities, but he's fit and can run fast, and he has a very high pain tolerence, and that's awesome!!! So...yeah...

My family and I has never had diabetes. My family I know of has never had diabetes.

I thought you get diabetes is all from sugar.

ElementalChomp9999 said:
My family and I has never had diabetes. My family I know of has never had diabetes.

Not even close. It can run in the family. A poor diet and weight can cause it as well, but eating sugar has nothing to do with it. Your body begins to produce too much glucose and it pours into the bloodstream.

ElementalChomp9999 said:

Any one can suffer from it. Due to poor eating habits, it is predicted to turn epidemic. I heard a report in which in the next 10 years 10 million Americans will develop it.

It would be nice, but the way that treating it has advanced a lot over the years. If you don't mind me asking, what are you on to keep your blood glucose levels down? I'm taking 500mg of Metformin when I eat meals in order to keep it down. I want to avoid being on insulin as much as possible.

They have me on Novolog (rapid-acting insulin) before meals and Lantus (24-hour insulin) at bedtime. If I miss any shots, things could get really bad, but I've been in pretty good control most of the time. The needles are short, thankfully. The highest it ever got was sometime last week, which was when it went over 250mg/dL. I use insulin pens for the injections, but they're terribly expensive, almost $400 for a pack, so I've been living off free samples for the first month since I don't have insurance yet.

I know I should cut down on sweets. They're so dericious though.

My girlfriend's family is almost all diabetic so she really needs to watch it. I need to get on her case.

Back