Cheating at Regionals

RE: Cheating

I recently caught someone in league using a loaded dice, I was kinda disappointed in them.

Currently Newman is not in the ineligible player list. I would expect that will change soon though. TPCi probably just has to determine the length of the suspension.

In tournaments I always cut, but in league I don't always mainly since nothing is on the line. It is just for having some fun and actually getting to play since I judge most tournaments in my area.

King Arceus said:
In tournaments I always cut, but in league I don't always mainly since nothing is on the line. It is just for having some fun and actually getting to play since I judge most tournaments in my area.

Is that your policy for cheating happening once, or repeated times?

It doesn't matter if I know the person or not in tournaments or if I know they have been suspected of cheating before. If I'm judging at an event and I know a player is suspicious I usually inform the other judges to watch that player carefully. You can always emphasize that you should always cut your opponent's deck after they shuffle it in the player's meeting. By doing that it doesn't draw attention to any one player.

I'm just glad it didn't cost ryan soles the game and it didn't impact the tourney

EmmetCHH22 said:
My god you guys need to get over it. This really just a copied thread from pokegym anyways...

Thanks for the contribution.

Hopefully this gets handled. I don't know about anyone else but in a big event like Regionals, I will always cut.

EmmetCHH22 said:
My god you guys need to get over it. This really just a copied thread from pokegym anyways...
That post really contributed nothing to this discussion. Just because it's also on pokegym doesn't mean we can't discuss it. I also doubt you'd have this "get over it" attitude if the cheater was across from you.

Cheating makes me feel sick to my stomach.

I've encountered a cheater before; remember Smeargle SW? He kept using Trace without flipping the coin (also he was somewhat reluctant to let me read the card, I asked him two or three times to see it), so I called a Judge and he got all flustered and said something about not knowing how Smeargle worked. He got a match loss.

I really wonder why he would do this knowing he was on camera?

My league leader told me a funny story about the cheater, Newman.

4-5 years ago, Newman made Top 8 at Missouri states. He pretty much forced his opponent to give him the win during the match, and everyone in top cut heard him. My league leader (the judge) came over, kicked him out of the tournament, and had the top cut matches delayed one hour. Because of this, Newman received a 1-2 year ban from the game, and was apparently "crying like a baby".

I feel no pity for cheaters.

Nigel said:

4-5 years ago, Newman made Top 8 at Missouri states. He pretty much forced his opponent to give him the win during the match, and everyone in top cut heard him. My league leader (the judge) came over, kicked him out of the tournament, and had the top cut matches delayed one hour. Because of this, Newman received a 1-2 year ban from the game, and was apparently "crying like a baby".

How did he force his opponent?

exdarkrai01 said:
Nigel said:

Kind of wondering this myself... I mean, I could see it if he was trying to pressure his opponent into conceding the game or trying to bribe him...

Coming from Magic, scooping to someone is not a rare thing. If for example, I had no way of making the Top 8 but my opponent does if they win the match, I will in most cases concede to them. Note that most cases does not cover them being a d*** about it or trying to pressure me into it.

I have had a situation where at one tournament, going into the last swiss round, it worked out that even with a win, I'd end up 1 point short of the required total to Top 8. My opponent could make it if he won. When we sat down, I asked how he was going and he explained the above to me, adding he was very nervous. I had no stake in the prizes for the top 8 and after a chat with the guy, who is still to this day a good friend of mine, I told him I would concede the match.

On the flip side, I was in a position not too long ago that I couldn't make it in, my opponent could on a win. Same situation, different result though, my opponent sat down and basically told me I was going to concede to him and called for a judge to take the match result and confirm that I conceded the match to him. As soon as the judge came, I informed the judge that I had made no such decision. Judge left, my opponent started to get pretty insulting and abusive towards me. I called a judge and informed them that I wished to play and my opponent was not doing so. He got a warning and I preceded to destroy him in 2 games. He stormed away after game 2 swearing and cursing. If he had come to me and requested I concede as opposed to him telling me I was scooping the game, I may well have....

Nigel said:
exdarkrai01 said:

"All I want is the win. Give me it right now, or else I'll destroy your cards"

If someone destroyed my cards, I would destroy their fingers. :angry

I hope Newman gets permabanned from Pokemon.

Brave Vesperia said:
Nigel said:

I'd destroy their face :D

Why do people cheat? It doesn't end well, and it looks like Newman will be permabanned.

Nigel said:
exdarkrai01 said:

I wonder how much longer a ban he would have gotten if he actually DID destroy people's cards.

Blui129 said:
Brave Vesperia said:

I'd destroy their face :D

Why do people cheat? It doesn't end well, and it looks like Newman will be permabanned.

Where do you see that?

^ I totally hope that's true.
*Likes blui129's post*
Newman should already have been permbanned.
TPCI should know about this.

Cutting his deck would of prevented the cheating, just like in any situation of cheating...

pkolaboy said:
Cutting his deck would of prevented the cheating, just like in any situation of cheating...

That has already been discussed.
It was on a trust basis, If you seen in the beginning of the game,
Ryan Soles actually did cut his deck.
But after a few other times of shuffling. Ryan decided not to cut his deck out of respect.
Unsuspecting, Newman did end up cheating. He could have cut his deck, but Newman also didn't cut his deck. So he was under the impression that this was a friendly game.
I would really like to know Ryan's opinion on this whole ordeal.

Coming from Magic, scooping to someone is not a rare thing. If for example, I had no way of making the Top 8 but my opponent does if they win the match, I will in most cases concede to them. Note that most cases does not cover them being a d*** about it or trying to pressure me into it.

I have had a situation where at one tournament, going into the last swiss round, it worked out that even with a win, I'd end up 1 point short of the required total to Top 8. My opponent could make it if he won. When we sat down, I asked how he was going and he explained the above to me, adding he was very nervous. I had no stake in the prizes for the top 8 and after a chat with the guy, who is still to this day a good friend of mine, I told him I would concede the match.

I think something like this is more of a common courtesy situation - which I'm not surprised would be common. After all, if you know you have no chance at going for big prizes but your opponent might if he wins, you might as well be nice and give him the win, and why not, just play a fun game or two after that. This kind of thing I've heard is somewhat common in Pokemon as well - though I haven't ever placed high enough to actually notice what goes on at top tables.

But yeah, I'd classify that under acts of courtesy to other players.

Back