Build A Better Format #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, unfortunately it wouldn't really be worth it in 90% of decks to waste your energy attachment on one draw, and afterall the point of this discussion is to find consistency cards that any deck can use.

Here's a fun idea. Hate to make another Dialga, but it's the only one that would make sense.

Dialga EX 180 {DRG}

Roar of Time: Once during the game if Dialga EX is your active Pokemon, you may draw all your face down prize cards. If you do, return cards from your hand equal to the number of cards you took.

{M}{F} Worm Hole: Remove the highest stage Evolution card from one of your opponent's Benched Pokemon, and shuffle it into your opponent's deck.

Weakness: {R} Resistance: {P} Retreat: {C}{C}{C}

Electrode 100 hp{L}
Ability : buzzap : when this Pokemon is knocked out search ur deck for 3energy cards and attach them to three different pokemon.

{L} {L} Lightning strike : you may discard all {L} attached to this Pokemon to do +70 damage : 50+
weakness {F}x2: retreat cost 0

Seek Energy

Seek Energy provides [C] energy. When this Energy is sent to the discard pile, search your deck for a Trainer card, and add it to your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

---

Salamance - 140 HP [D]
Stage 2 - Evolves from Bagon

Ability: Moxie. While this Pokemon is in play, whenever your opponent's Pokemon is knocked out, draw 1 card for every Energy sent to the discard pile.

[R][W][C] Energy Overload: 60+ damage. You can detach any number of Energy attached to this Pokemon and attach them to the Defending Pokemon. This attack does 30 more damage for each Energy attached this way.

Weakness: [W] Resistance: [G] Retreat: [C][C][C]

----

I imagine people would say "Why aren't you running Skyla instead?" The answer is that Seek Energy is usable in more situations and with more cards, without the initial -2 neg that Junk Arm has. Juniper actually gives you 8 cards to work with, etc.

Salamance gives you a great opportunity to plus, at the cost of losing some Energy attachments. Detaching a [F][W] for its attack takes out a 120HP Pokemon, and gives you at least a plus 2 (potentially anything as much as a +5.

Of course, my knowledge of the meta is pretty terrible. These cards are either too broken or too slow.

If you were playing this game a few years ago, you might remember this card:

Code:
Iris

Search your deck for a supporter, a basic energy card and a trainer card, show them to your opponent and put them in your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.
Basically Cyrus' Conspiracy, only without the limit on TGI Trainers. You can search for an Iris using an Iris, and be pretty much set to go by turn 2. While it is another supporter to add to your deck, Iris is incredibly flexible. With few cards that search out supporters (I think Random Receiver is the only one, but I haven't played in a month or so), Iris can grab that crucial Juniper, Collector, etc and you'll have it for the next turn. While this is a powerful effect, N stops it from being too powerful. But its hard to ignore the huge set up potential Iris gives you. You get an energy card (hey cool. Now I don't have to use another trainer card to get it), a supporter (grab that Collector to finish set up next turn, grab a Juniper if your hand sucks, or chain some Iris, and you grab a trainer (hey, it's a heavy ball. Now I can get a Terrakion).

The one thing I miss about the SP metagame was this awesome card. Setting up was so easy.

Dialga is very cool, but it might be a little overpowered. It's basically a draw 6 and return 6, as well as taking cards out of your prize cards.

Electrode is pretty unusable in everything but Eels, and in Eels I would see it being used for the attack, not the ability.

I really like Seek Energy. Salamence is also a pretty cool card. It being a Stage 2 would make it less splashable, but with Ditto 1-0-1 lines might come back.

Iris also seems like a very nice consistency card.

puddizzle said:
Salamance - 140 HP [D]
Stage 2 - Evolves from Bagon

You sure about that?

alexmf2 said:
Dialga is very cool, but it might be a little overpowered. It's basically a draw 6 and return 6, as well as taking cards out of your prize cards.

I tried ballancing it by making it an EX, requiring it to be in the active spot with 3 retreat, not being able to do any damage, etc. What do you think about not being able to use it if you have more than five cards in your hand? Or maybe instead of prize cards, cards on the bottom of your deck?

What about a 60-70 HP basic with no evolution with a simple attack and an Ability that lets you draw a card if you have 5 or more prizes left? Any deck could use it, provided they have the bench space, and it's not going to help a deck that's already doing great.

Example:

Luvdisc {W} HP 70 Basic

Ability: Once during your turn, you may look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Choose one of them and put it into your hand. Put the other card on the bottom of your deck. You may only use this ability if you have 5 or more remaining prize cards.

{C} Sweet Kiss: 10
Flip a coin. If heads, the defending Pokemon is now asleep.

Weakness: {L}
Resistance:
Retreat: 0

70 HP and 0 retreat means it's not bad to start with, and it's not easily donkable. The attack can be used to attempt to stall, but it certainly isn't overpowered, and colorless energy again helps with any deck. Being able to draw 2 cards would probably be too much, but this ability is still worth using a level ball on if you have no supporters.

I don't really like it, you don't really have many consistency problems early game, you usually get them after a few prizes are taken and then it would just be worthless. Plus it would also be a waste of a bench space once you take a prize.

Odd. My deck hardly runs out of steam, and the only consistency problems I have are horrid openings such as one Basic, 1/4 of my decks energy and cards like Switch. But then again, I run six Supporters and 25 Trainers with built in draw.

By the time you get 2 prizes, I would think you'd be set up pretty well. Unless of course, you're running Darkrai/Tornadus or something, which doesn't really need much help anyway. For example, by the time Empoleon/Terrakion takes 2 prizes they've probably got at least one Empoleon set up. ZekEels should have at least 1 Eel out. Garchomp should have a couple Altaria and Gabites. Basically, unless you're running a basic deck, you should be able to get set up with this card without it overpowering your opponent toward the end. Alternatively, it could just be "While you have more prizes than your opponent.", but that doesn't help against a bad start until you've started losing, and your opponent can sort of abuse it by setting up multiple KOs at the same time.

alexmf2 said:

Electrode is pretty unusable in everything but Eels, and in Eels I would see it being used for the attack, not the ability.

I really like Seek Energy. Salamence is also a pretty cool card. It being a Stage 2 would make it less splashable, but with Ditto 1-0-1 lines might come back.

It's a guaranteed Smeargle without having to rely on your opponent having PONT, so it brings two "broken" cards back into the format:

Professor Oak's New Theory and Smeargle.

The fact that its an EX doesn't make much difference.

alexmf2 said:

What's wrong with energy consistency? And yes electrode is geared to electric decks. Plus its ability is in a long line of electrodes that die for energy consistancy or acceleration.

Milky said:
It's a guaranteed Smeargle without having to rely on your opponent having PONT, so it brings two "broken" cards back into the format:

Professor Oak's New Theory and Smeargle.

The fact that its an EX doesn't make much difference.

First of all, Smeargle did not help the format. Smeargle sped it up, which we do not want. Second of all, Smeargle almost always gave you hand refresh. Getting 6 cards to choose from is completely overpowered, even more so because they are from your prizes.

Gastrodon. {W} hp110
Ability : Continental turf war : once per turn when u play this Pokemon from ur hand search ur deck for 1 card. Search ur deck for 2 cards instead if u already had one gastrodon in play. Search for three instead if ur opponent has a gastrodon in play. Regardless shuffle ur deck afterwards. Then place the select card(s) on top of ur deck.

{W}{F}{C} mud slide : 50

Weakness {G} : resistance : - retreat : {C}{C}{C}{C}

I like it, but it doesn't really matter if you get more than one card because the next turn you will probably use hand refresh. Also, N is going to be a 4-of in almost every deck, making it so that there is a big chance that you won't even be able to get that first card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back