Best Play for Spring Battle Roads!

Pokeman

The great snake rules forever!
I am creating this thread to discuss what in your opinion is the best deck choice for Spring Battle Roads this year. The deck that you would see coming out victory in most Areas.

I think Sabledonk will be pretty big, but what are good decks that are able to counter that deck and still be good for the people that are not running Sabledonk. My area I don't expect to see to many Sabledonks, so I want to pretty much know what you think is the best play.

Pokeman

The great snake rules forever!
Lol I do not see how that is supposed to be any good in this kind of format. It only has 30 hp it is begging to get donked. Vilegar could be a good idea though.

Futa

Aspiring Trainer
In a format with Sabledonk, 30HP on the Basic of your main attacker isn't a good idea. In any other format, probably.

Anyways, Sabledonk will be popular. People will be playing it to either win or prove that there should be a mid-season rotation. The other decks are Vileplume variants and Luxchomp. Spiritomb is still probably your best bet against Sabledonk, and Luxchomp is Luxchomp.

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
KINGDRA. Nah I don't really know, IMO BR's this year isn't about winning. I think the best play will be the deck that you will miss the most after rotation with the techs you will miss the most after rotation. If you wanted to go down the I'm a crazy uptight Worlds player who won't be happy until I have a first place trophy in my hands route, or if you are on the edge of an invite, I'd try going with LuxChomp or Sabledonk. I could see Gyarados doing well too if you are playing Defenders, so Luxray can't get the OHKO.

thefleeee

Uber N00b
I have tested my VIlePluff out and 8/10 times I start 3-4 basics one of which is usually Spiritomb so I think it could do well

julliant

Aspiring Trainer
How about Reshiboar MD-on? The standard lines of Reshiboar, with Sableye as a starter and Uxies, BTS etc.

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
GHJamesGH said:
Vilegar with spiritomb and maybe some sableye and Sablelock will be the decks that win the most BRs.

Sigging that. Tech Spiritomb into your Vilegar builds!

I'm not really caring for this event tbh. I'm just gonna play my rogue deck and Sabledonk for different events. The problem with our rogue is that it loses to basicly everything else lol.

Has anyone tested the Vilegar matchup with Sabledonk? It's in Sabledonk's favor :/

EDIT nvm put it in my bio.

Sableye increases your chance of winning though. 3-4 in every deck could help.

El Radar

AKA Le Radar
@tyraniking I've actually tested it, and it pretty much depends on the start.

both decks have the same chance of starting with the ideal pokemon, so it pretty much comes down to the start, which is a wash. I say it's 50/50, not in either deck's favor.

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
Well the thing is, in order to have the favorable start in Vilegar, you need to have double Spiritomb in play to avoid Regice. Sometimes I've gotten around even that with Sabledonk.

btw, in case you were curious, 8-4 vs. Vilephan. I didn't wanna test against Vilegar cuz I knew Donphan would be harder to donk and stuff, and it had space for Mesprits, etc. I ended up going 8-4 against it. If I can go 8-4 against a more unfavorable Vileplume varient, Vilegar shouldn't be too much different. Most of Sabledonk's matchups are based on luck, but when i start winning that much, it's plainly unfavorable.

aikira21

Aspiring Trainer
In my area it is Sabledonk. It has showed up at every league event and people are gloating about playing it. Hence why I decided to judge instead of playing in it. I just refuse to play in this current format.

AmishEskimoNinja

Hating durant since 11/16/11
Tyraniking said:
Well the thing is, in order to have the favorable start in Vilegar, you need to have double Spiritomb in play to avoid Regice. Sometimes I've gotten around even that with Sabledonk.

Only the worst sabledonk decks use regice. You end up having to run collectors so you can get the regice out, which clog up your hand and keep the deck from working. Plus since you used your supporter already, you won't be able to get that third knockout if they happened to start with three pokemon (which does happen)

GHJamesGH

Retired Mod
Believe it or not sabledonk does have a little bit of a favorable match-up on Vilegar, depending on how you run it. If you don't run the unown R engine (which through testing, have found out isn't needed), it greatly increases your chances of opening with Sableye. Yes, there are the same odds of having Sableye and Spiritomb in your opening hand, but you have to consider the fact that Vilegar has WAY more basics that it could start with instead.

Shiny Shinx

WE ARE IN THE BEAM
i haz an evil rogue... It made a bit of a showing in DP-on, according to Bulbapedia, and still works. Let's just say it locks your Bench...

~SS

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
Legoslock? Lol.

A deck good against Sabldonk and Vilegar... Magnerock :).