Banning Mobile Devices from Posting

King Arceus said:
Bolt the Cat said:
The only thing that really bothers me about people posting on mobile devices is when they sign off with "sent from X device", it's really unnecessary to say that.

I think it does that automatically, but I could be wrong.

It can always be disabled or replaced by a custom message.

I usually post from a computer, but when someone else is using it and im not on, I have to use my ipod , it lags the hell out when I try to type a post so I write the post on notes and copy/paste, I would like it if they weren't banned

They aren't banned. The thread was a question to see if mobile devices should be banned, due to spam.

The answer is a unanimous "no", since mobile device posting has no relation to the quality of posts.

^tl;dr of thread

I feel the need to add that any user agent block for smartphones and tablets can easily be bypassed (on Android, at least), making any ban like this ultimately and utterly pointless.

Its wrong to stop people from posting on the go. Its a modern world, many peeps are on the go and do this in their spare time or when bored. I use the computer, mmm, in a blue moon? Im on the 3DS the rest of the time, day and night, because its easier, i can MOVE with it and easily get back to stroking my eevees on Pokemon X! I make a few spelling mistakes, but youre supposed to forgive mistakes. I tend to type fast and hit the wrong letter and not notice, but this is a FORUM, not a story. What about shorthand? From a 3DS as white as Snowpoint city.

Ban tapatalk because it adds an annoying message to every post (warning for every tapatalk post). Other than that, no.

I meant for tapatalk. Sorry, but I like to save money by not using the Web browser

Sent from my PantechP8010 using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Banning Mobile Devices from Posting

I use my phone for pokebeach alot. It helps when I'm either away from home or starting up my computer is just too much work. I think that phones aren't the problem it's just the new users that maybe don't understand.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

No, I'm not for banning it, but I agree that it can be annoying. I must say that when I do use a phone, I make sure everything is spelled correctly and punctuated correctly. I always use my iPad, and the automated spellcheck can be annoying. But, I usually catch these mistakes. I just wish people on their phones would look over their messages before they sent them. I, too have the message "sent from my iPad" when I email, but, thankfully, not when I'm posting. It's hard to notice them sometimes. Only when I view my sent messages does it show up. Also, I'm sure many people on this site have their phones or iPads/Non-iPads with them throughout the day and check up on Pokebeach. It's easier to reply to a thread or message then and there rather then wait to go home and send a message (many people will forget).

For those curious, you can turn the email message off in settings. For the iPad, go to settings, then Mail, Contacts, and Calendars, then change the signature.

Haunted Water said:
Was tapatalk banned? I can'taaccess the forums on it.

I already asked mod cause I can't access this forum from tapatalk too.

Drohn said:
There were some issues with Tapatalk so it's no longer supported. This might be changed in the future, but we're not sure. Other mobile webbrowsers still work, as far as I know!

:(

Is there a way to disable the "Sent from Mobile device" messages at the end of posts? It's really annoying.

There are settings for people to remove such messages being sent from their own phones, but there's nothing PokéBeach can do about it on our end.

Well, I'll say I use a phone all the time to access the site. It is the only way I can during the workday. And I really want to answer all those questions in the Ask a Professor forum when I see them!

(P.S. since I signed up with Facebook integration, I actually don't know how to log in any other way... I assume that I have a password for the site, but I don't know what it is...) :)

Angela Anuszewski said:
(P.S. since I signed up with Facebook integration, I actually don't know how to log in any other way... I assume that I have a password for the site, but I don't know what it is...) :)

You can login to the forums via facebook on a PC/Laptop.
I'm not 100% sure how the facebook login stuff works but you could try resetting your password maybe.

Brave Vesperia said:
5. What if you or any Mod/S-Mod had an emergency and the only way to get in touch was anything BUT a computer? <--- A very important question I would like to know the answer to!

None of this has any bearing on if PokéBeach itself allows mobile apps to access the site. All of the PokéBeach staff keep in contact on a regular basis; we all have each other's skypes and e-mails, those who have smartphones use WhatsApp to contact each other for free, many staff have shared their phone numbers around, etc. Some of this information is also stored off-site in case the site is down. In the event that there was some kind of catastrophic emergency with the site, one of the staff would probably simply call WPM on his cell phone number. We often have communication with WPM and other staff over skype when the site is down or there are other problems. If a mod is having a personal emergency, they can obviously get in touch with the others without having to rely on the site.

I know this is a late response, but since you said it was important (and felt the need to bring it up against recently elsewhere) I thought I would respond, and I hope this is adequate. The PokéBeach staff honestly has some of the best communication of any site that I've worked for.

I am a proponent of allowing access via mobile devices. Most of my forum browsing is done via TapaTalk. It allows me to browse and often, quickly reply.
I am often able to generate a more properly formatted response quickly via the App as opposed to trying to use a mobile browser. Most of my online time is done via mobile devices.

Brave Vesperia said:
I know I'm just chewing up and spitting out everyone else's words here, but I'm against it.

1. How could you possibly enforce such a rule other than making a rule saying so?

2. Is it possible to know every device someone can log in and post with?

3. How would you actually be able to tell what device the post came from?

4. How could you actually ban the specific device?

5. What if you or any Mod/S-Mod had an emergency and the only way to get in touch was anything BUT a computer? <--- A very important question I would like to know the answer to!

I am totally against the legislation, however, I would like to add that it would be easy to ban mobiles, but it would be easy for them to circumvent it.

Back