While I did enjoy watching Season 2 I felt as though it concluded in a dues ex machina. While Korra was regaining her memories as the Avatar when the series did a flashback on Avatar Wan's life of how he became the first Avatar I remember Raava saying to Wan that her and Vaatu are like Yin and Yang where one cannot exist without the other yet when Korra ends up vanquishing Vaatu and Unalaq, Raava should've been vanquished as well since Raava can't exist without Vaatu.

What Korra should've done was extract both Raava and Vaatu from Unalaq with Jenora's help to seal Vaatu back into the Tree of Time in the Spirit World just like what Avatar Wan did 10,000 years ago so that she could still remain the Avatar despite that both Vaatu and Unalaq severed the link to her Avatar predecessors. Even If Korra managed to spare Unalaq's life by throwing him in prison for the crimes he committed he probably would've found a way to escape to get back at her alongside Zaheer, P'Li, Ming-Hua, and Ghazan who tried to kidnap Korra when she was a kid.

As for Season 3 I'm really enjoying it so far even though I still don't get how Raava managed to survive without Vaatu being sealed up in the Tree of Time so that Korra could still be the Avatar. I was happy to see Mako and Bowlin reunited with their family and the scene where Mako gave his grandmother the red scarf that his father owned was touching even though in Season 1 he said that it was his mother's scarf not his father's when the photo that Mako and Bowlin's grandmother revealed showed the father wearing the scarf instead of the mother. In the next episode it looks like Korra masters metal bending.

My memories of the previous season are kind of blurred, but when Korra defeated Vaatu I assumed he went inside of her and raava. Similar to how Vaatu and Unalaq did once they defeated her. I could be wrong though. lol

As for the topic at hand, I'm actually enjoying their tribute to the last series.
I was curious about the evolution of both the earth kingdom and the fire nation. Especially with the fire nation no longer being the enemy and what not. Ever since the first season the big question I had was how did the entire world change after the adventures of Aang & co. Sure, republic city was an answer for that, but I wanted more.
So therefore I'm happy with how everything is going. Combustion man was never really my fave, so I don't really care that his long lost whatever she is to him is now a main villian, so yeah. haha

Speaking of the new "villians" I'm just curious how these four are more of a threat than Vaatu. lol idk it just seems like the villians can't get any worst then that.

Personally I don't think these guys are villians. Sure they're trying to kidnap korra, but why? What's their motive? Do they just want her destroyed? Or is there another reason they don't want anyone else to know? Maybe in some twisted way they want to protect her from something. Meh. Only time will tell guess. hehe

So apparently Nickelodeon has pulled Korra from airing, but will release the last few episodes online at a later date. I'm not surprised that the ratings are low because they never advertised this season and I never even knew it was airing until like 3 days before the season started. What the hell else are they going to air instead, though? Will they seriously make more money airing another Spongebob rerun than this show? Good thing season 4 has already been ordered and it's too late to cancel it. I can't wait for Nickelodeon to just die already.

They what?!

I'm actually surprised that they decided to pull it off air. Out of all the shows they were airing, I would have thought that Korra might have been the top series on the network. Apparently that assumption was wrong.

I don't have Nick, so I wouldn't exactly know about their advertising situation, but reading that they failed to do this is really a fault on their half and can't blame the cause solely on ratings.

Someone needs to slap them across the face.

This is honestly quite disappointing. This season has been really quite good so far and moments of last season were honestly excellent. I really didn't know the ratings were so anemically low that this is warranted mid-season, but it is what it is. Friday night is honestly the death slot for TV and it's been that way for a long time.

I can't say I'm not that surprised that they're basically pulling it from TV though. I had a feeling they would eventually get there when they posted the finale online a full week before TV last season. Just a little surprised it's happened in the middle of this season but with everything that's happened with the show, not too surprised.

dmaster out.

How dumb. Why did they pull it out of friday slot if they knew rating is not going well, because they didn't advertise AT ALL!

Wasn't there something about a "4 season contract unless otherwise noted" too? Or is that just a rumor? I think I read somewhere that the studio had a contract with Nick saying that 4 seasons was it unless they got approved for more seasons?
Does anyone know anything about this?

dmaster said:
Friday night is honestly the death slot for TV and it's been that way for a long time.
I didn't even think about that. Switching from Saturday mornings, iirc, to Friday evenings probably had something to do with it.
Vulpix-core said:
Wasn't there something about a "4 season contract unless otherwise noted" too? Or is that just a rumor? I think I read somewhere that the studio had a contract with Nick saying that 4 seasons was it unless they got approved for more seasons?
Does anyone know anything about this?
Yeah 4 seasons have been ordered and the 4th is currently in production, so it's too late for Nickelodeon to back out now.

Cinesra said:
dmaster said:
Friday night is honestly the death slot for TV and it's been that way for a long time.
I didn't even think about that. Switching from Saturday mornings, iirc, to Friday evenings probably had something to do with it.

Maybe but either way it is a death slot for TV and that is evidenced from ratings of a variety of shows that have died from being on Friday nights.

dmaster out.

According to Bryke at their SDCC pannel; the switch to digital was because the digital views have always been huge. They made it sound like the switch was to benefit more from online viewing and not because of shitty ratings. I can't say I entirely believe them. Also the next episode airs Friday online on various sites like nick, netflix, hulu, iirc.

On the bright side at least the Avatar: Legend of Korra series didn't get cancelled since Season 4 is already in production right now plus there's other sources to watch the series online. Korra reminds me of an Anime series I used to watch on CN's Adult Swim block a few years ago known as Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit since Korra reminds me of Balsa in alot of ways yet it's a shame the English Dub for it got cancelled probably due to low ratings.

Cinesra said:
According to Bryke at their SDCC pannel; the switch to digital was because the digital views have always been huge. They made it sound like the switch was to benefit more from online viewing and not because of shitty ratings. I can't say I entirely believe them. Also the next episode airs Friday online on various sites like nick, netflix, hulu, iirc.

Well, of course if online views are growing, then yeah, that incentives the move. But that's not a reason to just stop showing it on TV all together (unless of course it's not cost efficient to do so which apparently it isn't...). It's a combination of factors and ratings are at the heart of it clearly.

dmaster out.

Moved to Member Clubs. As with all Member Clubs, you guys have been recognized as an awesome group of followers. Continue your discussion.

I know that no one's used this thread for a while, but can we please talk about how heart-wrenching that last episode was? I don't want to post any spoilers for those who haven't seen it, but just... damn. There's nothing else to say to that.

The Ultimatum was definitely one of the best episodes of the season so far. The drama and intensity of the situation were carried the whole way through (save for the few brief comedic relief skits).

As for the episode's ending...
If there was any time to display Tenzin's true mastery of his element, it was here. He was clearly far superior to Zaheer in skill and strength, and was even holding up well against him, Ghazan, and Ming-hua for the most part. It was really P'li who threw him off (possibly due to his lack of familiarity with combustion bending versus earth, water, and air?).

I seriously doubt that the Red Lotus will kill Tenzin, as he's their main source of leverage against Korra. That's pretty obvious. The main question (I feel) is what Korra is going to do about it, and if Tenzin will actually get out alive by the end of the season. She might surrender, but it seems more characteristic that she will try to take them on herself and (presumably) lose.

This is by far the best Korra season. It hasn't reached the awesomeness of the Aang series, but it's still amazing.

I felt so bad for Tenzin. He really did show how he earned the title of an Air Bending Master. It's hard for anyone to defend against combustion benders. Aang had a lot of trouble with one in the previous series and eventually they only managed to temporarily mess up his ability, which led to his death due to him standing on that thing he was standing on. Bolin got a good shot at the new combustion bender when they took Korra and that really seems to be the only way to stop them.

I feel really sad for Tenzin now and I hope he'll be alright. Also, who would teach all the new air benders everything they need to know if the last air bending master dies. :( They did mention Jinora was being considered to be an air bending master. I worry that this was to replace Tenzin, meaning he might not survive.

Makaio said:
How dumb. Why did they pull it out of friday slot if they knew rating is not going well, because they didn't advertise AT ALL!

No! I wanted to watch the last three episodes back-to-back. ;_; Now nothing is on Fridays!

This is about the finale
Have you watched it yet? You really shouldn't spoil it for yourself...

Well let me just go ahead and say my prediction was wrong! Korra DID surrender herself.

That Zaheer and friends were pulling a ruse was expected, but I was honestly surprised to see just how they did it. Probably should've noticed that Ming-Hua was missing...

I was kinda impressed with how much bending Korra was able to actually do with her hands and feet bound together. Sorta reminds me of Kind Bumi.

P'Li's died quite gruesomely, but I can't say I didn't expect it. Honestly it was a pretty clever move on Suyin's part. Poor Zaheer :(.

Overall, the fightscene between Korra and her father and Zaheer was generally cool. Maybe not as cool as his fight against Tenzin, but still. Tonraq came so close to putting an icicle right through Zaheer's head. Oh well, it would've been too easy anyways.

And then he just pulled a Solomon and flew away. "Well I guess he doesn't need a ride" was probably the most astute observation of the season. He might not have been a practiced air bending master, but he had the theory down more than anyone. I thought Zaheer had some wacky escape planned when he fell of the cliff, but that was the wackiest.

Bolin was a lavabender. Just about everyone called it.

And then we get our first real information about the Red Lotus besides Zaheer and friends. What I'm most confused about is why they left the duty of guarding the air benders to just two random guys, as opposed to letting Ghazan or Ming-Hua do it. Maybe their numbers weren't that great? I guess it's not like they had tons of time to revive a thirteen-year-dead secret organization.

The call backs to seasons 1 and 2 were appreciated. I don't know how Zaheer didn't expect Korra to break free one she was in the Avatar state. The chains were platinum but the rocks they were bolted to sure weren't. Metal poison was kind of convenient, but what can you do.

Bolin + Mako vs. Ming-Hua + Gazhan was another great fight. Bolin showed off the new skills naturally and Mako finally pulled off the lightning bending trick that everyone was asking for back at The Stakeout. Pokemon rules still applied: Water is weak to Electricity! Don't exactly know why Gazhan decided to take himself out, but it's not like he could have taken both Bolin and Mako at that point. Self Destruct and miss.

All that was left was the one-on-one. Zaheer's air flight against Korra's Avatar-state fire flight (which I still don't understand; that's not how rockets work!). Zaheer only had to stall long enough for the poison to work over (toxic stall?), and that's all he did. Just dodging and bending defensively. And he would have won too if not for those meddling-- I mean the combined strength of the air benders. He really was so close, but obviously the tornado won out. Just one last effort on Korra's part and he was grounded. Conveniently, the poison was metal based (how Jinora figured that out I'm not sure, but I would guess she heard it in some off-screen conversation between the guards) and Zaheer's last laugh was in vain. He probably got carefully carted off back to some newly outfitted prison after this for the rest of his days.

The last season was a nice closer. We pick back up to a recovering Avatar (show's she's not immortal, I guess) and the ceremony to recognize Jinora's mastery of air bending.I like that this gives us an actual explanation for what will happen between this and the next season.We'll probably return to the adventures of the Air bending world task force.

And with that, voila! An excellent (in my opinion) season finale! I do feel like the missed an opportunity to explain the back stories of the Red Lotus a bit more, but I can let that go. With everything but the Earth Kingdom resolved (probably for next season) it's a fine note to leave off on. Now the brutal months of inter-season speculation can begin!

EDIT2: Almost forgot. Kuvira's introduction was certainly ominous. She's definitely going to be important in Season 4.

EDIT: I thought you could nest Spoiler tags. Turns out you can't.
Edit by Drohn: It is possible. You can edit this post to see how the coding works.

Back