Artistic Inquiries Thread - Ask Anything Related to Art!

RE: Art Questions Thread

Making Fakemon really is mostly done by drawing/scanning/coloring, but if you can't do it, you could play around with the Pentool on Adobe Illustrator, but IMO that's much harder than drawing it by hand.

adan15 said:
Does anybody know a good program for making fakemon cuz i don't want to draw it because I am a horrible drawer

There is no shortcut to making art. Learn to draw. Or commission someone to do it.

adan15 said:
Does anybody know a good program for making fakemon cuz i don't want to draw it because I am a horrible drawer

No good program, but good advice:

Watch MORE cartoons :3

^- surely, this isn't hard for you XD

Watching cartoons does not help your artistic capability. I mean, if it did, all kids who watch cartoons would grow up to be naturally good at drawing to begin with.

I agree with XieRH, however, I study Ken Sugimori's drawings to learn a few of his techniques, and it helps make my Pokemon look more pokemon-like.

Check my last post in The Ban Game.
You can use any decent web editing software that has an eraser tool and works with layers. Simply erase what you want transparent and save it as a .png.
If you need software to do that, you can get Paint.NET for free, and it's very advanced for a free program.

EDIT: Robot... deleted his post? D':
Oh well. He still saw this anyway, and I hope it helps people who need a transparent background regardless.

Pokevortex, layers does not equal transparency. That is handled by the alpha channel.

Oh right. I think you've got a lot more know-how with digital design than I do. :D

What is the best quality online uploader? I've been uploading with tinypic, but the images seem very low quality.

Photobucket is high quality, easy to use, and has some extra features like resizing and rotating. IMO, it's the best image sharing site.

photobucket keeps giving me stupid occasional javascript issues though... and alas the upload button uses javascript.

Tinypic is superior to photobucket if you're constantly needing to upload images. It's faster, simpler, and uses the same editor as photobucket iirc. Also, there's no bandwidth limit.

The only downside is that you can't upload more than 5 files at a time. There's a "Upload More" button which opens 5 "slots", you select an image to upload per slot. There's also the captcha thing, but that only appears if you upload something from the homepage. Go into your personal archive thing-a-ma-what and you no longer have to worry about it. :3

There's no bandwidth limit on Photobucket either.

And you can upload as many files as you want with no capatcha. I've uploaded 300 images at one time once.

I'm pretty sure Photobucket has a bandwidth limit, if I recall it is monthly.

Is there a way to put an image on GIMP? What I do,is make the banner with MS Paint,and do the extra stuff with GIMP. I also have another question,how do you animate things?

File > Open.
That's how you get an image on GIMP.
If you need to open another image but on the same picture (in a separate layer) do:
File > Open as layers.

Animations... I haven't done that in awhile, but basically, you get every frame of the animation as a layer and then you can set what fraction of a second for each to appear and then save it as .gif.
You probably need to look up a tutorial, since I forget exactly what the steps are.

Umbreon/Espeon said:
Is there a way to put an image on GIMP? I also have another question,how do you animate things?

Copy the pic to clipboard. Open gimp and do a paste operation (the usual ctrl+v). If a pic is already open in gimp, the pic will be pasted in. If no document is open, a fresh new document is made in the exact dimensions of the pic you copied, and the pic will be pasted in.

To animate, treat each layer as a frame. Gimp will play the animation in sequence from BOTTOM to TOP. The layer name specifies the timeframe in milliseconds in parenthesis , for example Frame 2 (60ms). For details, read http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Simple_Animations/

Why on Sugimori's artwork of Emmet & Ingo are they both pointing down?
screenshot_35346.jpg
Shouldn't Ingo be pointing up (Nobori, up-train; Kudari, down-train)? Since they are mirror images of each other besides the color differences and smile/frown, you don't think he could have forgotten, do you? pfffffffft naw XD He did correctly place the armbands after all...

BlueBeach said:
Why on Sugimori's artwork of Emmet & Ingo are they both pointing down?

Erm... this is really more of a place to ask for technical questions pertaining to art, not so much critique on other people's art.

Back