BW/BW2 Are Reshiram and Zekrom too easy to catch?

What should Reshiram and Zekrom's catch rate be?

Votes: 16 53.3%

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

keldeo91

Intermediate Hacker
I want to see your opinions about the fact that Reshiram and Zekrom are made extraordinarily easy to capture. Their catch rate is 45, where the highest possible catch rate is 255. The higher the number, the easier to catch that Pokemon. With a catch rate of 45, the same as a Deino, if you throw a regular Poke Ball at Reshiram or Zekrom at full health with no status ailment, the odds of success are 5.9%. Sounds low, until you consider the fact that most legendaries have a catch rate of 3, meaning in the aforementioned circumstances with one of these Pokemon, the chances of success are 0.4%. This applies to the Legendary Birds, Mewtwo, Legendary Dogs, Ho-oh and Lugia, Legendary Golems, the Beldum Chain, Rayquaza, etc. etc. etc. Volcarona is 3 times as difficult to catch as Reshiram and Zekrom, with a catch rate of 15. Basically, do you think that Reshiram and Zekrom should be given the difficult catch rate of 3? Discuss!

The capture rate of Zekrom/Reshiram are high because I suppose the developers didn't want to ruin your momentum. Beating the Elite four, Galactic headquartes appears and facing the champion with two legendaries in the room screams don't dallie it up
That and the plot is relevant in you catching Zekrom kinda.
...And it's a little unfair with N having 7 pokemon including a legendary when you have no legendary and 6 pokemon.

Out of any of the legendaries to catch, strictly speaking, Reshiram and Zekrom have a higher catch rate than even Dialga and Palkia...and we all know how easy they were to catch.

I believe that was done because catching Reshiram is mandatory to continue the plot (unless you filled up all 24 of your boxes beforehand). The others you can defeat, but you don't have to capture them. So yeah, they're pretty easy to catch.

Platinum was actually challenging at that point, because Giratina's catch rate was 3 - you could spend days trying to catch that thing. (It would come back later at Turnback Cave, but getting it earlier is better anyway.)

tl;dr version: Probably not 3 - maybe more like 15. If it was 3, it would take way too long to start your fight with N.

The reason it is 45 is because the game doesn't want you to lose against Reshiram and Zekrom. And they don't want you to run out of Pokeballs. Having that happen would ruin the fun in trying to catch it.

I'm fine with 45%. Sure they are legendary but they are required to catch, unless your whole PC and party is full. If they made Reshiram's/Zekrom's catch rate 3%, it could be a problem for many people, especially the younger players.

...The catch rate does not equal the percentage. You put the catch rate into a certain formula and that will tell you how likely it is to catch that Pokemon. You can read it here. Or, to save time, look at the actual formula itself. (Any HP or status refers to the target's HP/status, the rate is the Pokemon's base capture rate, and the bonus-ball figure is the multiplier the Poke Ball you're using gives. The bonus-status is 2 if it's sleeping or frozen, 1.5 if it has another major status ailment, and 1 if there is no major status ailment.)

...I spent too long explaining that.

looooool! What's so bad about them having a catch rate of 45?? That's actually a good thing. If every legendary had such catch rate, it wouldn't be so boring to catch them...

Yeah, I was fighting Reshiram, taking about 5 minutes to make sure it was as far as it's health would go, threw ONE ultra ball at it, caught it, and was like, "uh, wut?"

I don't believe shoving the Legends down people's throats was the best way to end the game. Yeah, it was a little different and all, but still. I like challenges and I consider it really the only main flaw in the game besides the post-game content.

dmaster out.

I think they could have been a little harder to catch. I caught it with a pokeball with full health on my second try.

I think that multiple factors are at work here. As I saw it before, momentum is part of it. They want to keep you interested and moving, and SRing multiple times to catch a legend isnt the way to do that. The mandatory to proceed part of it is also big, and because of that Im actually suprised it wasnt higher, or an auto catch even. Also, reshiram and zekrom are supposed to "see if your worthy" of them, and it wouldnt make sense for it to resist too much in that case.

I got Zekrom in my first Ultra Ball after my Emboar using one Flamethrower, so yes, I would say that it's too easy to catch them. I like a challenge, and this has failed to provide it.

DNA said:
Platinum was actually challenging at that point, because Giratina's catch rate was 3 - you could spend days trying to catch that thing. (It would come back later at Turnback Cave, but getting it earlier is better anyway.)
I spent a week on it until I finally caved in and Master Balled it. I guess Lugia and Ho-Oh were required in the story, in the sense that you were highly encouraged to do so, but they seemed a lot easier than that horrid Giratina.
slickmario said:
The reason it is 45 is because the game doesn't want you to lose against Reshiram and Zekrom. And they don't want you to run out of Pokeballs. Having that happen would ruin the fun in trying to catch it.

I don't know if this is true, but from guessing, I think that if you run out of Poke Balls and have to knock out Reshiram or Zekrom, the lady a few rooms back will give you an Ultra Ball. Of course, this almost guarantees the capture.

I'm all for hard captures when the thing that's being caught is completely optional, but something integral to the story (even if not required) shouldn't be overly hard to capture. This goes back to Ho-Oh and Lugia with their 3 catch rate, but something about not having to waste time with dialogue each time before trying to catch a Pokemon is much, much better (maybe I'm making stuff up, but I think that Platinum had a big unskippable chunk of dialogue before the battle with Giratina. Maybe I never saved after that and just think that it was this way).

Plus, if no one tells the catcher about catch rate and how high this one is, they can say "I totally rock at Pokemon!".

I feel having a catch rate of 45 for Reshiram and Zekrom was justified for the reason others have stated - since they're required to move the plot forward (of course barring full boxes and party), making them easy to catch keeps the momentum going. At that point in the game the tension is constantly building, so having to spend a lot of time catching Reshiram / Zekrom would be like hitting a huge brick wall. It would completely destroy the emotional buildup they're going for.

I guess Lugia and Ho-Oh were required in the story, in the sense that you were highly encouraged to do so, but they seemed a lot easier than that horrid Giratina.
They were both hellish. Ho-Oh actually took me a few days to get. Giratina only took me a couple hours. However, I don't use my Master Ball anymore out of principle, so I caught them in other Balls.

(Giratina might have taken less time because it Struggled a lot quicker and a Staraptor could absorb 2 of its attacks...Ho-Oh is just a monster.)

Have you guys ever tried to paralyzed them lol? Because I did, and I've caught them all pretty easily...

Back