Anime Recommendations

RE: Anime Recommendations Thread

Neal White said:
As for official genre I go for these: shounen, seinen, I also like mecha but haven't found one I liked outside of gundam and code geass.

I think you might enjoy Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Neal White said:
Favorite genre:
Tend to go for action and fantasy genre. Every once in awhile I like slice of life but the characters have to be good.

Specifics you are looking for:
Tend to like shows with humans or sub species of humans have powers. Can be like bleach or like the magic in fairy tail.

Desired length:
Any though I tend to like longer ones.

Based on these select points you made, I'd recommend trying out Tears to Tiara. It fits your criteria like a glove, but the plot is a little complex for me to really spell out, you have to try it out for yourself. If you don't mind a few Gaelic accents I think you'll have a nice fantasy adventure. I'd also recommend trying out a few episodes instead of ditching after the first; although I'd recommend that for any show really.

Favorite genre(s): I like Action, Romance, Fantasy with a touch of comedy.
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: I liked: Black Butler, Bleach, Sword Art Online, Dead man's Wonderland, Inyuyasha, .Hack, FMA both of them, One Piece, Naruto, Rosario+Vampire, Princess TuTu, Steingate. Tsubasa, and Soul Eater.
Specifics you're looking for: I like anime that allows you to get to know the characters, while having a fantasy touch. also like how the characters can have a serious side and comical side. like Itchigo in Bleach.
Desired length: I recommend long but I can deal with short anime sometimes like Soul Eater.
Anime you've already seen: Same as Previously liked
Anything else?:Well I don't know what to watch next does anyone have any suggestions?

Ghost King: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica, Michiko to Hatchin, Psycho-Pass, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

However Ghost King, if you ever want to try stepping out of your comfort zone, try something like Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

Since you like Action, Romance, Fantasy, and some Comedy, I think you will love Fate/Stay Night. It's very short, however, with 24 episodes believe. I read that you prefer longer anime, but I think you will find it worth watching. It has all the genres you indicated!

Ghost King said:
Favorite genre(s): I like Action, Romance, Fantasy with a touch of comedy.

Code Geass: Lelouch of The Rebellion- It's about 50 episodes long if that's long enough for you, and it perfectly fits all of the mentioned genres.

I would recommend SGT. Frog/Keroro Gunsou to anybody who needs a good laugh. I've watched the first 3 seasons and some of season 4(although season 4 is kinda mediocre at times.) and nearly every episode makes me laugh so much that it sometimes wakes people up! However, don't be fooled by the way it looks and all the funny moments, the show has a lot of sad and heartwarming moments too. One of my biggest problems with it is Natsumi hogs a lot of the character development from everyone else! She is a good character but it's pretty aggravating how there are WAY too many episodes about her when they could have been about other characters. Also, another problem I have with it is the way the character's personalities change throughout the show. In season 1 Keroro was really dumb but had some good ideas for his invasion, in season 4, his brain is practically non existent and his plans are so stupid that his lower ranking friends have to correct him on almost everything, although his stupidity isn't that much of a bad thing because that's part of the reason why he's so hilarious. And regarding the dvd's and the fate of the show in America, Funimation split season 1 into seasons 1 and 2 and so the dvd's of season 3 is actually less than half of season 2. As of February 2013, Funimation put the show on hiatus and it is very unlikely that they will release any more episodes on dvd so if you want to watch anything past what was released on dvd, you will have to go on youtube or some anime streaming sites. I watched the show subbed but I did try the dub and I don't like the dub because they change most of the jokes into lame pop culture references.

I would recommend Yu Yu Hakusho to anyone looking for a good paranormal action series. It's amazing until the final story arc which was badly done and kinda boring. The Japanese voice acting is really good but the English voices were pretty mediocre although the dub had some hilarious lines that weren't in the sub.

My favorite genres are:
Action, adventure, slice of life, a little romance
I liked
Code geass
Attack on Titan
Fma: brotherhood
Durarara
Clannad: afterstory
Sword art online
Full metal panic? fumoofu
Specifics:
Good plot
Ep length
26-62 episodes would be fine :D
Besides the animes that I said I liked, I tried death note and One piece, but didn't like them

Mootoo, a series I recently finished watching is Fate Zero and Fate/Stay Night. The anime is full of Action. It gets very emotional (kind of how I felt from Attack on Titan, which I see you also like) and I loved watching it. There is some romance in it, but that is not the focus.

Fate/Stay Night happens after Fate Zero, but was created first. Fate Zero was made to give more backstory of the characters. I watched Fate/Stay Night first since that was the original order, but if you prefer knowing the backstory before watching the other you might prefer watching Fate Zero first.

Favourite genre(s): Mystery and Romance & Action
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Detective Conan (the best!), The Wallflower, Ouran High School, and Vampire Knight.
Specifics you're looking for: mainly mystery like Conan, maybe a little bit of horror or suspense, maybe something dark, and a mix of romance and action
Desired length: I don't want really short anime.
Anime you've already seen: Bleach, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and bits of Inyuyasha and Blood+
Anything else?: I don't really watch too many anime, and I haven't watched many in a long time. Can someone recommend me some good sites, with English subs? Also, any on IPad?

momoxmomo: Death Note, Psycho-Pass, Suisei no Gargantia, Baccano!, Durarara!!

Alright, you can thank the lovely Artemis for pointing me in this direction (again...)

Well alright, time to crank this up.

I'll just put what I am mainly looking for then.

I am on the search to expand my horizons to new anime types instead of Mecha and RomComs. So if anyone has any non RomComs it would be much appreciated.

gamefreak33797 said:
I am on the search to expand my horizons to new anime types instead of Mecha and RomComs. So if anyone has any non RomComs it would be much appreciated.
How about Psycho-Pass, Madoka Magica, Gargantia.

General recommendation: Non Non Biyori

Non Non Biyori is kinda like a crossover between Yotsuba&! and K-ON: a cute girls "club" without a club (that must get screen time and takes away from more interesting everyday activities - a huge plus) in an ingenious country setting.

The setting and age of the characters allow for actually fresh (for anime) & funny jokes and the show includes "everyday findings" which were definitely the strongest aspect of now wrongly looked down on (?) "cult hit" Lucky Star.

The absolutely adorable Yotsu... um singing little Renge-chon is the cherry on top of the cake, something I never thought I would find in a "girls club" anime. They could have easily broken the whole show by making Renge a stereotypical witty little girl who acts like she was much older than her age, and I'm so glad they didn't.

Personally I like all other characters too, and like the fact that they expanded the cast as the show went on: something that too many anime don't do, missing much potential.

How is this not the recipe for the perfect slice-of-life anime?

Hi, fellow anime fans! I want to ask your opinion.

Many friends have recommended Full Metal Alchemist for me over the years but I was too invested in other anime to watch. But now I'm only following/watching one anime (Cardfight!! Vanguard) so I figured I have time to start watching it finally, especially since it's over. However, I'm aware that there are 2 anime versions: the 2003 version which deviated from the manga, and the Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which is supposedly faithful to the source material. So... Should I watch both or should I just go for FMA: Brotherhood? I have never read the FMA manga before so FMA: Brotherhood would be mostly new to me in any case. Typically, I'm a manga-first person, and I rarely watch the series anime that don't stick to the manga unless I find the art and animation okay, which is the case for the two FMA series. What would you guys recommend?

Oh, and for fun, I'll answer the survey.

Favorite genre: Mainly mystery, action, fantasy, and comedy but my watch list is really very varied, from sports to magical girls to slice-of-life to mecha.
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: For the recent ones, there's Code Geass, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Ookiku Furikabutte, Pandora Hearts, Fairy Tail, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Yu-gi-oh, ARIA, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Fate/Stay Night/Zero/Kaleido Liner Prisma Ilya etc (Can't write them all here LOL). Currently, I'm on Cardfight!! Vanguard.
Specifics you're looking for: Eh, I'm better off recommending anime than being recommended because I've watched lots of anime/read manga over the years. But I typically like anime/manga with nice and pretty art. I'm more patient with manga than anime. I'm not very picky about genres, but horror/gory shows are low on the list (and then I contradict myself by watching and liking Jigoku Shoujo/Hell Girl -_-"). Basically though, if the plot and characters are interesting and pull me in AND the art is nice and smooth, I'll like it, no matter the genre.
Desired length: Unless I happen to really REALLY like it, I don't watch anything more than 100 episodes. Also I'm not a huge fan of fillers (but I have liked some here and there if they're good and not completely pointless). And I don't like following/watching too many series at the same time so short ones (under 50 episodes) would be highly desired.
Anime you've already seen: So many...
Anything else: I tend to be talkative and tl;dr when it comes to anime/manga, so sorry in advance :p

Jigoku Shoujo was such a bad show, but I loved watching it! :D Always meant to pick up the other but never did.

As far as your FMA question goes, we do have an FMA thread where this subject, and the differences between the two series, has been discussed, so checking out that thread might be useful to you. :)

Ah, thank you for the link! I'll check it out.

As for Jigoku Shoujo, it's not a total favorite for me either, but I still liked watching it. It's one of those anime that I watch for a change of pace. When I don't feel like watching a comedy or an action anime, I watched 2-3 episodes of Jigoku Shoujo. It's a formulaic anime, so it could get boring if watched one after the other, and the over-all plot doesn't even kick in until the last couple of episodes. I have yet to finish the 3rd season though.

Back