Anime Recommendations

Princess Jellyfish gets a huge minus for an unsatisfying ending. It just... ends. But it should really obviously continue like the manga in fact does.

It's been quite a while since I last did this, and my taste has changed a lot, as well as what I've seen and enjoyed, so, let's begin round 2!

Favourite genre(s): Lighthearted Shounen, Shoujo that can make me cry, something short and humorous, or something confusing as sh*t.

Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: One Piece, HxH 2011, Rave Master, Naruto, Anohana: The Flower We Saw that Day, TTGL, Code Geass, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, My Neighbor Totoro, FLCL

Specifics you're looking for: Good soundtrack, a good laugh, a good cry, and/or something inspirational.

Desired length: I don't really care

Anime you've already seen: All of the favorites I listed, Kuroshitsuji season 1, DTB, Kill la Kill, Fairy Tail, Dragonball, Baccano!, AoT, SAO, The Naruto spinoff about Rock Lee, a bunch of Ghibli movies, a few episodes of Fist of the North Star, and probably some other stuff I forgot.

Anything else? My friends tell me I should watch (or read) Bakuman, JJBA, Parasite, DRRR, and Soul Eater. Would you guys recommend these for me?

TokyoToots:
Shounen/Action:
Soul Eater, Kyoukai no Kanata, Lupin: Mine Fujiko, Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin

Love story ("shoujo"):
Kimi ni Todoke, Lovely Complex, Kyoukai no Kanata

Comedy:
Soul Eater, Lovely Complex, Mangaka-san to Assistant-san (short episodes / airing), Tokyo Godfathers (movie), Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, K-ON!

Cry:
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin, Perfect Blue (movie), Madoka Magica, Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (maybe)

Confusing:
Paprika (movie), Kyousou Giga (ONA + ONA 2012), Perfect Blue (movie), Lupin: Mine Fujiko, Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Akira (movie), Bakemonogatari

Teal said:
Cry:
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin, Perfect Blue (movie), Madoka Magica, Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (maybe)
What? Why would Perfect Blue make somebody cry?

I'd like to add Serial Experiments Lain and Neon Genesis Evangelion to the confusing category.

@TokyoToots:

The first show that immediately stood out to me to recommend is Haibane Renmei. It's a shortish drama (13 episodes) with beautiful music, and manages to fit into both "confusing" and "will make you cry" categories. The show follows the story of Rekka, a "Haibane" (like humans but with wings and halos that look like angels) who was newly hatched from a large egg into a mysterious town where all Haibane are trapped within the city walls. It's something of an abstract sort of drama/mystery as you explore the life of being a Haibane and what it really means.

The story itself is really good and intriguing, and there's wonderful characterization. What's most interesting, though, is the world and mythos that is built up so well, even in such a short series. The setting really conveys the mysterious atmosphere of the story and the two play well together. The art and music are also very beautiful. The biggest (only?) downside that I can think of is that it's rather slow-paced; the pacing is more like what you would find in a slice-of-life show instead of a mystery/drama, so you can get kind of anxious for things to move on.

Looking for something new since I'm reading a lot more manga than I am watching anime.

Favourite genre(s): Giant Robots, Action, Ham (see: Gurren Lagann), Cyberpunk and if it's as good as Gintama, Comedy.
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: Gurren Lagann, JJBA, Fist of the North Star, Big-O, One Punch Man, One Piece, Berserk (manga), Kill la Kill, Gantz (manga), Gunbuster, Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Outlaw Star, Guyver (old and new).
Desired length: It can be well over 100 episodes.
Anime you've already seen: Evangelion

Might get into a Gundam series or two.

Cinesra said:
Teal said:
Cry:
What? Why would Perfect Blue make somebody cry?
It makes your soul cry for the amount of disturbing mindfuck you receive.

Delta said:
Looking for something new since I'm reading a lot more manga than I am watching anime.

Favourite genre(s): Giant Robots, Action, Ham (see: Gurren Lagann), Cyberpunk and if it's as good as Gintama, Comedy.
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: Gurren Lagann, JJBA, Fist of the North Star, Big-O, One Punch Man, One Piece, Berserk (manga), Kill la Kill, Gantz (manga), Gunbuster, Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Outlaw Star, Guyver (old and new).

Suisei no Gargantia, Psycho-Pass, Legend of the Galactic Heroes (over 100 ep), Spaceship Yamato 2199.

Delta said:

Darker Than Black.
It's...well it's hard to explain. It's quite the well written mindfuck. It's partly about an anti-hero with superpowers, it's partly about other people with superpowers, partly about a cop hunting the anti-hero with superpowers, partly about society and mostly, it's about interesting characters and an equally interesting story.
There is no short explanation for Darker Than Black besides "dude, just...just watch it."
I'd tell you to avoid the second season, though, but I warn you because you just finish the series and end up wanting more.

You could also look into Trigun if you like space westerns.

Delta said:

I agree with Trigun. It's pretty great and I think you might really like it. Baccano! is pretty good as well. I personally thought it was a lot better then DTB, but that's just my opinion. Hunter X Hunter might also be to your liking. It's a longer series that Naruto is heavily influenced by, but is a LOT better than Naruto. It has it's fun at times, but can be very serious, as well. The characters are so well made and likable, and the fights aren't just characters standing there shouting at each other, like 90% of long running anime.

Vulpix-core said:
It's partly about an anti-hero with superpowers, it's partly about other people with superpowers, partly about a cop hunting the anti-hero with superpowers, partly about society and mostly, it's about interesting characters and an equally interesting story.

There's also a cat. He's my favorite character.

Favourite genre(s): horror, fantasy, maybe a little mecha
Previously-liked/Watched anime/movies: Akira, Death Note, Bleach, Evangelion, Elfen Lied, Hellsing Ultimate, Attack on Titan, Sword Art, Deadman Wonderland, Mushi-shi, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Darker Than Black, Black Lagoon
Specifics you're looking for: Dark, supernatural powers, fighting, serious
Desired length: I'm fine with short and long
Anything else?: the bloodier and darker the better (usually)

ZenPit said:
Recommended Anime series and movies to watch for you's guys :p

Darker Than Black
Black Lagoon
Elfen Lied
Chobits
Mushi-shi
FLCL
Fate Zero
Code Geass

I've already seen Black Lagoon and FLCL, both of which are really good. Black Lagoon to me is a much darker and grittier version of Cowboy Bebop but with alot more drama while taking place in modern times instead of the far distant future with a main female protagonist. FLCL was really short for it's time but artistically it was brilliant especially with it's satire.

I've seen Code Geass and thought it was alright just didn't care for it honestly for some reason. Elfen Lied was just kind of creepy probably in the same vein as School Days and Master of Martial Hearts, I've seen a few episodes of Fate Zero and thought it was okay, Chobits and Darker Than Black was kinda meh for me although I haven't really watched those series.

As for Anime I'm watching right now: Cardfight!! Vanguard (Japanese Sub), One Piece (Japanese Sub), Pokemon (English Dub), Space Dandy, and sometimes Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood out of boredom. I remember the days when I used to watch Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and InuYasha out of boredom on Adult Swim. I finished up watching Yu Yu Hakusho last year so I'm thinking about catching up with Ranma 1/2.

beebahboo said:
Previously-liked/Watched anime/movies: Akira, Death Note, Bleach, Evangelion, Elfen Lied, Hellsing Ultimate, Attack on Titan, Sword Art, Deadman Wonderland, Mushi-shi

I would recommend Psycho Pass and Ghost In The Shell for you
They're each rather serious, has some great tension at times, and can be rather dark. Not so much supernatural powers, but each of the animes have characters with rather unique abilities and the like

beebahboo said:
Previously-liked/Watched anime/movies: Akira, Death Note, Bleach, Evangelion, Elfen Lied, Hellsing Ultimate, Attack on Titan, Sword Art, Deadman Wonderland, Mushi-shi, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Darker Than Black, Black Lagoon
I think you'd enjoy Madoka Magica. It fits what you're looking for pretty well.

beebahboo said:

Baccano! fits what you're looking for pretty well. It's short and pretty dark, and though some parts have a comedic feel, it is mostly serious.

TokyoToots said:
beebahboo said:

Baccano! fits what you're looking for pretty well. It's short and pretty dark, and though some parts have a comedic feel, it is mostly serious.

After you finish Baccano!, Durarara! is a must.or even before. I'm a peer. not a cop.

Favourite genre(s): None specific
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: My favorite anime are Death Note and Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (R1-R2)
Specifics you're looking for: I'd like to have suggestions for anime that have mind over matter and brains over brawn; protagonists with the mind of a Yagami Light or Lelouch Lamperouge. Also, I like dark themes and plots, and any anime suggestion on that side will be much appreciated.
Desired length: Probably not very long, however don't hesitate to recommend long series as well.
Anime you've already seen: Apart from the aforementioned, I've seen/am seeing Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and a few episodes of DBZ.

Chaos Jackal said:
Favourite genre(s): None specific
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: My favorite anime are Death Note and Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (R1-R2)
Specifics you're looking for: I'd like to have suggestions for anime that have mind over matter and brains over brawn; protagonists with the mind of a Yagami Light or Lelouch Lamperouge. Also, I like dark themes and plots, and any anime suggestion on that side will be much appreciated.
Desired length: Probably not very long, however don't hesitate to recommend long series as well.
Anime you've already seen: Apart from the aforementioned, I've seen/am seeing Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and a few episodes of DBZ.
Might not fit your description perfectly, but try Psycho-Pass. There is an edited version with additional content running atm so you might want to try that version.

Favourite genre(s): Drama, Romance, SoL, Shoujo, Comedy

Previously-liked/Watched anime/movies: Clannad, Clannad After Story, Ef a Tale of Two, Nisekoi, Mirai Nikki

Specifics you're looking for: I don't mind if it's light hearted (Like Nisekoi) or bawl-your-eyes-out intense (like Clannad), but I would like something with romance themes, and light comedy tones.

Desired length: 24 - 48 episodes is ideal, but I'm open to anything that isn't hundreds of episodes long.

Anything else?: A newer anime would be nice. Mid 2000s and over is preferable, mainly because I'm a bit of a diva when it comes to picture quality :p

Favourite genre(s): Romance, Comedy,

Previously-liked/Watched anime/movies: Nodame Cantabile,Gekkan Shōjo Nozaki-kun, Slam dunk

Specifics you're looking for: Impressive story arc

Desired length: No

Anything else?:No

Back