Anime Recommendations

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
animebanner2.png

Welcome to the anime recommendations thread! The aim of this thread is to give and receive specific recommendations of anime shows and movies to people who are interested in anime, but aren't sure what they should watch next. Whether you're a seasoned anime fan or totally new to the concept of anime, let us know a bit about your tastes, and let our team of experts and other forum members give you some suggestions.

~Request Form~​
Please fill out this simple form with some information about your likes and dislikes. All fields are optional, but the more you tell us, the better your recommendations will be!

Favourite genre(s): You can list traditional genres - such as fantasy, comedy, horror, etc - or use our list of anime-specific genres and age classifications.
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: Let us know some specific shows that you enjoyed to give us a better idea of things you like, and a brief overview of why you liked them. If you haven't seen many or any anime (or even if you have), you can also use movies and TV shows as your examples.
Specifics you're looking for: If there are any particular details you have in mind, or that you really enjoy - such as giant robots, or pirates, or anime girls - feel free to let us know.
Desired length: A typical anime series is 26 episodes, but some are short and some are much longer, and don't forget movies, too! If you really want (or don't want) to watch a long-running show, or have a specific length you're willing to invest in, let us know.
Anime you've already seen: Obviously, there's a chance we may recommend something you're already watched. To help avoid that, you have the option of telling us what shows and movies you already know.
Anything else?:

RE: Anime Recommendations Thread

Favourite genre(s):
I love anime shows that combine Fantasy with Action and Adventure. If the show has some Comedy it can also make it more fun to watch, but it will have to fit in with the characters and the plot.

Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies:
Fairy Tail, has grown to be one of my favorite anime shows. The genres include Fantasy, Adventure, Mystery, Action, and Humor. The plot includes following the main characters while they do missions, challenges and overcome adversaries. Rather than having just a few main characters, Fairy Tail is about a whole guild. While it does mainly focus on one team, I felt like I really got to know all the characters form the guild and other characters as well. The feelings from the characters have always touched me.

Inuyasha, is another one of my favorite anime shows. The genres include Action, Adventure, Mystery, and Romance. The plot includes Inuyasha, who is a half demon, and his friends looking for the shards of a broken jewel, that has the power to make demons stronger. Although the show doesn’t have many main characters, I felt like I really got to know the ones that were in the show. I felt a lot of empathy for Inuyasha, and enjoyed watching the show up until the end.

Generator Rex, is also one of my favorite shows, although it is officially a cartoon, and not an anime. The genres include Action, Adventure, Humor, Mystery, Fantasy, and Romance. The plot follows the adventures of the main character, a teenager called Rex, while protecting the world from people who have turned into monsters by a virus. I really felt connected with the main character and loved watching the show.

Avatar, which is also officially not an anime, is one of my favorite cartoons as well. The genres include Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Humor, and Romance. The first 3 seasons follow the story of Aang, who is the Avatar, and responsible for keeping balance in the world. The new seasons follow Korra, his reincarnation. The plots include following the Avatars while they try to keep the world in balance.

Other (anime) shows I like include Kiba, Death Note, Galactik Football, Vampire Knight, Shaman King, Huntik, Megaman, Medabots, Digimon, D. Gray-man, Demon King Daimao, Gundam Wing, 07-Ghost, American Dragon, Ben 10, Dragonball Z, X-men, Spiderman, Team Galaxy, Batman, and Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Specifics you're looking for:
If you know any other anime or cartoons with a nice plot and characters, please let me know! It can be similar to the ones I have watched, but I’m also open for new things.

Desired length:
If I start liking a show, I hate it when it ends. So the longer the better!

Anime you've already seen:
Next to the ones I stated in the previous sections, I have watched (parts of) One Piece and Naruto (not seen enough of them to have an opinion, but I’m planning to watch them soon.

Anything else?:
Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the anime I have seen! :D

^I recently started watching a show called Wakfu and I think you'd enjoy it a lot, Drohn. It's very similar to The Last Airbender in many ways. For starters, it's not actually anime (made in France and animated in Flash) but is inspired by anime. The main character is a 12 year old boy, the last of his race, generally energetic and all in the personality department, the chosen one of sorts, and has unique fighting powers that nobody else has. There's also a dumb but good-hearted comic relief male a few years older than the protagonist. The show spends plenty of time traveling around their world on an adventure relevant to the plot and does get pretty serious at times. There are plenty of fight scenes that look great in what's probably the only well-done usage of Flash animation in existence, but it's less of the focus of the show unlike in The Last Airbender or your generic battle shounen with 500 episodes of filler. Also it has probably the coolest villain in existence.

lel Lain in the OP banner

Also, while I'm here, could somebody give me a convenient image or website for how to get into Gundam? There are like 20 series and I don't know which ones to watch or in what order. Or you know, just your own recommendations, but I'd prefer something more impartial because some series are pretty polarizing to my knowledge. I'd also like something similar guides or whatever for other big franchises like Macross and Mazinger.

Thanks for the tip Cinesra! I've looked up the show and it definitely seems like something I would enjoy watching! I will get right to it this weekend.

As for Gundam, I have only watched Gundam Wing. It has its own story, and watching the previous Gundam series was not required to understand what it is about. When Gundam Wing started it was explained what the world is like in that time and there are some flashbacks explaining what happened in the past (previous series). Besides shedding some light on why the world is how it is, it did not affect the story itself. I think you can watch them in any order, but if you're planning to watch all of the series, it might be nice to start at the one that is most back in time.

Note that I have only watched one of the series and that the other Gundam series might be more closely related to one another.

Drohn: Magical Girl Madoka Magica, Michiko e Hatchin, Steins;Gate, Psycho-Pass, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

& One Piece before Naruto

The main problem I have is knowing which series are good and which I should skip. For example, I know there's one that's pretty hated because the main character gets overshadowed by some mary sue self-insert secondary character, I just don't know which one (I want to say Seed). I'm sure with like 40 series some of them are either bad or just not good enough to be worth the watch.

Also lol none of those fit what he was asking for, Teal. Madoka Magica's dark and depressing and like the exact opposite of what he was looking for. It's still a good show that he should probably watch, though. I haven't seen the others (but I am planning on watching Steins;Gate because I've heard it's great), but I know enough about them (except Michiko e Hatchin which I've never heard of) to say they don't fit, especially Psycho Pass.

Teal said:
Steins;Gate

What were your thoughts on Steins;Gate? I'm actually planning on starting on that hopefully tonight and wanted to know what you thought of it.

If I recommend it, it's probably pretty awsome. ;) It has a slow start, but that doesn't make it less enjoyable or anything.
If you haven't watched much anime you might be bothered by one or two characters but overall the characters are really nice too (especially Okabe and Daru).

Favourite genre(s): Really anything.
Previously-liked anime: Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure, Naruto, Pokemon, Steins; Gate, Death Note, Robotech
Specifics you're looking for: Really anything.
Desired length: Long, LONG LONG LONG!! My favourite one, Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure lasted only one season..
Anime you've already seen: Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure, Naruto, Pokemon, Steins; Gate, Death Note, Robotech
Anything else?: Nope

gamefreak33797 said:
Favourite genre(s): Really anything.
Previously-liked anime: Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure, Naruto, Pokemon, Steins; Gate, Death Note, Robotech
Specifics you're looking for: Really anything.
Desired length: Long, LONG LONG LONG!! My favourite one, Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure lasted only one season..
Anime you've already seen: Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure, Naruto, Pokemon, Steins; Gate, Death Note, Robotech
Anything else?: Nope
If you're into long-running shows then this is probably useful. I've seen the first Sgt Frog episode and thought it was funny. I can't say anything much the rest of the list because nothing I've seen passes like 60 episodes, but I've heard Detective Conan/Case Closed's good. Most of these shows have massive amounts of filler episodes, though, so beware of that.

gamefreak33797: One Piece & Psycho-Pass (PP is getting a second season and the first season is 22 episodes)

Teal said:
gamefreak33797: One Piece

I'm usually more into the type of anime where the heroes have special powers. I'm considering One Piece since it has been recommended to me several times. Have you watched it? If so, can you tell me more about it regarding the characters and the style (is it very serious, emotional, humorous, etc.)? I'm also curious about Steins;Gate.

Drohn said:
Teal said:
gamefreak33797: One Piece

I'm usually more into the type of anime where the heroes have special powers. I'm considering One Piece since it has been recommended to me several times. Have you watched it? If so, can you tell me more about it regarding the characters and the style (is it very serious, emotional, humorous, etc.)? I'm also curious about Steins;Gate.
... One Piece has special powers. ;P Of course I have watched/read what I recommend (personally I read OP)... One Piece is always humorous, emotional at times.

I recommend not googling One Piece images etc. because you will easily get spoiled about crew members.

One Piece is the inspiration of Fairy Tail (FT has copied OP a LOT), so you will love it.

Drohn: ... This may seem like a complete shocker coming from me (I mean, who would have guessed?), but have you tried any of the Fullmetal Alchemist series? I mean, if you want realistic characters and stuff, I would definitely check out at least one of the series. Chances are, though, if you watch one series, you'll want to watch the other. I mean, why wouldn't you? They have pretty much entirely different stories, and who can't get enough FMA!?

But all fan-ravings aside, you should really check it out. It's really good.

Oh yeah. Check out Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

I have not gotten to that series yet actually! I will definitely try that out. I looked up some information about it online and it seems like something I would like. Thanks for the tip!

I have recently started watching "Hataraku Maou-sama". The anime starts off in the middle of a big battle, but gets a major plot change. It is actually really funny to watch. It has only 12 episodes and it has Action, Humor, and some Romance too.

I am also currently watching Steins;Gate. It's different from the anime I am used to watching, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It has a lot of Mystery. Thank you for recommending it!

Maou is ok, definitely not the best anime but you will probably not feel bored while watching.

Favourite genre(s): I like some comedy, but more like the humor from Avatar, Dragonball, and One Piece. Otherwise I'm not a huge fan. I love action. Cool fight scenes is the primary reason I watch anime.

Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies:
The Dragonball Series: I watched all of Dragonball Z, all of GT, and some of the original series. I liked it as a kid because the names were much easier to remember and the action scenes were really cool. I'm also currently going back and watching the original series.
Shaman King: I watched nearly all of Shaman King, and most of the stuff I didn't watch, I read. I loved the art style and the concept behind the show. It is the primary inspiration for my style of drawing.
One Piece: I would definitely go back and rewatch this. I stopped watching when the crew was in a desert city or something (not sure how far that was, seemed pretty far for an 8 year old). I loved the art style and the fighting scenes, and Sanji was my favorite character. The humor was really good and not too over the top, and I really enjoyed it.
Naruto: Watched all of the first series and the first hundred episodes of the Shipuuden series. I also read most of the series. The fight scenes were really cool, the humor was perfect, and I really loved the plot and characters.
Avatar: Absolutely the perfect balance of fight scenes and humor, good plot, and an astounding sequel series. Anything like it at all would be amazing.

Specifics you're looking for: Right now I am watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, so my giant robot fights are covered. I want fast paced fighting with cool camera angles. I haven't seen too many science fiction anime, so that would be pretty cool.

Desired length: Around 50 episodes is what I really like.

Anime you've already seen: Alot of Yuyu Hakusho, all the stuff mentioned above, some of Bleach, Bobobo Bobobobobobobobo (or whatever), Yugioh, Pokemon.

Anything else?: Excessive nudity is frowned upon depending on the medium with which I'm watching, though I do watch Game of Thrones, so I don't mind. I also will always go for something if it has a cool art style.

Watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Back