Anime Recommendations

Favourite genre(s): shonen, shoujo, seinen, josei, kodomo, slice of life, mystery, comedy, sport, action, dark humor.
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: poyo, one-outs, fruit basket, liar game, detective conan, ao no exorcist, etc.
Specifics you're looking for: short-length, dark humor or anything hilarious, something formulaic, classic
Desired length: max 20 minutes
Anime you've already seen: poyo, one-outs, fruit basket, liar game, detective conan, ao no exorcist, yotsuba&, flame of recca, rave master, dragon ball, sailor moon, etc. I don't mind re-watch old anime, but I prefer watch something new.
Anything else?: I don't like moe-centered anime with lack of sense and full of ero-humor

Favourite genre(s): Comedy, Action/Adventure and fantasy
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies:
Pokémon:
It was my first anime and I simply enjoy it very much. (Particularly the Kanto through Hoenn sagas)
Hetalia:
Even though I know it's not history, I still find it quite amusing and I like the idea of having personifications of countries in the world.
Hamtaro:
I remember this from when I was in 3rd grade! It's just something about the "Ham-Hams" having adventures that attracts me!
Lucky Star:
At first I thought it would be very "Girly" but boy was I wrong! I just love the part with the boy and the girl whose names escape me at the end of the show!
Slayers:
I've just started to watch this on YouTube, because I found out that some of the original VA's for the English dub of Pokémon also voiced characters in the dub of this particular anime. (Veronica Taylor, the original voice of Ash Ketchum,Eric Stuart the original voices of Brock and James, Rachel Lillis; the original voices of Misty and Jessie all voice some characters on this anime as well)
Specifics you're looking for: Creatures with special powers, a bit of fantasy, humans with special powers, maybe some magical girl as well.
Desired length: Long running. (Although anything 26 episodes or more will do as well)
Anime you've already seen:
Pokémon
Hetalia
Lucky Star
Slayers.
Anything else?: Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Pikafan: You'll love Madoka Magica. Also don't be afraid of short anime series. Most series are short and the compact size is not a bad thing.

I want to recommend an anime, titled NOBUNAGUN.

Mecha meet science-fic meet historical stories.

Favourite genre(s): Romance, Horror, Magical Girl, both Shonen and Shoujo, Comedy, and the occasional Seinen and Josei

Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: Madoka Magica, Panty and Stocking, Shugo Chara, Sailor Moon, Free! Iwatobi Swim Club, Attack On Titan [The anime I am the absolute most into at the moment], Sakura Trick, Deadman Wonderland, Ouran Highschool Host Club, and Highschool of the Dead

Specifics you're looking for: I have been on a very big Magical Girl kick and would love anything like that. On the VERY opposite side of the spectrum, I also very much want a horror or more 'intense' anime-- Something along the lines of Attack On Titan

Desired length: Length does not exactly matter to me; I have watched series that are only 12 episodes and others that are 100+

Anime you've already seen: Same as the Previously Liked ones. I tend not to branch out all that much and I am trying to more

Anything else?: Please look at this link here because it lists things I have at least looked at, shown interest in already, watched completely, and other things along that nature; http://myanimelist.net/animelist/gardenGnostic7
As well, I am trying to find somewhere where I can watch Higurashi and the Corpse Party OVAs
Subs are preferred! I do not have access to cable or television so that is not an option; internet only- Has premium access to Crunchyroll

lovandra: May I recommend to you Squid Girl? I seems to be something along the lines of what you may like!

It is basically about this girl-squid that comes ashore in an attempt to take over the world because people have been polluting the ocean, but is very naive about the 'surface world' and ends up working at a beach-side restaurant that is run by two sisters. In fact, this would honestly explain it a little better than myself I think: http://myanimelist.net/anime/8557/Shinryaku!_Ika_Musume

If you liked Sailor Moon, keep your eyes open for the Sailor Moon reboot called Sailor Moon Crystal coming this July! :D I'm super excited. I keep meaning to get around making a thread to talk about it, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

As far as horror goes, my personal favourite horror anime is Jigoku Shoujo, or "Hell Girl" as I think it's called in English. Very creep with some good atmosphere; even though the overall plot isn't very strong, each individual episode was fun to watch on its own.

Athena said:
If you liked Sailor Moon, keep your eyes open for the Sailor Moon reboot called Sailor Moon Crystal coming this July! :D I'm super excited. I keep meaning to get around making a thread to talk about it, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

As far as horror goes, my personal favourite horror anime is Jigoku Shoujo, or "Hell Girl" as I think it's called in English. Very creep with some good atmosphere; even though the overall plot isn't very strong, each individual episode was fun to watch on its own.

Oh! I did not know that they were rebooting it! That sounds awesome; I'll definitely be checking that out once July comes around ^^

As well, I'll definitely take a look at Hell Girl. I did a quick look at it and it sounds super interesting

I'll check it out. Squid girl... weird title but sometimes awesome work given weird title.

Like horror? Try Ghost Hunt. Old anime, I guess. But maybe not your type, since I think your prefer occult-zombie type than Japanese old-vlassic 'slow but scary' horror. But Ghost Hunt more in the middle, so you maybe like it.

Idk about sailor moon remake too. They keep remake old anime. Hunter x hunter then this. *btw, maybe not coinsidence since sailor moon mangaka married hxh mangaka*

lovandra said:
I'll check it out. Squid girl... weird title but sometimes awesome work given weird title.

Like horror? Try Ghost Hunt. Old anime, I guess. But maybe not your type, since I think your prefer occult-zombie type than Japanese old-vlassic 'slow but scary' horror. But Ghost Hunt more in the middle, so you maybe like it.

Idk about sailor moon remake too. They keep remake old anime. Hunter x hunter then this. *btw, maybe not coinsidence since sailor moon mangaka married hxh mangaka*

I've heard of Ghost Hunt but never have had a chance to go take a look at it. I'll probably do that later tonight ^^
With horror though, I tend to like a mix. And it doesnt even exactly have to be horror; I just rather like the very intense things. Such as Ghost in the Shell, Attack On Titan, Psycho-Pass, and the like just to name a handful

You should probably check out Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death Note, and Code Geass. The latter two are both pretty intense and fun to watch, and while NGE is a lot different from Death Note and Code Geass, it definitely has some horror aspects. It has a pretty dark/depressing/ominous/foreboding atmosphere and is pretty serious business with the stakes about as high as they can possibly be and gets pretty mindfuck at times.

The "correct" way to watch it would be the original 26 episode series, then the movie End of Evangelion for a more coherent ending, then the Rebuild films which is basically a remake of the original series but with eye-candy instead of the actual substance that made the original great. NGE isn't everyone's cup of tea, so I think it's best not to watch without any expectations for how good/bad people have made it out to be.

Athena said:

Yeah I remember when I I used to watch Sailor Moon on CN's Toonami block, unlike DBZ it was a guilty pleasure of mine for some odd reason and ironically I also saw the Nostalgia Critic's review of the Anime as well so go check it out. If Sailor Moon Crystal ends up being exactly like Madoka Magica in terms of the plot and the protagonists being underage loli girls, then that would be enough to make me lose interest in it. I also couldn't get into Sword Art Online mainly because it's a clone of the .hack series.

As for recent Anime I wouldn't bother with Space Dandy since it's just Lupin the Third trying to impersonate Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop although it amazes me how it got greenlit for Adult Swim's Toonami block same with Naruto Shippuden. I was disappointed when Deadman Wonderland got cancelled on Toonami because it was too graphic, same with Neon Genesis Evangelion. One Anime I do recommend is Hayao Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises" which is his final feature length film before he officially retired.

If you want a Manga series with female characters that never resorts to blatant fanservice to garner attention then Teppuu is for you. Much like Slam Dunk, The Prince of Tennis, and Hajime no Ippo, Teppuu is a sports manga about a high school girl training to become a professional MMA fighter. I went into a few chapters of the series already and it's pretty good, although I haven't gotten around to catching up with the latest chapter since I was busy at the time but I'm really surprised that this didn't get it's own Anime adaptation.

Card Slinger J said:
If Sailor Moon Crystal ends up being exactly like Madoka Magica in terms of the plot and the protagonists being underage loli girls, then that would be enough to make me lose interest in it.

I'm not familiar with Madoka Magica, but reading over the Wiki article... it doesn't seem anything like Sailor Moon at all except that it involves a magical girl and a cat. The plots are nothing alike, and Sailormoon has never been "loli"; if anything, the girls are depicted as very womanly, and usually elegant and modest (lots of long gowns and kimono), especially in the manga. So, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I am certainly with Athena on this on the plots are nothing alike between Madoka Magica and Sailor Moon though. While yes, they are both of the Magical Girl genre, they both honestly deal with different issues.

Whereas Madoka Magica, they make these contracts with this being, or a cat as she had described him as, to become magical girls by making a wish. And this not only gives them a different ability depending on the wish, but they also now risk their lives to fight these things called Witches.

I'm having so much fun with Space Dandy. It's sort of a satire of anime as a genre, it's cliche, and honestly, it is Lupin the Third trying to be Spike Spiegel (Space Dandy takes place in the same universe as Cowboy Bepop does, by the way.) because it's supposed to be that way. It's made to be silly and stupid and cliche because it's making fun of anime while being a tribute to old 90s anime...while being itself an anime. Which is why I love it so much. It takes me back to when I was like eight years old and had just discovered InuYasha, Tokyo MewMew and Trigun and started watching anime. (I was probably way too young for that stuff at the time, but whatever.) That's really all there is to it. Space Dandy is just there to sit back and be nostalgic and enjoy without worrying about anything. It isn't meant to be profoundly amazing or groundbreaking.
Not to mention the designs.
No to mention the animation. Oh damn, the animation is so fluid sometimes I could swear I'm watching something animated by Ghibli.

So I say: bother with Space Dandy.
Bother hard.

Also, I wasn't expecting much from Miyazaki's last film after From Up On Poppy Hill (even though Anton Yelchin voices a character in that movie. You know, Chekov from the 2009 Star Trek movie?) but is it that good?

(That was ten times more passionate-sounding of a post than I expected it to be.)

What...? I wouldn't call Space Dandy cliche at all. (While it does pardoy some stuff.) It's experimental, and every episode is made by different staff (which resulted in a few weaker episodes too), every episode has totally different stories and takes on the crazy universe and even the art style varies slightly to a lot from episode to episode (even the character models vary). The animation is generally good with pretty crazy sakuga (... scenes with loads of key animation) but at times it just really fails with some characters being completely off-model.

Anyway 9/10 recommended.

I watched the first ~6 episodes of Space Dandy and was severely disappointed. I just didn't find it funny. However, episode 5 I think it was where Dandy and the alien girl bond was amazing. Probably because it wasn't a "humorous" episode. Does SD get funnier or are there more feelsy moments like the one I mentioned?

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Review
Mahouka is absolutely terrible. This is Mahouka in a nutshell:
- The main character has insane skills, uses legendary weapons and is trained by an aknowledged martial arts teacher. He was an ace magician in a World War III.
- However, he is bad at casting regular magic, so he was classified as class 2 student in a Magical Highschool that he is now attending.
- Of course, almost all class 1 students ("bloomers") are total jerks who look down on class 2 students ("weeds").
- People are constantly impressed by the MC's skills and praise him (because he just IS the best)
- Imouto loves MC
- MC being COOL
- MC owning everyone
~> Extreme chuunibyou terms and behaviour
- People being more impressed by MC
- Imouto sexually harassing MC

Indeed, the main character is an utter and complete Gary Stu, his only weakness is not a weakness as he covers it in fights with his excellent physical and chuunibyou (they tried to explain some secondary skill but it made no sense whatsoever) skills. The characters are in that way just terrible. But...
The show is so bad, that I can't help but legitly enjoy it... for its legit horribility. If you think you can enjoy a bad show because it's so bad, you should definitely check it out. Here are some screenshots I complied to make my point clear:
From episode 1: http://i.imgur.com/Yh5vcUX.jpg
From episode 2: http://i.imgur.com/qMEVfLg.jpg
From episode 3: http://i.imgur.com/0FQZBtX.jpg

Story: 2 | Art: 9 | Sound: 7 | Character: 2 | Enjoyment: 10
Overall: 6/10

Sounds like SAO....

But yeah, it's a LN adaptation, what did you expect? Although I will admit that those uniforms look pretty cool.

Recommended Anime series and movies to watch for you's guys :p

Darker Than Black
Black Lagoon
Elfen Lied
Chobits
Mushi-shi
FLCL
Fate Zero
Code Geass

OH
I forgot to mention Darker Than Black, which is totally silly since DTB is my favorite anime (no, it's not Hetalia. Shocking, I know) , which is a very very hard position to win.
I thought it was impossible to have a favorite anime, but Darker Than Black seriously takes the cake.

I also just started watching Jellyfish Princess. It's gives you the same "beautiful, hilarious , timeless character hilarity" feel that Yotsuba& does.
Jellyfish Princess is basically the story of a nerdy otaku girl who lives in a "no boys allowed" apartment complex with a group of other nerdy otaku girls.
Also, there's a cross-dressing boy that appears and ruins their "sisterhood."
It's fun. It's cute. It kind of hurts. I love it.

Back