Anime Recommendations

RE: Anime Recommendations Thread

Alright, I guess now is the time for me to make use of my own thread. I have a few TV shows I need to catch up on, and then I'll be looking for something else, so why not try to watch some anime? I've seen hardly anything in the past several years, so hopefully there's some good stuff that's worth watching.

Favourite genre(s): I can watch an enjoy shows of practically any genre/age-group, but I guess if I have a predilection towards sci-fi/weird stuff, and generally shows aimed at older audiences.

Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: I've liked shows from all over the board, but here's a sampling of some of my favourites: Gurren Lagann, Paradise Kiss, FLCL, GitS:SAC, Rose of Versailles, Haibane Renmei, Maison Ikkoku, and Haruhi (first season). I have seen way too many anime to list them all, however.

Specifics you're looking for: I generally like shows that have strong characters and characterizations. And also, for as much as I can appreciate anime as art (<3 Angel's Egg), at the moment I am looking for something that is definitely more substance-over-style than the other way around. I am also more or less looking for something "new"; the last two shows I've seen were Eden of the East (2009) and Gurren Lagann (2007), both of which were special instances that caught my eye even though I wasn't paying much attention to anime at the time. The last year I was really active in anime was 2006.

Things I dislike: While not actually a category from the OP, I don't really care for long-running Shounen shows (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc.), so steer clear from suggesting shows that fall under that category, or even shorter shows that are very similar to them in style and content. This isn't always true (I love Urusei Yatsura, and Pokémon is okay and also technically falls into this category I guess), but it's a good generalization.

Desired length: Nothing too long. I'm open to movie or TV show suggestions, and if you're going to go TV, I'd prefer 26 episodes, and would really rather not commit to anything 40-50+.

Artemis said:
Alright, I guess now is the time for me to make use of my own thread. I have a few TV shows I need to catch up on, and then I'll be looking for something else, so why not try to watch some anime? I've seen hardly anything in the past several years, so hopefully there's some good stuff that's worth watching.

Favourite genre(s): I can watch an enjoy shows of practically any genre/age-group, but I guess if I have a predilection towards sci-fi/weird stuff, and generally shows aimed at older audiences.

Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: I've liked shows from all over the board, but here's a sampling of some of my favourites: Gurren Lagann, Paradise Kiss, FLCL, GitS:SAC, Rose of Versailles, Haibane Renmei, Maison Ikkoku, and Haruhi (first season). I have seen way too many anime to list them all, however.

Specifics you're looking for: I generally like shows that have strong characters and characterizations. And also, for as much as I can appreciate anime as art (<3 Angel's Egg), at the moment I am looking for something that is definitely more substance-over-style than the other way around. I am also more or less looking for something "new"; the last two shows I've seen were Eden of the East (2009) and Gurren Lagann (2007), both of which were special instances that caught my eye even though I wasn't paying much attention to anime at the time. The last year I was really active in anime was 2006.

Things I dislike: While not actually a category from the OP, I don't really care for long-running Shounen shows (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc.), so steer clear from suggesting shows that fall under that category, or even shorter shows that are very similar to them in style and content. This isn't always true (I love Urusei Yatsura, and Pokémon is okay and also technically falls into this category I guess), but it's a good generalization.

Desired length: Nothing too long. I'm open to movie or TV show suggestions, and if you're going to go TV, I'd prefer 26 episodes, and would really rather not commit to anything 40-50+.

Okay, so here is what I'd recommend:

Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood or Original, either one): I've already said a bit too much about this in this thread. :p But anyway, they may be over your limit of episodes, the latter coming in at 64 episodes, but what you mentioned about the series being a work of art and Sci-Fi, this fits that bill nicely. They make you care about the characters, even if you don't know it, you actually respect them. That one of the things that makes me hold this show at high regard ever since I saw it earlier this year.

Ergo Proxy: Oh my gosh, I love this show. An intricate, intelligent plot with a healthy dose of violence and some swearing, this show fits the bill for being a science fiction masterpiece and a more adult-centric one to boot. I can't actually reveal that much about the plot, considering how intricate it actually is I would most likely spoil things for you, so I would simply watch the first episode and get this gist of the series from there. It was actually after the first three episodes where I was hooked like a fish that swallowed a treble-hook.

Steins;Gate: This series is awesome, even with its slow start. What do you get when you put a schizophrenic scientist, a tsundere scientist, a hacker and a cute, child-like girl all in one room and give them a cell phone and a microwave? I dunno but I don't want them to move in next to me In two words? Time Travel. Words simply do not do this series justice, and to this day it remains one of my favorite anime of all time. It was originally a Visual Novel, which is why the slow start, but when it gets cranked up, oh my gosh does it get cranked up. This series is short and worth not only the watch, but the rewatch and possibly another watch after that. It's that good. There's also a movie coming out later this year/early next year, so there's also that to look forward to.

Psycho-Pass: This thing is a seriously awesome show. With a plot you'll never see coming and a healthy dose of violence, this show not only makes you care about the characters, but the sci-fi is awesome, as well. A brief summary could be as such: "In a future where people's worthiness to live free or live at all are judged by their psychological state by an all-seeing computer system, a squad of detectives must solve seemingly unrelated crimes with a twist. But when they find out that all of them had a criminal mentor, the stability of the future could be at stake!" Little warning, though, it is pretty violent.

Chaos;Head: You know those things that don't make sense, but days later you suddenly exclaim: "OH I GET IT NOW"? This is one of those. It was also based off a VN, but this one makes not a lot of sense unless you pay attention. It's intelligent, intricate and... Well, I hope you packed a shovel because your head will explode out of sheer shock. It's only twelve episodes long, so it's definitely worth the watch.

Hope I helped!

... In hindsight that is actually all of the anime I watch, save Bleach... *shrugs*

Artemis said:

You might like Noein. It's definitely in the department of "weird stuff", and it's only 24 episodes.

Watch the sub, though.

Artemis said:
Also, just because something is popular, that doesn't mean it's good.

Oh and since I feel this was directed towards my bleach comment, I'll just say that I don't dislike the bleach anime (the manga is ok) because it's popular, I dislike it because it's so filler-ific and convoluted. The action and characters translate extremely poorly from the manga to the anime, at least recently.

Some Loser said:
Artemis said:
Also, just because something is popular, that doesn't mean it's good.

Oh and since I feel this was directed towards my bleach comment, I'll just say that I don't dislike the bleach anime (the manga is ok) because it's popular, I dislike it because it's so filler-ific and convoluted. The action and characters translate extremely poorly from the manga to the anime, at least recently.

Actually, it was mostly in response to this:

Drohn said:
Why is that? It's quite popular. I haven't watched it, but I always thought it was quite liked!

And even without context, I think it's a great rule to follow. I don't put any stock in anything based on it's hype/popularity, because it's a terrible way to judge something.

I'm not looking for an anime at the moment but I figured I'd put in a recommendation for Durarara!! in case anyone is interested. Loved it.

Also, I know quite a few people who love Attack on Titan and I don't think "This is a joke right?" was a very nice response.

Shingeki no Kyojin is pretty good, but damn if it isn't the most over-hyped anime I've ever seen. It is everywhere in Japan: cars, food, games, movies, and it even makes appearances in other manga and anime series. It's as Artemis said, don't base your opinion on an anime because of how popular it is.

Still, SnK manages to be one of the most unique series I've seen in a while. Everyone should give it a look.

Drohn said:
Fairy Tail, has grown to be one of my favorite anime shows. The genres include Fantasy, Adventure, Mystery, Action, and Humor. The plot includes following the main characters while they do missions, challenges and overcome adversaries. Rather than having just a few main characters, Fairy Tail is about a whole guild. While it does mainly focus on one team, I felt like I really got to know all the characters form the guild and other characters as well. The feelings from the characters have always touched me.

In that case, I would recommend Rave Master, personally I've never seen it, BUT I've read the manga and a couple of my friends, that have seen the anime and read the manga, tell me that the anime is a lot like the manga. It has a fantastic story, and the manga writers of Fairy Tail, and of Rave master are the same person.

Wow, I really never was into anime, but after seeing a episode of bleach (Was good episode) I think anime is my calling.

Favourite genre(s): Comedy, a bit of drama, action
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: .Spirited away (Saw when young, only remember parents into pigs),I sorta like bleach
Specifics you're looking for: None.
Desired length: Something short
Anime you've already seen: .1 episode of bleach. You may recommend this though.
Anything else?: Nope.

Salamencetrainer34 said:

Go watch the crap out of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, if you're prepared to cry a whole bunch.

EDIT: does 50 episodes count as something short? If not, Cowboy Bebop is pretty fantastic.

TokyoToots said:
Go watch the crap out of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, if you're prepared to cry a whole bunch.

EDIT: does 50 episodes count as something short? If not, Cowboy Bebop is pretty fantastic.

How does comedy and a bit of drama describe Code Geass in any way, shape, or form?

And SalamenceTrainer, there's much better anime than bleach out there. Just try some of the shows that were already mentioned in this thread.

Salamencetrainer34 said:
Wow, I really never was into anime, but after seeing a episode of bleach (Was good episode) I think anime is my calling.

Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies: .Spirited away (Saw when young, only remember parents into pigs),I sorta like bleach
Specifics you're looking for: None.
Desired length: Something short
Anime you've already seen: .1 episode of bleach. You may recommend this though.
Anything else?: Nope.
If you want something short, good god stay away from Bleach.

Super Pig. It's like Sailor Moon, 'cept the hero doesn't transform into *removed*,

I removed a detail from your post. Remember PokéBeach is PG-13! *[mod]Drohn[/mod]

This was probably recommended a lot in this threat,but SnK (Attack on Titan) definitely deserves a go,even though everyone talks about it.
Also, Deadman Wonderland.That anime has one of the most likable characters I've seen in a long time.

I completely agree with Attack on Titan being an outstanding anime. Another often overlooked one is Fate/Zero, which is far better than Fate/Stay Night.

Please avoid posting any anime you like in this thread, but rather post specific recommendations to those who request it.

To mention anime you like, use the Top 5 Anime thread. It does not require a complete list with 5 anime, but make sure to explain why you like the anime and share some general information!

Favorite genre:
Tend to go for action and fantasy genre. Every once in awhile I like slice of life but the characters have to be good.

As for official genre I go for these: shounen, seinen, I also like mecha but haven't found one I liked outside of gundam and code geass.

Previously liked anime, manga, tv shows, movies:
Natuto, bleach, code geass, death note, gundam wing and gundam seed, fma both regular and broterhood, fairy tail.

Specifics you are looking for:
Tend to like shows with humans or sub species of humans have powers. Can be like bleach or like the magic in fairy tail.

Desired length:
Any though I tend to like longer ones.

Anime you've already seen:

Same as my liked anime except add in hunter x hunter which I didn't like, not because of the story which was good but the main character dragged the whole show down for me.

Anything else:

That's about it. Nothing else comes to mind ATM.

Your taste in anime seems very similar to mine, Neal White. I like many of the anime you like, at least. :)

Have you considered watching Inuyasha? It's about a half human/demon that has to collect gem shards with his partners. They have to fight with many demons and other opponents during their adventure. I like the characters and story. At some points it got quite emotional. I almost cried a few times.

Neal White: One Piece, Psycho-Pass, Suisei no Gargantia, Baccano!, Durarara!!, Michiko & Hatchin.

Back