Anime Discussion Thread

PokemonSnap

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Anime Discussion Thread - Current topic: Your Favourite Anime? Why?

My favorite anime is Ranma 1/2. I liked the combination of martial arts, comedy and romance that it provided. I enjoyed the first season most of all because it had the most story development and I like look of anime from that time period. It caused me to become a fan of Rumiko Takahashi in general. I also like Maison Ikkoku, Inu Yasha and -- to a lesser extent -- Urusei Yatsura.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

Maison Ikkoku is <3! I still havery the entire manga set that I managed to bring with me to the Netherlands.

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
So I have decided to start Sword Art Online. I like the concept a lot, and I've heard good words from most regarding the show. Anyone here has an opinion to offer too?

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/sword-art-online/

I haven't seen it, but this more or less sums up the opinions of the show I've heard from more reliable sources.

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
So far, I unfortunately have to accept most of the reviewer's opinions. For me, the worst part is the main character; his unjustified whining perfection is ridiculous. The idea is still great, but the whole thing could have been so much better.

Blah

DBT
Just finished up SAO 2, which I thought was drastically worse than the first season.

SAO is sort of a hard show to review or look at objectively--because if you really want to analyze the characters, story, etc., there are a LOT of flaws. Despite all of the stupidity with the plot pacing and the shallow characters though, it's still fun to watch. I've had a lot of people ask whether they should watch the show or not, and I always recommend it but tell people to not have too high expectations or think too much about what's going on.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer

PokemonSnap said:
I also like Maison Ikkoku, Inu Yasha and -- to a lesser extent -- Urusei Yatsura.

Out of Rumiko Takahashi's works InuYasha was the less perceived, If you don't believe me look into Bennett the Sage's Anime Abandon review of InuYasha The Movie: Affections Touching Across Time.

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
So, after watching both SAO seasons... I have to say it's one of those anime which you can't stop finding flaws about and yet you kinda like them. It's definitely not among the best I've seen, but I watched it to the end despite having issues with nearly everything.
I also watched Shaman King, which I wanted to for a long time. Seemed pretty nice overall, but the manga, which I'm reading now, is probably much better. Next, I'll probably pick Steins;Gate, which I left at episode 3 a while back.

dollyholly

Aspiring Trainer

Chaos Jackal said:
Been watching Shingeki no Kyojin recently, and I have to admit I am slightly disappointed. The story is cool, and characters aren't bad, but the animation has really let me down, and the pacing of the show is just so slow. Also, the way the anime abruptly ends and with the next season being scheduled for 2016, I got a sudden urge to shoot something. All in all, I can see where all the hype for it was and is coming from, but I can in no way justify it.

I could see the hype if people only watched the first episode. Everything else really dragged because there's no hope anywhere to be found in that universe. All effort is rendered futile (and in that respect, is that plot device {aka the entire plot} intended to operate as a foil to current Japanese "office worker farm" economy being hopeless as well?). JFC the only character I actually found interesting was Dot Pixis! I really have little patience for the mainstream anime Americans tend to like.

My kingdom for a fan of Hozuki no Reitetsu or Natsume Yuujinchou.

Teal

黄前さん らしい ね
Current Season overview:

Punch Line is fun and weird and everyone should watch it.

Hibike! Euphonium is very pretty (duh, it's by KyoAni) and worth watching if you like dramas. Hibike has anime as its medium but it could just as well be a filmed drama. (It's not otaku stuff.)

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches is great too, I have even read all current chapters of the manga. It's a pretty story driven comedy.

Souma (aka Food Wars) is a good cooking shounen manga adaption but as the manga has only begun a few years ago and it looks like it's gonna be runnig for years to come the anime will surely have no satisfying conclusion. If you are ok with that, it's worth watching at least.

If you watched the first season of Oregairu (Yahari ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru) (I marathoned it last Saturday...), the second season is more story driven so far and I'm really enjoying it. If you have watched Haganai (umm... Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai) and you liked it, you should watch Oregairu too.

Nisekoi Season two is quality wise absolutely terrible. If you want to watch it you should definitely wait for the Blu-Ray releases. (I don't want to wait though...)

Last edited:

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
My thoughts on what I've watched this season in rough order of highest to lowest quality:

Oregairu season 2: I've thought of this show as the more serious counterpart to Haganai. Haganai is a comedy about wacky people who don't have friends for whatever reason in a club together, while Oregairu is a drama/comedy about a guy who's pretty much never had friends being forced into a club in an attempt to cure his bitter and cynical world view, but his way of doing things tends to bite him in the ass.

Kekkai Sensen/Blood Blockade Battlefront: has a nice setting and atmosphere with a lot of fun hi-jinks and a colorful cast of characters. Really the only problem I have is that the chaotic nature of the show can make it hard to keep up with what's going on for some.

Ore Monogatari: a shoujo where the main character who somewhat resembles a gorilla and actually develops the relationship within the first few episodes instead of dragging out them getting together or involving stupid love triangle misunderstanding melodrama like most shoujo do from what I've heard. The main character is really fun to watch and the romance is cute even if the girl's voice is kinda grating.

Arslan Senki: it's still in the prologue stages right now and is thus a little slow, but the source material is a manga adaptation by the creator of FMA of a novel series by the guy who wrote Legend of the Galactic Heroes (one of, if not the most highly critically regarded anime out there) so even if the studio messes things up a bit, it should still turn out pretty good.

Hibike Euphonium: Generally Kyoto Animation productions come to mind as just moe, this one actually has some character drama and seems to be actually going somewhere. Plus the visuals are really great.

Plastic Memories: basically moe blade runner, but not nearly as fun as it sounds. Young adults working at a company that retrieves androids from their families before their limit runs out with one of the main characters being an android whose time limit is coming soon who has to deal with knowing the exact end of her lifespan sounds good, but it's been pretty disappointing. When they retired a little girl android they actually got me to care when things like Ano Hana and Clannad have failed to do so, so I thought it had some serious potential, despite the weird tonal whiplash with the comedic moments. However the next two eps were mostly lame romcom hijinks, the ep after that was a step back in the right direction, but when the latest episode tried to be darker and more serious it had some major plot-holes that have basically ruined my ability to take this show seriously. How did an elementary schooler on foot manage to follow our main characters who were driving into an area restricted by mercenaries? Why are these androids allowed the capability of super strength when they go crazy and attack people if they aren't retrieved before their time runs out? PM might recover, but I doubt it so far.

Shokugeki no Souma: basically a shounen about cooking that causes silly food orgasms drawn by a former "adult" artist. It has some somewhat entertaining side characters and is decent overall, but there's nothing good about it to make it more than just decent. I'd like it more if the silly food orgasms were more common and more ridiculous.

Punchline: Shitty so far, but I fully expect it to become a glorious trainwreck later on. It's a dumb ecchi comedy so far, but the script writer is the guy who did Virtue's Last Reward, 999, Ever17, etc, and there's a character actually dying next episode. The show has a lot of elements like the mc being a spirit separate from his body which is inhabited by a mystery stranger who will cause an asteroid to destroy the earth if he sees panties twice in quick succession and the ability to turn back time to avoid this, one of the girls in his apartment complex being an orange juice themed superhero, an evil organization who wants to destroy the world, some random dude trying to be a super sentai, a baby bear that is somehow important, and an android. Should definitely be entertaining to see where this goes.

Ninja Slayer: Basically it's a less funny Inferno Cop .

Mikagura School Suite: dumb comedy where a perverted lesbian goes to a school where clubs determine superpowers which are used to fight other clubs to get higher ranked and thus better accommodations. Might be entertaining to some, but it's not very good and you're not missing anything so far.

Yamada and the Seven witches: the first episode was an okay romcom about a delinquent who ends up with the ability to switch bodies with whomever he kisses and the potential love interest is voiced by Hayami Saori. However it's a harem and six other girls are going to be introduced so nope.jpg

Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon/DanMachi: This show is just so painfully mediocre. It features a fantasy setting with a MMO-style leveling system and boring super special Gary Stu self-insert main character with little personality besides being nice who somehow attracts many girls, including a short and childish-acting goddess with big boobs being held up by a ribbon. He also has a broken power that lets him get much stronger much faster when he has some goal he really wants, which in this instance is to get stronger to get some other girl to like him. It isn't like offensively bad, but it's really incompetent and is the type of thing that people only like because 15 year old boys like escapist power fantasies about being super amazing.

Gunsling Stratos: It's just poorly written all around and isn't even fun to watch.

Owari no Seraph/Seraph of the End: It's basically Attack On Titan x Blue Exorcist, but worse than both of those and with vampires. It's inept at like everything. The main character is a brash idiot who has an edgy past who gets chastised for being so revenge-driven, but basically gets rewarded for his reckless behavior despite the chewing out. The first episode has a virus wipe out everybody over the age of 13 and then vampires take over the world. The MC escapes being used as livestock a few years later at the cost of his foster siblings being killed in an edgy and silly way. As soon as he gets out he's found by people over the age of 13, including a Colonel in the resistance army who looks like he's in his mid 20's because "the prophecy" said he'd be there. Naturally they ignore this prophecy from then on. The next episode then skips ahead another few years and they're making him attend fudging high school to make friends before getting him to attend the special vampire killing class program. The only redeeming aspect is this one girl who is a cheeky smartass voiced by Saori Hayami and is too good to be in a show this garbage.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki: Did you like Haruhi? How about instead of adapting more of it, we give you a spinoff in a universe like that of the movie, but with an uglier art style, Kyon has none of his personality, Yuki is a stupid moeblob, and Haruhi doesn't even show up for a few episode from what I've been told. Even then it's probably not much and is more about the Kyon x Yuki romcom. It's as boring as it sounds.

Denpa Kyoushi: It's GTO with an otaku instead of a delinquent, but not funny at all and is pretty ugly to look at.

Triage X: It's incredibly edgy and stupid. Maybe you can wait for the uncensored version to come out if you only care about seeing boobs.

Last edited:

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Did anyone here watch Parasyte? I really want to pick that up (I loved the manga back in the 90s) along with the second season of Tokyo Ghoul when I have a chance. I wasn't really impressed with much of the other shows released recently, but I don't have a lot of spare time for anime, so my standards are pretty high.

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
I don't hear very good things about Tokyo Ghoul in general, but even the fans dislike the second season which is anime original. IIRC fans of the Parasyte manga are happy with the anime, so you should be good.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Aww, shame to hear that about Tokyo Ghoul. I mostly just picked up the first season because it intrigued me and I'm a sucker for Japanese horror. I was expecting a mediocre gore fest, but ended up being pleasantly surprised and liked it a good amount. I might still pick up the second season to pass judgment myself... but that seems pretty unlikely when I can instead devote that time to something more amusing. Lame.

Good to hear that Parasyte was pretty decent though.

Teal

黄前さん らしい ね
I have to make this clear: Yamada-kun is not a harem. Obviously it's a romcom but yeah.

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
First season of Tokyo Ghoul was surprisingly good, but the second season... just no. There's no real reason to watch it; it is its own story, but it's not good. Everything is mediocre at best. Not suggested.

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!
My friend who normally likes crap recommended Fate/Zero to me, and I am actually really liking it. The concept is one of the coolest I have seen in a while.

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
Fate/Zero is probably among the coolest anime I've seen. Nice concept, good plot, well-designed characters... it's more than worth watching.

Giacomo

Aspiring Trainer
My favorite anime is probably Pokemon. I've watched it for ages, and I still love it!

Meaty

You can't deny that Psyduck is beast. I guess.
Anyone else here a fan of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? I haven't read the manga at all (and that stuff is decades old) and I never touched the 90's anime of part 3 either, but I was pretty hooked when I came upon the 2012 anime adaptation, which is nearing the end of the third part originally done in the 90's. Meanwhile the manga is on part 8, and the parts keep getting longer. JoJo is... well it's just about the most absurd thing ever, but man is it entertaining. I'm fully caught up with the anime, I watch it weekly and it's probably my current favorite anime. It's not everyone's cup of tea since it's so, well, Bizarre (hueh) and it can be seen as a typical macho-man-fighting anime of sorts and I understand that. Between the non-stop classic rock references in character names and ending songs and the action and comedy, though, it appeals to me pretty well, and the fanbase has kept strong for what's probably thirty years now. It's always been huge in Japan but this anime revival has really caught everyone else's attention, and I'm no exception.