Anime Discussion Thread

My high school experience was incredibly crappy. At the same time, I'm still nostalgic for parts of it. But also at the same time, I still don't care much for high-school-centric anime/media, so there you go. :p
Highschool anime to have people "long for the days of highschool" have obviously NOT heard of the US public "education" system. LOL

Ok back to Anime, am I the only one that could not get past 2 episodes of GantZ because of how gorey it was, how much I wanted to kick the MC with a chair, and the amount of unneeded cursing? Look, I'm fine with cursing and stuff, but this had to be written badly on purpose because they basically went to the script meeting and went "hey, how many words can we replace with curse words" "52 exactly" "Good, now double it *lots of cursing* now!" And that's how the first 2 episodes seemed to me.

My high school experience was incredibly crappy. At the same time, I'm still nostalgic for parts of it. But also at the same time, I still don't care much for high-school-centric anime/media, so there you go. :p

So... imagine all those people with less crappy high school that are even more nostalgic than you are and you can understand why even if you don't care for it, there is a market for series based on high school and/or high school spin-offs of existing series.

Just like the "[insert franchise] babies" trick, though that is more likely to be about simplifying/softening something up for a younger demographic.

Ok back to Anime, am I the only one that could not get past 2 episodes of GantZ because of how gorey it was, how much I wanted to kick the MC with a chair, and the amount of unneeded cursing? Look, I'm fine with cursing and stuff, but this had to be written badly on purpose because they basically went to the script meeting and went "hey, how many words can we replace with curse words" "52 exactly" "Good, now double it *lots of cursing* now!" And that's how the first 2 episodes seemed to me.

Haven't seen that show but yeah, that is usually one of the issues I have... and also one of the advantages of watching the subtitled version; if the words don't register as profanity to my ears, then its a lot like reading about violence versus watching it - even when it has an effect it is lessened.

Then again, I am rather odd so your mileage may vary.

I can see this. I watched Gantz when it was first airing back in '04-'05, and I enjoyed it for what it was at the time. Haven't hunted down the live action adaptation(s) yet, but I can see why the show might not have aged well over time.

Wrapping up season 2 of Log Horizon right now, since I'm in a lull between television seasons. Haven't enjoyed it as much as S1. Splitting the cast up between multiple distinct story arcs was a weird shift, and when did each character suddenly become super introverted and unable to communicate with other people? One other observation; is there some unwritten rule that the OP for Log Horizon has to spoil the entire season?

One other observation; is there some unwritten rule that the OP for Log Horizon has to spoil the entire season?

I thought that was a rule for animé in general: they are really bad about including spoilers in the openings.

Anyway I found Log Horizon S2 to be a lesser experience than the first season, but overall still good. My understanding is that there wasn't a much material covered but the cast members that had trouble communicating about certain things in Season 1 still were working on it in Season 2, so I don't know if you mean things I apparently overlooked or that I believe are justified by the story ( or at least present in Season 1). I agree the story telling approach (basically you get something happening "now" in the first episode and then you rewind back to see the events leading up to it for a good chunk of the season) is less conventional (though obviously not original). Overall I think the story is a little weaker, but what really took a hit were the visuals.

Which for me just means that Season 1 is a must watch unless you have hang-ups particular to the setting or style of animé while Season 2 is a "probably should watch".

I was planning to watch Ghost in the Shell, but I don't know where to start. Should I go with the 1995 movie or the 2002 series?

The Stand Alone Complex stuff definitely better than the original movie. I'd suggest watching the GitS:SAC series, movie, and OVA in order, then watching the 1995 movie later as more of a fun thing after you know the characters/world.

The manga is also super good.

Can someone reccomend me an anime that allows main characters to die but isn't THAT gory?
I don't know why but suddenly after watching half of d-grayman and it's mc plot armor of invincibility I really need to see something where the mc's actions actually have concequences asides from a super minor character "conviently dieing"

I finally watched One Punch Man a week or two ago. If you have not seen it, I strongly encourage you do. It is glorious. XD

I've been watching the seven deadly sins lately and damn, it's SEXIST. The main character's name does not need to be remembered, as she's just "the girl that screams 'MELODIAAAAS' every time he so much as gets punched despite him being a near god."

Anyone else seeing this? Note I have not finished the series yet.

I've been watching the seven deadly sins lately and damn, it's SEXIST. The main character's name does not need to be remembered, as she's just "the girl that screams 'MELODIAAAAS' every time he so much as gets punched despite him being a near god."

Anyone else seeing this? Note I have not finished the series yet.

I am currently caught up with The Seven Deadly Sins manga via Crunchyroll and have watched all of the dub for the animé on Netflix. I originally was double watching episodes (once dubbed, once subbed) but I got impatient and just went ahead and finished with the dub, so it is easy to focus on other things since - of course - I've both read and seen it. Plus I am right before a kind of sad part. >.>

Melodias is horrible in how he behaves around Elizabeth. There is (something) of a point to it, but it can be rather cringe worthy how it is played for laughs most of the time. It might help to remember that this is a Shonen action/adventure series with heavy comedic elements. It isn't a true action/comedy like say One Punch Man, but like that series you're not supposed to take things too seriously. It is a bit like most such series, where a character might do horrible things but it is severely downplayed if it is supposed to be a (comedic) character flaw, the character did a heel/face turn, or both. I mean, most of us are fine with guys like Vegeta in Dragon Ball Z but his job used to be genocide for hire. =P

So... if it is really bothering you, it is not going to go away. If it ruins the series for you, it ruins the series for you.

Last edited:
Just finished watching Akame Ga Kill last night and holy crap it was freaking awesome, main characters could actually die, never had main character plot armor of immortality and the writing was also fing amazing! It is right next to Gurren Lagann and Code Geass for my list of best anime I have ever watched.

Ohhey, this thread again.

I've picked up a couple anime this season, Ace Attorney and Sailor Moon Crystal Infinity Arc. Both have been pretty great so far. AA is cheesy amusement and it's fun to see the game ported to anime, even if the production values are... sub par. SMC Infinity is so much better than S1/S2 that it makes me want to cry; this is my favourite arc of the SM story, so I'm really glad they're doing it justice.

AA is fine being sub-par in terms of animation as it's simple design in my opinions. SMC was really sketchy for me until the new season which made it a bit better. Right now I just finished up watching Erased which was amazing and I'm currently watching quite a few including Asterisk War and the remake of Ushio and Tora which right now have my full attention.

I just finished "watching" Fooly Cooly/FLCL. Why is "watching" in quotes you ask? Because I don't believe I watched anime, just a series of weird visual and audio combinations that formed a plot, or didn't, and WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL DID I JUST WATCH??!?!?!?

Out of the six episodes I have no clue what really happened during the first one, the second one, nor most of the sixth episode. With "flattening out the wrinkles of thought" did they mean Medical Mechanica was going to turn Earth into another Anti-Spiral planet or something? And why would it do that in the first place. Seriously, what did I just watch??? Also the most detailed thing I can remember about it was that there were anime guitars used as invincible weapons, mopeds, and good guitar music playing during most of the series.

I just finished catching up to the dubbed version of Durarara season 4, and my feelings can only be described in random keyboard strokes. This better be an on going series with the next episode coming out soon, so help me Arceus! Also according to funimation's website there are 4 more episodes that are not yet dubbed and so help me those 4 weeks will be very hard to wait through, but I will suffer through them for the love of Celty! Also having binge watched all of this Durarara all I can say is Celty Shinra OTP.....now to get a Durarara poster for my future college dorm room.

I just finished "watching" Fooly Cooly/FLCL. Why is "watching" in quotes you ask? Because I don't believe I watched anime, just a series of weird visual and audio combinations that formed a plot, or didn't, and WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL DID I JUST WATCH??!?!?!?

Out of the six episodes I have no clue what really happened during the first one, the second one, nor most of the sixth episode. With "flattening out the wrinkles of thought" did they mean Medical Mechanica was going to turn Earth into another Anti-Spiral planet or something? And why would it do that in the first place. Seriously, what did I just watch??? Also the most detailed thing I can remember about it was that there were anime guitars used as invincible weapons, mopeds, and good guitar music playing during most of the series.

FLCL can take a couple times of watching it in full to truly understand what is going on.

Though there's not really any real deep meaning from the director/writer, iirc. He just wanted to create a fun show with vague messages.

The best thing about that series, IMO, is the soundtrack. The rest of the series didn't click or resonate with me while it has with so many others.

I just finished catching up to the dubbed version of Durarara season 4, and my feelings can only be described in random keyboard strokes. This better be an on going series with the next episode coming out soon, so help me Arceus! Also according to funimation's website there are 4 more episodes that are not yet dubbed and so help me those 4 weeks will be very hard to wait through, but I will suffer through them for the love of Celty! Also having binge watched all of this Durarara all I can say is Celty Shinra OTP.....now to get a Durarara poster for my future college dorm room.

DRRR!! is quite a fun series. And you won't have to wait more than those 4 weeks since Funimation releases their simuldubs on a weekly basis like they do with their subtitled simulcasts that they license.

FLCL can take a couple times of watching it in full to truly understand what is going on.

Though there's not really any real deep meaning from the director/writer, iirc. He just wanted to create a fun show with vague messages.

The best thing about that series, IMO, is the soundtrack. The rest of the series didn't click or resonate with me while it has with so many others.

DRRR!! is quite a fun series. And you won't have to wait more than those 4 weeks since Funimation releases their simuldubs on a weekly basis like they do with their subtitled simulcasts that they license.
Apparently FLCL was about growing up and every character was a metaphor, Atomisk was adulthood, haruko (I think that was her name) was early adulthood, highschool dropout girl that had a cat was a metaphor for not wanting to do anything etc, or something, and nakumi was someone who's not ready to grow into adulthood. This all came from Akidearest's youtube video on trivia about FLCL, which I would post here but has inapropro language etc in it. And honestly FLCL doesn't make any fing sense until you watch her video....after which the entire series made sense and kind of blew my mind.

After finally having time to relax I binged watched Parasyte and OHMAHGAAHHHD I loved it. I can honestly say it's one of my favorite series, and I'm kind of sad there isn't a second season, which is probably for the best, but I got attached to all the characters. I also watched DRAMAtical Murder and it was meh. I was hoping for something pulled straight from the yaoi universe to be bit more... yaoi. I dunno I just feel like the entire series left too many questions and I guess I possibly overhyped it for myself.

After finally having time to relax I binged watched Parasyte and OHMAHGAAHHHD I loved it. I can honestly say it's one of my favorite series, and I'm kind of sad there isn't a second season, which is probably for the best, but I got attached to all the characters. I also watched DRAMAtical Murder and it was meh. I was hoping for something pulled straight from the yaoi universe to be bit more... yaoi. I dunno I just feel like the entire series left too many questions and I guess I possibly overhyped it for myself.
Umm I'm sorry but I actually don't know what yaoi, or simulcast mean, can someone translate?

Umm I'm sorry but I actually don't know what yaoi, or simulcast mean, can someone translate?
To keep it within the PG13 level, yaoi is essentially an anime where the protagonists, and I guess many characters within the anime, are gay (of the male/male variety). Simulcast is a simultaneous broadcast, which I guess in your case the sub and sub are released together.

Back